Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Returning Home (Je'gan)

The near disaster of five capital ships hitting the planet Atrisia had been barely avoided, thanks to a melding of minds lead by the very person who had been intent on conquering the world not long ago. In the aftermath, the rogue Jedi Master had rushed from building to building to free the souls trapped inside. Remembering the attitude of Force users on his home planet Nick had disguised his abilities by pretending to struggle lifting rubble, and had saved dozens in the process. Now all that was left was the withdrawal of Fringe forces, and the continued recovery of the damaged capital.

Nick sat in a small cafe, seated in the back corner. It had managed to survive almost untouched, and was nearly full of people trying to regain some sense of normality after what could only seem like utter chaos of the past few hours. Every person in the building was watching him, some with at least an attempt to disguise it others simply staring. All of them wondering who he was and why he was here of all places. Before Nick sat a pot of tea and a cup. Across the table, another cup waited for the person Nick expected to arrive.

Bringing the tea cup to his lips, Akio took a small sip of the liquid.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Anyone with fingers in the Jedi pie would recognize the face that Je'gan chose to put on full display as he settled down beside his fellow Master. That particular face had an odd and even awkward story attached to it: The shortest term of service ever from a Jedi Grandmaster, resulting in Jedi Masters being prosecuted and expelled for treason and various other abuses. Shortly after, he'd resigned, then spent a brief time running the Jedi prison -- many of the prisoners there being incarcerated for lesser crimes than those attributable to members of the Jedi Council. When it grew too much to stomach, Je'gan had vanished from public life.

And found one place in the galaxy that actually prized justice.

Though they'd never met, he and Nick Kahoshi had shared a student -- Coryth Elaris. Not that he knew he was to meet a Kahoshi today; he'd woven their powers together, but out of the exigencies of the moment he'd refrained from delving deeper. All he knew was that a Lightsider was on Atrisia, where no Lightsider should be without the knowledge of Mirien Valdier and her newest henchman.

He picked up the teacup and sipped gingerly, black eyes locked on the blue-eyed Atrisian across from him. Considering the planet, the racial features, the eye color, and the power level, there was really only one person this could be. "Master Kahoshi, I presume," said the traitor Grandmaster quietly. "Another of the conscientious objectors who give the lie to the Order's claims of righteousness. Jaxton Ravos, Boolon Murr, Rosa Mazhar, Seroth Ur-Rahn, even Siobhan Kerrigan and Senator Hion, not to mention my own students Aleidis Ijet and Coryth Elaris. Long, long lists of those who left for conscience's sake. Here I'm called Irreantum, but I think you know who I am, and having participated in my meld I think you know what side I've chosen. I never thought I would find more justice and honor in the Galactic Empire than in the Republic, and yet here I am."

It was certainly unexpected when Master Olra'en sat down. While Nick knew someone would be coming for him, and the presence had felt familiar, there had been a lot of presences mixed together and the two masters had never properly met before. His face gave nothing away of his inner thoughts, but that was one of the downsides to having the dark side pulled from his body. Emotions were so much a basis of the dark side, that most of them had been ripped from him as well. It left him clear minded, but made interacting with others difficult.

"I had wondered who would arrive," he said "My... son has changed many things since I left this world. Now Force users are registered, or so the news says. However I remember a time before the borders were opened. There were rumors, hushed words that invididuals would suddenly vanish without a trace. In rare circumstances after something extrodinary happened, such as items flying across the room. Forty years is a long time for mortals, but not so long for governments to change completly. Still, it is good to meet you 'Irreantum.' I left the Council a long time ago, but under your leadership it might have regained the honor it so long ago lost."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"You flatter me, Master Kahoshi. I seek honor. I do not possess it. Few leaders do. As Grandmaster I was uncompromising against hypocrisy while bearing my own share of guilt. Consider the old tale of the priest and the tax collector. In the temple the priest prayed to his gods, 'I thank thee that I am a righteous man, that you have justified me, risen me above the evils and failures of humanity.' And outside the temple, the tax collector wept and prayed, 'may the gods have mercy on me.' Though I cannot declare myself humble, Master Kahoshi, I can at least affirm that -- unlike the vast majority of those who call themselves Jedi in this day and age -- I know my own flaws and do not claim to be a righteous man. And I have no patience for those who do call themselves the righteousness of the Force. Forgive my bluntness, but in this day and age, the ideals of the Jedi -- equanimity, compassion, justice -- cannot be found in the Republic. And so I'll do what I've done for five hundred years."

He sipped his tea once more.

"I'll wait for a true Republic and a true Jedi Order to arise, and do the best I can with the allies and assets I'm given."

"I am similar to you in a respect," Nick said with a nod. "I have long known I am a sword of the Light, but I have never had illisions that I was the Light itself. Not that I was its only sword. I have dedicated myself to stamping out the darkness that corrupts this Galaxy, but every day it seems the battle becomes more and more daunting. I fear even the Republic and our former brethren are succumbing to it. The recent attack on Nar Shadaa? A noble cause perhaps, but the method and reasoning were anything but just."

The Jedi Master shook his head with something almost like disappointment. "Say what you will of yourself Master Olra'en, you have infinity more honor than this new Grand Master. She will be the ruin of the Order, and likely the Republic as a whole. Sad times indeed."

@Je'gan Olra'en

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
@[member="Nick Kahoshi"]

Je'gan grimaced. "The Council and I ordered them not to go to Contruum, where they provoked this war. There are times when i've considered looking up this Army of Light, but there are too many other things to do. Too many worlds to protect from the Republic."

"The Army of Light has a noble goal," Nick said perhaps a bit surprised that it was brought up. "I have tentative ties with them, however some of their members are a bit suspect. The Sith's presence in this Galaxy can never be considered acceptable, for their very faith demands conflict with others. And historically that conflict has killed more that we can count. That the Republic is approaching that level of villainy says dire things for the future of the Galaxy."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
@[member="Nick Kahoshi"]

Je'gan smiled faintly.

"One particular bit of Republic and Jedi history has been lost to time, friend. The Sith genocide on Korriban and Ziost. Supreme Chancellor Pultimo landed Republic troops on both worlds, and they went door to door killing everything. Because so long as there are Sith, Jedi will believe that the only good Sith is a dead Sith. I find I've had my fill of trying to justify murder. Virtually none of the powerful consider redemption a practical strategy."

"Some are to far gone in the darkside to ever be saved, a fact I know well from experience. But those who have not been lost, need to be shown the light once again." The former Grand Master was still worthy of respect clearly, even though he now hid within the borders of the Galactic Empire. "But philosophy is something to discuss another time I feel, after Jar'kai has been restored to some sense of normality. Which just leaves the matter of your intentions for me."

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
"I think you're a loyal son of Atrisia above all," said Je'gan bluntly, "or you wouldn't risk coming back here. That's the overriding concern. Beyond that, I'm not about to make an enemy for the government or the worlds that I serve. There are times to bend protocol. Besides, someday you might decide to come join me and help His Majesty make some kind of a difference. It'd certainly be safer, though, if you avoided this region unless necessary."

@[member="Nick Kahoshi"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom