Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Restoration Effort: Belazura

There was always a need for replanting. Worlds were torn to shreds by wars. The Empire of ancient history, the Vong, the Bryn of recent memory. Worlds that were still wild to many. So many fledgling governments staying to assist. So many failing in the promise.

The Levantines were still present in many worlds. But even their own they harmed. Their own capital of Laekia was an industrial world.

Vooltroo saw this. The challenge in many worlds.

His own personal herd ship, a yacht really, with a seed vault found itself on another world. One that had lost much to the Core.

Belazura.

He had some connections here, a group called ZINO. But specifically a Fallanassi and her small team. Landing his ship, Vooltroo stepped out.

A cart of weather chimes and another of seeds following.

It was time to get planting.

It was a rare sight when Gillom Rone was away from his herdship. The Vonnuvi was his home, as it was to his flock. But even the elder priest had to find purpose elsewhere from time to time. There was always more work to be done, it just didn't always require the presence of an entire city in the sky. They would do just fine without him for a day or two. They had earned that much trust from him.

Spotting his fellow Ithorian, Gillom thrummed contentedly. It was even more rare that he got the opportunity to speak without reliance on a translator, in such parts of the galaxy. He approached Vooltroo, eyes squinting in the Ithorian equivalent of a smile, "Greetings, brother! It is good to see kin from other parts of the galaxy. May I ask what ship you hail from? If a ship at all, I should say."

He looked around at their surroundings, and gestured towards it, "Do you know the story of this world?" It wasn't rhetorical, he was hoping Vooltroo could enlighten him.

There were many different approaches to rehabilitating a planet and Vooltroo had studied many of them. Perhaps it was why he enjoyed the solo-ness of his exile. Not necessarily an exile from the Ithorian people as a whole, but he was born a renegade. Born to a hardship that had heretics. Those who would infuse their own will on the natural order of Mother Jungle.

Seeing an elder, seeing any of his kind out working on the way Vooltroo did was a shock. And the first question asked was one that Vooltroo had a trouble answering. But the 'if any' left appropriate room. "Good day, brother. I do not hail from any specific hardship any longer." He indicated the small herd-shuttle, as it were, and looked back. "This is my own piece of Mother Jungle. I am Vooltroo."

An Ithorian without a family name. He knew the nature of his birth, but he remained apart from it.

"Belazura was a world of great beauty once. Then the mistakes of the galactic past arrived. Stripping it. Even now there are those looking to exploit the world." Vooltroo explained all the while prepping a converted probe droid that followed the carts to carry seeds, with the "seed bombs."

"But even now there are some who are working to feed the ones displaced and reclaim their land. They were ones who have contacted me in the past to provide a touch only our people truly have."

Though they did seem willing to learn.

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

Gillom thrummed again, albeit with curious intonation this time. Vooltroo was alone and nameless, traveling via his own, miniature herdship of sorts. Wherever he was from before was unnamed. Undoubtedly peculiar, but the shepherd was nothing if not open-minded. "I am Gillon Rone. Elder Priest of the Vonnuvi." He introduced himself properly.

Belazura once held great splendor it seemed. But the years had been unkind to its ecosystem, and not enough was being done to turn the tide. GIllom stroked his wispy beard, studying the probe droid Vooltroo finagled with. "I see. Then your mission is a noble one." He stepped forward, seeming a little taller now, "Perhaps I could be of help. Me and my herd pride ourselves on our restorative efforts. Though I don't quite have their full might behind me today, knowledge does not separate so easily."

An elder priest. Of their own headship. That was something to intimidate the solo Ithorian. Even Vooltroo understood a hardship of one was not much of a herd. He was a renegade of the Jungle by birth and choice. When given the chance at his own coming of age, Vooltroo assumed his blend of genetic engineering and Force infusion to plants would not be welcome. However he felt that there was a more forward approach to assisting the galaxy as a whole.

And he took his small herd ship and left.

The Jungle Vine was his home. Connecting to the Jungle but exploring its own way.

"A joy to meet you, Elder Rone." The appropriate bow was give. Unironically.

"I would enjoy the opportunity to sow with my own kind again. This world has a small gathering of like minded beings from other species. They should be gathering at a small settlement this evening." Vooltroo made a motion to the area. "But they helped till this region with one of their airspeeders."

Till was an overstatement. The local substrate was still very rocky.

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"Then we shall do so," Gillom said, contentment shining through an otherwise droning, stereo voice. He stepped forward, planting his cane against the rocky soil as he looked out over the land, "Work is already being done then. Good." A ways to go, to be sure. But progress was progress. "You seem to know much more than I of Belazura. Lead the way."

Waiting to follow along with Vooltroo, Gillom asked, "These like minded beings. Are they locals? An organization? A motley crew of well-to-do's?" He chuckled, "I suppose it's a pleasant sight either way. One that never gets old even for me," It reminded him of his herdship. He saw it often, and each time he was warmed by the accomplishments of his people and their visions.

Having others to work on this task was going to make this much easier. Vooltroo was excited to work alongside Priest Rone. The lessons of Mother Jungle were wonderful to share, but having a companion with the innate knowledge of generations of the lessons? It made it all the more fulfilling, like being part of a herd once again.

Could there be hope for Vooltroo?

“I provided them with some lessons and understanding of the natural world. They did the rest.” Vooltroo gave an Ithorian expression of pride in his teachings at that. “They are a bit of this and that, as they say. The leader appears to be native to this world. I’m not certain she is the true leader, given her seedling status. Though others have traveled to this world, apparently following her message.”

Or expressing a disdain for the status quo. Vooltroo could only hope for a movement similar to the one on Denon, but for plants. Motioning for Priest Rone to follow, Vooltroo started to walk, the probe droids following, but a bag of seeds along his belt, all the same. Walking towards where the open field was, there were a few small gardens, for food.

“The intent is to replant a grove here… There were once large trees here, but when the corporations moved in…” He motioned, the land was damaged, rock piles were recently removed, and the remains of trees were present.

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"A good leader can carry a mission far," Whoever this person was, it seemed they had the potential to make something of all this. All the more reason for Gillom to see for himself. He followed Vooltroo through the broken land, brought about by those who would exploit it. The Ithorian deflated at the remains he saw, "A pity."

"This is what shortsightedness leads to,"
a desire only for immediate pleasures. Immediate payment. No question of the future or its potential, "If only they could see what might come of a more harmonious path." Perhaps they could show it here today. But a bit of pessimism in the back of the Elder's mind tried to convince him otherwise. "Do such corporations still have stake in this world?"

“It is what I’ve been told about her, she is a very good leader, and a great figurehead. Youthful sapling. More than gracious to the people who remain on Belazura, and helps all that deserve it. Not just as a reciprocity.” Which was good. Spreading the spores of cooperation around? That made Vooltroo a happy Ithorian. It was a stark contrast to how he felt when he saw the world around him.

Broken and torn.

Resources stolen.

So many beings have forsaken their Mother Jungle. Not every case may be a jungle, but each planet was made to support the life that existed on it. Certain corporations, or government approaches were damaging. Society as a whole, with greed and gluttony, made it worse.

“This group lead by Zenitha Chuma Zenitha Chuma are very much working towards a harmonious path. They have begun using alternative fuels to power their small settlements. With how out in the woods they appear, I believe the corporations have a large stake. Though I’ve allowed the more soft-skinned species…”
Meaning human or human like… “to lead that front.” Vooltroo could feel the Force within him, and even now, within the soil.

There was still life here.

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"That is good to hear," Gillom Rone wheezed peacefully, "Perhaps where previous generations have failed, this one can succeed. But it is a pity that they must fight for their own future." Existence should not be a privilege. Those brought into his galaxy had to right to live in it as it was, not spoiled by the makings of man and its greed.

"I see it now more than ever before. The Vonnuvi thrives with its cosmopolitan growth, not in spite of it. More and more turn to dreams of unity." There was much anguish in the galaxy as well, but Gillom still believed in the innate goodness of others; That the tide would turn towards those who sought peace, "Hopefully, it is not too late."

“Some of the newer generation see the problems the past have created. Others are the ones who benefit from the past mistakes. From their elders. But others seem to see the problem in the biomes. And wish to fix it.” Vooltroo took one of the seed bombs from his satchel. “They’ve been working with me to spread these.” He handed it off to Gillom.

To combat the corporate overlords, the locals were creating small balls of seeds and clay and fertilizer. They were throwing them into the areas that could support life without any large work done to the ground.

“I have been told it is never too late, so long as someone is ready to keep fighting.” And that was part of what this whole group did.

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"Perhaps it is time for us to become more proactive. The Vonnuvi has long served struggling worlds. But if more could be done to stop such tragedies from occurring in the first place, then all the better." Easier said than one of course. They could amplify their efforts, but it didn't guarantee preservation or protection. And it's not like the Vonnuvi had any sort of extrajudicial authority over how others conducted themselves. All the same, it was worth trying, "Collaborating with groups such as this ought to help promote a unified front, if nothing else."

Gillom took the seed bomb offered to him, weighing it in his hand. He could feel the natural life inside of it, waiting to take root and blossom, "An outlook I sometimes must remind myself I share. I've seen many things in my years, and it can wear down even the mightiest of hearts. But I have also seen great triumph and beauty, in the face of those adversities." He sighed, "The course will be righted. Sooner, or later."

Proactive. That was what he wanted to hear. If the Elder was on the same mindset, maybe Vooltroo could join a herd, he could become one, unified with a jungle again. Travel to a herdship when he needed the rest and recuperation. “Vonnuvi is your herdship, correct?” Vooltroo was always learning, always seeking. “Preventing tragedies is hitting at the root of the problem, greed. And I am not certain we can affect that level of change. But working with those on the ground…” Grassroots efforts, they were called, but Vooltroo needed to not always speak in plant analogies.

“There is no choice sometimes, but to fight. But to be the ones who shape the change. Much like the message of these seeds. Will they all take to the soil? No, but it will make those who receive them think twice.”
Eliminating a food plant for some industry? For some over priced commercial development? They would think of the return to more simple times.

Of course, in a technology heavy galaxy…

“It has to be righted.”
A toss of the seed bomb and it was sent a distance Vooltroo did not care to walk. “But it does try the faith.”

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"Yes," Gillom confirmed, pride immediately enveloping his tone and expression, "It is a beautiful herd. I have been honored to serve it these many years."

"The Vonnuvi is home to many Ithorians and non-Ithorians alike. We pride ourselves on our service as a sanctuary city. Refugees from war-torn and destroyed worlds often find a home there. Our ecological domes are constructed to represent a piece of those lost worlds. Something for them to hold on to, if they need it. We even have a Jedi Enclave on board now, and they have done excellently in acquainting themselves with our mission."
He did a double take towards Vooltroo, and chuckled, "Apologies. I do not mean to drag on. I cannot help myself when thinking of home."

"Change in nature can often be uncomfortable. Even painful. But it happens all the same. Sometimes, we must emulate that, if the grass is to grow greener the next season."
Gillom agreed. Civilization was prone to stagnation, laziness. The Ithorians, though often lumbering and slow by individual standards, were always one the move. Such was their way of life, traveling the galaxy in herdships, all the while tying themselves so closely to nature.

What passed for a smile came across the features of Vooltroo. He did miss even the ship he had escaped from many a year ago. “The families, our herds. They are what makes us. Makes us part of the galaxy.”

Giving others a home. That was what it was about. What he wanted to do in the galaxy. “War torn beings need their home. Is it the smartest to bring Jedi into the herd? Stories I have heard through the vine…” Some Jedi weren’t so bad. But when they tried to take the lead? It could cause problems.

“Are those in your herd working to reduce the stagnation? To keep water running and bringing the help people need to make the different choice? The hard choice?”

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"Yes." Gillom said plainly. He understood the hesitance from Vooltroo, but was quick to reject presumptions, "I would not have let them establish themselves on the Vonnuvi if I did not trust their responsibility or intentions. I had every reason to put faith in their leader, and it has paid off." He affirmed, "The relationship is symbiotic." Perhaps if the enclave were beholden to a greater galactic government, he might have been concerned about political meddling. But despite some overlap, the Vonnuvi Jedi were an independent sect, aligned with the goals of their hosts.

"We do all that we can, and are permitted to do. A lone herdship cannot reshape an entire planet. Nor is it always our right to do so. We might encourage and nurture that change. But at the end of the day, it is the responsibility of the people there to lead themselves." He sighed, "If there are any left at all." Some worlds had received so much abuse that why could not even hold a people, let alone a government or leadership capable of making changes.

"We are making our way to Lao-mon in a few weeks. With any luck we can reestablish some communication between them and the wider galaxy, given them an outlet through which to rebuild. And the Jedi will be tracking down remnants of the Maw."

As always, there was hesitation from the renegade Ithorian. Being without a herd made life very difficult, made it tricky to be trusting of the larger groups. Being away from a herd for so long made him feel that others were only temporary in life. And with some of the other groups out there? They could bring ruin. “Very interesting. I have learned there tend to be sects within the Jedi, but I only see the sword-jockies.” A term he heard somewhere else. Not a Vooltroo original.

“No, one group cannot affect change that drastically. It must be systemic. The group ZINO appears to be spreading grass roots around, and that makes me feel better for their approach. They want to change the world.”
They take the inspiration where they can find it, is what Vooltroo understood.

“The Jedi provide some sense of protection?”

Gillom Rone Gillom Rone

"There is a throughline that nearly all Jedi match. But each deviates in their interpretations and methods. Some exemplify their religion better than others," He seemed to smile wryly, "But who am I to speak on what is or is not a Jedi? I am not one myself, nor am I learned in all their texts. And so it is hardly for me to decree. But I know that this group is one I trust as part of my herd."

Discourse moved back to the group at hand briefly, and the priest nodded, "As long as they keep that fire, then this world might just have a second chance." A desire was all well and good, but without the will to act on that desire, it ultimately meant little.

“The Jedi provide some sense of protection?”

"Indeed." Gillom confirmed, "They protect us on dangerous missions. And in the Vonnuvi's line of work, many missions carry such risk. They are also an effective deterrent from trouble to begin with. Would-be pirates are far less inclined to follow through on their threats when you announce the presence of a whole Jedi temple on board." He chuckled knowingly, speaking from experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom