Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Canon Company Claims

Would you like to see canon company claims removed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since canon companies seem to be a topic of discussion lately, I want to get an idea as to how people feel about them in general.

Currently, anyone on the board is free to use any canon company's canon product that they manufacture, regardless of who owns the company. This means that if you want an X-Wing, Incom can't tell you that you can't have one because they own the company and therefore cannot report your use of the product. Canon products are open to anyone to use. So there is no inherent benefit to owning a canon company on that end.

Next, a canon company is not granted any additional benefits with respect to initial tier. All companies begin at a max of tier 2, unless they are within a major faction that uses the mandate permitting Tier 3 to start. No benefits to canon companies there.

Additionally, canon companies are vulnerable to being taken over if the owner undergoes a period of inactivity exceeding 30 days (60 if they respond to the initial warning but fail to actively use the company between the 30 and 60 day window.) Chaos Canon companies have no such limitation.

Canon companies are tracked, and at present, their subsidiaries are treated as different companies and require another writer to own them on your behalf if you wish to essentially collect them.

All of this makes canon companies essentially irrelevant, save for owning the namesake behind them.

Removing claims removes all of these issues and allows folks to use canon products at any production level. (Provided they meet whatever factory requirements are in place for example, starship size limits for individuals, minor and major factions, etc.)

[member="Mereel Vaun"]

No. Canon companies would be abolished. Only what they have produced via canon would be allowed going forward. (Save for whatever has been produced in the past, those affiliations would stand, or the owner could alter the manufacturer to a new company if they so choose.)

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I've RPed a canon company since I first came to this board. I've never said a person couldn't use a canon item from the company, I've activly told people they can tag the company name onto any submission they make if they so want. I like RPing within the history set up in canon by the company. It's the same reason people come from certain planets or use names of canon families which a considerable amount of people do. I'd rather not have five? years of good RP be destroyed overnight.

This vote pops up every once in a while and not once have I heard a rationale that makes sense to me.

The initial post sums up a few disadvantages to owning a Canon Company and then for some reason links that to "Why not remove them entirely?". But it's the factory that put up all these barriers.

Why not just ease these disadvantages and stop knee-capping people who want to write Canon Companies?

Voted no on my writer account by the way, because I can't vote with my other accounts for some reason.

[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The problem that I see with that is that not every canon company is Incom. Some of us want the name/location and like the notion of developing Wookieepedia stubs into fully-fleshed out entities through roleplay.

According to the stub for Corellia Digital, the company is only noted for making data-cards and small holographic generators in canon. I wanted a company with a basis in Corellia for the historical connection this character has with Corellia and taking a stub allowed me to develop the company in whatever direction I wanted. And Sasori Research, the Silver Jedi, and the Kathol Outback all helped me to create a unique version of a canon concept that is wholly Chaos in genesis.

So if this rule went through, my Tier 5 is just going to go away?

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Sor-Jan Xantha said:
The problem that I see with that is that not every canon company is Incom. Some of us want the name/location and like the notion of developing Wookieepedia stubs into fully-fleshed out entities through roleplay.
Sums up my experience writing MandalMotors

I don't have a canon company, but I've run a couple of them and I see the appeal. Some people - dozens of people, according to the canon company holder list - just want to play canon company X. That creates a lot of content. I'm voting no.

Disclaimer- I don't own a canon company and never will.

This feels like a huge slap in the face to people who have put in the work and jumped through the hoops. And using factory policy that limits something as a reason to remove a thing because it's limited is really circular.

[member="Corey's OOC"]

This is my worry. Most new people who join will just try and sub things that are canon and being told they can't because that company doesn't exist is just gonna confuse people. Canon companies are great for new people or people who don't know what Chaos company is best.

There's too much work that's been put into canon companies to now remove them because one writer can't read and abide by the rules. The site has always used canon companies, they've worked well as part of the RP experience, and there's no need to change that.

I'd be okay with this passing through. (and this is me as the owner of BlasTech)

Simply remove the titles from the equation, allow current canon owners the ability to rename their current canon companies and keep their tiers. Then just make the canon companies themselves accessible for use where it is cannon HQ'd in Major Faction territory.

That way, canon companies can still be used by Major factions as perks if they control the planet where it is at. Makes it relatively simple. No lists or anything. Just do the same as any canon link of the company under manufacturer with the wookiepedia link showing where it is at and the FJ just needs to see the map to confirm.

This means all that work is still validated and they still have their tiers and products they submitted, no one needs to worry about canon companies, and it is a far more flexible option.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
I remember when we did this before, well it was no more canon companies and everyone changed their company names. It was alright I guess didn't really seem to change anything. So I would really be indifferent about it.

Jamie Pyne said:
To clarify people:

Nobody is going to take away your company. All of your work, current tier, and all affiliated submissions would be retained. You would just change the name of the company.
That would be taking the company away.

I built my entire character around the company and the lore of the company. To me this is like saying "Why not remove canon planets". You want to RP a Hapan? Nah dawg can't do that because Hapan is canon and can't be RPed. And once again I've actively encouraged other RPers to join in and RP with me. I've tried to make accommodation to people over the years so everyone can get their toys and I've never said someone can't post the company as a manufacturer. I like the canonical backdrop for RP just like some people like to RP Hapan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom