Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Redress In The Face Of Remorse

The desert winds whipped at the auburn waves of his hair, tugging at the draping material which covered his sensitive pale skin from the worst of the blazing sun. As Arcturus came upon the agreed upon meeting place, he was met with the sight of the Contra-Usul of Mercuitie and his entourage beneath a great white canopy. Having come alone, save for the trunk-hauling golem whose tiny legs hurried to keep up, the sight of the set up was most unexpected. A large blanket had been set out, kept free of sand as though some magical barrier lay over it, atop which a series of cushions had been gently placed.
Darien sat, cross-legged and back straight, looking every part the Divine despite his position on the ground. He radiated strength, at least that was how Arcturus saw it, no doubt spurred on by all the indignities he'd been witness to. The power dynamic between the two had shifted slightly, he realized. Mercurius had the moral upper hand.
Lay beside him, with his head in the man's lap, was the cause of this friction, Theryn. No, not cause he realized even as that thought came to mind. He and Rhiannon were the cause, weren't they, for their folly. She had come undone, and he had not noticed until much too late. The sprightly fae-like man was turned away from Arcturus, facing into Darien's chest, his hair was was being delicately stroked, curls mussed by the God of Prosperity's hand. Though Arcturus could not see it, he held on tightly to Darth Stuffty.
He recognized Darien's speakers, but beyond them were servants who stood fanning the pair. One even held a curious little creature, a palm-sized dragon that snoozed soundly upon the attendant's shoulder, gently tethered so as to keep it from getting lost amidst the desert wastes.
Theryn looked to be asleep, his breathing was well measured, but he was in fact not. The hand which wasn't clutching at the teddy was gently brushing against Darien's outer thigh, for his own sake as much as to comfort his saviour. It kept him grounded as he recovered, and Arcturus could tell that he was very much still recovering. Gone was the ever-present glimmer of hope and excitement, his very presence had dulled and quietened as though he was set within a deep depression he could not claw his way out of.
Perhaps that was why Darien had agreed to Arcturus' request that Theryn also be present, the boy seemed rather dependent on him right now after all.
So Arcturus approached. With a gesture of his hand the golem halted, and set down the chest... then it simply stood there vacantly. Without a command to follow it was without purpose and thus could not do much of anything at all. The only sign that it was still somewhat alive came in the form of softly swinging arms, like cloth in the breeze.
"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me, Mercurius," he said, inclining his head as he did. Arcturus still held a strong presence, even in his state of remorse he could not afford to seem weak in front of worshipers. All the same, he knew that he was the one on the backfoot and would act accordingly.

Last edited:
The Desert was sweltering, dry and unpleasant. There was some mercy to be found in the space within the great white canopy with the shade it offered and the shelter it afforded against the dusty wind but it was nothing on the shelter that would have been afforded by the Grand City of Mercuitie. Darien would not host the pantheon or any individual member of it there though. Not until his anger had faded. Not until he thought that he could trust that he had not joined a party awash in madness and cruelty.

It was perhaps unfair in fact to characterise the group as such. there were really only two but as it stood they were the dominant voice. A queen bee so lost in her own paranoia that she seemed bent on killing anything that could not to counted on to be wholly and unquestioningly loyal and obedient. Then there was the Mad dog who was their paragon of war. A being who seemed to have no grasp of moderation. Who's justification for killing was so weak that Darien might have used it to kill every person on the planet who could do anything more than breathe in a consistent rhythm. What would that man do in an actual war? Just fight until everything was dead? How would they grow?

Darien was furious but he was also terrified. He had seen in that meeting everything that he thought he would see. A ruling class of children, the short-sighted and a man who had claimed ultimate authority and then refused to grasp the controls. Who had made and made without ever stopping to think or plan? Leaving all to a wife who was scared her own shadow might stab her in the back. These people had seized a planet but seemed to have no concept of what it took to actually make it function.

What would stop them from killing him? What would stop the Natives from killing them when the novelty of new gods wore off? When they were ruled only by the shedding of blood. What was the point in them if they were just going to lower themselves to base and tribal ideas? when problems were solved by bashing them on the head and hoping they never grew too large to bash. The only thing that convinced him he had been right to agree to be part of Arcturus' band was the man lying in his lap.

What would have become of Theryn if he had not been there?

Theryn was in pieces and that was having had some measure of comfort and companionship through the process. Having been taken away from the place caused him such trauma. What would he be like if he'd been kept there? Theryn was already practically mute and dejected. Left there he'd probably be a husk. That assumed of course that he would not already be dead.

Beyond the cruel way, he had been forced to listen to the mad rantings and justifications for killing him for existing he had not been kept in overly harsh conditions. He had been in a guest room and not a cell. All the same, Darien could see he was traumatised and the only way Darien knew to deal with that was to coddle Theryn. So in the days since the 'Trial' Theryn had been expected to do almost nothing for himself. If he wanted something it was fetched, when he wanted to move he was carried, his every whim pandered too.

Darien hadn't even wanted to bring him to this meeting but he had insisted and it was plain that without Darien nearby he would crumble. He sometimes fretted when Darien was too far away in the same room. So Darien had let him come but taken every precaution to make him comfortable. Where Darien was in sharp-edged sculptural clothing, Theryn was draped in soft loose-fitting clothing in soft pinks which seemed to be his preference. Darien had also forgone the usual furnishings so that Theryn could lay in his lap and close to the earth which seemed to comfort him.

What was keeping the drifting sand off their blanket he did not know but he suspected that was Theryn's doing. Though Theryn hardly spoke he had been urging Darien to comfort himself in other ways. Blankets and glasses of water floated over rooms. Candles and lights put out when the hour grew late.

Sand kept from a blanket seemed a logical step.

Darien's posture held firm, supported only by his own will as he watched Arcturus approach. There was a blanket laid out for Arcturus about 6 feet away from the one Darien sat on but he did not offer it. He offered no incline of his head but he would have stood if not For Theryn lying comfortably against his leg.

"Desdinova" he greeted as he moved his fingers through Theryn's hair with more intensity to offer him greater comfort "Let us not pretend I had much choice ... we both know the price that would have been exacted if I had refused... my position is obviously precarious enough as it is"

He tilted his head "Shall we simply move on to what you desire of me?" He asked "Afterall we are both under your command as you said at the sky temple"

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

Though he knew it was for the sake of those natives who were present, the way in which Darien said the name Desdinova left Arcturus feeling oddly hollow, cold even despite the sun which beat down on him. He hadn't approached close enough to be within the shade of the canopy, and nor did he have any plans to as much as his pale skin cried out against the heat.
The fingers teasing through his hair helped keep Theryn from stiffening when he heard Arcturus' approach, his voice. His muscles tensed slightly, but otherwise he was okay. In fact, from the sand beside the blanket he forced into existence a series of small flowers, alternating pink and purple on their thin stems, and allowed the air around he and Darien to become softly fragrant. To help ease them both. He could tell that his little Petal was not happy, not happy at all.
"I'm sorry I gave the impression that you had no choice in this," Arcturus stated. "That was not my intention. Much of what I have to say was meant to be said back at the Sky Temple, and I fear it may seem as though I am hoping to soften you back up, placate you, with what I am here for. That is not my intention. But before any of that, I have deep apologies to make."
He took one step closer, still not close enough to be on top of them, or even touching the blanket laid out for him, and sank to his knees. His gaze drifted from Darien down to Theryn, and his firm brow softened into a crumple.
"I should have stepped in sooner. I did not realize that they were pushing for your execution, I was under the impression that we were simply figuring out what to do with you to keep all parties safe. I will not, cannot, excuse my wife's actions, because they are inexcusable. I do not condone any of what happened. I do not expect you to trust me, or to forgive me, but I apologize all the same; I am deeply sorry for what happened." His eyes flicked back to Darien. "Sorry to both of you. I have not upheld my end of our agreement... But I swear to you now that I will."
Part of him had wanted to ask Theryn to turn so that he could apologize to his face, that was why he'd wanted the lad here after all, but seeing him in such a broken state made that feel like a mighty cruel ask. So he didn't ask it.
"I have taken the reins of the Pantheon for the foreseeable future. I believed that because she was regarded as Adamanthea ahead of me that I had to bow to Rhiannon's wishes, especially in her land, but I know now that was folly. I should have stopped this the moment her paranoia began to grow. No more."
Why should Darien even want him to lead, though? Why would he ever trust him again? Arcturus knew that was likely cycling through his mind.
"I am not so bold as to presume that I can do this alone, however. I had plans to ask you to be my right-hand man here in this desert we share. Now? Now I ask that you fulfil such a role on a much greater scale. That your voice become balanced with my own going forward. For why shouldn't the God of Mediation have a voice and hand in all things? Take your time to decide on this. I just see all that you have done for Mercuitie and your people and know that the rest of us could benefit from such sound judgement and leadership."
Part one said, he turned his head toward the rocky mountains they were currently set within. A thoughtful expression fell over the man, and then he stood once more.
"Whether you choose to accept what I have just offered you or not, I extend to you the lands from these mountains east toward the sea. Ámathosia is to be split into two nations, you may name your new province whatever you wish and will reign here without interference. King, Prince, Contra-Usul, whatever title you wish to go by is your decision to make. I only waited in telling you so that I had the time to draw up a map. You will find it, among other promised gifts, within this trunk."
Apology done, position offered, land given... Arcturus wasn't sure if there was anything left to say or do here in truth. Certainly it looked as if the two of them would rather be anywhere other than in his presence. And yet seeing Theryn made him halt in what would have been his retreat.
"Is there anything I can do to help him?"

Darien had called Arcturus what he did to wither him. It had not been for the benefit of the Natives, they did not speak basic, they would not know what was being said. 'Arcturus' Could mean anything. Yet Darien had chosen not to use the moniker the pharaoh of these lands had ordained be used by friends and family. Darien was not sure if he could be friends with Arcturus at the present time. It was True that Arcturus had not done anything to Theryn beyond ordering him to be taken away ... yet it was his inaction which was the problem. This was a situation as much of his making as anyone's.

He had not meant it to keep Arcturus out in the oppressive sun though. The Pharoh's skin was unsuited to the desert in the height of the day of the three of them he would burn the fastest. He didn't beckon him forward either though, in fact, Darien was largely focused on Theryn. That was who really needed him at the moment. That was who he cared to look after and give comfort to. Feeling Theryn tense in his lap he gave all his attention to the man. combing his fingers a little further down to tickle the back of Theryn's neck. Some of the sand next to their shared blanket began to bulge and drift though it did not settle on the blanket. Its flow unnaturally went only one way as a bloom pushed up next to the blanket. Pink and purple, not a bloom that naturally grew in the desert but one which was very clearly intended to symbolise the two of them. It had their favourite colours after all. He smiled down at Theryn "Look how beautiful it is" he whispered in a gush knowing he was not likely to get a verbal answer. The air became saturated with the floral scents of the flowers as Darien began carefully plucking and threading flowers into Thery's curls.

His eyes drifted back to Arcturus as the man began to speak, still standing beyond the canopy.

It seemed Arcturus was beset upon by impressions and realities that were not his intention. A sign he had lost his grip on things if ever there was one. Darien frowned "It is the way things are," he said. Even if Arcturus would not hold any refusal to comply against Darien he could not say the same for others. "If the meeting had been proof of one thing it was proof of that" he sighed Rhiannon did not like dissent competing voices and neither did the Dinn family attack dog.

Arcturus came closer still but did not cross the threshold of the cloth shelter, even as he now stood right at the entrance of it before dropping onto his knees and launching straight into his apology before Darien could urge him to come in out of the sun. The first was to Theryn and Darien could say nothing about that, Nor was he certain if Theryn accepted it or even heard it. Certainly, he seemed to stay facing into Darien's chest, curled up almost unmoving. Just the tiniest of movements showed he was still awake. The apology to Darien himself was met with a curt nod. It was true that Arcturus had promised something that had not happened. He swore things would be different now ... but he had sworn before. Darien was undecided about whether to accept the apology.

He could not leave Arcturus in the sun a moment longer though, not without making clear that he could come in if he chose "The blanket was for you Desdinova" he explained gesturing "You are free to use it and get out of the sun" He would not press further than that, truthfully he was not the aggrieved party. Not the most aggrieved one anyway it had been Theryn that had suffered but since the prince was still silent Darien had to speak for him as best he could. Would Theryn want Arcturus to suffer in the sun?

Whatever Theryn might have wanted Darien had said it now and Arcturus would do as he willed before continuing with his speech.

Arcturus gave reasons for not having stepped up and taken any measure of the control one with his title should have done but they mattered little to Darien. Arcturus had asked him to be a part of his team and then completely abdicated his responsibilities. He had left everything of import to his wife and it seemed now he had realised she was not up to the mark. He wanted Darien as his right-hand man. He claimed it had always been his intention to ask Darien to work closely with him in ruling the Desert but now he wanted his guidance in ruling the whole pantheon and then the kingdom beyond. In effect ruling his family. It was a lot to think about but he was given time. was there enough time in the galaxy to decide though? The whole thing smacked of a poison chalice and yet...

What if it was the only way he could survive? He certainly thought he had it in him to make the enterprise work with him in it and in his city.

He wished he had someone to talk it through with. Someone who could give him wise counsel but he stood alone here. He might have trusted Theryn, silly as it was to put such a decision in the hands of someone he had barely known a week, but Theryn was mostly mute. As he dwelled in his thought Arcturus announced another offering. He was to be given domain over half of the desert, all the land east of his city and the mountains they sat within. There was little choice for him in that beyond what title he would take. That could wait for advice from Theryn after all he knew what it was to be royalty.

"You have given me a lot to think about," he said "I still have yet to decide whether I can trust you again ... You claimed this position, this title, these lands and then stood aside and let them descend into chaos and avoiding that was the one thing that made me agree to join my fate to yours"

Arcturus seemed like he was about to leave but before Darien could bid him to stay he halted and looked again at Theryn's still curled-up form. How could he help? well, Darien couldn't answer that.

"I don't know Lord Dinn, we shall have to see if he can tell us ... but I would not have you make me a bad host as well as a fool, you will stay for a refreshment at the very least" Let it not be said Darien did not know how to treat guests. His speakers said something in the native tongue and then one Zaathri and one Shaal were carrying a tray of drinks and finger foods to Arcturus.

Darien leant down to Theryn "Dear could you try to tell Lord Dinn if there is anything he can do to help you ?"

Theryn seemed to relax some at the gushed words and flower laced through his hair, responding pleasantly to both. He knew that he would have to sit up soon, knew that he could not hide away like this. They had already dubbed him a weak and worthless being, little more than a crying child, he could not let such continue to stand. But in that moment, with Arcturus' voice drifting around them, he remained put.
Bid to rest in the shade, instead of standing beneath its oppressive rays, Arcturus stepped into the canopy and proceeded to sit upon the blanket. His, unlike Darien's, did not remain sans sand, but that did not bother him. He worked closely with sand on a daily basis, after all, it was his most used medium.
"Thank you" he said, it did feel much better to be out of the heat. He lowered the thin hood which had allowed his face to be spared the worst of it, then settled his hands within his lap. His golem also lumbered forward, bringing the trunk inside, off to one side so it was not in the way.
When he was done with the business he had come here concerning, Arcturus fell silent and listened to what Darien would retort with. Understandably so, he was uncertain as to whether or not he could trust him in any of this.
"Your wariness is understood, Darien, I expect you to have your misgivings. Know that the land I give you is yours, and none shall be permitted to intervene with it. Regardless of whether you choose to stand as my right hand man, that will remain so."
As for having stood aside... "I see my folly, and take responsibility for it wholeheartedly. Love can blind you, but that is not an excuse for how things played out. I will do better going forward. It is time I cast aside the heavy mantles of my past, I cannot afford to be passive as a slave in this, and I am sorry it took me this long to realize that."
One way or another, Thesh had to die.
Even as he himself intended to leave, it seemed Darien would not have it. So he sat once more, as food and drinks were provided, and Darien spoke softly to the man in his lap.
Theryn nodded into his chest, then slowly but surely began to unfurl himself. He sat up, at first just facing Darien but then he shifted until he was facing Arcturus. Even his hands did not cling to his saviour in that moment, no he had to be strong for himself.
How could Lord Dinn help him? "A ship" he said softly, voice wavering to begin with, weak, not daring to look back at Darien lest he lose his cool. "One to pass the guns."
As soon as those words were uttered, he would press his mind to Darien's. I do not intend to leave he assured him. Not permanently at least.
Arcturus sighed.
"We can't risk --"
"Do not think me a fool" he interrupted, his voice though hoarse taking on a more authoritative edge befitting a Prince. "I would never risk Darien by bringing others here. Never. But I have people who will notice that I am missing. Who may follow flight logs that I cannot erase from here. I have reasons to stay, and reasons to go, and I wish to be able to have both. You have the means, so provide it. It is the least you can do."
Arcturus looked from Theryn to Darien, then back again. It was a lot to think about, wasn't it? He had yet to touch any of the provisions set before him, and frankly he did not know if he could in that moment.
It was true, he did have the means to acquire a ship, one capable of being stealthed. The same kind, in fact, that Zachariah Conway Zachariah Conway had arrived in.
"Trust... It works both ways. I cannot expect either of you to trust me, if I do not show that I can trust you in turn. I will see what I can do to remedy this."
Theryn was quick to crumple after that. It had taken a lot for him to strengthen up, to talk never mind with such authority and conviction. Satisfied, he lay back down and faced Darien, almost as though he'd never sat at all. His fingers were more incessant as he gently ran them across Darien's leg for comfort.
Think of all the good you could do, Petal he finally whispered through the Force, addressing all that Arcturus had set before him, It could bring an end to this madness... Either way, I will support you. I... I don't wish to be anywhere but with you.
Was that too much? Would Dari see it as too much too fast? Theryn couldn't deny his feelings, though, it was perhaps the clearest indicator that he was still himself deep down.

Darien thanked the force that the flowers had worked he could see Theryn was suffering his form was riddled with tension but at least the flowers in his hair seemed to help. In their short time in proximity, he had noticed that Theryn liked to have his curls played with in times of stress. There would be no rushing to get Theryn up into a seated position, nor to make him face his demons. Darien considered demon-facing overrated in any event. Theryn would be shielded for as long as he needed. Looking down at Theryn he whispered into his mind "When we get home again Theryn you are going to have a nice long soak in the bath and then I'll brush your hair" He had a nice ceramic brush that always helped relieve tension in his own head.

Arcturus heeded him to come closer and lifted off his hood. It was visible on his skin how the sun affected him. It was an odd choice to place himself in the desert but then Darien had ended up in the same place and he was only marginally better suited. Darien's invitation to come into the shade had seemingly put his guest at greater ease. He was no longer kneeling and there was a marked change more broadly from when he had been sat in the sun. Thanks were given and Darien nodded in acknowledgement "I could not have one of the Dyad seen to suffer in the sun on my watch" His words were a little less sharp than it had been on other matters.

Misgivings

That seemed insufficient to describe the tumultuous mix of feelings Darien was experiencing. He could draw on no better word though and so he said nothing on that point. Arcturus sought to stress that the grant of land would be his and protected whether or not Darien took him up on being his right hand "I should hope so" was the simple reply to that. One of his biggest fears was that the Dinn family would tire of having an incomplete monopoly on power and do away with him.

"I fear not all the members of your family adopt the same mindset as you on that point though," he thought specifically of Forrest who seemed more of a mad dog than a thinker. A mad dog who no doubt had cause not to like Darien. Just as Darien did not like him. Still now was not the time to throw insults at specific members of the man's family. He remembered Arc's devotion to family above all other things and no doubt that extended to his golem.

Arcturus claimed to see his folly but Darien disagreed. He spoke as if it was love and not weakness that had made him fail to grip the reigns of their society. "I told you the day we met that you needed to be active and strong-minded, you told me that you would be, that you would be the one to make things happen ... instead you stood aside and let them happen ... You tell me now that you will be better ... " he paused before he let himself rush into giving an impression "As I say you have given me a lot to think about ... I will think about it"

Perhaps there was more for him to say but now was not the best time for it. They had both set out their positions it was for Darien to think about it now.

For Darien to think and for Arcturus to see if anything could be done to make it up to Theryn. The prince seemed to find himself slightly emboldened which Darien was glad of. Unfurling himself to make a single demand. A ship that could get them off the world if they desired. Or at least he hoped it would be them and not just him. There was a tight knot in his stomach until Thery said that he did not plan to leave. That was all Darien needed to hear.

"You just want an escape route if you need it ... for you ... us?" He spoke back to Thery through his mind.

Arcturus seemed not too pleased by the idea of them having a ship but before Darien could say anything on the matter Theryn surprisingly spoke up again. Firm and secure like a prince ought to be. It would not do to undermine him by speaking up at that point nor to make him think Darien thought he needed backup when plainly he did not. It was a side of Theryn Darien hadn't really had a chance to see but it made him swell with a feeling of safety. Even so soon in their relationship ... whatever it may be ... Theryn was talking of protecting him from danger.

Theryn's words clearly hit the mark with Arcturus too and with his work done Theryn settled back into his lap. A little more vulnerable now having burned himself out in his grand defence. His fingers moved with more vigour on Darien's leg and He beckoned for one of the attendants to lay a blanket of soft, thin silk over the other man. Darien's hands returned to Thery's head as well in a silent urging for him to rest again. "See that you do Lord Dinn, We ... " We, yes that seemed right "... will not be at your family's mercy anymore" He stated. It was simple, give them a means of escape or lose them both as allies.

Theryn spoke into his mind with such strength of feeling it made Darien go tense and his breath catch. It was a lot to take in this talk of being nowhere but with Darien but he felt it too. He felt I just as Thery did and that was a scary thought. "You will always be welcome here in my arms" he promised mentally, he couldn't speak yet of the rest of it, even to Theryn. He simply did not know if he did want to be so closely tied to Arcturus and his clan. If he even wanted to be a part of the pantheon. He would decide soon though and it was a comfort that Thery would support him in taking a larger role.

"I see you have brought a chest with you, perhaps before we say more we ought to see what it contains" He suggested. Maybe it would contain things which made Darien feel more secure or Thery more comfortable. "If that is alright with you Lord Dinn?"

A soak in the bath, and his hair brushed? Theryn nuzzled against Darien and his touch. That sounded... sublime. No one had brushed his hair for him since he'd first left Midvinter... Since his mother had. He'd been, what? Ten? Almost half of his life ago. The mere thought of it made him feel both somber and excited. Bittersweet, perhaps? Melancholic.
Arcturus took each of Darien's criticisms, well deserved criticisms, in stride. He didn't have too much more to say, he did not wish to make excuses, to blame his failures on anything else. All of this was a firm reminder of how new to any form of leadership he really was. Darien seemed bred for it, but Arcturus? No... Arcturus had never been meant for this sort of life.
He had promised to work on himself, hadn't he? Promised to step up. His folly had been in bowing to his wife, because she had cemented herself here first. He missed the warning signs before things got too bad. More than that, he'd been too passive in general. Furthest from a leader.
"Take however long you require."
Theryn did not look at Darien as the man's words entered his mind, but he did reach back a hand to gently touch his knee. Us he reassured. Not himself.
Arcturus had a lot to think over too, didn't he? Rhiannon and the others would be mad at him if he handed them over a ship and let them have at it, but how could he rightly keep them here? They were not prisoners, they had done nothing wrong. Whether the Natives saw them as Gods or not, the reality was that Arc and Rhi held no more power here than Darien did deep down. If anything, Darien had been here much, much longer.
Darien's attention had turned toward the trunk at this point, so for now talks of the ship were put on the sideline. Rin was also lay back down, he seemed more tired than before and Arc felt slightly bad for that.
"Oh, yes."
Arcturus rose up and brought forth the chest, stopping just before Darien. Kneeling down, he unlatched it and opened to reveal several things on the inside. Copies of the various Sith Sorcery books he owned, in leather bound tomes, including the texts which would help Darien to relearn High Sith, were stacked to one side, wrapped together in a ribbon. There were several scrolls bound and sealed, which if opened would contain the newly drawn out map of the desert including the boundaries of Arcturus' and Darien's lands, as well as a written version of Arcturus' proposed position for Darien.
Finally there was a pouch, and on the inside was a talisman. Surprisingly, it was not enveloped in darkside energy as one might expect from an item made by a Sith. In fact, just touching it would have Darien feeling emboldened, safe, and protected.
From where he was knelt, Arcturus then took up a handful of sand and began to draw upon the Force, eyes closing as he melded it together and heated it through his hands, forming a perfect sphere of glass. This he offered out toward Theryn directly, not Darien. "An oath" he said.

Though Darien had promised only a bath and a brushing of Theryn's hair he planned to do much more besides. Theryn had been waited on hand and foot the entire time he'd spent in Mercuitie and Darien had no plan to change that course of dealings now. Theryn was still fragile and in need of comfort. Comfort Darie would have provided to him in spades from his own hands but also from the hands of those serving him. There was comfort for him too in helping Theryn calm. The nuzzling of his hand was all the payment he needed for his efforts. It never ceased to make him feel weightless even if it only lasted a moment.

Darien didn't know how to feel about Arcturus simply letting the criticisms hit him. It was good in one way that they did not descend into an argument but on the other was this not exactly what Darien had been Criticising. Arcturus was not assertive enough. He was too focused on pleasing people and failed to stamp out his authority. It was a troubling situation. One that needed more conversation in a less heated time and place. One not tainted by the fact that Arcturus had come to apologise. Maybe then Arcturus would prove to be more of a leader.

Darien had time to decide.

"I will tell you as soon as I am ready to answer" He promised. For now, he had to focus on Theryn.

His poor Prince who it seemed was committed to not leaving him behind. Us. It was a beautiful two-letter word. Through his thin desert clothing, he felt Theryn's hand upon his knee. He didn't know what Us meant for him. Had they become a partnership? A couple or was it just a simple temporary arrangement? They still hadn't talked properly about what was to come. Darien didn't even know how to talk about that. He had never properly explored his romantic and sexual feelings so he did not know what to do with the feelings that Theryn inspired in him.

As Arcturus dealt with the trunk Darien glanced down at Theryn, he looked spent. exhausted. Darien had one of their attendants gently ease off Theryn's sandals and then drape a thin blanket over him. Another brought a pillow to be slipped under Theryn's head as he remained in Darie's lap "You rest my brave darling, you look done in" He spoke into Thery's mind "If you want anything at all you tell me right away" Without prompting though Darien also had an attendant bring him a small bottle of calming floral oil which he gently rubbed against Thery's temples and the back of his neck as he looked over Arcturus' offerings.

The books he already knew were the ones promised to him. It was nice that Arcturus remembered. He initially planned to float out the scrolls first but his eye was drawn instead to the pouch and the talisman it soon deposited in his spare hand. It felt strange in his hand. protective and secure ... but were these feelings he still wanted from Arcturus. He was about to ask what it was and whether it was restricted simply to causing feelings but Arcturus was already at work in the sand. Forming from it a glass Orb.

That did not feel dark either ... it was offered to Thery and Darien fussed over how to respond in his mind. Really it was not his gift to accept or refuse but Thery was tired and he did not wish to disturb him. The offering was said to be an oath ... When Theryn did not immediately react Darien spoke "Lay it down for him Lord Dinn, Prince Theryn needs rest" Of course if Theryn then spoke or moved Darien would not stop or impede him.

If Theryn did not move however Darien would leave the orb where it was and invite Arcturus back to his place "Rest a while yourself Lord Dinn, you have had a long journey I'm sure, is there anything you would appreciate?" They did not have much but there was plenty to see any need Arcturus might have. Even furious Darien had planned for the fact that his visitor needed to take extra precautions in the sun. He would never wish to be seen as a bad host.

As Theryn lay there being unexpectedly pampered by attendants, he found himself beginning to drift. He nodded at Darien's insistence that he let him know if he needed anything, but otherwise did little to respond both to him or to Arcturus. His breathing soon softened into a steady state, and he came the closest thing to sleep without fully letting go.
"Very well," Arcturus responded, setting the orb to the blanket beside Darien and Theryn. He hummed under his breath, before speaking once more. "The amulet offers you protection, and increased valour," he explained, "Wear it, and you will find that harm done to you is lessened, especially where the Force is concerned."
He did not speak on the orb, he wanted that to be more of a surprise once it shattered back into sand.
Arcturus returned to the blanket they'd set out for him and knelt down once more, finally reaching for the refreshments on offer. It wouldn't do to seem ungrateful, after all, nor to make it seem as though he thought Darien a poor host.
He rested, spoke casually with Darien, and then soon was on his way back to the construction site which was to be his City. There was much to plan and do, both on Zaathru and beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom