Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reconsider Dominon Rule

The Dominion rule I want to point out is the following:
6. No single Writer may be responsible for more than 1/5th of the total posts in a Dominion.
I think this goes hand-in-hand with the rule about a Dominion requiring 5 or more different Writers. So in an ideal Dominion with just 5 Writers, each makes 20 posts (counting topic lead) rather than one guy doing 96 and the other four doing 1 post each. So in effect, it makes it a Faction effort. I agree with what I think is the spirit of this rule.

Yet, I see this rule as giving a very probably cause for Dominions dropping dead near the finish line or opening the possibility for malicious play.

Here is a situation: A normal Dominion requiring 100 posts. One Writer may be in the Game Master spot, and thus posts more frequently than others to keep the story rolling. Either that, or one Writer just likes to post as often as possible and easily gets to his 20th reply.

If the quoted rule is literally interpreted, if that Writer makes a 21st reply he bumps the required number of posts up to 105. So in effect, it's a 1 to 5 post tradeoff for his posts even in the possible event that his posts are critical in keeping others involved in the thread.

If a Writer does this, it places a lot of burden upon the Faction and other members - and given that people don't read the rules all the time on SWRP, someone ignorant of the Rule with no one keeping track of him can just fly by 20 posts.

If a Writer is malicious, they can sabotage a Faction's Dominion simply by posting in it - feigning ignorance to avoid suspicion or punishment.

Here's a table showing how one person can place a huge burden on the Dominion:
  • Writer's # of Posts :: Required Dominion Posts
  • 20 :: 100
  • 21 :: 105
  • 22 :: 110
  • 23 :: 115
  • 24 :: 120
  • 25 :: 125
Also taken literally, if a Dominion passes the 100 post mark and someone then posts a 21st reply before Staff approval of it, then the requirement jumps to 105 posts anyway. I doubt in practice that such a thing will be forced upon the membership, yet this simply highlights what I believe to be the error in the wording of this rule.

I've already seen a few people notice the effect this rule has on Dominions and have suggested people to stop posting once they meet or get close to the 20 post mark. I personally think there's a big problem in this Rule if it's giving incentive for Factions to tell its members not to post in a Dominion after a certain point.

I do think there are better alternatives that would allow for the spirit of the current rule to remain while also allowing people to post as they please for their Faction's Dominion. As an example, here is what I would propose as an alternative:
At most, a single Writer's posts may count toward 1/5 the thread's minimum total required. A single Writer's posts beyond that amount shall not count for the minimum total required.
With this, a Writer that makes his 21st reply wouldn't place a burden on the rest of his Faction for doing so. The required number of posts increases on a 1:1 ratio.

So in a 100 minimum post Dominion, one Writer can go crazy and make 100 posts, yet at least 4 other Writers would need to make 80. With the current Rule, those 4+ other Writers would have to cover for 400.

I support this, having experienced problems with it in a dominion.
The Vitae, a new faction, have enough people to complete a dominion. However, they are unable to complete it because they have to wait so long and plan their posts so carefully to make sure everyone has the right amount of posts. This limits story heavily when you're limited to how much you can do within your own faction thread.

I would personally rather see the rule lifted altogether so that they can just dominion and play their story out without having to plan out the amount of posts beforehand, but this suggestion is a good middle ground.

I'm all for this.

Sabena Shai said:
At most, a single Writer's posts may count toward 1/5 the thread's minimum total required. A single Writer's posts beyond that amount shall not count for the minimum total required.
If you think this is an effective solution, you're out of your mind. It'll get ignored almost immediately, by both Staff and the players.

Dominions are a team effort. I'm glad people are working together as teams.

Dominions affect the map game, are you so surprised we're placing consequences for spamming?

Players should self-govern and Faction Leaders should lead.

If one member is doing all of the heavy lifting in a Dominion - it's not a rules problem. It's a Major Faction activity problem.

Why not limit how many times someone can post between other peoples posts?

Like, only posting after two other people have posted, for example, which makes the person have 1/3 of a contribution if there were only 3 people in the dominion. In reality, there's always more than 3 people, so instead of limiting the amount of posts, it limits the frequency of them.

This helps prevent spam posting and still lets people have their stories without planning ahead their 20 posts.

Plus, in most other threads you should wait for others to post anyway.

Tefka said:
If you think this is an effective solution, you're out of your mind. It'll get ignored almost immediately, by both Staff and the players.
The current Rule and what I proposed as a possible alternative would be monitored and enforced via the same methods. I believe that if my proposed alternative would be ignored by the entire membership, then the current rule would be ignored as well.

The difference between the two is that a Faction can be burdened for one member's action (which could be via ignorance or malice), while the possible alternative I suggested places no extra burden on the Faction while still requiring the Faction to make a sizable contribution regardless of how much lifting a single member does.

Tefka said:
If one member is doing all of the heavy lifting in a Dominion - it's not a rules problem. It's a Major Faction activity problem.
I don't think that is the reason for this suggestion. Imagine you have exactly 5 faction members doing a thread. They have 20, 20, 20, 19, and 21 posts. They can't finish the dominion because of a differentiation of 1 post. Each poster now has to post a post each, one has to post 2 and the one who posted 21 can't post, and if they are trying to finish a dominion before another faction on the same planet this can be a big issue. I feel like the rule change would be just as well implemented as the current rule.

Tefka said:

Dominions affect the map game, are you so surprised we're placing consequences for spamming?

Nailed it. This just sounds like a rule that, though not intended to do so, will just make the conduct of dominions less fun for those who do it properly and in good spirit. Staff shouldn't have to enforce this crap.

Alen Na'Varro said:
will just make the conduct of dominions less fun for those who do it properly and in good spirit.
The current one has already done that, with the example of the Vitae. It's taking them ages because they have to hold off each post until everyone else posts, which can take a while. It's no fun if they can't take one planet while the Sith take more in that time.

What I'm saying is; new rule works fine when you have alot of members.
Smaller factions; limits it heavily.

I'm no longer part of the Vitae though, so I can't speak for them solely.

Also: 1000 posts.
*celebrates*

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
I can definitely see how this rule can be maliciously used.

"I'm writing this dominion as a Silver Jedi member. Funny thing is, I was just trash talking the Silver Jedi the other day! *cackle* Oops! I just posted my 21st post!

"Oh, no! Now I posted my 22nd! *gasp* And it wasn't even a quality post--like one sentence long! Now they're doubly penalized!"

Now, I'm seriously hoping people on this site are adult enough to not do something just totally wrong like this. But there is always that one person... I don't think dominions are commonly visited by RPJs to respond to reports, but you may start seeing those if people accidentally or 'accidentally' post over the max.

And even in some cases it might be innocent. What if a new person is just having a load of fun in a dominion and misses counting that one post he made on Page 2? Sure, dominions are a sign of faction activity and five writers seems like maybe they're not as active as they should be to deserve a spot on the map. But, at the same time... There are many writers who do not participate in dominions for various reasons. (I don't particularly enjoy writing them much myself.)

To be fair, I don't know if this rule change is necessary for sure. But I do believe it makes sense.

I can certainly appreciate the intent behind [member='Sabena Shai"]'s proposal.

James Gabriel said:
The current one has already done that, with the example of the Vitae. It's taking them ages because they have to hold off each post until everyone else posts, which can take a while. It's no fun if they can't take one planet while the Sith take more in that time.
There are ways to remedy this that don't involve changing the rules.

For example, the prospect of getting more writers should incentivize Faction leaders to do more active recruiting, rather than staying small.

Cryax Bane said:
There are ways to remedy this that don't involve changing the rules.

For example, the prospect of getting more writers should incentivize Faction leaders to do more active recruiting, rather than staying small.
You can recruit heavily but still not fix the issue. You need quality of members too, people who can be active and write well. It's also difficult for a small faction to recruit when a lot of new member immediately jump on the Sith bandwagon as lots of people seem to be doing.

Ceska Starshield said:
You can recruit heavily but still not fix the issue. You need quality of members too, people who can be active and write well. It's also difficult for a small faction to recruit when a lot of new member immediately jump on the Sith bandwagon as lots of people seem to be doing.

Just what I was about to say. The Vitae have more than enough members, but alot of them go randomly inactive. You can't fault the FA for that.

James Gabriel said:
Just what I was about to say. The Vitae have more than enough members, but alot of them go randomly inactive. You can't fault the FA for that.
It's not the FA's "fault" if the Faction loses members, but it's up to the Faction leaders to make sure they are replaced once they're gone.

Yes, it's alot of work, but it's part of running a Major faction.

Tefka said:

Im a little late to the party, but what if there are dominions being done DnD Dungeon Master style like the Silver Jedi do those treasure hunter threads sometimes. What i mean is this kind of hurts those kind of Dominions a tad bit. With Daella's suggestion that can help those types of dominions.

Edit: Also.... [member="James Gabriel"], were plenty fine down here in the south, got three new members and im leading them around the forums... we aren't that inactive. *Pouts*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom