Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recon: Mirial

Jerek Morrows

A Jedi's Life is Sacrifice.
This was Sith territory, and the rest of the galaxy knew it.

They knew it because the Sith made it abundantly clear when they defended it, but also because of something much more grave. As the public shuttle entered Mirialan airspace and careened toward the port closest to the former capital, the sight robbed the lone Traveller of his words. Blackened spires of twisted metal stood a silent monument to the horrific things that transpired there.

He could feel something there that made his stomach churn and knot, and when he focused on it, he felt a blasphemous warmth that almost cut him like a knife. Jerek was a man of enormous constitution, but the idea that a Jedi could do this kind of cataclysmic damage truly mortified him. Those were what the reports he had claimed, at least. He was here in order to verify that information, or to disprove it.

A Shadow acted in an intelligence capacity foremost. When the Order lacked facts, they sent investigators-. but where Investigators could not go, they sent people who did not exist. Plaisible deniability.

So, Jerek checked over his papers- false documents, his name was to be "Aric Solis" for this trip. He was a resident of Empress Teta, easily confirmed by a quick background check, and his vital statistics were in order. When they touched down, he flashed his identification for the customs agent, who promptly inquired, "journalist? Not too many other folks interested in this place."

"Got a lot of people Coreward anxious to know if the rumors are true," he flashed a winning smile. "Can't keep the galactic audience in the dark forever, you know."

"No, no," the man laughed, "you would be surprised to know that the Empire actually endorsed that kind of publicity. Anything to condemn the Jedi, right?"

Jerek forced a smile, but it came easily from years of experience. "Their kind do as they please, after all," he replied. "You can see that from here."

"I'll call a transport for you," the officer offered. "It'll be quicker than the hike."

"I'd appreciate that," the Shadow nodded, and the other man called it in. Several minutes passed as a small speeder came gliding across the horizon, and Jerek noted the sense of desolation that surrounded him. Beyond Imperial Agents and some security detail, there was no one for miles. "Where have all the people gone?" he asked.

"Relocated," the officer answered, "the undead issue got so bad, and the land so unliveable, they had a space colony built to replace the ground capital. They're all floating above our heads now," he pointed to the sky. "You should have a visit for your report," he laughed. "There are plenty of survivors willing to give their statements."

"I'll do that," Jerek muttered as he headed for the speeder, which promptly stopped just shy of the landing pads.

Warden
Mirial, Spaceport, Shuttlespeeder
Allies: [member="Jerek Morrows"]
Enemies: None.
Nearby: [member="Jerek Morrows"]

The ostensibly older man releases a hacking cough in the morning's air and glances around the shuttle airspeeder as it lowers to a halt, their gaze studies a strapping young gentleman with dark hair and thick beard walking towards the shuttle; that was the Warden's appointed contact. With cracked pursed lips pressed together tightly the elderly man seemed to wipe his sleeve across them from some prolonged boredom arranging this meeting had come with extreme levels of prior-planning on the Warden's part, it wasn't easy to slip onto a world so recently the site of the death of so many truly for anybody else it might have been impossible to make landfall with the equipment Warden yet carried concealed on their person without raising the suspicions of customs who had been fooled by the disguise. Warden now gives the signal glancing towards Jerek Morrows as he board the speeder and pulls the black short-visor cap away from the shining peach-coloured dome exposed to the light projected by the landspeeder's ceiling, as if it wasn't obvious enough the old man shifts from the isle seat towards the window vacating the seat for Jerek to perch himself upon. Glancing towards the window upon Jerek taking a seat the old man's heavy eyelids peer in the man's direction and asks a seemingly innocuous question for the row to their advance and retreat. "How was the flight, Son?" The sound of their voice might be considered hoarse with a distinctive rasp audible squeaking from the breast as if some respiratory infection had taken a firm grip over their lungs. Warden couldn't restrain their boot which beat in a soft anxiety against the airspeeder's floor anticipating Jerek's answer with a feverish fear still yet uncertain if a mistake had been made on their part or if indeed the rugged Human Man was indeed the appointed contact, Visibly Warden's hands ring around their wrists tightly. Before sliding them carefully into the pair of waist-high pockets sitting on their azure tightly fitting jacket although it outwardly appeared harmless the Warden was covertly gripping a weapon as insurance against treachery and prepared to strike out in defence of themselves if necessary with no enthusiasm about the idea of being detected and subdued by the odious forces loyal to the egregious and oppressive Sith Empire which to their study had all the authoritarian characteristics of the late Galactic Republic but spice-fuelled into the extreme.

Jerek Morrows

He had not expected contact so soon, and he had not been briefed extraordinarily about the person with whom he would make contact. When he heard the rasping voice of an older man, he had to blink. Jerek knew better than to have any preconceptions about persons who deal with the more secretive side of the Jedi, but someone who appeared to be at Death's door landed far outside the realm of his expertise.

Still, a contact was a contact.

"It was uneventful," he replied as he glanced around the cab. It was obvious that this was the right person, because there was no one else, and because he addressed him plainly. On Mirial, there were no friendly faces. He had to remember that fact. "I wasn't expecting you until I reached the site," Jerek confessed. "At least the ride won't be quiet."

He had to keep up the charade. A couple of journalists heading to the remains of a city decimated during conflict. He subdued his intitial surprise and reservations with a cleansing breath and put on another smile, this more genuine than the last.

"If the record tells it true, the attack on Mirial was intended to liberate the population," he recited from the data packet he had memorized during the flight, "but tactical blunders on the part of the Silver Jedi cost them victory." His eyes glazed over as he stared, still moderately in disbelief at the horrific monolith steadily growing in size ahead of them.

"I aim to see how much of the record is embellished by the Sith, and exactly what truth there is to the current story."

[member="Anari Mero"]

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
Mirial was a planet known within the reach of the Sith Empire. A group of force users who subdued the rule, of those under them. The order of force users they had were foremost above all others. That much was sure. Recent reports had showed quite a battle between the Sith and another grouped named, Silver Jedi. Not sure who they were, or why the decided to use the prefix of Silver in front of their own glorified title. It made no sense to me. Rumors that these Jedi were more like Warlords under the banner of the Jedi. Despicable.

People using titles of old religions for the means of their own desires.

Mirial was shrouded in the dark side. I could feel it. Likely just by the sheer number of Dark sided force sensitives that inhabited the planet. However, there was something strange. A large and rather powerful signature of the light side of the force. Having found out from new reports, and a little researched showed that this place would likely be where one Master within the Silver Jedi used some ability to turn sensitives who were darker in nature, into dust and ash.

I had to see this place for myself. I needed to find out more. It was simply with a hand up to my lips, I whistled with a piercing tone. A taxi service stopped as my outstretched hand signaled them down. Hissing as the door opened, and once more closed, The driver turned around to face me. Seeing my young face, I could tell he was questioning what I was doing.

"Take me to the site where the Silver Jedi attacked the Sith."
"But why woul-"
"I said, take me there. You will be compensated."
"Whatever you want kid."

Forgoing the slight to my age, I readied myself for what may come. Waiting patiently of the drive to this epicenter.

[member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Anari Mero"],

Warden
Mirial, Shuttlespeeder
Nearby: [member="Jerek Morrows"] [member="Shaun Irons"]

"Oh my young friend you will find that us older types can be full of surprises." The elderly 'Warden' seemed to offer Jerek a friendly smile and returns hands casually onto the perch atop knees calmly; it was their contact certainly. Recalling their assumed roles while on Mirial Warden decides to engage Jerek on the information upon the incident that he'd gleaned from local sources the warden sharing their own. "I've seen it reported that a Jedi used the lightside of the force to destroy a significant area. Although that seems quite out of character for one of those old mystics, I expect we will discover the truth in short-order and perhaps share it with the universe. Our mutual friends will be most interested in what we glean from here." Studying the monolith that grows in size out to the airspeeder's advance the Warden is given great pause while assessing those blackened and disturbing features swallowing with a loud gulp. There was an eerie silence hanging over the shuttle with only three passengers loaded it would seem that the mirial locals were either disinterested or frightened from attending the site of that alleged destruction. Warden spares a glance over right-shoulder and gives the other passenger a welcoming nod silently wondering if they were some kind of Sith agent, this curiosity wasn't driven by paranoia or feel but rather a desire for preparedness. Although, Warden inwardly doubted there was anything malicious about the man. With their hat in pocket Warden's gaze finds its' way back to Jerek as the Airspeeder begins to decelerate steadily as the incoming tragedy loomed closer waiting to unveil horror for the shuttle's force sensitive pair. "It seems we're about to find out, shall we then?" Warden's hair-covered hands gently clasp the safety rail atop the seat to their front waiting for Jerek to rise and shuffle towards the exit towards Airspeeder's front, the droid pilot not providing so much as a warning that they'd arrived at their destination, curious. Perhaps there was no words in Galactic Basic to describe what this place was although Warden felt the pleasant tingle of the living force trickle down spine like the gentle trickle of fingernails against skin.

Jerek Morrows

His chest tightened as they came closer to the scene, and a breath died in his throat. The warmth that bathed them now was akin to the most sacred Jedi places, a Light kept with such vigilance that it would never go out. It made his skin crawl to feel that here, in this place. The speeder driver said nothing as they disembarked, only waved them a friendly farewell as he sped away. Something about the whole area gave him a bad feeling, he had mentioned. Jerek could not blame him.

(Mood is this song.)

Metal skeletons of burnt out buildings stretched skyward before him, like hundreds of hands outstretched toward heaven for salvation denied. Etched in the swirling, blackened sands there were shapes, splayed in their futility where once men had fallen. In their stead, pillars of salt stood, slowly scattering to the cool, dry winds of Mirial.

In the midst of that horror, the eerie calm remained. The Jedi Shadow felt in his heart a calm that had no place existing, even as he tread further into the ruins. He glimpsed the shells of starfighters, torn asunder by natural means and unnatural, and visual confirmation of their weapon systems' previous use. Though they no longer flew the IFFs, it was obvious from their make and model to whom they had belonged.

X-wings were favored by the Republic, the Alliance, and in more recent years, by various sects of Jedi. Imperials preferred the machinations of Kuat Drive Yards and other, more traditionally antagonistic designs. These pilots had died strafing the area.

The wreckage was far too mangled and deformed to ascertain what the nature of the buildings themselves had been, which soured the chances of getting a full report drafted, but he could fill in the gaps later with witness testimonies. That was the furthest thing from his mind as he came to the epicenter of the anomaly.

It was from this point which all else began, and subsequently ended. He could feel the echo, a distant, flickering flame that lingered long after it should have been snuffed. The heat that emanated from it sent a shiver through him, and tears welled in his eyes.

Thousands of lives had ended here, all burnt away and returned to the Force.

He fell to his knees, eyes wide and mouth ajar. His mind reeled at the very thought of this place, and the sight robbed him of his senses. They only returned a moment later, his stupor dispelled by the violent urge to vomit.

He did.

[member="Anari Mero"], [member="Shaun Irons"]​

Last edited:
M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
This feeling. It was like seeing the light at the tunnel, yet you know it shouldn't be real. The drawing of breath that taxed heavily upon my lungs as the vehicle drew closer. I could feel the change. It was as if the light was so powerful here, any form of dark sided, or a lack of the purest light within a person would be wiped clean.

My head began to ache from the intensity. Hearing of such places from stories that told of locations, items, and even people having so powerful of a signature, that it could cause dark siders to vomit, become sickly, or even die. I wasn't inherently dark, but my father taught me much of what he knew. Always making sure to let me know to never let my emotions, fears, or desires get the better of me. I need to stay true to who I am, and who I want to become. Should I slip, it will only make it harder for me. Yet, even with that in mind, this pure light. Sanitary to such a degree that all forms of darkness were bathed in a damaging light, I still felt sick.

However, I had to see more. To understand.

As the vehicle came to a stop, the man turned around and waited. Fishing in my pocket, I retrieved some credits and paid for my ride. I didn't like that idea, but everyone had to earn a living somehow. Stepping out, I made sure to leave nothing behind as I closed the door. The hiss sealing my fate here. Part of my mind wanted me to get back into the speeder, and go somewhere else, anywhere else. I could not. I needed to stick to my guns even if I hated the idea at the moment.

I began to look around. Seeing the trusses, and the structural integrity of many buildings that were long destroyed, and decaying. The graveyard of lives, machines, and structures. It was as if the Sith wanted to keep this here as a sign that the Silver Jedi, those who some may have placed much trust in, were not to be doing so. They would destroy everything just to get at the Sith. That is not what the Jedi do. Yes, in some cases it may be wise to outright blow them all out of the water, but within a city such as this?

Even just the mere seconds of standing here, my black boots and the cuffs of my fiberweave were already getting salt and soot buildup fro the wind gently blowing the remains of those past my feet. It was sickening. The levels that these Silver Jedi would go to just to damage a religion opposing of your own. It boggled my mind.

Looking around me, I simply walked through the remains. Taking in all the sights, smells, and feelings that hit me through the force. Bombarded by the light in such a way, that I felt like hiding in the shadows would be my only choice in life.

Warden
Mirial, Shuttlespeeder
Nearby: [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

Warden follows Derek out of the shuttle and offers a humble bow of the head to their driver on the way out down the two or three steps that descended down towards the unusually dark soil. 'Odd' They thought wordlessly and finally when that pair of black boots finally land upon the ash covered Earth the sensation hits Warden in full-swing; a migraine-inducing screeching rattle that echoes through the living force of which Warden is ever mindful. Across the desolate and lifeless cratered field was the strewn wreckage of several machines of war; fighters that had fallen down from the Heavens their hulls without fail charred to a void black from whatever had transpired here as if some great cataclysmic fire had swallowed them and their occupants altogether. Warden is halted in their step at the grotesque beauty of salt-hewn statues that stood in the shape of men and women who had been consumed and now replaced by macabre parodies of their bodies, now the Warden's eyes craned upwards towards the buildings surrounding what they'd identified as the epicenter for the detonation of the strands and bands of force energy occasionally rippling through the air around the graveyard. There was an overwhelming heat that radiated through the air and its' source wasn't Mirial's star, no this was the force tearing at reality and life itself. While Jerek fell to his knees the Warden stood beside him stalwart with narrowed eyes courageously studying the scene ostensibly with an expressionless visage that did not betray their shock and disappointment. "A Jedi did this?" It was a Rhetorical question the Warden wouldn't expect the Sith to permit such easy civil access unless they believed it supported the narrative the Warden had read touted since re-engaging with the Holonet 'The Jedi are evil' though the Warden knew this to be the furthest statement from reality although actions resulting in catastrophes such as this would come to dictate the opinions of the Ignorant. Warden approaches Jerek and goes to clasp his shoulder gently in a slow movement to provide comfort for the man taking care not to compromise their holographic disguise matrix. Though they could not be seen through the matrix or the cool helmet beneath it a pair of tears rolled down the Warden's cheeks, despaired at the desolation and destruction set before gaze forced to endure the palpable ache released from the stripped and shredded structures.

Warden suppresses their emotions successfully and achieves a spiritual nirvana in the proverbial hellstorm of activity within the force that the Warden thought would be felt by even the most mildly force sensitive being or creature, releasing Jerek's shoulder from the comforting grip the black foots take a couple paces in the advance towards the salt-sculpture filled field and turns in the man's direction ostensibly undeterred potentially leaving Jerek with the impression that their contact was either not force sensitive or incredibly disciplined with a high-level of mastery over their feelings. "This place is a macabre graveyard." The Older man's gaze turns out towards the broken vehicles and soldiers who had been frozen in time; some in the midst of battle, while others seemed frozen with the flat visage's of their protective helmets turned upto the sky towards an epicentre. "There is nothing to learn from here other than the demonstrable folly that comes with misuse of the force as a weapon rather than a tool to be studied and used for the reverence of life. Whoever created this scene is just as reckless and undisciplined as the Sith they tried to defeat, leaving a trail of indiscriminate and unnecessary destruction and death in their wake." Bending down the Warden scoops up a handfull of soil and sadly allows it to slip between their fingers and be carried by the breeze's empty howl what confronted them was the death of all things, the very anathema of the force itself. "Whatever this technique was its' practice should be wisely forbidden and study granted only at the leave of a Council of Masters. In all my years I have not witnessed a greater betrayal of principle by one who would seize the mantle of 'Jedi' for themselves." Shaking their head firmly they struggled to remain composed and outwardly calm with the pain of betrayal and wonton death radiating through the air penetrating to the depths of the Warden's soul. The Warden revealed in their statements an intimate knowledge of not only ancient Jedi philosophy and order structure but also a familiarity with characteristics of Sith, glancing over right-shoulder towards Jerek they offer up a directive. "You brought a Holo? Take some snapshots, we should not linger here for long." Assessing the crumbling scene again the Warden asked themselves a question attempting to understand under what righteous pretext an individual such as a 'Jedi' would attempt to yield this amount of power, what could have possibly justified it in the mind of one who would appear outwardly Noble. "All this, and for what?" There was audible disgust that dropped from the man's mouth that Jerek or any other in close proximity might detect, a small dribbling of emotions that penetrated through the carefully maintained and disciplined facade.

Jerek Morrows

For several heartbeats, Jerek forgot he was not alone.

The Force, especially in places where it was concentrated and polarized, had an effect on those sensitive to it. Warmth and peace emanated from the eternally burning flame, and the silence that surrounded his soul brought forth his memories with a clarity he had never before experienced. Not just his memories, however; no, the memorizes of those souls that ceased to be, returned to the ever flowing Force, whispered all around him.

Jerek saw Mirial, not as it existed before him, but as it once was.

It had never been a warm, lush world, but there had been life: Mirialan people once walked these streets and commerce proceeded with regularity. There was a healthy exchange of culture and goods with people from offworld, and generations both old and young coexisted with mutual understanding. He could feel their echoes imprinted in the sands beneath him.

The Shadow reigned in those sorrowful, strong emotions that reacted with the Nexus- for that was what they experienced- and pulled his mind back. He reeled from the heat that lingered in his thoughts, and promptly felt the hand of his compatriot on his shoulder.

...why did that hand feel metallic?

Jerek glanced questioningly at the Warden, still masked in the guise of an old man, but he deigned not to ask. His expression quickly melted into one of thanks. A Jedi understood the importance of working as a team, and the strength that came from something as simple as an act of kindness. It was a weapon that the Sith could never wield.

And it was a powerful tool, when wielded responsibly.

"Yeah," he managed to speak, albeit not more than a whisper, "I've got one." He reached into the folds of his robes and produced a holo, then promptly began snapping pictures. The setting sun seemed as frozen as the world around them, which painted the scenery a brilliant orange.

When he was finished, Jerek slid the holo away and heaved a sigh.

"A Jedi would never endanger the lives of innocent people," he spoke now with a firmer voice, his resilience returning slowly. "I understand that only those with a strong connection to the Light could ever achieve something of this magnitude, but there have been those deluded by their own brand of Justice and Order across the years that it is... sadly not unheard of."

He spoke now of the ancient Army of Light that fought against the Brotherhood of Darkness, and of many Fallen Jedi who were seduced by the Darkness because of their noble aspirations. The Order had kept record of it over the many millennia, hoping to find a way to stem the bleeding and perhaps one day prevent such things from ever happening again. Their efforts had not yielded fruit yet, but there was always hope. Dim hope, when faced with something this disheartening, but hope nonetheless.

"I will ensure that this information finds its way into the proper hands," Jerek promised, "and that will give those who have the power to make a change the ability to decide what to do. My role is information, and that is all- I do not have the power to change anything on my own, and that is how it should always be."

He tilted his head in the direction of the phenomenon.

"You see here the dangers of one person having too much power. Absolute power corrupts- and that is why Sith deal in absolutes, and Jedi do not."

[member="Anari Mero"] [member="Shaun Irons"]

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
The ruins were a symbol for other Jedi. Face us, and you shall perish just as your brethren did. It was a sign of bravado and arrogance that I could not ignore. I had heard of the Sith and their quest for taking the light within the galaxy, and shrouding it in darkness. Their propaganda severely differed than that of other nations. Was this a faction of people being truthful to their words, or was this new, and shrouding of the truth and light, their real game? The remains were left here in testament of this. It could be taken either way.

A Jedi who had been too drunk on power, a Sith being attacked for no reason, or a mixture of both. May perhaps be the opposite. A Jedi saw this as a last resort to prevent the Sith from continuing their conquest, and the Sith themselves had egged the Jedi On. Enticing a fight, only to blame it upon them. My footsteps left marks behind me through the remains. Only for it to be lightly covered up with the winds. I rounded a corner of what may have been a previous sidewalk. A single wall stood where a building once had been.

This was not something I would easily forget.

The sight of this battle, was only furthering my fathers words. Yet it had many implications. A Jedi without emotions losing control, could cause the destruction of many. A Sith allowing emotions to completely consume them can do the same. There had to be a balance. One where a Jedi, or a Sith, could find that Emotions were okay, and understandable, but reasoned with and held under control through the aid of others, through discipline, or other sources.

My father taught me of this many times. Emotions should never control you. On my own, I discovered you cannot be devoid of it. You need to simply control them. Allow them to exist, but not sway you in one direction or another. Breathing in the soot-filled air, I could almost taste the ash upon my tongue. I stopped. Turning around to gather myself of my surroundings. At a curious sight, I found two personages a distance from me. One kneeling, the second over the top. Close enough. Master and apprentice? Father and Son?

I could not tell.

However, no Sith would be here. The sanitary light cleansed all of the Darkness. They would not be welcome here. No. These people were sufferers. They felt the pain here as well. They could see and understand the implications here. Curious as to why they would come here, and who they were, I hastened my steps. Drawing closer to them. Closer and closer, I could see the age gap. An older man, and a younger. The elder of the two rested his hand upon the shoulder of the other.

Even at this distance, I still could not quite hear the words they spoke. Simple mumbles of their musings. Closing the distance just to hear in time. of the power that one person could hold. How Sith dealt in absolutes while the Jedi did not, or at the very least, should not. I could not tell, but I can only assume they were armed. Much like an unloaded gun, you should always treat it as though it were. Same with people. Treat them as though they were holding a weapon to your throat, and you wont have to worry if they do actually draw it upon you.

"You speak as though you know both."

Warden
Mirial, Shuttlespeeder
Nearby: [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

Releasing Jerek's shoulder from the firm grip with a small smirk satisfied that the man was steadied Warden continued their conversation on the topic of Jedi involvement in war and the invariably negative impact it has on them. "War is a cauldron that has overwhelmed the feelings and senses of more than one Jedi in the Galaxy's long history, nothing ever good comes of it." Gesturing out towards the scene unfurled before them the Warden's eyes remain on Jerek watching the man take holo-stills for their mutual friends who would be most interested in assessing the reckless hubris of those who would so readily seize the mantle of 'Jedi'. Warden's gaze depresses and stares deep into the scarred and desolate soil and watches as if through a temporal window into what conditions could have possibly created such a scene, delving into it wordlessly the Warden's disappointment is contained albeit palpable through the living force as a small level of irritation directed towards what was witnessed; a Jedi whom had the arrogance to wield such considerable and raw power as a weapon. Shaking their head firmly at those contemptable actions they continue listening to Jerek and assess the scene sadly, so many lives had been lost this was not the actions of one who held the force's health and balance highly or placed sufficient stock in the value of life that they would relent if it meant choosing between the innocent and dutiful soldiers or a singular evil Sith target. "If the Jedi insist on this reckless use of the force as a weapon without regard to the consequences they will become the very thing they're so desperately attempting to destroy. The use of such power." The Warden spluttered attempting to find the accurate words in Galactic Basic to convey their sheer disgust and contempt for what had transpired here. "It is folly, all that has been left here is a travesty, a great blundering monument to hatred and rage." Studying the petrified soldiers and innocents who had been caught in the techniques' effect Warden raises an index finger and thrusts it in their direction, so much death how could one possibly justify this? "And the citizens and soldiers, what was their misjudgment or 'evil' other than perhaps misplaced loyalty and duty searching for security and peace within a galaxy consumed in darkness. Their sentence here? Petrification in a bath of the force; that which binds and unites life." Pausing the Warden seemed to purse their eyes shut and make some strange gesture with both hands held out before their breast heaving in a deep breath before exhaling with a painstakingly steady motion allowing spheres to peer open their shoulders dropped somewhat indicating a slight easing. Warden's frustration had been leading them towards Anger, which could lead to hate and the darkness which stood so ready to consume the noble and pure of heart.

"I'll see that our mutual friends receive a report from myself too, although having holostills will dispel any skepticism they might have to the level of damage and destruction wrought on by one who would think themselves a guardian of life and the right." Warden's gaze now pivots in the direction of a newcomer who seemed to appear from out behind some debris that littered the desolate field, recognizing them only in passing Warden's suspicion immediately bristled. Perhaps they were a simple journalist or reporter as Warden and Jerek had posed or maybe the truth is much darker, Warden wasn't about to divulge anything about the 'Mutual friends' in the man's presence not until their trustworthiness could be verified although Warden perceives that darkness didn't seem drawn to him. Sith and Dark Jedi often acted like a lightning rod for that odious energy and although it wasn't a guarantee the individual is evil it helped serve to indicate intent and thus the elderly looking man seems to relax. "Hello, my friend and I here are freelance journalists we're collecting some material for our work. And you are?" Warden seemed to slip into a welcoming persona so quickly Jerek might find himself perturbed somewhat by it. Most judged the individual known as 'Warden' accurately as mysterious or secretive and this gave rise to suspicion regarding their intentions in many Jedi or Force wielders who had worked with them, if nothing else the Warden had their own agenda and thus far it placed them firmly on the side of the light-side opposing the contemptible darkness that had seemed to swallow the galaxy whole since their long slumber. For Warden's part they had judged their arrival in this century as being the will of the force although to serve what purpose they are not yet certain, so until it was revealed to them they continued to try and uphold the right and promote civilization and justice throughout the stars wherever they journeyed.

Jerek Morrows

"A Jedi seeks to destroy nothing," he counseled softly, "destruction is an act of the darkness. A Jedi preserves and protects." He exhaled again, silently wishing he could wash the scene away from his mind. He knew better, though. Preservation of knowledge like this served to better protect future generations from this kind of grotesque mishandling of power. "A tool meant for good can be twisted to serve the dark side. That is the lesson here."

Jerek waved a hand in the direction of his comrade and sent subtle, soothing energies through the Force to help still the raging tumult of their mind. It was almost insignificant next to the radiance that stood only a kilometer or so away from them. Only what appeared to be an old man would sense it.

The other man approached moments later, just in time to speak to the proposed knowledge of both Jedi and Sith. He was not wrong. He turned to offer an earnest smile to the man.

"Aric," he introduced himself by the script, "Aric Solis, I came from Empress Teta to document the truth about what happened here. I have done a few documentaries and reports on both the actions of Jedi, and of Sith, and in my studies on the subject matter have come to a certain understanding of how they operate."

He turned to completely face [member="Shaun Irons"] now, hands on his hips. It was more to steady himself before they got away from... that place, but it served the purpose of making him seem composed. His Force presence was masked by a disperser, something he kept on him during operations like this one.

"Despite the current state of the Galaxy, and events like this one, I favor the Jedi." He shifted his weight to a more comfortable position and closed his eyes. "But the truth is the truth, and I'll be reporting what we found here exactly as we found it."

[member="Anari Mero"]

After paying a visit to the once Jedi, now exile [member="Veiere Arenais"], Aten had come to hear tales of the misuse of the light. The boy had gone out in search of the master in an attempt to learn the fabled ability of the Jedi, one that was said to purge those of the dark, or in more extreme cases of their connection to the dark. Aten was foolish enough to believe that the Jedi were incapable of such folly, to abuse such a power seemed impossible. That was before, now Aten stood outside the remnants of what had once been a hospital.

The Morellian’s knees shook, buckling beneath his weight the Jedi falling to his knees. All around him he could feel the echoes of lives lost, erased in the blink of an eye. Lives washed away in a blazing light, they’d never stood a chance. His heart ached, tears painting their way down the apprentice’s cheeks. How had such a thing even happened? How was it possible? Just how far were some willing to go to dominate the Sith? That was no excuse, what had happened here was a travesty, a perversion of the light in the worst way. Kol, the spintiri crystal that was housed within Aten’s saber screeched out, it too aware of the pain, suffering and mass extinction of life that had taken place. The resonating frequency of the force that bound the two sent those screeches into Aten’s mind what the crystal felt amplified and shoved onto the Jedi.

Hands raising to clasp either side of his head Aten tried to battle away the memories that were not his own, they sprang unbidden to his mind. A mother and her child, the mother splaying herself over her son in futility. The light searing them away not left but ash. An elderly couple that had once sat within the hospital staring out as the windows were blown in, the light burning their flesh, muscle, and bone away in an instant. Aten gulped in air unable to get enough as each memory took his breath away, his body curling up. This is what Veiere had warned the Morellian about. The misuse of the light… The more Aten looked into the Jedi that battled the Sith the more horrors were revealed. What should’ve been a near spotless record on the Jedi’s account was marred and coated in nearly as much blood as the Sith’s. Did the dark and light truly exist? Had the sides truly been switched? Here the Sith stood together facing their Jedi foes, yet the Jedi remained scattered unwilling to form together. Were the Light and Dark mixing into shades of grey, no black and white anymore?

“Leave now?!” The screech of the crystal came to Aten’s mind dragging the jedi back to the present.

“I… I can’t.” Aten gasped, his fist slamming into the ground, each hit tearing at the pavement the sonic blasts digging a furrow. “This wasn’t a Jedi… I can never believe it was. This was someone far worse than a Sith, it was a pretender in Jedi clothing.” Head ringing Aten attempted to rise to his feet his presence in the force noticeable by nearly anyone privy to the ways of the force due to the saber carried at his hip. Right hand moving to clutch just over his heart Aten limped away from the hospital that calming light energy doing nothing to calm the Jedi’s despair at what he’d just witnessed.

[member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Anari Mero"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
The curious mind only grew more at the statement these two made. Journalists who came to report on their findings. Last I knew and heard from rumors, was that this happened quite a bit ago. Not yesterday or just a month ago. Why now did they seek to come? Yes they may be able to learn from it as well, but this had my head in a dizzy spell.

Both spoke about how they supported the Jedi. Even as Alric introduced himself outright from Empress Teta. A planet I had not had the honor of visiting. I felt it was only right to introduce myself. I thought for a second about any kind of alias that I could use, anything to reason with why I might not give my true name.

"I didn't think that they would still be reporting on something such as this."

The slight bow of my head was all that I could offer at the moment. I had no clue about these two. Considering the elder man wanted to seemingly keep his distance from me, I allowed it.

"Darren Castanic. I come to see the reports myself. To... understand why people of high regard would stoop to this level."

However, its when I started to feel even the smallest of a pinprick of light that had not been sanitized by the burning of these ruins, that I turned to face what was going on. Only to hear booms a bit away. The cracking and breaking of solid material. The buildings around here were no longer solid. This was the ground that was cracking. Looking to the two individuals, I reached down slowly to grasp the hilt my Echani vibroblade.

"Would you two know anything about those cracking sounds?"

I was not prepared to fight the two here. No. I was merely preparing myself should something happen that would be unfavorable. It was I that walked up upon them. They could have an ambush, or have something laying in waiting. The same could be said for me. I could be luring them into a trap. However, I was not. These people seemed okay and fine. While their truth may have been stretched, I believe them to an extent. No need to give them the wrap around.

[member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Anari Mero"],

Warden
Mirial Surface, Fields of Desolation
Allies: [member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]
Nearby: [member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

"Holonet transmissions from this part of the galaxy are often censored my boy." Pausing the gentleman seemed to lick his lips haunching over somewhat the Warden paused and seemed to be distracted for a moment; they could sense some soul amongst the painful cacophony crying out for salvation. It is most certainly worth investigating although they needed to slip away without raising unnecessary suspicion from their new company, steadily their suspicions about the man's loyalties dissipate into the wind. Noting Castanic bow his head the sun-kissed man offers him a soft smirk "Aye, we had to see what happened given the rumours...." Giving a short glance over the shoulder the Airspeeder appeared to still be nearby and not too far a distance away, Castanic's question forces the old man's attention back onto that mysterious gentleman. Warden's eyes wrinkle and narrow together in an attempt to perceive any alien noises being carried upon the wind. And there it was some distinct clacking sound like a pneumatic hammer upon clay, confused Warden looks to Jerek. "Ary my boy do you hear that or are my old ears playing tricks on me again?" Warden asked already knowing the answer to the question, sliding their hands from pockets in an attempt to make Darren more comfortable concluding that if he were hostile the man would have struck out by now with what they suspected might have been a construction crew in the distance although you couldn't be too sure. The strikes' tempo wasn't fast enough to be an electrically-operated jack of any description perhaps some over-sized hammer? It was worth investigating either way since the Sith had apparently prohibited scavenging in the area, Warden thought it was thus highly unlikely they'd permitted anything in the way of construction. Pivoting in the apparent direction the noise echoed from in the south Warden narrows their eyes again and takes a step in that direction managing to make out a scorched metallic sign that read 'Hosp' in bold golden letters that seemed to have several cuts through them; indicative of debris strikes. "Let's go and have a look at what is making that awful smacking, hopefully there aren't any ruffians about." Advancing on that axis with a strong spring in their step driven by curiosity down a road that led between two multi-floor stories flanking the asphalt surface on either side of them, Warden looked around uncomfortably as the whispers of the rippling bands of energy burrowed into their mind as if the final thoughts of those who had been consumed here yet linger as disembodied spectres warning any attempts to wander further through the ruins bathed in an unnatural light cast off by the petrified salt statues that littered the area, Warden taken great care not to disturb any or allow themselves to stare for too long at any one macabre sculpture lest they sink into despair as Jerek had.

Jerek Morrows

It had been without warning or scope of understanding that the Shadow entered these ruins. The magnitude of what they found had overwhelmed his unprepared sensibilities, but that was then. Now, armed with a full grasp of their surroundings and the enigmatic Force presence that would exist in this place forever, Jerek steeled himself against the soul-silencing sensation. He glanced back and forth between [member="Anari Mero"] and [member="Shaun Irons"] as they spoke.

The sound they discussed was not lost on Jerek, whose senses were highly in tune with things beyond his immediate surroundings. Because of the nature of his work, he had mastered the art of using the Force to listen to the world around him; anything from a dull whisper to a distant scream found their way to him with the ease of magnetically opposed poles. His gaze had been torn away in that direction the moment it sounded off, and he had heard the words carried on the back of the ebbing and flowing Force.

Despair gripped the heart of the youth who spoke those words, and Jerek empathized with his sentiments. It was nearly impossible to conceive of a Jedi who would commit such an atrocity, yet in his tenure as a Jedi, Jerek had seen things from all manner of people who made this infinitely more believable. When the Temple on Ossus fell, he recalled the circumstances that surrounded it and the parties involved. No one could have anticipated it.

It was the moments in time no one factored that held the most drastic sway on the course and flow of time.

"I did hear it," Jerek said at last, already on the move. He understood intrinsically the nature of their unseen guest, because he was the only one who had heard his words. That was why he moved with such purpose and tenacity. It was the duty of a Jedi to preserve and protect, but above all, to set things in flux back into balance. He would help the youth regain the Peace within himself. "You're still hearing fine in your advanced age, my friend."

The quip was light-hearted and delivered with a mirth that ran paradoxical to Jerek's current state. He was bound and determined to wade through this Paradise Lost and find the tormented soul. When he found [member="Aten Ramses"], Jerek reached out to him both physically and spiritually. "Be at peace, friend," he spoke, his voice soothing and softened several decibels. He reached the lad and his fingers brushed across his attire gently, his hand finding its way to Aten's shoulder. "Do not fall into the trap of despair. Pain leads to anger."

His words had become softer to the point that only the boy could hear them, the old mantra of warning against the Dark side flowing from him in consolation. "Easy..."

Black swam at the edges of the Morellian’s vision, each step wobbly, only sheer willpower kept the boy from collapsing giving into the anger that burned within him. That kept him from turning that small, insignificant flame into a blazing inferno, one that would consume the Jedi and his crystal. The crystal within his saber felt this, it too experiencing the same emotions it and its master in complete sync with one another. Hand resting on a nearby building Aten pushed off. “So much pain.” Came the voice of Kol within Aten’s mind, the crystal’s presence in the force shaken, terrified.

“I know Kol, I know… This should’ve never happened.” Aten spoke out his eyes on the ground not on what lay before him. The Jedi just wanted to get away, as far as he could from the ruins of the city. To escape the torment that filled it, the sickening feeling of the light where it didn’t belong. Not in the face of such an atrocity. Right hand reaching up to his head Aten clenched it the inside of his head thumping a headache forming just behind the temples. Eyes growing bloodshot they shut the Jedi trying to force the pain away.

Lost in thought Aten felt a presence, a calming one, it stretched out to him attempting to calm the Jedi. The words soothing in nature. Aten couldn’t bring himself to open his eyes just yet that hatred still laying within him. The Mantra of the jedi whispered to him was what brought the Morellian back “Anger leads to the darkside of the force.” Aten mumbled his eyes finally opening. The soothing presence of the other being enough to bring the Jedi back from the edge of darkness, not only him but the crystal. Looking to the other individual, Aten took in this man. He’d never met him before but there was something about him, the way he’d reached out through the force comforting him. Aten had felt it, the essence of the light.

“I didn’t know there were to be others here. Sorry for the intrusion, I just wished to witness…” Falling silent Aten looked off in the direction where the hospital lay. His blood chilling, hair on his neck raising. Quickly looking away Aten could no longer stand the sight of the area. Though the true issue was how did they find him and why had they come in search. “Is there something I can help you with?” The Jedi asked straightening to his full height, an arm reaching up to wipe away the sweat which had formed on his brow.

“Danger?” chirped Kol, Aten wouldn’t reply verbally simply sending a quick burst of emotions through their connection, one of caution.

[member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Anari Mero"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

M O N O L I T H
Factory Judge
One of the reporters spoke directly to me, while the other went to check out what was happening. Turning to the older man, I inclined my head and released the grip of my weapon. No need to hold onto it. I did not fear the man, but I did still keep my wits about me. Following in the footsteps of the younger of the two, I kept my distance from the individual he was resting his shoulder upon. The gentle thoughts and soothing voice of the younger man made me question him. His voice was not this soothing earlier.

A second part made me question. Why would he attempt to calm the even younger man? The words he used was peculiar. Strange even. As though it were some kind of moto or words to live by. As he was a reporter, it could just be something he had gotten from his travels. However, I still stayed back. Letting the two have their room and privacy. At least a little.

"I don't suppose that you three know one another?"

Taking a hand, and running it through my hair, I pulled my hair back just a bit as I asked the question. I am sure they may have not, but it was still worth while to ask. Getting the whole story if you will. And as it seemed the young man kneeling seemed to be rather vocal about his position.

[member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Anari Mero"],

Warden
Mirial Surface, Fields of Desolation
Allies: [member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]
Nearby: [member="Aten Ramses"], [member="Jerek Morrows"], [member="Shaun Irons"]

Wheeling around the building's corner Warden's eyes find a decided young man with their knees pursed against the charred soil pounding away in a state of obvious despair. Jerek took lead and the older man lingers back with Castanic the pursed and dried lips belonging to the elderly man's sun-kissed visage crack into a short smile that is directly softly towards Aten. The Warden did indeed recognise the Padawan although under the current circumstances it would most certainly be a one-sided recognition, with the former's true identity concealed beneath several layers making an accurate conclusion of their identity the realm of sheer rampant fantasy. "My acquaintance is with Aric I'm afraid, I cannot speak to the young man that he now comforts." Warden replies sparing a glance towards Castanic before shuffling towards the young man steadily with his hands outstretched with fingers uncurled so as to convey a non-threatening appearance for that boyish-looking lad. Recalling from their prior knowledge that his training in the use of the force was novice as is the corresponding mastery over their own feelings from the look of things forcing Warden to struggle and ignore the nearly overwhelming bubbling of raw power and the cacophony that roared through the force that sent alternating cold and pleasantly warm lances down Warden's spine.

Looking towards Aten's direction Warden advanced and paused beside Jerek looking over "Perhaps we should be asking you that question young man, you seem quite uhm err." Warden stammered artificially for a moment and might convey a certain ridiculousness to it, acting wasn't entirely their strong suit although given their appearance's advanced age perhaps some quirks and idiosyncrasies could be forgiven. The young man rises to his full height and the elderly gentleman with those clean-shaven cheeks will appear to offer up a friendly smile in the corners of mouth with dimples flanking them tightly. "Distressed." Pausing for a moment Warden took it upon themselves to explain their presence. "We're here from the Outer Rim to do a cover story on what I've dubbed 'The Debacle of Mirial', taking holostills for use in the article at the site and interviewing survivors." Warden's chrome reflective dome seemed to bob up in down with a series of nods. Examining the arm that had pounded the Earth, Warden draws an index finger towards it hoping to clasp Aten's attention and break the ice somewhat. "Isn't your arm sore? With something like that I bet you have little difficulty moving debris." Pivoting in boots gently they go to look upon Jerek. "Do you believe we have sufficient material Ary, this place makes my bones rattle and ache. This is a Graveyard, I think we should leave now it deserves to be treated with sanctity out of respect for those who died here." A statement that few would find objectionable no doubt, beneath the surface however Warden was steadily being overwhelmed by the pain of remaining in the centre of such a macabre symphony that boomed bombastically within the living force.

Jerek Morrows

"Never met him," Jerek replied honestly. "I make it a habit to help people whenever I can. He just looked like he needed it."

It was an ideal that made light of the Jedi Code, but it was close enough to the truth. The Shadow could sense [member="Aten Ramses"] wits returning, and so he pulled back his own influence to allow the boy's senses and mind to recover on their own. It was easy enough to conceal that he had anything to do with the act, given their current position.

Jerek withdrew his hand and stood, only to offer it once more to the Padawan who remained on his knees. "Come, lad, the codger's right. We may as well have overstayed our welcome here. The spirits must get restless when something like this happens, and we're disturbing them even more."

He helped the young man to his feet and turned to face [member="Anari Mero"] and [member="Shaun Irons"] again. "I got a hot tip from one of the customs officers," he told his compatriot. "All of the locals were relocated by the Sith due to this place becoming uninhabitable. The new capital of Mirial is," he pointed skyward, "an orbital station. We should go there and see what we can suss out of the locals."

He peered over at Aten and Shaun. "You two may want to do a bit of cosmetic work, though," he told them, "the Sith forces in this system aren't particularly welcoming, as you probably already noticed." His eyes lingered on Aten. How had the boy made it into Mirial?

It didn't particularly matter, now. He was with professionals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom