Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Life Portraits

So We had a discussion awhile back on the topic of anime avatars breaking immersion. I'd like to extend this a little further, and discuss with you those that use real world portraits. Now i've seen plenty of real life portraits that fit perfectly, but I've also seen several that feel incredibly out of place in star wars. If the anime character breaks your flow, how do you feel about the pictures of real people that some of us use, that have little to no relevance of who they are trying to portray. I've read a few threads now and seen a hardened commando or pilot, that looks like some random highschooler taking a selfie. This might be a personal problem for me and if it is I apologize, but I would like to know how you all feel about this.

My sole sentiments are live and let live. Some people prefer artwork, others movie stills or actresses, and some even would much rather use an Anime Character, to express their vision of their character.

The necessary word there being 'their'.

There are only so many good pieces of artwork that can be used before they're recycled fifty times over. Only so many actors and roles which fit the setting. We have over 8.5k profiles all requiring Avatars across the board. Sure, not all of them are here and active, but we're still a huge community. Limiting people to just one form of Avatar to express themselves would have us running out of unique/fitting images ridiculously fast.

That's just my two cents :)

[member="Thédus Lorr"]

Thanks for the imput. I'm not proposing we limit them, that would be ridicolous, but I am saying that maybe we can set up a system to try and help people find better refference pics? Because it might just be me but seeing selfie guy #452 just kills my mood when I see it

Honestly it'd take a bit- no, a lot of time and effort to go to each person and ask if they want help with their picture. We already have a place like that. The Art Section. If people don't like their picture they can request for others to help, but for example, people like me like their character, and just want it re-done in a more realistic matter.

That's kinda difficult to do for 600 people.

I use RL playbys for a variety of reasons. 1) I think/live/write in the real world, its easier for me to handle and quantify. 2) Star Wars is in the 'real' media (props/people as opposed to artwork. 3) Deviant scares me. 4) I'm all for people using whichever PBs they want, but the second you (collective) break Star Wars ... or a gritty-space-opera-with-space-magic feel is when I get turned off.

Like, if we look at... Coren, his playby is Chase Crawford. There isn't many images of him that have me screaming 'Coren!' but the one image that does? It sticks. Now if we look at Token (Pixie Lott) or Kaia (Lights), they have a plethora of similarities to the public persona of their playby, and in the first case, it was a match after the fact (Token has gone through several face changes), and the latter was inspiration for the alt.

I've been on sites where you can't use actors/actresses/musicians, you can ONLY use models, to keep a sense of disconnect, they're not faces typically associated with a role, or story, and tend to have a variety of images/genres in their shoots. But... I'm getting off topic.

Laissez-faire, je dit.

[member="Safiriel Bane"]

Oh boy...Okay, let's backtrack a bit here.

You're the same person who has the sexually posed anime cat girl character that was defending your right to use sexualized anime cat characters in this thread, by claiming that they do not break Star Wars immersion several times. That everyone should be free to pick whatever they want for their character's picture. (Which I do agree with. I don't see any reason to ban avatars unless they are X-Rated.)

So, why on Earth would you then create this thread, to simply turn it into a debate about real actresses/actors/people. This is the exact same discussion as the one that was locked just a few days ago, just in reverse. You may not have said to outright ban them, but from this:

Safiriel Bane said:
maybe we can set up a system to try and help people find better refference pics? Because it might just be me but seeing selfie guy #452 just kills my mood when I see it
You are basically saying that people shouldn't be using real life photos for their avatars.

So, please explain to me why your cat-girl anime avatar is any better than someone using a famous actor? I am genuinely interested in hearing this.

[member="Seraphina Shel'tah"]

I believe you're missinterpreting what i'm trying to say. I have no problem with real life portraits, or even those of actors or normal people, aslong as they are thematically fitting. What I am trying to say is that when I see someone literally taking a selfie in the most non star wars settign ever, that is what breaks it for me. I'd be happy to pm you a few specific examples because I dont want to cause trouble by tagging them publically

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom