Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech RAW ALE Field Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Relentless Akovin Workshop
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Model: Accelerated Local Entropy (ALE) Field Generator
  • Modularity: Can be modulated for sizes up to a starfighter cockpit

• Production: Semi-Unique (Five characters)

[member="Triam Akovin"]

• Reserved Auction Winner

[*]Material: Electronic Components
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Accelerated Local Entropy - Magnifying the natural laws of thermodynamics, this generator can create an entropy field that increases local entropy in a limited field, as opposed to lowering entropy in its traditional use in Stasis Booths.
Strengths:
  • Slow Down! - This device can drastically accelerate local entropy around an individual (or individual cockpit) to slow down one's perception of time outside of the field by an abundant amount, allowing a user to use a great deal more amount of their time to react to events surrounding them they ordinarily may not have even the opportunity to notice without it. The effect is comparable to, and sometimes better than (dependent on user skill and intellect), Jedi reflexes. So while one won't be able to play a leisurely game of chess in the middle of melee combat, they could probably dodge those blaster bolts just fired at them without too much concern.
Weaknesses:
  • Cancer - The amount of radiation produced by the field is rather abundant, and while it isn't guaranteed to happen... it is entirely possible for the likelihood of contracting cancer to drastically increase the longer it's in use, and the more frequent it's used. Not recommended for use beyond a minute, though it is capable of holding the field together up to a maximum of thirty minutes... however at that length the increasing rates of intense radiation exposure will have reached a lethal threshold two dozen minutes before then. Those with armors that protect from radiation will obviously hold up much longer, but will find over time that their armor will spontaneously decay faster even after exiting the entropy field, making even this a temporary solution to the irradiation issue.
  • Data loss - Due to the exponentially increasing radiation spikes associated with using the device, not only does this entropy field become cancerous and lethal to organics, technological components that store data will find their information at far greater risk of being corrupted by radioactive particles interfering with their electronic encoding. Droids and technological devices that rely on programmed circuits will not fair any better in the accelerated entropy field than an organic. Activating the device is almost always an act of desperation, as the consequences of activating are greater than its benefit in any other situation.
  • Field Disturbance - Accelerating the natural processes of decay is no small feat or laughing matter, and attracts a great deal of attention with a number of disturbances to choose from. For instance, stealth technology is almost universally counteracted by this field, making the two technologies mutually exclusive to each other. Shields for the user will additionally be weaker while the field is active, as the energy bindings will spontaneously lose cohesion while it is active at random intervals.
  • Sensor Delay - The field may accelerate one's perception of time, but it will not accelerate the operational effectiveness of sensor technology. If one's actions depend on sensor information in order to make a decision, this technology will not help in the slightest. This means everything outside the field is slower compared to the user, including one's sensor information getting back to them. Additionally, anything that gives commands to anything outside the field, will do so in a delayed fashion to the perception of the user (such as if a field is used inside a starfighter cockpit, the pilots commands to the engines will not register to the observer inside the field until much later, the action itself though to an outside observer is measurably faster by a small margin than if no accelerated local entropy field was present).
DESCRIPTION

Some time ago, before Triam had her son, she had entered into a contest for inventors. The competition was held for a forty eight hour period and contestants only had access to a very specific set of materials to create something worthy of being crowned the "winner" of the contest.

Triam Akovin was crowned the victor of the contest after fashioning a device intended to circumvent a stasis booths ability to suspend objects and people in time, by creating an "Entropic Accelerator", a highly radioactive and unstable device with a very specific niche purpose.

For years that is as far as her technological prowess extended when it came to entropy field technology, but after so much time and research, Triam has improved upon her original makeshift prototype design and fashioned a small number of improved devices. With an operational limit almost ten times stronger than the original without the risk of catastrophic and explosive failure, these new devices are more stable and serve a broader purpose than the original due to that.

Of course, even pushing this technology to its limits, there was little Triam could do to mitigate against the debilitating effects of using it for even a fraction of its operational time constraints. The issue of radiation spikes could not be resolved, and she additionally observed additional concerning effects, such as data loss, and the increased decay of armor/materials even after leaving the influence of the field for some time, the weakening of shields and other field-based technology, the list went on for the number of issues the device directly caused upon activation. These devices would certainly be one's of last resort... but she was certain they would be extremely powerful and useful in the right set of intelligent hands.

Sometimes, all we needed was just a little extra time to get out of impossible situations, and this device does exactly that... for a cost.

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
[member="Triam Akovin"]

Okay, so basically this slows down time in a localized field.

I get the idea behind it. I like the concept and hell I can even sort of dig it, but the only source for something like this is from a Star Wars Comic published in 1979.

So I need you to qualify the uses of this more. What can and can't the user do. You've already added several good weaknesses and I like that, but I just...I just can't pass this if you're stopping time and playing a game of chess while someone is swinging a sword at you.

[member="Alric Kuhn"] perfectly understandable, and I'm not sure exactly on what to quantify a user can and cannot do, but I can elaborate I think on how effective the field itself is.

Would it be reasonable to tie in a user's relative movement into the equation of how effective the field is? Meaning if the user of the field stands still the field will be more effective, allowing a user to think, however, as soon as they drop into a dead sprint their perception of time also speeds up. The video game Super Hot seems to have a similar feature, where movement dictates the flow of time.

How this would work in a starfighter cockpit would be more difficult to explain, but perhaps I could just ax that part of it out for the sake of balance.

Another option I could see working is just hard limiting the perception of the flow of time to being comparable to or slightly better than Jedi reflexes.

So, which of these two options would you be more comfortable with?
  1. Tying perception of time to relative movement (axing starfighter capability)
  2. Hard capping the perception of time to a point the user appears comparable or maybe slightly better than one using Jedi reflexes

Alric Kuhn

Handsome K'lor'slug
Triam Akovin said:
Hard capping the perception of time to a point the user appears comparable or maybe slightly better than one using Jedi reflexes
Please do this.

I feel in the "Star Wars" sense of things it would create a better and more effective balance. It would also help many users wrap their mind around what this actually does without having to understand everything else.

[member="Alric Kuhn"], this is what I changed the original strength to:

• Slow Down! - This device can drastically accelerate local entropy around an individual (or individual cockpit) to slow down one's perception of time outside of the field by an abundant amount, allowing a user to use a great deal more amount of their time to react to events surrounding them they ordinarily may not have even the opportunity to notice without it. The effect is comparable to, and sometimes better than (dependent on user skill and intellect), Jedi reflexes. So while one won't be able to play a leisurely game of chess in the middle of melee combat, they could probably dodge those blaster bolts just fired at them without too much concern.

Does this better reflect what you'd like to see out of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom