Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Question

[member="Gir Quee"] or anyone judge who happens by, tagging you Gir cause you've done most of my vehicles, if you don't mind. I had a question on something I will be doing and I want to ensure I don't submit to the wrong section.

So, its going to be a 'mech suit', I suppose would be the best way to describe it, and I wasn't sure if I should submit it into Vehicles or Technology. The reason I am hesitating is the Power Armor vs Personal Walker line. I am leaning towards vehicle for two reasons 1. Power Armor, and Exoskeletons, enhance the abilities of the wearer because, at the end of the day, its still the wearer doing all of it. The 'suit' I will be making does all of the work and the person in it is actively piloting it. 2. The weapon systems are hard mounted onto the 'suit'. It isn't like, say, power armor where, while it may have its own weapons, they tend to be designed to allow the user to pick up and use weaponry like they normally would.

But, on the flip side, the line between moving themselves and piloting is thin because the suit is only about twice as large as a person, meant to have them inside controlling it and when they move X body part, the suit moves. So I can see that being a candidate for power armor instead of personal walker.

Anyways, just wanted to get this clarified so as to not waste anyone's time by submitting it in the wrong location.

Iona Immarya said:
But, on the flip side, the line between moving themselves and piloting is thin because the suit is only about twice as large as a person, meant to have them inside controlling it and when they move X body part, the suit moves. So I can see that being a candidate for power armor instead of personal walker.
[member="Iona Immarya"], mechs have generally not been allowed (see Rule #8 here) because they don't fit into the established idea of what Star Wars is. (Here are some denied examples: here and here).

Because of that, if I were to see that as a submission as a judge, I'd steer you towards either making it closer in concept to distinctly be a power armor or a walker.

[member="Gir Quee"] I was going to make them more Star Wars feeling, but if I may ask, where does the 'Mech' end and the 'Walker' begin? Is it a matter of crew size and the size of the vehicle, itself? Or is it more on agility? Where personal walkers are still fairly... clunky in their movements compared to the more 'human' like fluidity of mechs in other fiction?

EDIT: To clarify, I wasn't going to call it a 'mech', I was going to steer it towards being a personal walker, in terms of conception, but I wanted to see if it was something that would be dubbed personal walker over powered suit.

[member="Iona Immarya"], this goes into the "I know it when I see it..." sort of thing. There are thus no hard rules on that to which all factory staff or judges will look to definitively say it crossed the line.

Personally, when I see something with large, powered arms that is significantly larger than a person (as in greater than 25% of a normal person's dimensions), it has crossed into the mech line.

[member="Gir Quee"] I see your point. I think the smaller ones I was thinking of would be better off as just war droids since I think it would fit better into the Star Wars theme, and I think I like that idea better anyways.

On this, what about the below [sorry if this is any inconvenience, it truly is a big help]
tumblr_ovcjvq_Hfe91uym32uo1_500.jpg

Ignore the small one at its heel.

The big one, it does have a bi-pedal form with powered arms, however the arms are 'weapons' and not really 'arms' that has a hand that could be used to grab anything else [akin to the classic gundams we all know and.. partially hate]. Its dimensions are 'humanoid' but also slightly off especially with the bulky chest which I was thinking of having a crew of one or two sitting inside a cockpit, located in the chest, and controlling it, akin to, say, an AT-AT using external sensors instead of viewpoints giving them more protection, helping hide them somewhat as most would assume they would be in the head but also making them more exposed to EMP weaponry as they have no view-ports to use as manual sights should their systems be disrupted.

The small ones at its heels, to me, are certainly 'mechs' and I think those should be made into war droids to fit into Star Wars, but the bigger, more alien and ponderous one, strikes me more as a 'heavy walker' then a 'mech', but what would your opinion on it be?

[member="Iona Immarya"]

Anything that is piloted via a single/double person cockpit that has limbs which articulate and can equip/unequip weapons via the pilot's command (IE: the pilot moves their left arm, the vehicle moves its left arm)

Or otherwise generally operates like this:

QBCyrBU.gif
Will be denied.​

[member="Gir Quee"] Thanks, your opinion is what I wanted on this. Will be some time before I get to this project anyways, gives me more time to help hash out some features and writing that will further make it sit more into the heavy walker category, and I also have some war droid ideas now, so thank you for your time! It was a huge help.

EDIT:

[member="Jamie Pyne"] Okay, so the walker I posted, the one where its arms are the guns, so they cannot equip or toss them aside nor use them to grip or change to anything, where its controls are, akin to the AT-AT, controlled by a dedicated driver using complicated systems, and is going to be very lumbering, once again more like an AT-AT in movements rather then the more fluid chicken AT-ST would be okay?

I would recommend just using power armor rather than going through all of the work that would be had to get a mecha in use until someone reports it.

It only matters if the person you're directly engaging in PvP cares. With how weird things are on Chaos, and with all the crazy stuff people do and create... Nuance like that shouldn't really matter to most people. For all practical purposes, it's no different from engaging a wookiee Mandalorian or some other armored lug with a gun.

Have it manned by a crew of 6+.
Set it up like a vehicle would move. Give it gunners, pilots plural, a captain and a technician. Slow and lumbering.

Much less reference to mechwarrior or anything else if the thing is run by a dedicated crew. Better in battle too, as one hit to the single pilot and all you've got is dead weight.

I tend to agree though its not worth the hassle and you are better off aiming for a more traditional walker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom