Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about planetary governments and the armies they hold.

Right so. For the storyline I'm planning I gotta finally start building an army for Ferus, and I plan to start with Iridonia as he's king there. Problem is I've never done this kind of RP (well, done it right at least) and I'm looking for some guidance before I start making threads and subs about it.

Main question is basically what's the usual number for a planetary army/navy to hold? I dont wanna hand wave anything, but I gotta start somewhere. I'm just not sure whrre.

Thanks ahead of time.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Start a Corporation for your planet's government to build ships and guns. Use the company guidelines in the Factory to build a corporate Fleet. Enjoy your private army. :D

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Darth Ferus"] - Meh.

1. Click on Rules in the Top Banner
2. Click on Codex/Factory Rules
3. Click on Factory Rules
4. Click on Company Rules
5. Read the whole page
6. Submit a Tier 2 Company to the Factory

[member="Darth Ferus"]

Submit it and call the company something like "Iridionian National Guard" or something. I did it with Pantora when I first joined the site.

Alternatively you could create a minor faction, or just not submit anything at all and simply have a "within reason" army and a "small fleet".

At the end of the day, especially for the army stuff, people don't really care what you put out so long as it's OOC background noise to what two PCs are doing and you don't roll over what they're writing with numbers.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
As someone who wonders about this sort of thing occasionally, I'll chime in.

There is no 'average' military force, it's going to depend on the population, level of technology, industrialization, urban vs rural, etc, etc. This starts getting sort of absurd with high-pop worlds like Coruscant. For example if Coruscant had one person under arms per 100,000 people (including police) you're still talking about a standing force of twenty million. For the record, 1 cop per 100,000 is fairly unrealistic.

A decent rule of thumb is that modern industrialized nations have less than 1% of their population 'under arms' or otherwise serving in the military. They also often have a sizable reserve component.

As mentioned before this will be modified based on the type of planet. If it's a pseudo-medieval/tribal world divided up among a bunch of feuding lords or whatever, you're going to have a much higher percentage of people engaged in the profession of arms. If it's like Alderaan was, and a pacifist world, you're probably going to have a much lower percentage.

Navies are tricky too. You either need a suitable industrial base (to make ships) or a very lucrative economic base (to buy ships) to support one. Preferably both, because navies are expensive.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Natalie LaForte said:
Alternatively you could create a minor faction, or just not submit anything at all and simply have a "within reason" army and a "small fleet".
1. Minor Factions can field military vessels up to 1000m with no cap towards Fleet size. From Starship Template 5.0

2. Tier 2 Companies start with a ship size of 800m and a total Fleet cap of 2000m.

3. Tier 6 Companies start with a ship size of 2000m and cap their Fleet at 15,000m.

So yes. Going the route of Minor Faction is much easier. But, often requires the help of multiple people and ya know. Building a faction. Lulz. :p

Oh this suddenly got complicated. [member="Cyrus Tregessar"] that makes a lot of sense. I'm not really looking to make a minor faction or a company, just a story that involves a big army and it was suggested I make subs n stuff for it. So I guess taking what you said into account I should make generalized subs and just have fun with the story I have in mind?

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Darth Ferus"]

As a general rule, Factory and Codex are optional but recommended for anything that might involve other people. The issue with making subs in a vacuum is typically they'll need an Affiliation. Same idea with technology. The easiest way to handle it imo is to just make a minor faction and use it as a holding group.

So for the military of a planet, you could call it the 'Planet Armed Forces' or something and just use it as a Manufacturer and Affiliate for all the associated subs. Assuming you're not making dreadnoughts or planet killing turbolasers, shouldn't be an issue. That also gives you the option to expand said minor faction later on if you want to keep using it, and prevents said subs from being tied to a Major that goes defunct or something like that.

I love worldbuilding, so feel free to ask if you have any questions. Iridonia is a militant-minded, well connected, technologically advanced world. It would probably have a fairly extensive local military. There's also lots of historical Zabrak colonies with a close association to the homeworld, and the planet might have retained some ability to project power. One option if you want to go hardcore is to make a Chaos Canon sub of Iridonia to fill in the gaps between where canon lore ends and where we're at in the Chaos timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom