Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proposal [Based on The Rain]

Hey hey!

I just finished watching Netflix's show The Rain, and I'm itching to write something in a similar world. I have a few ideas, but I wanted to make sure I could find at least one interested party before I took the plunge. It's no fun writing alone!

Here's the basic premise:
A group of scientists sets out to create a "universal vaccine." Perhaps they, or someone they love, belong to a species with very poor immune systems. Or maybe they're just good people, who knows. But they venture to a tiny planet to test their work. It all goes wrong, and ends up making people MORE susceptible to reactions.

In typical The Rain style, the "vaccine" is spread through the water - contact with rain, or bodies of water, leads to a reaction. A small dose will leave the individual in a zombie-like state, while a larger one will lead to violent death. Water can be boiled until it is safe, and water inside a plant or animal is safe (so there's still food available).

Here are some of my ideas:
  • While the majority of the population on the small planet was wiped out, there are collections of survivors. Each have their own unique quirks. It would be fun to explore these different groups.
  • Basic survival in a world like this is hard, especially when it becomes dog eat dog. This could lead to post-apoc type stories.
  • Suppose the planet is found to contain valuable natural resources. What would outsiders be willing to do to collect them? What risks might this pose in the future?
  • Is there a cure? What could brilliant minds come up with, given the right support?
In short, I'm still relatively new to the site, and I'm looking to get my feet wet. I don't see any point in creating a planet if I'll be the only one to use it. And hey, maybe there's already something like it that I overlooked. I'd also like to find a few partners in crime, so please let me know if you'd be interest! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom