Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Poor Podracing Performance

Cotan had been cutting the meat into thin strips when Rhia came back with the onions and the garlic, before promptly returning to her seat and the book. He paid no attention to it for a moment, before Asha spoke up. "It'd be a good addition, wouldn't it?" he said thoughtfully, cutting up the last steak. Soon enough he was finished and had a pan heating up on a thermapad.

He took a very surreptitious glance towards Rhia, making it look less like he was looking at her and more like he was looking around for something.

Then he sighed and shook his head. "Rhia, I forgot to ask, could you go grab the bantha butter and the sour cream too? Sorry to keep sending you back and forth, but for some reason I can only think of what I need after I hit the point that I need it." When the girl retreated from the room again, Cotan turned back to Asha, a small smile on his face.

"Now I know why the masters always tried to keep us so busy when I was younger," he said quietly to her, to make sure his voice wouldn't carry over to the food storage space. "It does a great job of helping calm kids down, distract their mind, that sort of thing. Certainly seems to be helping with Rhia for the time being." Hopefully the trio would manage to get completely through dinner before Cotan would have to answer the questions that were undoubtedly bouncing around in Rhia's head and making her seem so anxious.

He moved over to the onions, grabbing a knife and starting into the process of peeling it. "Want to help with these?" he asked after a moment, nodding at the rest of the onions that they had. "Or you could start to peel and dice the garlic, if you like. Either would be helpful."

[member="Asha Hex"] [member="Rhia Kesyk"]

cf810df9e05d9e38cb8ac95e16c525c5-dcjihnn.png
And See The World Hanging Upside Down

It wasn't as though she was actually tired, the girl had spent most of the day resting, though perhaps that was the cause of it. Sometimes it was difficult to shake away that tiredness when you hadn't yet been challenged mentally for the day, when you'd lazied around.

A yawn provided another momentary distraction, so much so that by the time she was done, and had the cookbook open, Cotan's voice had once again rang out across the galley. And once again the girl was bade to rise up from the seat to go off in search of more items for their meal.

Of course she had not figured out what was going on, there was no frustration within her, and this time when she walked to the food storage her mind was actually really rather blank, her thoughts more on the task at hand than anything else.

In fact, when she came back into the galley she had quite forgotten about her need to read the cookbook, and after placing the requested items down she hovered around near the hotplates Cotan was cooking at.

"What are you making, Master?" she inquired, a lot of the weight she'd been carrying now lifted from her shoulders. "It smells great already."

While Cotan set about prepping the onions, Asha turned her attention to the pesky garlic. It wasn't necessarily difficult to work with, in fact the woman didn't mind it at all, but it was unnaturally sticky which made it difficult to remove the dried paper-like outer layer from time to time. Luckily she'd developed a trick over the years, and when she set a few cloves down on a cutting board she used the flat of her knife to crush them with that self same layer still in tact.

Afterward the clove itself was effortlessly released, and she set about dicing it somewhat finely.

"I was always kept busy at her age," she said, without looking up from her work, "Though I think that was more to do with the fact that there was only the two of us. Meant there was always something which needed doing, or studying to be done in the quieter hours."

When the girl returned from her third venture out to the stores, Asha glanced across at him and raised one brow. "Seems like it's working," she mouthed at him, when the girl wasn't looking her way. With the garlic tended to she reached over to snag one of the remaining onions, figuring that two could work faster than one.

"Oh, good," Cotan said when Rhia dropped off the materials. He caught what Asha mouthed at him from the corner of his vision, and winked in return when Rhia looked down at the vegetables. "Not sure what it's called. I was taught to make it by some guy from Ando Prime." He quicky grabbed the butter, spooning out a well-sized chunk of it into the pan and quickly spreading it around.

It melted out quickly, and he began to lay the strips of steak in it to fry. "Rhia, do you think you could help Asha finish cutting up the onions?" he asked, nodding at where he'd just been standing. "Be careful not to cut yourself. That medbay has already gotten the most use it had since I was on Coruscant." He frowned for a moment, when the realization struck him that he probably hadn't yet told Rhia about how he'd been involved fighting on Coruscant.

Whoops.

Not that it would make too much difference, beyond potentially surprising the girl. Even then, they'd already had enough surprises between all three of them for one day. He yawned himself—still somewhat tired, even if he had been spending most of the day sleeping—and stepped back from the frying strips of meat. "So, Rhia," he asked, while he moved over to a different cabinet, "Just what was that book that I handed you after we got you out of the medbay?"

He rummaged around in the cabinet for a bit, before pulling out a bottle of Corellian wine. He eyed it critically for a moment—mainly just to make sure it wasn't one he'd already opened in the past and left sitting rather than properly taking care of it—before deciding it would suffice for his purposes and taking it to set beside where he was cooking. "I'm almost surprised I haven't opened this bottle before today," he mused to himself, lifting a couple pieces of meat to check them. "Good thing I didn't, though, otherwise I might not have had anything to deglaze the pan."

Though she perked back up soon enough, shuffling over to where Asha was working and picking up one of the smaller knives. She began to strip one of the very last onions, before looking to Asha for an example on how to cut them. The woman set down her own knife and stepped over to assist with the first two or so cuts, and then Rhia was left to her own devices though obviously watched.

"Coruscant?" she asked, faintly recalling that name from some of the history lessons she'd received growing up, "Why does that sound so familiar?"

So focused on cutting, it took her a little while to actually recall which book it was that she'd been handed. It didn't help that she'd fallen asleep before getting to read it, of course.

"The Slug Named Grendel, Master," the girl informed him, without looking his way. "It isn't real, I don't think, but I wanted to try it anyway." After all, back on Orax he'd seemed surprised by the fact that she hadn't ready 'storybooks' since she was much younger. Made it seem like she'd been missing out. What she'd read of it had been fun enough, if a little creepy. She couldn't imagine there being a giant space slug onboard their ship, that would be gross.

As Rhia was sent her way, Asha put down her knife and leaned over the girl in order to show her a safer way of holding the knife, and cutting the bulbous vegetable.

She made a few choice incisions into the flesh, once it had been removed of its outer layer, and split the onion in half almost completely, leaving a spot near the top to act as an anchor for her hand, fingertips pushed back slightly so that the knuckles acted as a barrier. No sense in either of them losing a digit, or the tip of one.

When the girl seemed to get the general idea, she returned to her own cutting board and watched her from the corner of her eye.

Cotan's words naturally drew her attention for just a moment, watching as he brought out a bottle of wine, though immediately her attention returned to the knife-wielding ten year old.

"I honestly didn't even realize there was any alcohol on the ship," she informed him, no doubt a testament to his hiding skills. Asha would never have even known he drank, truth be told, though this particular bottle was for use in the meal. The actual alcohol would burn off, of course, though from the sounds of things it would not harm the girl anyway.

"That's an old one," Cotan said with some mild surprise upon learning the book Rhia had been reading. "Came out just after the start of the Clone Wars. Which would make it..." He looked up for a moment, doing some mental math. "About eight-hundred and fifty-five years old. I'm surprised they still sell it." He went back to the food, checking on the meat; soon enough he was grabbing a small bowl and setting all the strips of meat into it.

Just as he was finished, Ash and Rhia finished up chopping the onions, and Cotan gathered them all into the pan he'd just been working with and started frying them as well. "You just haven't looked for it at all," he replied to Asha while he did so. "If there's ever anything on my ship you don't know about, it's because you haven't looked for it, not because I hide it." He moved the bowl containing the cooked meat over to another heating pad, just to keep it warm.

A quick check on the potatoes made it obvious that they weren't quite done, leaving the group with nothing much to do overall, other than Cotan hovering over the onions and garlic to make sure they didn't burn. "So, now that we now today has gone completely not how we expected," he started, "What do you think we might go and do tomorrow?" Truth be told, aside from 'great ready for the podrace' there wasn't much that Cotan could come up with on that front. "Maybe we can find another bookstore and try to find an old copy of Night Mynock to go along with The Slug Named Grendel."

Her mouth dropped slightly when he revealed the age of the book sitting on her bedside table.

"You're lying," she said, in surprise, though she quickly followed it up with "I mean, not that you lie, but... How old?!" It was incomprehensible to a mind like hers, and just like her Master she was surprised by the fact that it was still around and in production. After all her copy was brand new, lacking any sign of age at all. One she'd picked up back on Orax.

Turning up her head slightly she sniffed the air as the scent of the searing meat wafted on by. A very subtle pang of hunger ran through her, though nowhere near what it ought to have been given how long it had been since she'd eaten anything more than a couple of crackers.

Soon enough the girl had the onion finished up, and she slid the board over toward Asha's - in the direction of Cotan - and moved off to wash her hands.

"I enjoyed the bookstore on Orax," she informed him in agreement, with a smile over her shoulder, before walking over to take a seat at the table, "What is Night Mynock?"

Asha looked at Cotan suspiciously when he made his statement concerning the hiding of alcohol, though soon enough she'd broken into a light chuckle.

"I do suppose you're not the type to hide something," she offered with a shrug, he was very unapologetically himself after all. If he had wanted a sip of alcohol then he would've, though she doubted he would ever do so in front of his apprentice. Maybe that was why she'd never noticed. Asha, who had only ever had but a sip of alcohol, didn't understand the appeal. But she wasn't the type to look down on someone or judge them for their consumption, either. All things in moderation, so long as it was legal.

Now, had it been spice? Then maybe there'd be conversations to be had, and an intervention.

... She really hoped there was no spice. She looked at him again, a little more closely this time. Definitely didn't look like he abused such things.

Shaking that stupid thought from her mind, unsure of what had even brought it about, she stepped over to where Cotan was busy cooking and pondered on the question of what to do the next day. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been to Tatooine - had she ever? - but she knew it had a decidedly bad reputation. Perhaps sticking to the towns would be best.

"We could always go and listen to some Glitz, I hear there are some great bands to be found in Mos Eisley if you know where to look." Of course she wasn't going to deny them all a look into a bookshop either.

Cotan thought a moment more after Rhia's question. "Actually, I think I'm off by about twenty-ish years," he said. "It'd be more like...eight hundred and seventy years since it was first published. That sound about right to you, Asha?" he asked, looking over as she stepped up next to him. "Night Mynock is a book by the same author, by the way. Only reason I mentioned it." He moved the onions and garlic around a bit with a spatula, making sure nothing sat around too long and started to burn. He'd hate to have to start everything over again.

"Well, those are going to be about fifteen minutes before they hit the point I want," he mumbled to himself, running the recipe back through his head. One of the quickest things he knew how to make that would provide for an acceptable full dinner, and it still took...

Longer than his already-grumbling stomach was particularly willing to wait.

"Glitz, eh?" he asked after a moment, looking over at Asha. "I didn't take you for the sort of person to enjoy music like that. Would've thought you'd have more classical leanings." He rummaged around in another cabinet for a moment, pulling out a pair of wine glasses. For all that he knew that Rhia wouldn't be affected at all by the wine, he still didn't feel particularly comfortable giving it to her. Alien physiology or not, she was still just a kid.

Then, given that he hadn't had anything whatsoever to drink in a few hours, Cotan went over to the bottle and quickly uncorked out. "Care to try some?" he asked Asha, while pouring himself a glass. "Can't really do much to store it after it's been opened, after all, and it'd be a shame to waste it." Partially because of the fact that it would mean wasted money on Cotan's part, not just wasted wine.

Not that he was going to point that bit out.

"Oh? I like all kinds of music," the woman responded, flashing him a smile, "Though I doubt there are bands playing my favourites down on Tatooine, love."

Did she really just say that? So casually? In front of Rhia? Her cheeks turned crimson, their new favourite state of being, before she brushed over the blunder and coughed into her hand, taking care to turn from the stove top for obvious reasons.

"What about you, kiddo?" she directed at Rhia, in hopes that it might make her slip up go a little more unnoticed, "What kind of music do you like?"

Hearing the cork pop from its place in the bottle, Asha turned back to Cotan and raised one slender brow curiously. She knew what wine was, obviously, but she'd never been around it, not even for personal cooking purposes, and as such she was both curious and uncertain at the prospect of trying.

"You know, I've never drank before," she told him, a little sheepishly, "I mean, I tried a sip of some beer when I met with [member="Jorus Merrill"] because it seemed like the thing to do," Why she'd done it she didn't know, wasn't like there was any peer pressure involved. Maybe that had been why, it was just so casual an offer. Like being offered a drink of soda... Either way she hadn't particularly enjoyed it, a fact the old spacer had likely been able to tell.

Glancing to the glasses, then the bottle, she finally shrugged.

"I can't see it doing any harm, though, so why not? You're meant to sip it, right?"

"Like that's any better!" she said, with wide eyes, when another 20 years was plonked on top of the number. Poor girl looked like her eyes were about to explode from her head, but she was intrigued also. Another book, by the same person? That meant it would be just as old!

Of course, her attention was stolen by the words Asha uttered. One, in particular, had her snap her head toward the woman incredulously. The poor girl almost choked on her surprise, and if not for the question which was posed her way she might have had a thing or two to say.

Thankfully Asha's attempt at distracting her worked, though not for the reason she had intended. Instead she looked over to Cotan with a small frown.

"Oh yeah..." she mumbled, as though she just remembered something super important, "We never did find out what music was, back on Orax..."

Eyes back on the woman, she shrugged. "I don't know. My mean old Master forgot to show me what it was..."

She grinned then, but it was, of course, short lived.

"Are you trying to give me a heart-attack?" the girl asked, extremely and surprisingly deadpan, as she stared at the bottle of wine. While she could accept its use in cooking, the fact that they were about to drink it had the poor girl on the brink of hyperventilation. "You people..." she muttered, trying to break the tension she felt within herself.

Things aren't as you've been told they are, she reminded herself, finding herself more able to trust what Cotan said over what the Masters of old had raised her to believe. The veil was coming down from in front of her eyes, one little inch at a time. She could only hope that her Master wasn't lying to her also.

"I don't practice morichro, Rhia," Cotan replied innocently, pouring a glass for Asha and passing it to her. "I would never do something like that to my own Padawan, anyways. Probably wouldn't make me a very good master if I did that." Nevermind that she had just called him mean and old for forgetting to take her to see something musical while they were on Orax. Whoops. He took a sip of his wine, glancing over at the onions and garlic that were happily cooking away.

Not much to bother with when it came to those.

"Also, I can't recommend ever drinking with Merrill. That old man has been around the galaxy enough times that he's probably drank everything there is to drink and then some. At some point in the night he'd probably forget that not everybody has sucked down whatever rotgut swill by the gallon that they make on Demonsgate, and might drive his drinking partner into a hospital trip rather than a fun night out." Cotan shuddered at that, remembering some of his own bad experiences with the drinking material on the supposed-capital of the ORC. "Maybe I'm wrong, and he's more of a bastion of temperance than I imagine he is. But I've never met a spacer as experienced as him who didn't have a liver made out of neuranium."

At least Jorus was a good Jedi, whatever the man may or may not have gotten up to in his spare time. The events over Utapau had been proof enough of that, although Cotan was a bit bothered by the airdropped supplies that had nearly landed on himself. He tossed the onions and garlic around a bit again, before leaving them to sit. And wait. Music really would be nice right now. It'd certainly make the time go by faster than being worried about Rhia's reactions to all the different things that had been happening and still were happening.

"You know, I might not have a dedicated player, but we could probably manage to route something through the ship's intercom," he mused to Asha. "I should have some data cards full of songs from all sorts of different places, from the old ship. Maybe we could hook Kiss into the system and have him play the music through it?" It was a dangerous proposition, given the droid's proclivity towards messing with his master, but it was worth a shot. Cotan gave Asha a winning smile, concealing a somewhat more dangeorus grin that had threatened to take over his features.

"Care to go look for them, dear?" he asked sweetly, paying no mind to the strangled noises Rhia was sure to start making. "Should be in the third drawer down on the right on my desk, I think. Just find anything you like and make the droid start playing it for us."

Cotan's reference to morichro had Asha biting back a laugh of her own.

"That was a quick comeback," the woman mumbled, as she tried to wrap her head around the fact that the girl had never listened to music. Who hadn't listened to music?! It was ludicrious. "I guess that settles it then," she said, tone somewhat mock-authoritative, "Off to see one of the bands, tomorrow!"

The glass in her hand was inspected for a moment, gently sniffed, and then sipped. She was pleasantly surprised to find it tasted nothing like the can of beer she'd tried on the station, yet she couldn't quite decide if she liked it very much either. Perhaps her palette was simply not adjusted to the intense flavours, yet.

She didn't set it down, however, and took a few more sips in hopes that she might overcome the initial surprise with regards to its taste.

When Cotan suggested they fandangle a method of listening to music, she was both excited and disappointed in one.

"And ruin her first chance? For shame! Though... There really is nothing quite like seeing a concert for the first time."

Two first times in the span of 24 hours? Both to do with music? Well, the girl was luckier than most. Asha couldn't even remember the first time she'd heard a song, or even one live for that matter. With a smile in his direction when he asked her to go and find the data cards in his desk.

Surprisingly enough she didn't seem to show any sort of embarrassment at the returned term of endearment, not even with the girl present, instead the smallest little smiles tugged at her lips as she set off down the hall, glass in hand.

"Mor...what?"

The girl stared at Cotan like he had just spoken to her in shyriiwook, or some other foreign language the girl did not yet know, entirely baffled. Of course, the woman's barely hidden laughter did not help matters. Rhia did not like big the last one in a room to know, yet today it seemed as though that was to be the way of things. She frowned, yet of course it was very short lived.

After all, the conversation soon returned to music.

Not just that, but the promise of hearing some. Either on the ship, or live in person. Her eyes lit up, and she practically bounced in her seat, bursting at the seams with excitement.

"Oh, can we, Cotan?" she asked, quite forgetting formality in that moment, "Please!"

Her eyes followed Asha as the woman left the room in search of the data cards, and that excitement only continued to blossom and swell.

"Morichro," Cotan replied back at Rhia, with a grin at Asha for recognizing the comeback. "Basically, it's the more advanced version of a Force Trance. But you can do it to other people, not just yourself." Cotan's grin grew kinda sheepish, as he turned and moved the onions around again, keeping them from burning. "I've never been particularly good with any of it, though." It was something that had been moderately annoying to Cotan for a while by that point. Great with a lightsaber, mediocre with the Force.

"Yes, don't worry, we'll have music playing fairly quickly," he told her after she started bouncing in place. "How about you go grab Kiss and bring him back here before Asha gets back with the datacards?" he suggested. "It'll get some energy out of you, everything will be in place to play the music once he's here, and most importantly, I don't have to leave the onions and garlic alone and run the risk that they burn. Besides, he might be more willing to come for you than for me."

[member="Rhia Kesyk"] [member="Asha Hex"]

It didn't take her very long at all to reach the room she'd spent the afternoon napping in.

His desk was in disarray, though she'd known that already after searching for Rhia's papers that morning. Thankfully he'd given her the exact location, so she dipped into the right hand drawer and after a little bit of rummaging she unearthed a few data cards. Hopefully they were what he'd meant, because she couldn't see anything else even remotely similar.

After glancing around the room for a moment, and smiling to herself now that nobody was looking, she stepped back out into the hall before making her way back into the galley.

There only Cotan remained.

Stepping over to him, she kissed his cheek before settling the data cards down onto an empty work surface. She didn't say anything, instead simply happy to wait for Rhia's return - which was apparently accompanied by Kiss.

Which made sense.

"Huh," was the girl's response, it certainly wasn't a Force power she'd ever heard of, not that that was saying much, maybe she'd have to start looking into more of them. She didn't even really understand the fact that there were names for most of what was known through the Force, outside of blanket statements like healing and telekinesis.

"Okay, Master!" she chimed, when the suggestion to go and fetch Kiss was made, and quick as a flash the girl was up from her seat and on her way through the ship toward the cockpit where the droid was no doubt spending his time, as he had been earlier. Perhaps he'd found something else to fix up, or maybe he was powering down, either way when she stepped up into the cockpit she coughed to make herself known, and then glanced his way.

"C'mon, Kiss," the girl said, with a voice laced with pure excitement, "Master Cotan wants you in the galley, he said he's going to show me what music is! Isn't that exciting?"

Of course any response he gave was unknown by the girl, who just as quickly made her way back down to the galley, hoping that her droidy friend was following...

While the other two left the room, Cotan turned back to the onions and garlic, stirring them around. They were starting to soften up, so he started to dump in some flour over the butter-frying vegetables. Both to thicken up the sauce later, and so that the flour itself would get some taste beyond just being powdered grain. Once he felt he had enough he stirred it around a bit, stepping back just in time for Asha to pop in. "Looks like the right stuff," he observed appreciatively after she kissed him. He spread the cards out, taking a look at some of the markings he'd made on each one.

A short distance away, K1-S5 was busy trying to repair the connection between the pilot's yoke and the actual control surfaces for the craft, as there was some sort of odd delay between when the yoke was pulled and when the ship responded. Nothing the organics would notice until it got far worse, but in the astromech's opinion, the 4.31 picosecond delay was unacceptable. Unfortunately, the short organic soon arrived, bearing orders from the one that owned the ship. ::K1=Displeased,:: the astromech grumbled, the sound coming out like grinding gears. But, obedient as ever, it quickly followed along behind the girl.

K1 at least liked having somebody else as short as he was onboard.

Back in the galley, Cotan turned from his contemplation of the data cards as Rhia and K1 arrived in the room. "Ah, Kiss, glad you could make it," he said with some obviously-fake cheerfulness, the droid mockingly chirping back at him. "Well, we needed somebody to be a music player stand-in. Think you could hook into the computer jack there and route data through the intercom speakers here?" K1, oddly enough for a droid, appeared completely stupefied. Cotan shrugged, though his face had a bit of a triumphant grin that he was barely managing to keep off of it.

Resignedly, K1 did as asked, hooking itself into the jack and opening a slot ot receive a data card. Cotan grabbed the one he thought would be good, sliding it into the access on the droid. "Play us something good," he said, before stepping back over by the pan, stirring the contents again. Soon enough, an upbeat song started to play over the speakers, Cotan raising an eyebrow back at the droid. Sure enough, he noticed that it had never fully accepted the data card within the slot.

::K1!Taste > Master!Taste,:: the droid cheekily replied.

Asha grinned upon finding out that she'd collected the correct datacards, and leaned back against the counter while observing him, the food he was presently cooking up for them, and then - when they arrived - the girl and the droid. Kiss, of course, seemed rather incredulous at the idea of being a portable jukebox for the trio, and set about playing a selection of his own choosing. Or at least, Asha guessed as much given the choice in song and the look Cotan gave him.

For her own part, Asha merely chuckled.

"Wasn't quite what I'd imagined her first taste of music would be," Asha mused, as though she'd known for years that the poor girl had gone without when in truth it hadn't been more than a couple of minutes at most, "But it could be worse. Reminds me of some of the less favourable places I've dined at though."

Stepping over to the droid, after pushing away from the counter, Asha pouted ever so slightly.

"C'mon, Kiss, play something the girl might actually enjoy... Can you imagine never having heard music before?"

She tssk'd the droid playfully, lips twitching in good humour.

[member="Cotan Sar'andor"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom