Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promotion

Just a brief note before I get to the main point of this thread; I am not ready for a promotion at the moment, nor am I looking to speed the process of achieving one. I am merely curious as to what it takes for one to be promoted specifically through the Silver Sanctum Coalition.

And, that brings me to the point of this post; What exactly does it take for one to achieve rank promotions through the Silver Sanctum Coalition?

I'd like a sort of in-depth explanation of this, as in is Character Development taken in as a factor? Training threads? Faction Activity? Post count? etc...

I do apologize if this has been answered somewhere else, I may have overlooked it searching through the sub forums.

[member="Coryn Raxis"]

This is generally subjective depending on who promotes you. So I can only go on what I look for when considering promoting a Padawan to Knighthood, and Knight to Master.

It is not necessarily quantity of threads but rather quality and diversity of threads. A good mix of missions, private RPs, faction one etc. For me I look to see the training threads, if you are developing your Jedi through that arc and whether you are gaining force skills. Also, and this is not necessary, but I look to see who is active within the faction.

As for master, well that requires more from me. Activity is one of the main ones at this point for me. A Knight that trains others, takes on missions and generally does the work. The threads required are the same as above, more of them in this case and solid development of force skills. I do check the threads that are listed on the tracker to see if they are a reasonable length as in, not a thread with only one or two posts.

I am probably more strict than most when I review for Master vote, but that is my method behind the madness.

I hope that helps you a bit. Others will have differing methods and I will look forward to reading those as well.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Going by my criteria I usually forgo activity. You could be active for a week or a month, character dev can happen at anytime in any thread regardless of length, training is not for everyone some people have done one training thread their entire character's lifespan. It is the same for pvp as not everyone enjoys it or wants to just fight. Thread length is hard as you could do a thread, have it all set up and planned with a person and get one or two posts in before something happens and they disappear. This has happened before and sometimes it can't be helped. Post count is not really important as it can be inflated just being in the posting games so you could be a week old padawan with a couple hundred from just messing around in there as opposed to ones who post generally in all IC with a few exceptions.

No I look for fun, are you enjoying yourself? Do your posts have a passion and drive over mechanical feel. If the other people in the thread are having fun and seem to be included should you be running it. Are you being part of a team or being the center of attention?

[member="Coryn Raxis"]

Coci Heavenshield said:
This is generally subjective depending on who promotes you. So I can only go on what I look for when considering promoting a Padawan to Knighthood, and Knight to Master.

What [member="Coci Heavenshield"] said.

I try to tie it to what my characters would expect or demand, since I try to keep promotions connected to IC events. To date, Siobhan and Kaida have trained and promoted three apprentices to knight: Tempest, Natoline Kerrigan and Elayne Saedaris. The reasoning and what the girls did to earn the promotion varied, as did their post counts and stories, but in all three cases we had clear character development, Force progression and field work that showed they earned it. Both my Master chars are focused on practical work, so that'll count the most.

As for Master, yep activity is vital. Personally I don't think training someone else to Knight is a prerequisite. Siobhan never trained anyone until she had been a Master for a long time, same with Kaida (who ICly is very averse to teaching). If someone wants to be a Master, I'd ask what are they a Master of? If a Knight has a long list of threads, but most of them are just random posts, there's little development and/or personality, then I'd say that candidate is not ready, compared to someone who's got less threads but actual development.

A word on training threads, strictly speaking training does not necessarily have to consist of 'I go to Master X to learn Force Power Y'. I've had fun writing those threads, once the awkwardness of 'lift random rock for X minutes' is overcome, but training can easily consist of a mission. E.g. Let's say you have a character who's focused on lightsabre combat, telekinesis or similar offensive stuff.

So you to explore some ancient Sith tomb, kill lots of beasties in the process, something you're good at. Then you encounter an ancient spirit who decides it would be fun to mind rape you. In other words you have to deal with something you've got little training for, and must use ingenuity to survive. Perhaps you overcome the challenge but emerge very scarred and damaged...but you've gained XP! And have incentive to better yourself. Or things go very badly...in which case you have XP as well. School of hard knocks builds character.

Nima Tann

Master of Her Own Destiny
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"] [member="Coci Heavenshield"]

++1

Also, the promotion is one of a natural processes both the Master and Padawan knows when it's the time. Padawan knows that there is only little to learn, Master knows there is only little to teach, and promotion comes naturally. :)

[member="Nima Tann"]

In the case of Siobhan, complimenting her looks, fashion sense, general incredibleness and so on helps as well. No, she is not massively vain at all.

And if it's a pretty Twi'lek, letting her stroke your lekku is a good way, too.

Nima Tann

Master of Her Own Destiny
[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Complimenting looks.... check!
Complimenting fashion sense.... check!
Complimenting general incredibleness.... check!
Letting her touch the lekku.... check!

Now where is my promotion? :p

[member="Nima Tann"]

I currently do not have a master, so I am not sure that that particular option would be suitable for me in the future. I appreciate the insight offered by you, however.

[member="Siobhan Kerrigan"]

Very, very, Insightful. I do appreciate the clear and in depth explanation given to your line of thinking in terms of promotion, and the same applies to you, [member=Coci Heavenshield], I really appreciate it. I know these are but a few opinions and ideas, but they've helped me to understand a little better as to what it takes to receive a promotion through the Silver Sanctum Coalition.

I also think, that when I am ready to ascend to Knighthood, I'd like to attempt the Jedi Trials.

[member="Hawk Solo"]

Well, it seems, as it is right now, I won't be having Coryn attempt the trials for quite some time. I've allowed him to succumb to the dark side to offer a sense of character progression (and a self plot that I have devised for him.). I think that it will do him quite the amount of good to experience both sides of the Force and allow him to see that even the strongest of Jedi are susceptible to its temptations and manipulations.

I can assure you, I will decline any offers of Knighthood until I return to the Silver Sanctum because I know that this is where I will want him to be in the end. And, if it's alright with the Faction Leaders - and members- I'd like to remain a 'side-lined' member of the Silver Sanctum Coalition.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"]

I'm really happy to hear that. I don't want to leave the faction. This is definitely where I'd like to achieve Knight and Master with him. I just want to satisfy some self plots that I've laid out for him before I progress too far into his Light Side journey.

[member="Coryn Raxis"]

* extends invitation to her Dark Jedi Order, totally not part of her plan to subvert the Silver Sanctum Coalition *

Err, right, moving on. Your char is fun and your posts well-written, looking forward to see where things go with Coryn. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom