Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Production Quantities

Look buddy, I'm an engineer...
So, if I'm interpreting this correctly, production values are more about who the product is available to more than it is the numbers that the product is available in.

Thus far, I've been submitting products for public sale under the mass production heading even though I roleplay a boutique weapons manufacturer that doesn't really have the capability of mass producing anything. Limited production would probably make sense for the character, but as I understand it this would limit who the product was available to, as in having to pick a single subfaction that the product is available to.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there a better way of handling production values?

Could do something akin to what I'm doing in Party Favors. Though much is inline with the actual sub value for PF currently, you can specify a smaller quantity available in your Marketplace entry if your sub is Closed-Market and Players have to request a purchase (vs. Open-Market).

The sub could say Mass Produced, but your Marketplace could say 5 Available. After 5 characters purchase one, the Quantity is Sold Out or Backordered. Then you can add more later. You're the ultimate arbiter of who gets it if the sub is Closed-Market and your company is the Affiliate.

It's entirely true that "mass production" is probably the easiest way to ensure that it goes out to the broadest category of people. While it's entirely possible to keep doing it the way you have been doing it, the "affiliation" is really the field that designates who an item goes to. The "another general organisation/group" listed in affiliation is probably what you're looking for.

General groups/organizations that might apply to some of your products could be things like "big game hunters" for your latest express rifle, for example (You're going to do a Howdah pistol next, right? :p). Another potential option might be something like "private individuals who purchase this weapon in my marketplace", and so forth.

The key with affiliations in their current format is that they're intended to keep small numbers of really powerful items from being spammed by large groups. If you can show the intent that it's not the case with a general affiliation like above, Factory Staff can generally help guide you if you do have an issue with this on a submission that is smaller than "mass produced".

Ezekiel Graenge Ezekiel Graenge

Look buddy, I'm an engineer...
Gotcha, all good suggestions. I'll keep all of that in mind and I appreciate the guidance, you definitely cleared things up for me. The biggest thought I was struggling with was basically the thought of "Hey, I'm making hand-crafted devices for private individuals on almost the smallest scale possible. The production scale is there to kind of assist power-scaling (the more rare something is, the more powerful it's allowed to be.) yet it doesn't seem like I can make use of smaller production scales and still provide to individuals regardless of affiliation."

It's also very tricky I realize, because if I were to produce something for the private individual to buy and it was allowed to be rated on a limited production scale, What is to stop a ton of people from flooding in to get their hands on the latest ThugBlaster9000(tm)? Or is that not a problem if it's restricted to PCs, because bulk orders to arm factions with them wouldn't be permissible?

I apologize for the continued questioning, I'd just like to explore the topic a little more just to feel out what's a good idea and what's not a good idea to push for here. For both myself and for fair play.

(Also on the Howdah pistol -- probably not, but I've been doodling a heavy blaster rifle based on a kitbashed Lahti-L39 that might eventually get finished. I've also been considering a survival pistol alternative to the Sidewinder for pilots that are more concerned with sustenance behind enemy lines, something that's weak but stupidly power efficient as an exact opposite to it. Just a ridiculous level of 'yeah, you can shoot almost forever with this, great for feeding yourself if you're stranded'. Like an AR-7 type deal.)

Ezekiel Graenge Ezekiel Graenge

I can see why you'd be a bit confused; what Gir said, but also this: There's no rule whatsoever against making, say, a Limited item "Open-Market". That's a-OK, in fact, I've done it several times, both with weapons and other technology.

Does that mean Production doesn't matter? Not exactly, take a look at the Combat Unit template over in Codex, for example - a Limited weapon would see smaller-scale use than its Minor counterparts, and only Mass-Produced submissions can be used for Mass/Common human waves.

You can also get creative with Affiliation/Market Status, if you like, e.g.,
  • Market Status: Closed Market
    • Should be considered Open-Market for PC use.
Edit: You don't necessarily need to manufacture the items yourself - Mass-Produced/Open-Market could mean that your character designed it but everyone and their mother can produce it because it's open-sourced or available in exchange for a licensing fee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom