Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pride, and the Appropriate (Loreena Arenais).

So much had happened lately and the House Arenais had suffered a pivotal blow during the Siege of Commenor, there where [member="Lady Kay"], Mother to Veiere's children and to this day his beloved Wife was being held in place under constant surveilance by The Sith Empire and the Dark Lord's chosen Council residing over the lone World. The Systems Alliance was no more, the deaths of eight million wiped out in a single strike had emphasized Commenor's surrender leaving only the chose to give in or see all others slaughtered for the sake of pride. Kay had of course done the right thing by her people and submitted to Carnifex and his Sith Horde. In doing so, igniting the flames of Rebellion in her husbands heart for what they had done to his people. Deep down, Commenor still belonged to he and his Wife.

[member="Loreena Arenais"] however would be his focus and distraction for the day, a much needed escape from the duties of a Commanding figure aboard such a vast ship as the Command Destroyer, the Resolute named after the Systems Alliance for all that they'd accomplished. Veiere had taken his daughter under his wing, to begin training her in the force and ways of the Jedi as he had been taught and as he had taught Romi Jade long ago. Unfortunately, with the war that had begun for their family, he had been stretched thin and not had the time to dedicate solely to his girl. Something that he was intent on making up for today.

"Loreena Arenais, your presence is required on the Observation Deck" the words of Admiral Ansion opened up over the vessels Comm-Systems that the young Princess of Commenor would hear the summons. The Overservation Deck itself was a sole floor at the head of the Star Destroyer overlooking the Bow of the great vessel. It was free of all command and authoritarian figures save for Veiere himself that the two of them might be able to speak freely and without the prying eyes and ears of their subordinates.

Lori was in the mess hall, doing what everyone in the mess hall would be doing. She was stuffing her face. Now that she was finally calming down and taking in everything that had happened, her tummy reminded her how empty it was. Maybe it was stress or emotional fatigue that caused her to lose her appetite earlier, but now it was back ten fold. And what was she eating? Junk food of course! Crisps and cakes, a mixture of salty and sweet goodness that satisfied her taste buds for the moment. To wash it all down, she had a bottle of soda.

No one else sat at her table. Most had already eaten and left. A few stragglers were there however, and all of them looked up from their food as Anison's voice came over the comms.

"Uh oh..." Lori took another big gulp of her soda and then got to her feet, moving to the mess hall door with haste. It took her a moment to remember which way to go, given that the Resolute was so large. But with the help of a few crew, she was guided in the right direction. As she jogged to the lift, a burp came up, the bubbles tickling her nose. Not very Princess-like, but she was Lori! Acting like a Princess wasn't really her thing right now.

And besides, they were at war.

Minutes later she enteted the observation deck, spotting [member="Veiere Arenais"] right away. He was the only one there, save herself. She put on a smile and tried to present herself as cheerful, despite the doom and gloom that hung around everyone, given what had happened to Commenor. "You sent for me, Dad?" Lori approached him and wrapped her arms around him in a brief hug. It was hard to know how to behave sometimes, given that everything was so tense. But she was trying her best to stay out of trouble.

Veiere smiled as his daughter came into the room, wrapping his arms around her as she closed in to hug him and with a gentle voice he responded quietly, "Indeed I did..." a slight tone of amusement in his voice for the way that she spoke for him. Being sent for as if they were military and she were under his orders to obey; aside from being her father, there were no such restrictions between them, naturally. "I'm sorry we haven't had a lot of time to spend together lately, Lori. As you know, I've been forced to organize some kind of response to what's become of our home and your Mother...".

Members of several Rebel groups had joined with them since the call to arms that Veiere had sent out and the Resolute was now flanked by allied ships. Several Dreadnaught-class MKII Heavy Cruiser's as well as Argonaut-class Carrier's had been the first among them to arrive from pockets of the former Systems Alliance's worlds. Advantages of having friends from all different walks of life, whether or not they had been there during the devastation of Commenor.

"I wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about you or your Brother, however" He smiled, letting her go from the embrace and moving to guide her towards the great transparisteel viewport that overlooked the growing Fleet around the Commenor Flagship, "The CSA Resolute". "You've no doubt heard some things lately that might seem frightening. Things that I've said to our friends and Allies that preferably, I'd have not wished you to have to bare witness to..." none of what was going on for their family was fair, especially for the Children. Veiere hated that they were involved now, where previous times his involvement in conflict was often away from their home-world where the Twins were safe with their Mother and older Brother, [member="Bradshaw Ku"].

"How're you feeling, Lori...-About all of this? I can't imagine you're not without questions...".

[member="Loreena Arenais"]

Lori's smile faded a little as [member="Veiere Arenais"] began to speak. There was no reason for him to be sorry. She wasn't a fool. She knew that the attack and capture of her Mom was far more important than giving her lessons. They barely made it out with their lives as it was.
"I know that you haven't forgotten about us..."

She walked over to the viewport along with him and stared out of it. Her eyes followed the movements of the other vessels around them. It was peaceful up in space, but she knew that that was just an illusion. They were safe yes, but that wouldn't be for long. And she knew that.

Lori glanced sideways over to her Dad while he spoke of him saying things that he didn't want her to hear. And it was true! Some of what he said had shocked her. But she wasn't quite certain of how much truth there was to what he was saying.

"It's a lot to take in, Dad. Munto City...I felt...I think that I felt them all die...Even while I was underground. How could they just...do that? And when you said that you were going after the Zambrano family, did you mean the younglings too?" She now knew what it was like to be hunted and betrayed because of the family she belonged to. Would others have to go through the same thing?

The concept of war had never been something that Veiere Arenais had ever wished to discuss with his Children, though they had already been thrust into the prospect of violence through the training of the Mandalorian Empire and the Je'daii Order, Veiere still thought of them as so young and innocent; the Children that he knew and loved before he had parted from his family at his darkest of days. "Those that can be saved, will be. I have no desire to bring any harm to those that don't deserve it Lori" he spoke quietly. Veiere wasn't a youngling killer, such atrocities were beyond even his actions taken against the Jedi of the Deneba Enclave despite his wish back then to see it all brought to ruin; memories that still scarred him on the inside.

"Darth Prazutis is the man who first kidnapped and corrupted your Mom once, long ago before you and your Brother were born. He trained her to be Sith, where I managed to reach her and over time regain her trust, rebuild her faith in herself and the Lightside of the Force. That man is the Uncle of Kaine Zambrano, the Emperor and Dark Lord of the Sith known as Darth Carnifex..." Veiere explained that which he considered to be his two priority targets. The Emperor would no doubt be the most difficult to reach surrounded by his monstrous fleet and legions that filled it. Prazutis on the other hand was quite likely to be found wherever [member="Lady Kay"] was being held, no doubt awaiting Veiere for whom the two had battled over the damage the Sith Lord had already inflicted upon his family before the blockade of the Systems Alliance.

"It's the adults that I'm interested in. Men and Women that have the choice to do good with the power that they wield, yet choose to instead maim and kill those who are too weak to stand against them. For so long I've tried to avoid being swallowed by this War, that I could instead focus on doing the best I can, alongside your Mother to protect people rather than taking an aggressive front...-But now we don't seem to have much choice. If these Sith are not stopped, then other families will go through what we have seen and worse, some might not be so lucky to escape. Those that don't have the credits to run such a fleet like ours, or even afford a ticket off-world during such an attack..." Commenor wasn't the first world to fall to the Sith Empire, nor would it be the last. Millions of people had been affected by their reign and the longer they were allowed to move uncontested, the more damage they would do and the more Children like [member="Loreena Arenais"] and her brother, would suffer the consequences and fallout of a war they had no part in.

Lori found herself breathing a small sigh of relief. Phew! So [member="Veiere Arenais"] wasn't going to go on some blind rampage against the Sith, which was great! She didn't want to lose him again like they did after Deneba.

She chewed on her fingernails while her Dad spoke of what had happened to her Mom in the past and the names of those responsible. Details of the event were never really ever given out. Cae and Lori figured that it was just too painful. But still, she knew that she was going to learn more about it, especially given the recent turn of events.

"I barely got away, Dad. At first it seemed fine, but then my commlink was hacked by someone that I thought was a friend. He told me to surrender to their forces when they try to capture me so that I wouldn't get hurt. But I couldn't. We went to the Twin Canyons and if it wasn't due to a rock slide, then I'd probably be locked up somewhere like Mom. And luckily we ran into a cloaked ship that helped us escape. It was scary and I didn't really know what to do but run. Are we always going to be running now? Will we ever get to go back home?"

"Twin Canyons...-That place is going to be the end of me" Veiere spoke under his breath, though it was as sarcastic as it was pessimistic for the history that lay over the place, "It seems you have the same sense of direction as your Mother does. Hopefully you don't get into trouble so easily..-Then again, look who I'm talking to" He chuckled softly to himself, glancing down to place a hand upon [member="Loreena Arenais"] shoulder as they both gaze out over the moving fleet and the blanketed abyss of Stars.

As for how long they would be on the run for, that wasn't something Veiere knew with any true certainty. That wasn't however to say there weren't options to make this time pass a little easier. "You and your Brother don't have to remain here with me if you do not wish to. Caedyn has friends with the Jedi that he will eventually want to find his way back to no doubt. You yourself must have made friends out there too, with the Mandalorians after all, not that I'm overly comfortable with the thought...", out of all of them however Lori had been taken in by the Mandalorian Empire and was quite possibly the closest of them all to being considered to be one of their people. Even Kay herself hadn't spent so much time with them in such frequency.

"As for my plans...-I hope to see us all return to Commenor one day" he explained, his voice still quiet and thoughtful. "The problem there is that even were we to secure Commenor for our Family, things will never truly be the same. The Sith know the Planet and our attachment to it, they would have an easier time returning and knowing what to expect from us. Going back there doesn't give us any assurances of protection as long as the Sith Empire is willing and able to bring conflict to our sector...".

Lori placed her hand on top of his, her eyes still watching the various ships nearby. She hoped that none were their enemies, hiding in plain sight.

"The Twin Canyons are a maze, Dad. I thought that I could lose them there, and I did! Staying in the bunkers would have only had me trapped." And then she really would have been like her mom; caught and in trouble.

"I'm not going to leave you, Dad. I still have lots of training to do. And besides..." She looked up to [member="Veiere Arenais"] and gave him a mischievious smile. "...someone's gotta keep you on the straight and narrow." Yes, Lori made a few friends among the Mandalorian Empire, but she had made friends outside of it too. She even had met [member="Ultimatum"] whom she discovered later was a friend of her mom's!

Lori chewed the inside of her cheek as her Dad told her about Commenor and what life could possibly be like whwn they got back. "So...are you saying that the Sith could do this to us over and over again? That's not very fair....Where will we go then?" She wasn't going to offer Mandalorian space. It wasn't hers to offer anyways. And her Dad wasn't very trusting of it either.

"Once we retake Commenor, you and your Brother will be reunited with your Mom" Veiere informed [member="Loreena Arenais"], having considered this himself; "There you can all go back to your lives and focus on trying to help our people rebuild the damage the Sith Empire has done to our World. I however intend to carry on fighting alongside whomever will take up arms beside me against their tyrannical reign...-The Sith need to be pushed back least they continue to take our World's alongside those of other good people", he looked forward to the day that the Children could return to the former state of their lives. Whether he would ever feel the same sense of comfort and confidence on Commenor again however was another story. It was much the same as trying to live in a house which had been broken into, paranoia and fear of it happening again forever staining and diminishing what sense of security there might have been before the attack.

"Fortunately, training can continue even across great distances thanks to technology" Veiere offered a faint smile in reassurance and a bid to encourage his daughter to not feel so disheartened. "There are many experiences that you can learn from without the need for my being there. Day to day challenges like caring for our people and trying to help Commenor rebuild will no doubt help to build upon your compassion and care for others. Something too few in our Galaxy seem to hold in character nowadays".

"Besides, you like to travel...-To explore don't you" He soon grinned a little to his daughter, having heard enough to justify the question. His expression soon falling solemn once more as the statement progressed, "Perhaps I could give you something of an assignment to do...-There are some people I don't entirely trust and you happen to be rather close to them I believe. It would be good if we could ascertain the intentions of the Mandalorian Empire...".

"But...but Dad..." Lori grumbled at the fact that her and Cae would be kept at home while [member="Veiere Arenais"] went off to fight. It wasn't fair that she had to be kept behind! Sure she understood at least part of his reasoning; and that being that her Mom would need the help and the support of her family. But still! Her Dad was her Master now. She wanted him to take her on so that they could be together. And now he was planning to run off and play hero, while she was left to stay at home.

Cae was a stubborn boy himself, and with him being with the Jedi, he'd most likely leave home to go off with them. So that would leave her alone with her Mom. Lori loved her Mom, of course, but she found politics to be boring and just full of meetings and paperwork. Who'd want to do that for a living?

Lori folded her arms across her chest as her Dad told her about what a 'great learning experience' it was for her to stay home, care for people and build compassion. As far as she was concerned, she was totally compassionate! Next thing you knew, he'd be havong her sweep the floors and paint the fences. It was much like what Jaster would make her do, serve people drinks and such at parties instead of trying to find people her own age there to hang out with.

Perhaps Veiere sensed her unhappiness, for he mentioned travel and giving her an assignment to do. "An assignment? You want me to go and find out where the Mandos stand? Do you want me to talk to my cousin?" And of course she meant [member="Yasha Mantis"] . Though the two had been to the same weddings and celebrations, they had never really talked before. "I could do that. I'm sure that Kaine would take me. He's letting me use his forge to build my own set of armour.
I wanted to use ours, but...well it's unsafe right now."
She imagined Sith Empire soldiers crawling all over the place like insects.

It wasn't a pretty image.

"Relax Lori, I've not changed my mind about training you. If you do not wish to stay on Commenor for a while with your Mother, you do not have to. You're old enough to be taking responsibility for your own decisions now" Veiere lifted a hand as she sought to complain and argue his suggestion. The fact of the matter was that the children's mother would no doubt be worrying tirelessly for their safety and questioning Veiere's ability following his fall from grace. [member="Lady Kay"] might well have been pulling her hair out, trying to decide whether or not the twins were better up there in space with Veiere, or otherwise under Sith occupation, yet too alongside her back on their home-world.

"Yes, I do..." Veiere confirmed her question with regards to the Mandalorian Empire, "I'm going to need to speak with them myself sooner or later, but your relationship with the Mandalorian's might offer insight as to how supportive they're going to be with regards to retaking Commenor from the Sith. I'm aware they've got ties with the Sith Empire, specifically Kaine Zambrano himself....-If and when I do contact them, I'd prefer to know where we stand before walking into a potential political disaster". [member="Loreena Arenais"] hadn't yet had to learn just how quickly friendships could change when political ambitions were threatened or otherwise put on the line. So easily could personal relationships be cut for the sake of people's loyalty to their own and the Mandalorians were well known beyond most peoples for their loyalty and sense of duty to their Kin. Both Lori and her Mother however, were supposedly Kin to their kind.

"For the sake of transparency, you should be open about it too, if you feel the need to explain yourself to them" He reached out to place a hand to the girls shoulder offering her a gentle squeeze, smiling faintly in the hope of giving her confidence, atleast in the fact that he didn't wish to put her in a position that might compromise her integrity. "It won't hurt for them to be aware of my reluctance to trust them".

Lori nodded a little, dropping her arms to her sides and relaxing a bit as [member="Veiere Arenais"] had told her to. This whole occupation thing made an already confusing and complex time in her life be even more complex and confusing. Did she really need that? Did either of them?

She stood a little taller as she was informed that her Dad was sending her on a HUGE assignment. Not only was she to talk to the Mandalorians to find out who's side that they were on in regards to the occupation. But she was to go to talk to [member="Yasha Mantis"] herself!! By herself!! Already it was clear where [member="Kaine Australis"] stood ashe was here at the earlier meeting. But as Kaine pointed out, he wasn't there to represent all Mandalorians. He only represented himself.

Lori looked up to her Dad and grinned. "You can count on me Dad. I'll make you proud and I won't mess up. Promise!" Well she'd try not to, at least. Besides, she was cute, adorable and FUN! Yasha was bound to go easy on her if she said the wrong thing. Right?

Oh yes. This would work. And she'd get that information that her Dad needs.

"When should I leave?
I could maybe hitch a ride with Kaine, if he hasn't left yet."

"If you think you can catch up with [member="Kaine Australis"] before he departs then feel free to try, providing you've got everything you might need for the assignment" Veiere smiled in response to [member="Loreena Arenais"]' enthusiasm, she seemingly confident with the instructions that he had given to his Daughter. In the old days of the Jedi Order, he had sent Padawan out on assignments much like this, only back then they'd trained all their lives to the age that Lori was now where as she had grown both on experience and the teachings of the Mandalorian Culture itself, hence Veiere's belief that she stood a much better chance at gauging the Mandalore, [member="Yasha Mantis"]' allegiance without insulting the young woman whom called his Wife, 'Aunt'.

Perhaps [member="Lady Kay"] Arenais would have disapproved and locked her in one of the bulkheads, but Veiere had the advantage that was the loss of time; it had allowed him to see Loreena as the young girl that she had once been, and too now as the young woman she was growing into. Sure, she was still a ratbag but she was his ratbag and the girl had come a long way since the days of hiding in Caedyn's suitcase. No longer did she live in anyone's shadow but she had stepped out into the light to cast her own influence upon others of many cultures. There weren't often times where Veiere had the chance to reflect upon the pride he held for his Children, yet looking back at his Daughter, this was certainly one of those moments.

"Just remember to look after yourself!" Veiere added quickly, seeking to remind her of the responsibility of such an errand; "Your Mother would kill me if she knew I was giving you such an important task, least of all not coming along to keep an eye on you. Do please try not to get into any trouble, my Girl".

Oh right! She needed to pack. However most of her stuff was at home on Commenor. All that she could escape with was what was on her back. But there were some jumpsuits and such available here in her quarters. Would she have to go shopping first? Everytime Lori saw [member="Yasha Mantis"] she was outfitted in a dress. Hmm. But that was for weddings. This would be totally different!

Lori broke from her thoughts when [member="Veiere Arenais"] spoke to her again, giving her reminders and the fair warning of not getting into trouble. "Thanks Dad. And I always look after myself! And what Mom doesn't know won't hurt her. Besides, she might even like the idea! I betcha Cae goes through more dangerous missions than this! I'm just gonna have a chit chat, while he probably goes off to fight!" The lucky bugger! Lori always thought it'd be the other way around...

She gave her Dad a big, big hug. "Love you, Dad. Try to stay out of trouble too!" She grinned up at him before stepping away. It made her a little sad to have to be off on her own again. But life was never constant. She had to enjoy whatever time with them that she had. You never knew when some Sith or Imperials would come by to ruin everything!

Lori then gave him a mock salute and turned on her heels, breaking into a run to her quarters. Whether or not [member="Kaine Australis"] had already left, she wasn't sure. But she was going to find out!

Veiere watched as [member="Loreena Arenais"] departed, her words bringing about a smile to his lips, however fading as her presence did the deeper she sought to move into the Resolute and leaving her Father feeling ever the old man. Times were changing and it was now the era of a new generation, those of whom would eventually overcome their parents shortcomings and faults, failures and perhaps even realize their dreams. Only the Force was to know what fate lay in story for Caedyn and Lori, though looking back in reflection, Veiere hoped they would avoid the mistakes of his past whilst trying to protect themselves from the threats of the future and their own ambitions.

Turning back to gaze out of the transparisteel view-port, his eyes swept the mass bulk of the Resolute's forward hull. This vessel reminded him a great deal of the Chimaera that had formerly been under the command of Cyril Grayson. Veiere often wondered what his long dead brother would have made out of the changes the old man had been through, what lectures of 'greater good' he might receive where the former Sith Lord better known as @Darth Mephirium were to stand at his side and share his perspective on the Galaxy today. What would he say about [member="Cedric Grayson"] and Veiere's failure to live up to such old promises.

As for the Mandalorian Empire, Veiere wanted to trust in the 'familial' ties that [member="Lady Kay"] supposedly shared with [member="Yasha Mantis"], yet in today's Galaxy he understood that the price for maintaining power often meant denouncing all that was held dear. If they were to side with the House Arenais, the Sith Empire would no doubt seek to break their hold upon the Mandalorian World's, providing they were discovered. For some reason unknown to Veiere, the words of [member="Kaine Australis"] had been taken in with less doubt than they'd been received by others, though he hardly knew the man, perhaps it was instinct or something more that left him wanting to trust in the self-proclaimed battle-master of their culture.

In the end, time would surely tell yet for now, as an act of faith, he had sent his Daughter to meet with them. His own flesh and blood. Her experience was greater than his but hopefully their great Mandalore would see the action for more than simply a reunion with her estranged cousin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom