Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Praesidio-class Imperial Planetary Shield Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Caalgen

T
osn8yEe.png

506suw2.png

• Intent: To create the definitive shield gate station, since others want to throw hands with theirs.
  • Image Source: Here
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source:
    Shield Gate

bsy7dd5.png

• Manufacturer: The Galactic Empire, Advanced Weapons Research Division
  • Model: Praesidio- class | Shield Gate MKII
  • Affiliation: The Galactic Empire
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:
    Quadanium-lined Durasteel Hull
  • Titanium-reinforced Alusteel Frame
  • Transparisteel Viewports
  • Turadium Blast Doors/Shutters

VB38y5d.png

• Classification: Orbital Shield Station
  • Length: 4,000 meters
  • Width: 4,000 meters
  • Height: 4,000 meters
  • Armament: Low
    x20 Long-Range Heavy Quad Turbolaser/Ion Cannon Hybrid Batteries (Each battery has 2 turbolasers and 2 ion cannons each)
    12 outer ring
  • 8 inner ring

[*]x12 Assault Concussion Missile Launchers
  • 8 outer ring
  • 4 inner ring

[*]x200 Quad Laser Cannons
  • 120 outer ring
  • 80 inner ring

[*]x100 Flak Guns
  • 80 outer ring
  • 20 inner ring

[*]Defenses: Extreme
  • Reinforced Hull
  • Advanced Battlestation Deflector Shields
  • Advanced Planetary Deflector Shield
  • E-WAR

[*]Hangar: Extreme

[*]Various Non-Combat Starships

[*]Maneuverability Rating: Very Low
[*]Speed Rating: Very Low
[*]Hyperdrive Class: 4.0 | Back-up 10.0
GznZzeC.png

• Battlestation Ion Drives
  • Battlestation Hazard and Damage Control Systems
  • Battlestation Life Support Systems
  • Battlestation Navigational Systems
  • Battlestation Sensors and Targeting Systems
  • Battlestation Communications Systems
  • Battlestation Environmental Control Systems
  • Battlestation Tractor Beams
  • Battlestation Escape Pods
  • Holonet Transceiver and Encryption/Decryption Networks
OqoYf0X.png

• Extreme Shielding - The station itself is protected by shielding on par with that of the Empire's flagship, the INV Pellaeon. This means that usually, against most conventional fleets, it is resistant to turbolasers, ion cannons, and projectile weapons.
  • Planetary Defense - Along with its own shield, the shield gate projects a massive planetary deflector shield that can usually withstand most bombardments from orbiting fleets. But this does mean that if the station were to fall, the planetary shield will fall as well.
  • Fighter Complement - More than two hundred fighters are present in massive hangars on the space station, capable of swarming an unprepared enemy and possibly distract fire from the station itself.
pjGtWYa.png

• Low Mobility - The station's drives are slow and only serve to maneuver it into geosynchronous orbit around a celestial body. In the midst of battle, the station will be unable to escape into hyperspace due to the amount of time it would take to deactivate the planetary shield and escape the gravity well.
  • Light Armament - For a military space station, the shield gate is only lightly armed but still carries an impressive array of turbolaser and projectile weaponry, though it is quickly outclassed by certain star destroyers, battlecruisers and above.
  • Costly - The sheer amount of credits it costs to carefully craft one of these stations would be a great hit against the Imperial economy should they fall in the middle of battle. This is why the station type is classified as 'semi-unique'.
xQNBvuk.png

After the then-Imperial Remnant conquered the oceanic world of Kamino and declared it the Imperial throneworld, a massive shield gate was constructed to protect it from interlopers who wished to harass the Remnant or steal the secrets of its clone armies. Another shield gate was constructed when Scarif was re-discovered by the newly-reformed Galactic Empire, in line with Scarif's role as a secret Imperial research site.

Now, with the end of the Dominion War and the beginning of the Imperial-Jedi Conflict in the Outer Rim; The Empire realized that the shield gates over Kamino and Scarif were horrendously outdated, the designs going back to the Rebellion-era. Therefore, the Advanced Weapons Research Division was put to the task of designing an effective new battlestation to defend vital Imperial worlds and out-do the inferior models that were constructed by their enemies.

A rare sight, the shield gate station features an impressive amount of generators which, when activated, project a massive planetary deflector shield that can likely withstand the firepower of a regular Imperial fleet. It also has a light, but still decent none-the-less, array of weaponry capable of trading fire with cruisers and perhaps star destroyers, but is quickly outclassed by heavier destroyers and their battlecruiser brethren.

A large amount of over two hundred fighters are featured in large hangar bays embedded in the station, enough to combat an enemy force should they lack the proper defense against snubfighters. Over-all, the shield station is a glorious addition to the arsenal of the Imperial Navy, and provides all the defense that a civilian populace needs from the tyranny of the Silver Jedi Order.

[member="Travis Caalgen"]

This submission is nice, though I am concerned about the ramifications of having a planetary shield that is more or less impervious to just about everything short of suicidal ramming of a destroyer into it. Is there a more feasible manner in which to perhaps balance this? Granted I am a huge fan of the Scarif battle in Rogue One, but the weaknesses don't feel like they do enough to balance this.

Travis Caalgen

T
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Well, it isn't the planetary shield itself that has this amount of strength, it's just the station that's projecting the shield that has it. Perhaps I should put in some sort of mention about this? I don't exactly want to lower the defense rating or others for that manner, but if you think that can be the only way for it to balance: I'll do it.

I don't think it's the ratings that I'm really concerned with. It's more the impression of the space station being seemingly invulnerable short of a massive 3,000 kilometer destroyer flying straight into it. What you're saying makes sense, but the station itself is also protected by the impression of an incredibly strong shield. The one in Rogue One did not have a shield generator that also protected the station if I am not mistaken, only the planet itself.

If you can subside my reservations about the station being more or less impenetrable short of said 3k destroyer collision I will stamp this.

Travis Caalgen

T
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Well the thing is is that that's pure fluff, it's just a small footnote because that's what happened in Rogue One. As a matter of fact, I didn't even imply, at least I don't think I did, that this station is invulnerable to anything but an SD. I stated that it's resistant to conventional weapons, which just means that it'll most likely take a fleet longer to kill it, not that a fleet can't.

So I apologize if the submission gave off that vibe, and have removed some of the offending statements.

No worries. I like this submission a lot, but I just didn't want it to give off an impression of being some kind of ultra-shield that requires death star levels of power to affect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom