Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Practice Makes Perfect... Right?

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
She had been at it all day.
At least, it certainly felt like that.
Two training remotes stalked the outermost edges of the dojo, and Raya, eyes closed, was deflecting their inconsistent bolts.
A thin sheen of sweat had formed upon her brow. She paid it no attention, did not break form or focus, she existed within the Force and there nothing else mattered. Each time a bolt was loosed her body shifted, though each motion was precise and drew more upon the lessons taught to her by Dagon Kaze Dagon Kaze during her initial journey to Coruscant than the form she was actually practicing. Shii-Cho was a means to an end, something she needed to learn in order to make the various instructors happy. But it was Soresu that she sought to embrace in totality.
As such, as each bolt neared her it was with the smallest of movements that she sent it hurtling back from her. Conserving her energy. That was how it was supposed to be, right?
Truth be told, it was hard to recall. It had been quite some time since that impromptu training session, and Force knew nobody had seen fit to teach her more of it since then. Why would they? She failed at the most simplest of Forms.
But not today. Though no one else would bear witness to it, today she was intent upon figuring it out. On letting go, and letting the Force guide her, be her eyes, her instincts. A dismembered droid near the center of the room bore evidence to her progress with the zones, and in truth many of the Marks of Contact. It was similar in style to the one she had seen Cotan Sar'andor Cotan Sar'andor using one day in the Council Chambers, it did not seem to notice its lack of limbs, did not respond to continual bombardment.
That did not stop her from feeling guilty whenever she looked at it.
Perhaps that was a larger reason for the closed eyes...
Either way she retained her focus now. It was late, it had to have been late given that she had arrived at the training room in the evening. Some might have argued too late. But if she wanted to do this without distraction, without judgement, then when better to do so than the later hours? Most would be in bed.
But not Auraya.
Not tonight.

Gregor Strum

G
It was the only noise around that he could find this late at night, and he was lost. He'd arrived this morning with Nova, but his place wasn't with the children and through some manner of confusion they seemed to just believe him to be seeing his child off not entering himself. Still he enjoyed the moment of silence as he walked down mostly empty halls. Walking past one though he couldn't help but be curious at the blaster sounds inside, and the electronic buzz that everyone connected to the Jedi lightsaber.

Entering one of the training rooms he assumed he found just a single girl whirling around her lightsaber as droids shot at her. Deflecting shot after shot he couldn't help but be a bit amazed at the skill at hand of the woman. He never considered for a moment that one of those bolts could turn on him as he imagined the Jedi knew what she was doing completely. So it was quite the shock when he got hit with a rather painful bolt, but not nearly as bad as him yelling out in pain and surprise.

With a rather red face he gave a small bow of respect to the Jedi. "Forgive me, Jedi, I was just a bit lost and wandered in after the sound. I didn't mean to disturb your practice, but if you could be so kind as to point me out to where I can find some food and rest I would greatly appreciate ."

Auraya Irath-Ur

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
When a bolt went whizzing past her head, Raya could not help but falter.
That was... odd. They had yet to aim anywhere save directly at her, admittedly different parts of her but enough that she had a way - nay, a need - to deflect it. But this was different. This wasn't even something she had to defend against.
A yell at her back made quick sense of it. She turned, eyes opening immediately as she regarded the stranger. In turn she was quickly rewarded with a couple of blaster bolts to her back, admittedly weaker than they would have been out in the wild but sore-inducing all the same.
She waved a hand, and both remotes deactivated and lowered to the ground. One hand moved back to rub at the sore spots, she'd have to bring out the salve again. It had become something akin to a best friend as of late.
As the man spoke she lowered herself into a bow of respect, and forced a tired smile to her lips. It wasn't disingenuous, there was sincerity behind it, but it took more effort to display than it had weeks prior. Most things like it did.
"Are you okay?" she inquired, "I have some salve that might help the burn, you're welcome to it."
Reaching up she wiped her brow on the ends of her sleeve and finally allowed the fatigue to wash over her. Was it enough that she might sleep? Well, Raya did not know for sure. But it was a start.
"Ah, you're new?" To the Temple, she wondered, or the Jedi... The way he had referred to her as a Jedi made her suspect the latter. It was quite heartwarming to see a grown man dipping his toes into the Order for the first time. Typically it was only younger individuals who pursued it, less entanglements to leave behind, a greater capacity to learn. It was not unheard of though. He wouldn't stick out too much, she reckoned.
"Of course, I'd be happy to help. If you'd like I can take you down to the mess hall?" Her face pulled slightly at that, she wasn't exactly fond of the food they served most days, processed so that it could last for lengthier amounts of time, but food was food and she didn't exactly have money to spare to make her own. "They didn't assign you a dorm yet?"
That... that was odd. Had someone brought him here and then left him to fend for himself? She frowned. There had to be a room with his name on it, they simply had to find it in the system. Yeah, all that she needed was his name.
"I'm Auraya," she said, as she gathered up her belongings, returned her socks and shoes to her feet and the like, and then approached him, "What's your name, friend?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregor Strum

G
He chuckled for a moment at her questions, not because she was wrong but because he'd created them. Shaking his head he gave a bit of a sigh as he answered. "No I think I'm the architect of my own sorrows here to be honest. I needed a moment after I brought my daughter down to myself, a bit of me time if you will. Food would be fantastic though, thank you. As to a dorm I would likely I'm guessing have one I just don't know where to find it all out."

Scratching his beard he looked around the room as she gathered her thing, and felt foolish as she asked his name. "Forgive me," he said as he offered a hand out, "my name is Gregor Strum. The poor folks earlier just thought I was a parent I think seeing my child off to her training. I suppose I am, but I guess now I'm a student too. It's been awhile since my last schooling, but I suppose better late then never, no?"

Giving a broad smile he felt a bit out of place here with so many young people learning, even the Jedi seemed young. Ah well, that wasn't his end purpose, and he wasn't even sure if he had the talent to go all the way. He'd try though, and if he could he'd excel because it wasn't in him to give a half effort. "I appreciate the aid, Jedi Auraya, sorry I'm not sure what you call a Jedi here? Are you a Master? My apologies this is all very new, and if I'm going to be completely honest a little overwhelming. I wasn't exactly expecting to restart my life at my age."

Auraya Irath-Ur

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
Belongings acquired, Raya led the man out into the hall beyond after glancing over the room and assuring it hadn't been left a mess. A quick wave of her hand had the droids returned to the side, out of the central space, and then she nodded her head. Satisfied. The thoughts which had kept her locked in such a state of perpetual motion had softened now, with a new purpose to focus upon they held no sway over her.
She shook his hand as it was offered, and set his name to memory with a smile. "Nice to meet you, Gregor. Don't worry we'll get it all squared away soon enough. I'm sure they didn't mean to mistake you for such... Sometimes communication can run a little slow if there's a lot of intake."
Hadn't she experienced the same with Zaavik? Though she suspected the reason for her missing file had been different. To keep him from turning her away. No, no more dwelling on that.
"Just Auraya is fine. Or Raya. I'm only a Padawan..."
Down the hall they wandered, she figured she'd get him set up with something to eat and comb the database for his dorm number after the fact. That way he wasn't left hungry. Two birds, one stone.
Force, she hated that idiom.
"Your girl's a youngling then? She'll pick it up in no time, I'm sure. The little one's minds are like sponges, I swear... If sponges weren't so forthcoming with relinquishing what they absorbed, that is..."
Her smile turned sheepish as she realized she was probably talking too much. Last thing she needed was to overwhelm the poor man.

Gregor Strum

G
Nodding as she gave him her name it made him actually feel slightly better in truth. Certainly he was older then her, but perhaps he wouldn't be so abnormal as he thought. "Raya, yes I'll remember that. Thank you for your kindness, please lead the way."

Following her down the halls he did his best to keep track of where he was going, but his eyes were continually drawn by the architecture. It was incredibly roomy and open for a planet as packed as Coruscant. Then again he didn't have even an inkling of an idea as to the number of Jedi even here. Perhaps at full light with all the classes going on these halls were bustling and fit to burst. Of course it could just be that this was the Jedi's retreat, their safe place in a galaxy in desperate need of peace.

Gregor smiled broadly as Raya asked about his daughter. He was so proud of her already, she'd been so brave, and already had met some of the children her age too. "Oh yes, she'll excel I'm sure, and she will be happy which is as much as any parent can ask for their child. I'm sure your parents are very proud of you as well. Are you allowed to write or talk to them at all?"

Auraya Irath-Ur

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
The Temple was a vast place, but there were plenty of different mess halls within that one could spend time within and refresh, eat, chatter... As she rounded the corner toward one such place, she pondered on what he said.
"It's no bother, really. Truth be told, you're helping me too. My mind thanks you for the respite you're providing."
Vague, she knew, but she definitely owed him thanks so she'd be wrong to not say as much. It was his next words that truly gave her pause, in fact for a moment her pace slowed and her breathing hitched in her throat. Just a moment. She returned to normal soon after.
"I never knew my parents," she said, as they approached the doorway to the mess hall. "They gave me to the Jedi as soon as they could. I don't even know their names."
There was a certain amount of apathy to her tone as she spoke on such, but beneath that a small amount of sorrow broke through too.
"I am glad that you and your daughter are here together. Many would reject such bonds as a Jedi, but I think they can be important. Knowing who one is, where we've come from... That we're loved. Yes... Your girl will excel with such a strong support network in you."

Gregor Strum

G
He didn't understand the comment but he let it pass, after all he was in a new place with new rules. Who knew what he could be helping her with. He noticed the pace almost immediately and simply figured they were close to where they were supposed to be. The note in her voice was unmistakable though as she spoke and his heart felt a pang of sadness for her.

Putting a hand on her shoulder he gave her the slightest of squeezes. "Well I know if I was the father of such a kind woman, I'd be proud of her."

He left it at that knowing that nothing he said could dim the pain of it all for her. He'd known many orphans growing up on Corellia between the endless wars, crime and even the damage done to the planet itself it was unavoidable these days. There was nothing anyone could do to erase that pain inside, that feeling of longing to belong. All you could do is be there for a person until they realized they did belong, and someday she'd find her own real family too. Still it hurt today.

Changing the subject he nodded towards a droid with a serving dish moving past them.
"We built those back home you know? Good droid with solid manufacturing. It wasn't my department, but there is something about noncom droids that I find appealing."

Auraya Irath-Ur

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
"Thanks," she said, sincerity and thoughtfulness lingering upon her tone as she listened to what he'd said and took it onboard. It was weird to be receiving such praise, especially from a total stranger, Raya was used to being the disappointment in life, the one who failed, but kept trying regardless. Who was never quite up to standard.
Did that that matter?
Could she be worthy simply for being kind?
She chewed on her inner lip as she contemplated such, as they came into the mess hall, and when he changed the subject she allowed herself to flow with it. She glanced at the droid in question, and then turned to beam at him.
"You're an engineer?" she asked, eyes aglow, not once hinting at the fact that such a career was at its end. After all, why did it have to be? Plenty of Jedi liked to mess around with things like that, having someone who knew what they were doing could only ever be a boon!
"Okay, so there's hot food over there..." she gestured to the back wall, where some servo droids could be found. All day, every day, they worked. In shifts, of course, maintenance was a necessity, but still. "There's some cold things next to it, too. Sandwiches, salads, that sort of thing. And you can get drinks over there..." The next gesture was over to the right. A few different refrigeration units held various cold options, then there was a caf' station too. Though it had more than just that one hot drink on offer.
"You good? I'll go find out your dorm number if so, and be back real fast..."

Gregor Strum

G
He laughed at the question then nodded slowly, "I suppose I am, or was? Do Jedi often have need of such skills? I had imagined there were dozens of my kind working for the Order itself handling all those sorts of things." So much he was going to have to learn, or at the very least unlearn some preconceived notions he'd had before.

Smiling as she gave directions once they were in the mess hall he looked over the spread without much surprise. He'd expected as much from a place like Coruscant, the local time be damned the planet was always alive. "Thank you so much, and yes I'll be fine. You've been amazingly helpful now to find me some dinner!"

Taking odds and ends before sitting down he gave a long sigh as he for not the first time today asked himself what he was doing here. Taking a slow sip of caf he chewed slowly on his food as he looked about him. He just had to remember why he was here, and that would be enough to get him through all of this.

Auraya Irath-Ur

Auraya Irath-Ur

A
"Oh, the Jedi always have need of such skills! You have your typical Guardians and Consulars, I think they're what most think of when they see Jedi, but we have Sentinels too. They're typically the ones with less traditional skillsets, but they're just as important! Besides, it's always nice to have someone who can think outside of the box, see a problem and figure out a new solution. I'm sure you'll find your place among them them one of these days, if you choose that route."
The Sentinels had always fascinated Raya, but given that she had a hard enough time comprehending the more traditional paths she hadn't put too much time or effort into learning their more out of the box methods. Still she couldn't help but have an ache to learn how to fix droids, if nothing else. She wondered if Gregor knew much about that... Now wasn't the time to ask though.
She smiled as he wandered off to get some food, and quickly left the mess hall in search of an infostation. Hopefully they could get the issue of dorm rooms squared away soon enough. If not? Well, technically Raya had a room here at the Temple, even though Zaavik had provided her with an apartment across the City. If necessary, he'd at least have that for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom