Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Populate Populate Threads | Cultural Victory Ruleset Unlocked

Major Changes:

Code:
1. Provide a cost-effective way to expand on non-Map Game threads and still gain hexes.
2. Reflect the "behind the scenes" natural expansion of a successful faction in the Galaxy.
3. Provide in-character incentive for tracking a Major Faction's threads and forum activity.

Link for the Lazy:

POPULATE

Populate threads are cultural expansion threads that allow Major Factions to claim entire hexes by highlighting or providing additional content to momentous occasions from other non-Invasion, non-Rebellion, non-PvE threads.
ex. Faction, Skirmish, Campaign, or Annihilations.

• At any point, a Major Faction may acquire an adjacent SWRP Chaos Map hex by completing a Dominion thread, posting to the Map Update thread, and receiving Staff approval.
  • Populate threads are classified as Player Vs Environment (PvE) threads.
  • A Populate thread’s title must include the name or acronym of the Major Faction, and the name of a planet visible in the hex.
  • A Populate thread must include links to a minimum of two or more referenced non-Invasion, non-Rebellion, non-PvE threads in the first post of the thread.
  • A Populate thread may only be started on a hex adjacent to the Major Faction’s influence cloud.
  • A hex lost as the result of an invasion or rebellion defeat may not have a Populate thread started on it by the defeated faction for 30 days after the announcement of the Invasion or Rebellion result.
THREAD EXCLUSIONS
  • Populate threads may not highlight or provide additional content to momentous occasions from Invasions, Rebellions, or other PvE threads.
REBELLIONS
  • The fourth PvE thread submitted by a Major Faction in a calendar month is vulnerable to Rebellions (see Rebellion Rules).
  • If two Major Factions submit completed Populate threads for the same hex within 24 hours, and both are approved, a Rebellion (see Rebellion Rules) will begin in that hex.

VICTORY CONDITIONS

Once a Major Faction has posted a completed Populate thread to the Map Update thread, an Admin will assign an RPJ to judge whether the thread meets the following criteria. The RPJ will sign the ‘Approval’ field in the Map Update template, or will contact the submitter if further work is needed.

• STORY - Does the Populate thread have a story (or group of stories), highlight another thread's story, or provide additional content that makes sense and that comes to a reasonable conclusion?
  • REPRESENTATION - How well is the Faction represented in the Populate thread? For example, if two members post the bulk of the thread back-to-back, the Populate thread is unlikely to be approved without more work from other Faction members.
  • EFFORT - How much effort has the Faction put into the thread? As a general guideline, 30 average posts is an acceptable effort. A lower number of posts may be acceptable if clear effort has resulted in solid stories that reach a natural conclusion. Spammed posts with minimal effort will count against the Faction.

POPULATE
Hex Gained: (Please specify exact Hex coordinate)
Name Of The Faction: (Fully name the Faction correctly)
Link To Populate: (Insert Populate Thread URL)
Number Of Posts The Populate Thread Has At The Current Time: (Insert Post Count Here)
RPJ Approval: (Leave this blank, an RPJ shall insert their name when it has been approved)

[/populate]

I like the concept and I've been mulling over all afternoon on how to apply it. The way I see, or rather understand, Populate threads are as a continuation to another thread (Faction, Skirmish, Campaign, Annihilations) from before. On one hand, the first thing that comes to my mind is the norm - 'aftermath' threads that are done post-invasion, which according to the rules we can't use to reference.

The next thing that comes to my mind is using Populate threads as 'subplots' to a larger, faction story which are usually done in one thread.

All in all, if we consider Populate as a continuation or just exploring in-depth 'momentous occasions from other non-Invasion, non-Rebellion, non-PvE threads', my suggestion would be dropping the minimum from two threads necessary to launch a Populate thread to just one, because most of the time these momentous occasions tend to be in a single thread. I think dropping the minimum referenced thread required to launch a Populate to one makes it far more feasible.

Tefka Tefka

Shortly in the future, it’s likely we follow suit with the “Classification” of Invasions/Rebellions as “PVP THREADS”. Populate will likely get dumbed down in the wake of this.

I see Populates applying to Invasions/Rebellions as incentive to do more Invasions/Rebellions. I do not wish to incentivize this more - they have plenty incentive on their own.

So, if Populate mechanics takes root, it’ll be the further expulsion of PvP threads as we refine the ruleset.

Also, to address two and not one - it makes zero sense to do a Dominion if you can just scrublord a Faction thread and then do a Populate for less effort than a Dom.

Two or more gates Populates from this behavior

No.

I’m saying if/when we refine, I would look at PvE threads instead. But this depends on 1) their popularity between now and then and 2) how badly Staff wants to make Populate threads work.

So... a populate thread is basically like a faction expanding it's influence through non war means? Like gaining a hex by setting up medical camps or creating trade routes or something?

No.

I’m saying if/when we refine, I would look at PvE threads instead. But this depends on 1) their popularity between now and then and 2) how badly Staff wants to make Populate threads work.

This would be cool. I can think of more times I've wanted a dom/junction to continue due to a cool story and no end yet rather than faction threads- probably because when the thread hits submission, hex gain threads tend to fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom