Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play With Me The Game Of Fire

tGqGRyq.jpg

“Something is happening,” she whispered, staring in to the flames. She’d long ago stopped finding it painful to gaze for so long in to something so bright. “Xoth-za, just a sign of what you want us to do...I beg of you. The signs that the Eyaer are coming back grow with each day. So subtle yes, to be sure. But I have read the ashes and we must be ready.”

The Nautolan stared in to the flames, not daring to blink lest she miss some miniscule acknowledgement from her god.

As it had been for a century, there was nothing.

“Please, Xoth-za…”

She was never angry with him. That he had not given them signs through the Flame in decades was not his failing, but theirs. Somewhere along the way they must have strayed from the path. If he chose not to speak with her personally - and to that day, he had not - then she simply must continue in piety. There was no Herald that knew the stories better than her, that had memorized better the tenants passed down through generations than her. He did not speak because her work was not yet complete. Of this, she was certain.

And it seemed there would still be no answer to the Eyaer problem.

______________________​

Kr’ylland was the city in which she was born - and born again. For that reason, she tested and blessed initiates who had made the pilgrimage specifically to see her. To be blessed by the High Priestess herself was said to be a mark of great luck within the Herald’s ranks.

That month, ten of them had arrived, battered by the journey but renewed no doubt by the Herald’s Temple along one of the city’s innermost rings. In a city so slavishly devoted to the mysterious Stone ensconced at its heart such a place might have seemed blasphemy. But the quiet tension between the Stone’s adherents and the Heralds remained so, simmering but never boiling over. Instead Stonesmen just looked away when they had to pass by Xoth-za’s Temple, averting their eyes from the scorched monolith.

Rael had been alive to see it burn in one of the most recent Crusades against Kr’ylland. The Heralds had taken it up as their base int he city. She’d only been a child, but it had been the reason her family had converted to the Heralds.

Who could deny such primal power?

Thoughts of the Eyaer were far from her mind as she cut and peeled flesh from the initiate under her hands. Methodical, she made incisions and pulled skin, wiping he canvas occasionally. If the initiate could endure her creation without grimacing they would be allowed to try for full Heraldship. The rites would not stop there of course, but they would be allowed to try. Each pattern Rael created was unique, and would rise and scar. Beautiful.

Finishing the last, she pushed off her stool, washing her hands as the boy limped away. He’d done well. She would keep her eye on him. Pulling her wild headtails back and securing a band around them, she sighed and closed her night-sky eyes for just a moment before turning them to the mess from the morning’s rituals.

She would clean it up herself.

[member="Elpsis Kerrigan-Alcori"]​

[member="Rael Rus"]

"So...Maena? Never heard of it before."

"It's not exactly a household name. Think of it as the gateway to all the madness the Unknown Regions can throw at you. Huge city-planet, gangs, cults."

"So like Nar Shaddaa. Or Coruscant," Elpsis replied cynically. Coruscant was a dump. All shiny and glittering on the surface, but beneath was a pestilient ruin of crime, decay and misery. Which, in her opinion, made the Coruscant First movement really absurd. You could not make that cesspit great again because it had never been great in the first place.

"No, kid, crazier. Makes taking a walk through the crappiest places of Nar Shaddaa look like a leisurely stroll," the Cathar smuggler took a long drag from her cigarette, then slowly exhaled a stream of smoke so that it hung in the air between the two. "Upside? Anything you think of is for sale there. But don't think credits will get you far. Downside? It's lunatics running the asylum. Got wholesale religious wars between bands of crazies."

"Like those Heralds. Name ring a bell?"

"A very quiet one," the cat woman quipped. "They're in a committed, very exclusive relationship with fire and they take it extremely seriously. It's a faith thing. Hate tech. Think it pollutes you or something. Me, I'm all live and let live. Pray to Ashira, pray to the credit, pray to some guy you nailed to a wall for all I care." She stubbed out the cigarette, put it in the ashtray and promptly fished out another. "Would you kindly?" she asked, pointing it towards Elpsis.

"That chit kills, y'know," Elpsis pointed out, but nonetheles made a lazy gesture with her hand, lighting the cigarette.

The Cathar made a dismissive gesture. "So does playing rebel and taking on Sith Lords. Why the interest in Maena?"

"Just takin' a break from, as you put it, playing rebel to do the whole see the Galaxy thing." She liked the lady well enough, but no need for her to know more.

The cat woman snorted. "Try not to end up with a knife in the rib. Or lose all your marbles. You're not bad company."

"You mean I'm a free lighter."

xxx

There were those who believed that the universe had been spawned by the creativity of a distant Creator God. Like an artist, the Maker had imprinted his imagination upon a blank canvass. Bit by bit, the emptiness of the black void had been dotted with a myriad of celestial bodies. Over time, these became populated with a variety of life forms. For a while, the Maker had continued tinkering with their masterwork. Some artpieces had been rejected and allowed to gather dust in a basement. But eventually the Creator had looked upon his work and decided that it was good. Content with watching Creation unfold, he had put down his brush and elected to watch.

One could not help wonder what kind of beautiful, demented mind had spawned Kr’ylland. The dark city was surrounded by imposing walls. The interior of the city was built like the most complicated maze a sentient mind could have conceived. A myriad of streets led hither and zither - and often nowhere. Black stone buildings predominated. The heart of it seemed to be an enormous bazaar, where countless merchants and tricksters peddled their wares. A broad variety of scents filled the air. It was this bazaar that two offworlders traversed.

"This was a foolish idea," one of them opined. This was Nyssa Vykaris. Dressed all in black, she sported the crimson skin, sulfuric yellow eyes and bony tendrils in place of eyebrows that marked her as a Pureblood. She spoke in a deep contralto. She was a bit taller than her companion and possessed a more muscular build.

"You say this about all my ideas," the other retorted. Some gun shots could be heard in the distance, but as far as the two could establish, none of the various beings at the bazaar seemed to take notice. They continued buying, haggling, bickering and swindling.

"That is because I am right and your planning leaves much to be desired."

"Yet you came along."

"The alternative would be to spend a week on garrison duty and knocking down naive, snot-nosed acolytes. Compared to that tedium, your company is preferrable. Even if it means indulging your penchant for going on quests because of dreams."

"Nyssa, you could just admit that you like me."

"Your ego continues to amuse me."

"It's not ego if it's true. I know where your eyes are when you think no one's looking," she trailed off as her eyes fell upon a distant, foreboding building. Great power emanated from it. Pedestrians seemed to either avert their gaze as they rushed past, or treat the structure with something that seemed like reverence and awe.

It was the wealth of resources that made Maena, despite its location nestled deep in the Unknown Regions, a place of such varied life. Its proximity to the edge of the known galaxy, and distance from more civilized society in the Core, made its people wild and strange. But it also allowed them to grow in a microcosm, specimens culturing in a way seen nowhere else as credits and trade and visitors flowed in to influence...but never tame. Their history was too potent, and it made them unique despite the outside world coming in.

In the Red Desert lived a hard people that were rumored to have real leather for skin and enjoyed the soft flesh of travellers. But they left the people of the cliffside city by one of Maena’s largest seas alone, some old agreement between the desert and the pirates in that cove. Kr’ylland was a paradise for religious devotees and cultists alike. The New City was Nar Shaddaa on steroids, offering every pleasure and horror imaginable as long as you had the credits or valuable trade. And outside the City’s volcano, the Slums toiled, working endless hours in the mines just for the chance of collecting something so valuable they might never have to walk down in to the dark again. The Hutts, attracted to the lucrative crime on the planet, could be found populating an island in the middle of the Dead Sea. A prison complex that dove leagues in to another small sea hummed with trapped life. There were whispers of a leper’s colony to the north, but no one had confirmed that, and no one wanted to. And of course...there was that island out in the ocean…

Between all these mapped places, there were miles and miles and miles of volcanic wastes and sparse grasslands, no doubt hiding unmapped civilizations and landmarks that had remained hidden from the world at large.

Rael wanted to find those places. She’d heard of an explorer’s map, made of course on a tablet that she would sooner die than look closely at. It was said that this man, through his work delivering goods all over the world, had taken a liking to seeing the unseen. Between his own travels and the tales of those he met along the way, he’d created something that might show Maena in more detail than currently understood. And she - convinced that one of the reasons Xoth-za was displeased was the places that Heralds had lost and forgotten - needed it. She’d had the thing commissioned on to paper so that she might study it for herself.

And she’d gotten word it was ready to pick up.

Squeezing the last bloody gout of water out of the rag she’d used to wipe up the mess, she stood and stretched. With her morning’s business out of the way, she could go look at that map and have the entire day to study it.

__________​

“The Stone must be smiling on us today, friends,” said one of the men, picking a bit of lice out of his beard and smiling in a way that revealed a truly confounding set of teeth. His companions - four in total - were not all so disgusting, but they used Gap (as he was called) as their invisible gambit. People saw him and then wished they hadn’t, and so looked away. He could get away with things the rest of them might not.

“Oh feth off with the Stone business. It’s all garbage anyway,” said another, an unusually tall woman. Her features bent towards masculine, an intimidating beauty.

“Shut up - you know what happens if one of them hears you talking that way about the thing,” said a third, brutish hands tapping twice against his chest in a superstitious warding off of ill luck. It was said the Stone drove men mad, and it was more than rumor that anyone heard speaking poorly about it wasn’t long for the world.

“What I MEANT,” sighed Gap, nodding his head towards the two women in question, “is that we’ve been handed a gift. Look at those two. I admit they’ve dressed the part but they’re too curious. Not right. And look...one of them is blind. She’s got nice hair too, bet they’re both rich enough to afford nice shampoo.”

“If only you were, Gap,” said the tall woman, avoiding taking too deep a breath in his presence.

“Oi, feth off,” he grumbled.

The group of five conferred, agreeing that out of everyone who’d come through that day, the pair of women seemed the easiest target with the most potential. Gap would confront them, being the least physically imposing but the smoothest talker, and the other four would arrange themselves to take action if their targets tried anything stupid.

And so it was that the squat, smelly man found himself standing in front of the Empath and her friend. His body language was relaxed so as not to alert anyone around - though, like most of Maena, no one really got involved in anyone else’s business, not even to stop a crime.

“Ladies look like you’re new around here. There’s a bit of a fee for exploring the city you see. It’s exactly…everything you’ve got. Hand it over easy and my friends and I will let you keep your lives.”

Gap let his eyes drift towards the tall woman first, now sitting at a small food stall and eating a bowl of noodles. Then to the brutish humanoid with leathery skin, pretending to browse wares and standing so there was a stall between himself and the targets. Then to a Rodian leaning against the wall of a stone building. And finally to a Devaronian woman sitting directly behind them at another stall. All visibly armed and armored.

[member="Rael Rus"]

"Since you're so insistent on travel to dangerous places, we should pay visit Korriban a visit," Nyssa declared. Her tone was so deadpan it was difficult to discern whether she was serious or not.

Elpsis raised an eyebrow. "Thought you weren't keen on the place anymore. I remember lots of rants about 'aliens' and 'false Sith' desecrating it."

"That is because they are. Tainting the ancestral homeland with their vainglory and filthy footsteps. Much has been plundered by fools, but there are bound to be relics they are not deserving of."

"Sure, I'll chat with Mother. 'My Sith girlfriend would like me to go on joyride to Korriban to keep false Sith from having Sith stuff'."

"I am not your girlfriend."

"Relax, Ny. I'm not asking for flowers and sappy poetry."

Unfortunately, this conversation was cut short by the appearance of a group of thugs who wanted to extract a fee. Such occurences were common in crime-infested cities where law enforcement was...variable or nonexistent. Elpsis had spent a lot of time on Nar Shaddaa during less legitimate days, so she was familiar with the procedure. A squat, foul smelling man was the spokesman. He needed some shampoo. However, Elpsis sensed other presences. They were doing their best to pretend as if they were browsing wares or eating food, but they could not hide their malicious intent from an empath.

Four more. Don't hurt civvies.
Yes, redlocks.

"Firstly, you need some shampoo. Secondly, you really don't wanna do this. It's not gonna go well."

"No, it ain't," the man snarled. "Cause if you don't pay up, my friends will cut your throats and let you bleed to death. So hand over your valuables. Clock's ticking."

"Sorry, but I better warn you...I'm a prophetess and I've just seen the future."

"Sure you can," he set his unkempt, lise-infested beard and showed jagged yellow teeth. His comrades produced vibroknives and pistols, closing in. "What do you see?"

The response was prompt. It took the form of Nyssa ramming her cybernetic fist into the man's solar plexus. Ouch. While his diaphragam spasmed, a brutish thug tried to grab the Pureblood. A swift elbow doubled him over. She then grabbed the back of his head and slammed his face into her knee with enough force to knock teeth out. There was a loud crack.

Gap, meanwhile, had recovered and used Nyssa's distraction to strike her with a knife. With a cruel gleam in his eyes, he slashed at her face before embedding the weapon in her shoulder. Undaunted, the Pureblood grabbed his wrist. There was a cry when it went places it really should not go. Then she flung him over her shoulder. As he impacted upon the ground, she pulled the knife out.

Precognition whispered inside Elpsis' mind as thugs drew their guns. She could not see muzzles rising, but her perception was enhanced in other ways. For just a moment, time seemed to slow down. A howl emanated from the Rodian when a blaster bolt connected with his leg.

Heat surged through Elpsis' body when she spun and a blaster bolt was caught by her hand. She felt like she was on fire. It caused her to stagger a bit. The heat inside her found an outlet when the tall woman who had been shooting suddenly dropped her blaster in surprise for it had turned red-hot. Shock turned to fright when her hair was set aflame.

"She's a Herald!" As the Devaronian tried to retreat, Elpsis reached out with her mind to seize her legs, causing her to slam into the pavement. Meanwhile, folks had continued going about their business. Maenans chatted, haggled or ate at food stores. Some watched the show, but many just continued as normal. No one seemed to think that the scene playing out before was anything out of the ordinary. It was just another day.

Up until that point, Maenans winding their way through the bazaar did indeed seem largely unphased by the confrontation taking place. Those that were in the general area moved a bit to the side to avoid the annoyance of being jostled by a thrown body, or hit with a stray blaster bolt, but mostly it was just that - an inconvenience. By and large, they sipped their drinks or paused over the rugs and silks they were perusing and watched, if they even cared to do that much.

It was amazing however, how the entire mood changed the moment one of the thugs shouted a warning to the others. She’s a Herald!

Even outside Kr’ylland, the City of Cults, Maena held religion in all forms in high esteem - including, and perhaps more and more frequently, worship of oneself. But even in the New City, that heathenous hub, the Heralds were known and feared. They themselves did not write, but plenty of historians had elucidated the history of the group on their behalf. A religious group spanning millions of years, their ancestors had seen Maena in the days before it had all been lava-rock and ash...they were the reason it was lava-rock and ash. Their god. The one who built the world after his vision. Fiercely bonded, they were a brotherhood viewed with in a confusing dichotomy of feelings: awe, adoration, and abject fear melding in most citizens. The Heralds protected Maenans against the myriad ills of their planet, defending the everyman from danger wherever they could be found. They were generous, leaving wealth in smaller towns in which they visited to preach or in the hands of beggars in larger cities. They taught people how to defend themselves, their engineers and masons sharing millenia of an oral history that left villages and cities better off for their shared knowledge. Most places they were found passing through, they were welcomed quietly and in deference.

But there was no mistaking that veneer of animal caution they garnered either. The historians had written about that too, a Herald’s...retribution. A whispered word against Xoth-za and the calm demeanor of a Herald changed. Attacking one was suicide. Every man, woman, and child had seen the footage from Level 482 in the New City just two months ago: twenty-two blocks of a blazing inferno, carefully controlled by Heralds that had made the months-long journey in to the lower City to burn a gang that had attempted stealing from their coffers in Kr’ylland. It had been a perfect wall, controlled on every side by Master Heralds, initiates at their side training to take up the mantle. For days the sides of Idd-yha volcano had smoked as filters desperately pumped out smoke through enormous piping. Nothing had been left of the gang’s territory but ashes.

So it was no surprise that absolutely everyone that had attacked, including Gap despite his winded and limping state, got up and ran at that pronouncement.
This of course, left their compatriot behind, held in place by Elpsis.
They did say there was no honor among thieves.

It was then that Rael strode up, calm as you please, to the two women. The Nautolan was not silent, dressed as she was in red chainmail and heavy leathers. She knew the red-haired woman and her companion were not, as had been yelled, Heralds. Even if she weren’t familiar with nearly all of her organization (zealot, incredible zealot), all Heralds wore distinctive colors and clothing like her own. Even still, she’d felt the Flame...she’d seen the blaster’s metal heat instantaneously.

There was fire here.

“What will you do with her?” she asked of the blind one, nodding her head towards the woman held fast by her legs. Her voice was deep, but feminine nonetheless.

There was fire, and Rael would find out its type and try to fold it in.

[member="Rael Rus"]

All of a sudden, the climate had changed. The thugs fled, abandoning their comrade to Elpsis' tender mercies - or lack thereof, perhaps. Fear spread through the ranks of those who, just a few moments ago, had gone about their business and either ignored the melee or considered it a form of free entertainment.

Abruptly, a Nautolan female clad in scarlet chainmail and leathers stepped out of the crowd. Anyone who happened to be in her way gave her a wide berth. It was the kind of authority that demanded respect and submission without needing to speak. Power radiated from her. “What will you do with her?”

It was the Sith Pureblood who spoke first, though she had not been asked. Nyssa was nonchalantly cleaning the knife she'd just pulled out. She looked wary of the newcomer. Alien. Splendid. "Chop her hand off. It'll be a lesson. Or make a serf out of her. She's easy on the eyes. Needs a bath though."

"Please...don't burn me. I didn't know you were a Herald," the woman was not too proud to beg.

"I'm no Herald," Elpsis interjected, "and I won't burn you." This caused some murmurs in the crowd. "Fight's over. You're unarmed. But...you need a lesson. Otherwise you won't ever learn." Stepping towards the woman, she grabbed her and pushed her up against a wall.

"W-what are you doing? Let me go!"

"This won't take long. Don't try to fight. All you'll do is hurt yourself." The woman's mind was a mass of emotions. Fear, greed, lust and anger. It was not a strong mind. Few street thugs had those. They gained a small measure of power by kicking those weaker than them, but fell in line when a stronger mind enforced dominance on them. Piercing it took some effort, but she soon succeeded.

Reaching into her memories, she dug deep. The woman had been hurt in her past and hurt others in turn. Maena was a harsh, cruel world. Elpsis viewed images of violence, of people being left dying in alleways, blood dripping from slit throats. Suddenly the woman was assailed by invisible phantoms, as if the ghosts of those the gang had abused suddenly returned.

tumblr_lwhnf1QZxm1qa5eu4o2_500.gif

"There. Now you'll feel this any time you try to pull the same stunt again," Elpsis whispered. "Your friends are garbage. They're not worth it." Slowly, she withdrew from the screaming woman. Her own mind was pulsing with pain. It made her wince slightly.

Heralds had specific codes and goals that had to be observed. No writing, and therefore most never bothered learning to read either though the latter was not forbidden. No high technology. Pay homage to the Flame twice daily - as you wake and before you sleep. Defend those sacred sites left to them. Burn those that would speak heretical thoughts. Find new ways to show Xoth-za their worship. Myriad others large and small.

But for their codes, they had and continued to have a largely varied base of morality. With the exception of issues of grave import, Heralds were allowed to tackle their missions, journeys, and situations as they saw fit. Some would never resort to violence save for the cleansing breath of fire when they had no other choice. Some were more neutral, assessing the world in tones of gray. And still others were ready to find the quickest, dirtiest solution to a problem without thinking about collateral. It was one of the reasons the Heralds remained widely feared - the unpredictable nature of their Order’s individual members left one guessing.

This of course sometimes led to arguments within their order. But as long as Xoth-za’s will was carried out, the means were often justified in the end.

So when one of the women suggested taking a hand or enslaving the would-be attacker, Rael simply nodded. She was as true a neutral party as could be found among her people, making her a capable leader. She viewed the spectrum of Heralds as natural balance, keeping them from becoming stagnant in one way as a whole. It might not have been the choice she would have made, but she could see the value in the answer provided.

The blind woman though… That she obviously had some form of sight was secondary to the more morally complex decision that she chose. Rael was no empath, nor mentalist, and so she would probably never know what transpired between the red-haired one and the attacker. There was an eerie few moments where the captive struggled before her face went completely blank, absorbing some stream of thoughts or images perhaps, before crumpling as readily as her body when she was let go. The empath’s direction however, was telling enough as to what might have been exchanged.

Interesting.

“Come,” Rael said softly so as not to pierce too much in to the headache that seemed to be afflicting the...potential recruit, as she’d already started thinking of her. Of both of them, her companion included.

Inside The Temple of Xoth-za in Kr’ylland, there were huge chambers devoted to myriad necessities: bunks, training, armor and weapon crafting - the list went on. But the main hall, the first place all visitors and members alike laid eyes on upon entering was simply something to marvel at. All buildings in Kr’ylland were built to face the stone at its center, and this one was no exception. But the Heralds had replaced the old glass in the walls facing the rising sun with a mosaic of stained tiles that seemed to catch flame as the brilliant star rose, and caught and amplified the flicker of fire at night.

The Nautolan indicated where her guests could sit among tables scattered throughout the hall - if, of course, they had followed - and went to go get a bowl of food for each. The food was traditionally for Heralds or those who had completed a pilgrimage and stumbled in to the temple, triumphant and weary. But food was a gateway to conversation and Rael knew Xoth-za would find this one worthy. Placing bowls in front of either woman, and one for herself, Rael settled across from them.

Of all the things about Maena that were repugnant, their food wasn't one of them. Rael took a bite of sky-hawk curried in Maenan ash-peppers, bits of sweet green hyen beans floating in the fiery dish, before leaping in.

“I am Rael Rus, High Priestess of Xoth-Za and his Heralds.” It was a title she obviously held great pride in, though not for reasons of vanity. Her faith was everything. That she had been chosen was her life’s greatest honor. “Was it coincidental that you manipulated heat in front of our Temple, or did you both seek us?”

[member="Rael Rus"]

In fairy tales, morality was clear-cut. The good guys were shining paragons of righteousness, the bad guys were depraved, wore black and had veiny skin. Alas, reality was often murkier. There were irredeemable forces that could not be bargained with, only fought. Most Sith, for one. But good was harder to discern.

Righteousness often blended into fanaticism. The belief that any deed perpetrated by oneself was justified because one was noble and just. The quintessential tautological templar. Often find found amongst those who walked the path of the Jedi - at least that was Elpsis' experience. Her views were far from unbiased. Devotees of the Light had committed atrocities while maintaining a state of serene nonattachment that could only be described as sociopathic. Other Jedi pursued the other extreme, forgiving traitors and war criminals no matter what their deeds, refusing to take up arms because they placed their perceived moral high ground above lives.

Her code was simple. Stand up for the little people, fight those who hurt them or harmed her family. Kill in hot, not cold blood. But do not offer instant forgiveness for those who had perpetrated evil, but suddenly claimed to have turned a new leaf because it was convenient for them. In a way, she respected Nyssa because the Pureblood had not claimed to have suddenly seen the Light.

Actions had consequences, after all.

The ganger had crumpled into a fetal position. She was shaking. The voices would cease, but not leave her. A voice beckoned the empath. It was soft, yet spoke with authority. The sort that commanded attention and obedience without effort. She was a bit reminded of Mother. I don't trust her, Nyssa chimed in.

Me neither. But she did not feel like they were in imminent danger. So she gave the Sith a nod and followed the apparent Herald. It did not take them long to reach the grand temple. Elpsis' ethereal eyes travelled over the complex as they were led into the main hall. A myriad sensations greeted here. The Force was strong in these halls, as it was in any place a large number Force-Sensitives congregated in. A Jedi Temple tended to produce strong feelings of tranquility, inducing serenity and peacefulness. A Sith Temple, by contrast, radiated untamed aggression and fear. What Elpsis felt hear could be best described as a mixture of the two. It reminded her a bit of the Order of Fire base. Mosaic of stained titles caught the fiery rays of the brilliant sun.

Lost within her thoughts for a moment, Elpsis sat down. Nyssa had followed, but her posture was more alert. Studying possible exits, for one. A moment later, their Nautolan host returned, bearing bowls of food for each of the three. “I am Rael Rus, High Priestess of Xoth-Za and his Heralds. Was it coincidental that you manipulated heat in front of our Temple, or did you both seek us?”

"It's an honour to meet you, High Priestess," Elpsis said in what she thought was a diplomatic tone. "My name is Elpsis. I'm an explorer and independent practitioner of the Force. This is Nyssa," she glanced towards the Pureblood, who muttered something in Sithese. "Fire's been my gift since childhood. I just wanted to end the fight quickly, I guess. But I've heard a bit about Maena and the Heralds. I'm always down for meeting new cultures." Elpsis' left arm, the replacement for the one she'd lost in her duel with Matsu Xiangu, itched slighty. Phantom pain came and went, but was never far.

No doubt Rael would have been interested in this Order of Fire had she known that Xoth-za’s Temple brought up thoughts of it in Elpsis’ mind. Not to join of course, but there was value in meeting others who placed fire at the center of their lives. Perhaps even more value if she could convert some - but that would be getting ahead of herself.

Fire’s been my gift since childhood.

A sentence that made Rael hungry. The Heralds were made of many, both force-user’s and otherwise. Those without worshipped and helped in their own ways, while those with trained - hopefully beginning early in their lives - in the use of heat and fire tirelessly. From there, those who completed initiation might branch off. Some spread the Flame, traveling to other worlds to tell other peoples of Xoth-za, converting where they could or at least garnering good will by helping here and there. Some were craftsmen that forged the order’s distinctive armor, some were masons and builders, some took only to priestly duties like ritual and order. But most became warriors.

Rael did not know Sithese, so she couldn’t understand whatever it was Nyssa said, but such things didn’t bother her; she appreciated spirit.

She considered them both. Elpsis was… The Nautolan didn’t know enough to be completely sure, but what she’d seen made her very curious. If the young woman’s power was as controlled as the fine movement to heat a small object in a split second, that was talent the Heralds needed.

“Well, if you're interested we'll be training a group of initiates. About a hundred, the largest wave in some time. Depending on the amount of skill in the group it might even be impressive,” she said, no hint of a joke in her voice. She was capable of humor but it was said by other Heralds to never joke around her where Xoth-za was concerned. “We don’t have many extra landspeeders so you'll most likely have to ride double. Or rent one. But I don't trust the Gungun who owns the rental around the corner.” Then again, who did?

Travel to Maena’s surface was difficult. In keeping with its reputation - a constant question of why anyone would live there pervading the idea of it - its skies were plagued by creatures that found sport in bringing down ships. There were more than a few skeletons of massive frigates rotting on the stretch between cities, as covered in ash as anything else. The leathery, winged beasts - known as A'zan-ix treated ships something like oysters - a shell to crack to get at the meat inside. There were one or two accounts from crew that had somehow survived both the crash and the vicious predators (giant mouths filled with fangs snaking through holes in the hull, eating everyone). And size didn't matter. The larger the ship, the more dragon-like beasts gathered to bring it down. As such, the only truly safe place to land was near the New City or the Slums. The tourist attraction of the City and the unbelievable wealth of the mines had necessitated the construction of a magnetic field that kept the beasts from downing ships that carefully stayed within it while landing.

Everyone else was taking their chances.

This led to true isolation for all other communities, as the safest mode of travel was either by landspeeder or good old-fashioned walking. No doubt both women with her already knew all this as they'd made it to Kr’ylland safely. That they'd made the journey was proof enough that they might take her up on another trip.

As they left the mouth of temple, a metallic roar echoed over the city. Shielding her eyes, Rael looked up as an A'zan-ix coasted overhead. Even at its distant height it was obvious the thing was enormous. All spikes and sharp edges and teeth…

“Yes, we’ll definitely want the speeders…”

[member="Rael Rus"]

Order of Fire was an unintentionally ironic name, as the leader of the group was incapable of using pyrokinesis. When queried about this, Siobhan would insist that it was symbolic. Fire could destroy, but also warm and was the first step towards human using technology. Balance this, balance that and so on. Or just say that it was a branch of Firemane. Besides, her hair was red.

Regardless, Elpsis sensed something emanating from the High Priestess. A feeling that was akin to hunger - and directed towards her. However, it was not hunger in the way Elpsis was used to. Not the sort that hinted at fun behind closed doors that would upset censors. She considered her words carefully before responding to her offer. Interaction with religious cults could easily turn dangerous. A blasphemous word could easily cause hostility. Respect for one's skills could easily turn into animus if you were perceived as a threat. Still, she was interested. "Oh, I'd be down to see your students in action. Maybe we can learn a bit from each other," she said jovially.

Nyssa said nothing, but gave a curt nod. She had helped herself to the meal after ascertaining that it was not poisoned. "This is good," she muttered. Having received what passed for the all clear, Elpsis helped herself to some food as well after thanking the head cleric. It did not take long for the meal to end and the three ladies were on their way out. All seemed normal - as far as things could be normal here!

Then they suddenly heard a terribly loud animalistic, yet metallic, roar. Danger instincts took over as Nyssa reached for her lightsabre. Then the majestic beast flew overhead. Huge wings, spike, sharp edges and an enormous mouth that looked like it could feast on a subcapital ship. Even at this distance, its size and majesty were unmistakeable.

"Goddess. It's huge. What is that creature called?" Elpsis asked aloud. She was a bit on edge, but more curious than nervous.

"We're not bringing a baby one home," Nyssa growled.

"I was only asking about its name," Elpsis sounded just a bit indignant.

"That's how it starts. The moment you run into something big, clawed and carnivorous, you want to befriend it."

"You're just jealous because animals like me, unlike you."

“A’zan-ix,” Rael answered, pausing in her haste for a moment to indulge in the wonder of looking up. Heralds were one of the few living creatures that the enormous reptiles tended to leave alone, perhaps a mutual use of fire marking them as some sort of kin. But that didn’t mean caution wasn’t a smart strategy when one was in the sky. “There are only about 30 of them at a time. As far as anyone can tell, they hatch enough to keep themselves hovering at about that number. Ship-eaters, the reason no one can fly around here.”

Something of a grin softened her usually stony face at the good-natured bickering between the two women.

“There are rumors that if you can find a hatchling, or a small one, you might tame and form a bond with it. There are tales of riders in Herald history. But I’ve never seen one in my time.”

The creature was still overhead as the group mounted speeders and took off over the black sands surrounding the city. It kicked up behind them, glittering in the sun that occasionally peeked through heavy cloud cover. Massive volcanoes rose up ahead of them, the seeming destination as everyone rode at breakneck pace. Speed was advised in part to avoid the horses that roamed the Obsidian Desert, twisted by the nexus in Kr’ylland over hundreds of centuries until they became something barely recognizable. Completely blind, they seemed attracted to anyone with the Force.

And they were always hungry.

But as someone wise had once said, there was always a bigger fish. Coasting low over the group - low enough to give Rael one heart-pounding moment of concern that they were being attacked - the A’zan-ix passed overhead so close its massive size could truly be understood. Its front claws alone were the height of two men standing atop one another, its wings casting inescapable shadow on the sand. There was no escape for the group of Obsidian horses that got about three paces before the massive dragon gulped them up and once more swooped higher to the sky.

The temple outside Kr’ylland was one of the largest, built in modernity (at least, in terms of the Heralds - it was still hundreds of years old) and used primarily for the training of initiates. Channels dug deep to pull magma to the surface flowed sluggishly along decorative channels, braziers tended so they were always burning casting orange light over dark stone. Inside the main building was housing, food, supplies, halls for their armorers and leather-workers, for their sages and seers. But for the moment they were interested in a sunken courtyard to the right, sprawling out with no walls so the barren volcanic landscape nestled between two volcanoes could be seen. The earth as Xoth-za intended.

“Anyone seeking to become an initiate in our order must make the pilgrimage to Kr’ylland, and from there are taken here to begin their training. It’s a hub for our travellers, but primarily we do the bulk of our training here. We’ve had a steady if modest number of seekers for many decades, but lately we’ve seen more. They can feel that…” She realized she’d said more than she wanted to, trailing off as she led her guests down the steps to the area where recruits of all ages stood in attentive rows to receive instructions. There were several other Masters in the area, speaking with individual students. They’d already been at it for hours. “I don’t want to put you on the spot,” she said to Elpsis, quietly enough that the women could refuse if she wanted to. “But maybe you can show them that technique of disarming someone with a weapon I witnessed earlier.”

[member="Rael Rus"]

A huge temple awaited them. They were drawn to the sunken courtyard. There were no walls, exposing the barren volcanic landscape to their eyes. Overwhelming heat radiated from it. Two volcanoes lay between them. Being so attuned to fire, Elpsis could feel its potency. For a while, she wondered whether the Heralds locked heretics in magma cells. She recalled the New Jedi Order being fond of that, what with being Jedi zealots and all that. Ironically, Mother had voiced an interest in building magma cells since it seemed to fit Firemane better than Jedi.

"They can feel that…"

What could they feel? Elpsis was about to ask. Was there a grave threat only the Heralds were believed to be able to combat? Was there pressure to join the order? Clearly she had stumbled on territory the High Priestess did not want to discuss. Elpsis exchanged a glance with Nyssa, whose aura swelled with suspicion, but said nothing, nodding curtly. The trio moved down blazing hot steps, entering a training area. There, recruits of all ages and various races stood at attention.

Being deprived of physical sight, Elpsis could not make out the ritualised scarification that a number of the acolytes sported. A few of the Heralds were Masters or otherwise more experienced, their greater level of power being clearly identifiable by their bright auras. Some radiated shining light, others were like wells of blackness, others grey. Elpsis herself was increasingly falling into the third category.

“But maybe you can show them that technique of disarming someone with a weapon I witnessed earlier.”

Wait? What?! Oh, right.

Elpsis flushed slightly. Fortunately she did not turn as red as Nyssa. Or her firemane, for that matter. It was just the heat, of course. "Oh, sure, I can do that," she said. Truth be told, part of her was a bit flattered. The other part was a bit anxious. So far the Heralds had been decent to her, but she had only met their leader a couple minutes ago. Then again, the technique she was being asked to demonstrate was probably something their more advanced members already knew. So if it turned out that they were a stereotypical evil cult it would not really give them much of an advantage.

"Showoff," Nyssa muttered in Sithese.

"You're jealous," Elpsis responded, and stepped forward. Expectant eyes fell upon the newcomer, perhaps wondering why she had been brought her. Feeling a bit nervous, she cleared her throat. "Hello there, I am Elpsis. I'm here as a...guest of the High Priestess." She hated public speaking. At least she'd managed to say this without stuttering or too many unnecessary breaks. "She's spoken highly of your command over fire. It's a gift I share." Always good to butter people up, right? "Anyway, I'd like one of your advanced members to step forward."

There was mumbling amongst the Heralds, then a human female stepped forward. This one was an Atrisian, with straight, thick black hair, slanted eyes and a strong, athletic body. At her side she carried a scabbard decorated with elaborate runes that were probably of a religious nature. A sword rested inside it. "Atsuko Nakamura," she said with a slight accent and a bow. "Xoth'Za's blessing be upon you."

Elpsis returned the bow. "And Mother's upon you," she said. "Now I want you to pick a weapon - any really - and attack me."

In a blur of motion, the Atrisian Herald drew her sword. Crossing the distance swiftly, she launche a vicious cut. While Elpsis got plenty of cardio - both cardio and cardio - she was no Force Speed specialist, thus she was caught a bit off-guard by how quick the woman was. She dodged the stroke, but the woman scored a cut across her cheek, drawing blood. She cartwheeled out of the way, dodging a strike that struck the ground. As she moved she was focusing, channelling. The Atrisian was relentless, seeking to back her into a corner. Then blazing heat suddenly suffused the sword as its hilt began to glow red-hot. Doubtless the Herald had learned how to absorb heat, so she did not drop it immediately. But then it turned white-hot and she dropped the sword with a yelp.

What Rael didn’t want to say was that the Heralds retained and grew their membership because they were a respected tradition. For millennia the threat of the planet’s original species, the near-immortal Eyaer, had been nothing but the ghost of a threat. Their function as protectors of Maena had shifted away from being the only thing that could stop a nearly unstoppable force to more traditional guardians.

What she didn’t want to say was that there were signs the Eyaer were coming back, and people with the Flame were coming to learn how to fight in larger numbers than any in recent history.

Pushing the thought from her mind, she watched Elpsis step forward and begin speaking with an alacrity that Rael found only partially surprising. In truth, it was an opportunity to watch the woman with more purpose than the surprise attack in the market. It was apparent from the start she was no mere apprentice and as a guest she shouldn’t be treated as such. But even still, Rael had to check that she wasn’t frothing at the mouth at the thought of recruiting her as her mini-lesson played out.

Heralds were naturally resistant to fire and could withstand extreme temperatures. From what they knew of their ancestors, the Zsha-thu - primitive people the Heralds were born from - evolved underneath Maena’s surface. They lived closer to the molten belly than anyone else and thus were molded to live near it. Nowadays, Heralds merely developed that power. A pale imitation but powerful nonetheless. They were taught to resist attacks with heat and fire but none of them truly feared it. It occured to Rael that this was dangerous.

She stepped forward once Nakamura had dropped the sword, placing a hand on the young woman’s shoulder to soothe the sting of being bested. It would be good for her ego but still, a kind gesture was always nice.

“We are the only ones on this world who know the Flame as it was meant to be used, who can manipulate fire with the gift Xoth-za has granted us!” she said to the courtyard at large, her voice now much more commanding than it had been previous. “But it’s a big galaxy outside Maena, and outsiders wield fire as well. You must never anticipate it won’t be used against you, and well. But remember - you earned this gift! Your faith will prevail!” The students were silent, at attention. The High Priestess directly participating in their training wasn’t rare so much as selective and they were sponges. “If our guest will allow it, learn from her. Understand what you’re up against.”

As if on cue, a gaggle of younger initiates sped forward, trying to push past each other in their eagerness to catch the visitor’s attention. Miss, blessings - could you show me how!? I want to see how to absorb it! What other cool things can you do?! I’ve never met an off-worlder before!

Nakamura, for her part, joined with a group of older Knights who set to work using the same tactics against each other - seemingly trying to hold on as long as they could.

Rael let as close to a motherly smile as ever graced her face settle, and then turned to look at Nyssa. “They tell me off-worlders call this thing we have...the Force. And that different people have different specialities. What do you do?”

______________________​

A distance off - far enough away not to be seen or felt, but close enough to see the action on the open courtyard - a group of six people watched the Heralds and their initiates duelling with faces still as the stone they worshipped.

“That’s more than we thought,” came a male voice from the line of strangers.

“We have waited centuries for this,” spoke a woman - lined face, coffee-colored skin, a voice like rough gravel. I have waited millennia for enough of you to squash your petty bickering to take back this planet. I don’t care how many there are. A thousand of them are not even one of us. Now, go. It’s time they know it’s not their world any longer.”

The five she’d managed to gather swarmed past her, avoiding the magma as they kept to the dark obsidian gravel at the towering volcano range’s feet.

“It never was,” she murmured to herself before she followed up the rear.

[member="Rael Rus"]

Miss, blessings - could you show me how!? I want to see how to absorb it! What other cool things can you do?! I’ve never met an off-worlder before!

Apparently she had the attention of several Heralds. Elpsis might not be able to see the eyes that were upon her, but she could feel the expectant gazes. Seeing the gaggle of young initiates surge forward, their voices competing for her attention, she could not help feel self-conscious. Elpsis was by no means a shy wallflower, but she was unused to this sort of attention.

It was why she did her best to avoid public speaking. "Uh...yeah...sure," she said lamely, fumbling for words. Doubtless her Mother would have been able to make herself heard. She would have commanded unruly, eager apprentices, found the right words to say without even needing to think about it. At least that was what Elpsis thought. She was not Siobhan though.

Suddenly Nyssa was at her side. "Take a breath, don't stammer. Do not try to please everyone. You're in control. Let them know it," the Pureblood said in her deep, gruff voice. She did not particularly care for this excursion, but she did not like Elpsis looking like a fool, as nice a colour as red was on her. She had to admit that the empath's butt looked great in her tight pants.

"Alright, quiet," Elpsis found her voice at last. "I can show you a few things, but I can't have you all speaking out of tune, otherwise you'll have to go back home without having learned anything new, and we don't want that, right?" she asked rhetorically.

"I've channelled fire since I was young. It's a part of me. I imagine it's the same for you. We draw upon our inner flame, stoke it until it is red-hot, envisage what shape it should take, then unleash," as she said these words, a fireball formed inside her right palm. It rushed up her sleeveless arm, morphing into a firebird. Said fiery bird flew to one of the students. Parlour trick, but looked nice.

"When you're heating an object, you're not just pouring your own flame into it, you're using the object's own heat to do most of the work for you. Focus on it, feel it. Fun fact, this even works on blasters. It's actually easier because they use tibanna gas. Agitate it enough, and whoever's holding it has worse things things to worry about than burnt fingers," she took a breath.

Damn, this was a lot of talking. How did Siobhan do it? "Now, let's, uh, find a spot and some tools to train. You can give me your names and skills. One at a time," she added hastily, just in case she had to deal with a sudden chorus again. So many voices speaking simultaneously made her nervous.

As for Nyssa, she found herself with the High Priestess. "I am Sith. The blood of the ancient courses through my veins," she declared proudly. She was a true Sith, born of a noble family that could trace its line back to the days of King Adas the Sith'ari. Before the Jen'jidai subjugated her people and stole their heritage and the Jedi almost drove her race to extinction.

"The Force is a gift to the select. It is the power I use to attain strength, honour, glory and triumph. It strengthens my body, quickens my movements and sharpens my mind so that my opponents may me felled by my blade and I may know the sweet taste of victory." Who knew she could be this verbose? She could also use the Force to drain another's life force, but she did not mention that.

If nothing else, the young ones who had been so eager were quickly chastised even if that wasn’t what their guest had meant. They quickly filed in to a perfect order, picking up weapons as directed and settling in to a much more manageable group around their impromptu teacher. If Rael were the type to smile, she might have then - eager students, even the older ones in the back who so often liked to pretend they were above it all. Heralds in their own right. She did, of course, feel some level of guilt for putting Elpsis on the spot. But she was doing very well - experience? She’d have to ask.

Nyssa however, was keeping her plenty occupied for a moment.

Those Heralds that travelled off Maena to spread the Flame brought back tales of these Jedi, these Sith. Maena had their equivalents she supposed, in the Last Fathers and the newcomer like the New City’s proprietor, Xiangu. Rael had sat down with the latter - a deeply unpleasant experience, though in a way the Nautolan would have difficulty describing. The meeting itself had been exceedingly polite and productive, and she had been shown around and treated like an esteemed guest. Xiangu hadn't been anything like what Rael had expected, which was important because with the Eyaer possibly making moves, the Heralds had needed to reach agreements with all the players on the world. But she’d thought to find a more forceful and boasting woman. Instead she'd met someone polite and socially dexterous - as if she wasn't trying to avoid possible confrontation so much as figure out how to win it.

There was something of that in Nyssa, Rael thought - a casual and assured superiority. To the older woman however it was all, of course, folly. The only true ancient power was the Flame, the wisdom of their ancestors, and Xoth-Za’s teachings. All else was distraction, the work of the enemy. Ice, water - numbness to warmth. But she was interested in the philosophy nonetheless.

“Do you have a God? Someone from whom your power stems?” She’d heard dozens of accounts of false deities and had gotten very good at being tactful in dismantling illusions, at helping people find Xoth-za. She hoped for these two, Nyssa and Elpsis, now more than ever.

________​

Eight hundred thousand years. Shahmaran was the oldest living example of her people, the most closely connected to the day Idd-yha erupted and changed the face of Maena forever. Even still, nearly a million and a half years separated that event and the birth of the olive-skinned girl who would go on to continue the legacy of her kind. They dwindled, but her memory did not. Eyaer were exceedingly proud - arrogant, some would say. And never seeing her people at their greatest glory didn't mean she didn't long for the good old days.

And there was a large obstacle in the Heralds.

Talos snuck his way forward. She hadn’t been sure she’d ever convert him to reason. Like most Eyaer that still existed, he’d once been stubborn about working with others. They hated each other nearly as much as they hated everyone else.

(Oh but the fear of the Stone lies above all else; they are afraid of what it will bring, of the nightmares that haunt all Eyaer since the day their ancestors found that black curse. So they follow her, and her promises and soothing whispers that they can stop it all before it’s too late.)

She watched as the brash younger man (75,000 years - a child) leaped across a narrow magma flow to grab on to the stone wall across it, scaling it ahead of his companions. He disappeared over the top, surely sneaking along the edge of the Herald compound as quiet as if he didn’t exist. He reappeared scaling the wall of the largest building, the Temple itself. Crawling over the roof, getting somewhere central and placing his hands down to feel the stones…

The power that slammed out of Talos was immense, the sort of shock that had once shaped this world. It threw him backwards, away from the massive hole he’d blown in the temple ceiling. Shahmaran could only imagine the damage the falling stone must have done inside - a projectile of that size cutting a brutally determined path through bone, flesh, precious artifacts. It was a shame that the Heralds didn’t write anything down to destroy, but it hardly mattered if they themselves weren’t around to remember it. Talos had moved to another section, blasting another section of the roof down so hard it shook the earth, pummeling whatever was unfortunate enough to be in its path.

By the time the alarm had sounded, the five remaining Eyaer had made it across the lava to drag themselves over the lip and in to the compound.

_____​

Rael was ripped from Nyssa’s answer by the monstrously loud explosion that rocked the temple complex as the roof of the Temple itself fell in at one section. She was barely getting a grip when the second came, and the alarm sounded.

“Someone on the roof!” came a shout, and Rael’s stomach knotted with combined rage and dread. Cowards! Attacking where we train Initiates.

“It’s an Eyaer! Eyaer!”

When Rael turned to the courtyard of Initiates, all she saw was a sea of scared eyes.

“Caleb,” she barked, immediately taking command, “you take the newest Initiates to the far end of the complex. Masters Yayou and Lee will know to go there to defend anyone if this were ever to happen. Atsuko,” her gaze turning to the best of their trainees, “you will take the rest to support Master Siko where he sees fit.” She received nods from the two addressed, and held a hand up to hold the group before dismissal. “Fear is natural, but remember - Xoth-za only gifted one people, and it was us, not them. And we have defeated them before! We will do it again! Go!”

Atsuko led the more experienced of the initiates off, a far more hardened group than that which followed Caleb. To be frightened was natural when faced with an old legend of dead monsters, but anyone who had looked in to the Flame for any period of time would fight tooth and nail for the will of Xoth-za, to protect their holy land. A moment of grappling with the suddenness of the moment was all that was needed before perspective shifted to the task at hand.

And that just left…

Finally she looked to the two women she’d unknowingly pulled in to what was about to be a warzone. “I don’t have time to explain to you exactly what is happening, but you heard that name. The Eyaer were the enemies to our ancestors, long-lived. Nearly immortal. They cannot be killed by anything but complete destruction of the brain, complete. They will regenerate faster than you can hurt them. This will not be easy, and if you choose to turn around and take those speeders back to K’rylland and further, no one here will hold it against you.”

A thump so powerful that it unseated the stones of the courtyard, forcing Rael to lean forward to balance herself, cascaded through the ground.

“But you’ll want to choose quickly,” she said through gritted teeth, a spear materializing through the Force in her right hand before she turned to run towards the sounds of battle.

[member="Rael Rus"]

Arrogance was often paired with an insecurity it did its best to obfuscate. Nyssa considered herself a True Sith. A pure one. She could trace her lineage back to warlords who had fought along King Adas, expanding the domain of the Sith and repulsing the vicious Rakatan. Some members of her family had even claimed that Hakagram Graush, last King of the Sith, was a distant ancestor.

Yet what how much meaning did this have now? In a day and age where the Purebloods were a minority and most people who called themselves Sith did not possess a drop of Sith blood. Her own house was gone - and deep down she knew that its collapse was to a significant degree her own fault. Yet she had sworn to restore it, and not bow to latter-day Jen'jidai. The irony that she had hooked up with a woman who considered Sith her mortal enemies did not escape her. But then from Nyssa's perspective they were not 'true' Sith. Sith was a race.

"No, I have no deity I prostrate myself before and plead for succour from. I believe in what I can see and what I can touch," she responded. The Pureblood spoke in a deep contralto. "The Force is no god. It is an energy field the gifted can touch and bend to their will. There are no deities in the sky or beneath the earth. Just the Force, those who command it and the rest. There is the Light for the meek, the Dark for the strong. If you wish to debate religion, Elpsis will indulge you. No doubt she will yap your ear off about spirits, visions and goddesses."

xxx

Meanwhile, the acolytes had settled down into a calmer, more orderly and thus more maneagable group. This was beneficial, especially for Elpsis' nerves. Her performance anxiety had been reduced to an acceptable level and she did not feel she looked like a tomato anymore.

"If you commit to fire, be prepared that someone else will use it against you. Or that your moves can go awry," she spoke, echoing Rael's earlier to them. "The first step is endurance. Directly channelling heat into an object - or a person - takes more concentration than tossing a single fireball. And you must experience this technique yourself prefer you can use it best."

Each of them carried metal objects. The weapons and implements were third or second rate. The kind of stuff that would be no loss to the Heralds if it got burnt beyond repair. "So...," she paused for a moment, gathering her thoughts. She was not a natural teacher and it was a bit difficult to put something that she did on instinct into words. Book learning had never been her forte. "Close your eyes. Paint a picture in your mind: Imagine a boiling heat, picture the metal burning red-hot. Heat spreading across your hand like wildfire. Feel the power."

Because she figured it was best to participate and thus demonstrate, she had picked up a dagger. As the words left her lips, the weapon's hilt began to be flooded with boiling heat. It soon spread, surging up her hand. The burn was vicious, but she held on to it. "Hold on as long as you can." Where an acolyte struggled to put her instructions into actions, she helped them reach the boiling point.

"Once you've succeeded...you can pair up and..." She never got to finish her sentence.

Boom.

Words were ripped from her by the monstrously loud explosion. It rocked the temple complex and tore a portion of the roof asunder. Then there was another. Amidst the chaos, Elpsis heard one cry loud and clear. “It’s an Eyaer! Eyaer!” Elpsis did not know who or what an Eyaer was. However, she sensed the fear that gripped the students. Her empathy meant she could not blot it out.

In a blur, Rael had crossed the distance and taken control of the situation, giving orders to the Heralds. Nakamura, looking resolved, was among the trainees who flocked to Atsuko, determined to do battle against the invaders. As she addressed the outsiders, there was a thump so terrible that Elpsis almost toppled over. Elpsis looked at Nyssa, then the High Priestess. "I don't run. We'll help," she said.

"Worthy challenges. Finally," Nyssa declared, sounding...exultant. Reaching for her scabbard, decorated with ancient blood runes, she drew a Sith sword.

They would need all the help they could get.

The Heralds took oral tradition very seriously, most of their teaching focusing on spreading the word to every initiate who’d proven to stand up against their training. Theirs was not a culture that entrusted knowledge to a select few, like wise women or only the scholars. Every member heard every story. If one died, the history of the Heralds did not die with them. It would take eliminating every one of them to erase what was known. It was the stories of the Eyaer that rattled through Rael’s mind as she sprinted towards the loudest commotion.

The Temple was surrounded by a cloud of dust exhaling from the piles of rubble within, smoke from extinguished fires pouring out of the entrance as those inside who’d evaded the initial barrage ran out in to the daylight. There was a determined order to the directions they took once free - initiates to their stations away from the main and valuable complex with several Masters to fight as one, more Knights and Masters to armories, otherwise immediately pulling together as had always been planned.

That was the strange thing - only a few of the enemy, and yet as much a challenge as facing an entire army of men.
Quietly, Rael shared Nyssa’s sentiments; a worthy challenge. To prove Xoth-za’s might.

Around the right corner of the Temple’s facade, ten Heralds stood in a circle with an Eyaer at its center. Fire - so hot that streaks of white licked through yellow and orange - roared from the simple instrument of their hands, shaped to wreath and obscure the enemy completely. The roar of devoured oxygen was almost loud enough to drown out the Eyaer’s cackling. (They feel pain child, but not like you and I. Centuries of life have warped them - there is no sensation they haven’t felt and overcome, and know they will overcome again. They are damaged.)

Another massive shockwave took the grounds as the Eyaer at the center of the circle seemed to snap the air around himself and send everyone in the vicinity flying. His skin was burnt to a cinder, cracking and weeping as he got up from his crouch and took in the devastation around him. One of the Heralds had hit the Temple wall so hard that her skull had bloomed open, a bright red splotch that seemed to make the creature smile. It was Rael he noticed as she leapt to her feet, spear rematerializing.

“Oh I know you!” he said as if there was true familiarity there. “Hey,” he shouted, trying to captivate her attention as he walked towards her casually - as if the world wasn’t falling down around him. “Hey! Have you heard your god lately?” There was a note of goading there, as if implying he knew something she didn’t. Bile rocketed up her throat, rage - fiery and unstoppable - igniting her. She did not dignify his question with a response, instead moving her spear to guard her body as she lowered her center of gravity slightly. She would fight this one to the death, personally.

Taking the invitation for what it was, the Eyaer lowered himself as well and then started barreling towards her as if to intercept her middle and knock her over. Analyzing her options, she was nearly as taken off guard as the Eyaer was as the visceral hiss-pop-crack of an arrow passing through his right eye and getting stuck halfway out the back of his skull sent him reeling to the side. The quickest glance over her shoulder revealed Atsuko nocking another arrow and looking to the next target before she looked back to the stumbling Eyaer and rushed him, swinging the spear to try and knock him off his feet and begin the dirty work of crushing his skull.

____________________​

Shahmaran used the chaos of the battle to her advantage, a lone wolf even among her own people, trotting along the edge of the Temple towards its billowing entrance. There were rumors the Heralds kept an artifact here, something supremely important to them. She had to hand it to them - they at least kept their valuables so scattered that she’d spent years even figuring out where the first one was. But it was one of her goals: to steal their memories. To erase them from themselves before she eradicated them. She would make it painful.

She was mostly sure she was unseen in the din as she slipped inside past the fighting. Once she was done in here, she would personally oversee the executions of the younglings and Initiates rounded up once the Masters had been eliminated.

____________________​

As for Elpsis and Nyssa, it wouldn’t matter that neither of them wore the distinctive red chainmail of a Herald, or the red clothes worn by Initiates. All that would matter to an Eyaer was that it was not them. They would not be spared the telekinetic blasts - but ah, the irony! A place Siobhan Kerrigan would never help considering how stained by Matsu it was, crawling with individuals she’d innately understand how to combat. Hopefully some of her prowess had taught Elpsis how to fend it off.

[member="Rael Rus"]

There was pandaemonium, slaughter, bloodshed. Pain, fear, hatred - Elpsis felt it all. Vividly. Viscerally. She felt the emotions of others as keenly as her own. Time, training and many, many painful experiences had given her a measure of control over her empathy. So that she would not be at risk at collapsing while people were being blown to bits and getting their limbs cut off.

A badly burnt, but still fanatical Eyaer unleashed a huge shockwave. Elpsis was close enough to be knocked off her feet and sent flying. Pain shot through her chest as she hurtled through the air, feeling as if the wind had been knocked out of her. Her ribs howled in protest. The Force wrapped around her as she impacted upon the ground.

The Force - or a divine power - screamed a warning and she had the presence of mind to roll out of the way when a pillar collapsed upon the ground. The impact caused a column of dust to rise into the sky. Breathing in dust caused her to cough. As she regained her bearings, Nyssa grabbed her hand, pulling her up.

"You're alive? Good. Remember how I told you that it was a stupid idea to come here? I take it back. This is the best fun I've had in ages." Elpsis' head hurt. Blood dripped down her cheek. Nyssa's aura radiated joy. The Pureblood was exultant.

"Nyssa, not the time," the empath growled. "Let's kill someone."

"I love you when you're like this."

Ignoring the Pureblood, she surveyed the field of battle. "That one," she decided, spotting a female Eyaer cutting through Heralds. "I go range, you up close once I've roasted them." Having spoken thus, she pulled upon the tangled web of power that was the Force. Vesta, give me strength. Its energies caused blazing heat to surge through her body. Meanwhile, Nyssa took off.

Elpsis' hands were on fire. Then a charring wave of flame rippled from her towards the Eyaer. The blast knocked her off her feet and slammed her into a pillar. The Eyaer wrapped her body in stoneskin, but even so her skin was burnt and cracked. Fire invaded her eyes, screams echoed across the courtyard. Screams and laughter.

Her appearance grotesque, the Eyaer struck back. There was a deafening roar, like the sound of thunder. The true nature of it soon became clear when the ground beneath Elpsis was torn asunder. She stumbled, tried to retain her balance, but then was pulled into the chasm, falling.

The Eyaer's charred, but slowly regenerating lips formed a sadistic smile. It looked particularly morbid given the grotesque nature of her face. However, she could not enjoy her succcess for long, for a large rock shot towards her from behind. It slammed into her back and sent her down to the ground, where fires still raged. Swiftly Nyssa crossed the distance in a powerful leap.

Her Sith sword drew blade as she slashed. But rather than show any sign of pain, the Ejaer remained unfazed. Undaunted, the Pureblood attacked anew, letting her rage flow through her. It gave her focus, amplifying her speed and strength. Sword strikes were intermixed with bursts of telekinesis. A strike to the Ejaer's elbow sliced across the forearm and a vicious Force-kick seemed to unbalance her. But where she scored cuts, they were closed swiftly. Indeed, pain seemed only to strengthen this creature.

Dodging to avoid a downward chopping blow for her hands, the Ejaer suddenly switched gears. Wrapping herself in a skin made of stone, she moved like a blur, ramming Nyssa with tremendous force. The Pureblood managed to grab ahold of the Ejaer, but lost purchase upon her sword and was sent flying. Ouch. Her body was a mass of pain. The Ejaer was upon her. A strong hand sought to grab her throat. She sunk her vicious teeth into it. She lost a tooth or two in the process as the skin hardened, but got some breathing space, using it to jab a knife into the Ejaer's eye. Grabbing ahold of her arm as the weapon pierced her eye, the Ejaer twisted it so hard to make her cry out. Gathering all her strength, she headbutted the Ejaer.

Deep in the chasm, Elpsis came to. Blood dripped down her forehead. Her ribs roared in protest. Forcing herself to get up, she stood on shaky legs. But she heard the sounds of battle clearly. Breathing in, she pulled the Force into her muscles and leapt, pulling herself up. Her ethereal eyes perceived Ejaer and Nyssa locked in vicious struggle as both traded heavy blows. Nyssa was not doing well. She could feel her faltering.

Elpsis roared, and her mind slammed into the Ejaer's. Her application of combat mentalism was not a subtle one. She lacked the fine control of the spider. She was a blunt, straightforward operator. Her mind was fire. Honed into a mental thermic lance glowed white-hot. She sought to shove through her adversary's mental walls into her midbrain.

The sound the arrow made when it peeled out of the Eyaer’s skull, ripped free by his careless hands, could be heard even over the crash of battle all around them. Maybe it was just how unnatural it was, dizzying if one stopped to imagine what that scratch of arrowhead against the inside of a skull must look like. But she didn’t have time. It would only be moments before the thing walking in human skin was up again. Foot on its chest, she stabbed downwards over and over, spear singing as she tried to split his head right down the middle and crack him open.

He writhed underneath her, laughing the whole time.

The spear connected with the left side of his head, sheering a great bloody mass of flesh down to the bone with it. His skull gleamed wet and red-white and she angled her next thrust to punch through it but he m u r m u r e d

“He talks to me now. We took his bones and he screams for help--”

Her scream of rage came at the same time her spear drove for that wet red spot but he exploded before she could manage, another rocking burst of telekinesis sending her flying. The spear dissolved in her hands as she tumbled end over end, something low and hot sparking inside her as the words repeated over and over in her head. We took his bones...we took his bones...we took his bones…

She hit the ground with a sickening thud, chainmail sparking as her body skidded a dozen feet before she came to a stop just by the edge of a giant chasm. She didn’t see Elpsis below, and by the time her head cleared she wasn’t there anymore anyway.

A cough wracked her body, and she felt something shift to a place it shouldn’t be. There was a puddle of blood leaking from her head and she realized one of her lekku had been severed. She had more than average, it was no great loss, but still… We took his bones..

She rolled up to her feet, shaking off the immediate pain in pursuit of driving these animals away from the Temple.

Rael found Elpsis and Nyssa just as the weight of a mental attack fell over the immediate area - thank the Flame however, not directed at her. If it dampened the area there was no telling what being on the receiving end was like. Her gaze tracked to whoever was so unlucky --

Shahmaran’s daughter.

There were two of them: Mahin and Parvahneh. The latter was the eldest, at nearly four-hundred thousand years old. Mahin - the one grappling with Nyssa - slightly younger. At some point the Eyaer had been thought extinct, to have killed each other until there was nothing left. It was this family however, led by a matriarch that had driven Rael to seek out Matsu Xiangu’s agreement to help, that had been watched most carefully by the Heralds of the time. Then all had gone quiet. And now…

What Rael wanted to say was ‘it won’t work. she’s nearly immune - her mother is the most powerful manipulator of minds we’ve ever known, maybe the galaxy has ever known. she has taught her daughters to resist, through horrible trials. it won’t work!’ But she feared breaking the other woman’s concentration would only make matters worse.

Mahin however, seemed to stutter - perhaps surprised that something had touched her mind at all, that she felt something. There was a second where she seemed tempted to turn her head over her shoulder to see who had tapped her. But instead she went harder for the woman who’d stabbed a knife through her eye. After all, if someone was willing to throw that kind of power at her, the woman in her grip must have been very special! Blood coursed over her face, threatening to steal her breath as it poured of her nose from inside her skull and in to her mouth as she inhaled. She thought her nose was broken actually - that headbutt had been something.

Channeling the Eyaer’s natural affinity for telekinesis, she used it to make the movement to try and rip the Sith’s arm she’d already been grappling from her body far more powerful than it would usually be.

Rael sought anything - with Nyssa that close to Mahin, there was little either she or Elpsis could do that wouldn’t put the Sith in the crossfire. And then.

“Her armbands,” Rael called to Elpsis. “They’re stone!”

Eyaer worshipped the antithesis of the Herald’s belief, sanctity in the Earth itself. But if working together Elpsis and Rael could heat the bands enough to make the rock explode? It would buy them time.

Rael poured all her anger, all her rage at the attack, the male Eyaer’s words, the injustice and cowardice of attacking the Temple, of the act of stealing in to turning the bands on Mahin’s arms in to molten circles - that evenually, when heated enough, would simply explode and hopefully get Nyssa free.

[member="Rael Rus"]

Her mental attack slammed into the Eyaer. For a moment, it seemed to pierce her mind. The super-empowered alien seemed to stutter. Perhaps a bit surprised that someone could have touched her mind? However, that was all Elpsis got. Rather than turn to face her mental assailant, the Ejaer attacked Nyssa with renewed fury.

Anger surged through Elpsis. Anger at the Eyaer, and at herself. Rage was not the Jedi way, but she had walked away from those hidebound hypocrites more than a decade ago and never looked back. She needed to do something! Nyssa was...hard to like. She was rude, grumpy, bigoted and enjoyed violence way too much. But she was her friend.

Rael called to, alerting her about the woman's stone armbands. Elpsis could feel the heat surge through the Herald as she sought to will the rocks to explode. Elpsis was about to join her fiery assault, when words Rael had spoken to her a few minutes ago returned to the forefront of her mind. "Nearly immortal. They cannot be killed by anything but complete destruction of the brain, complete."

"The brain...I got another idea," she spoke through gritted teeth. She poured all her fury and rage into the attack. Such was the effort that her red mane seemed to ignite, catching fire of its own accord. Likewise, the dark orange lines on her face seemed to glow with a fierce light. Intense pain shot through her, but she persevered. She sought to transfer that apocalyptic, rage-filled heat straight into the Eyaer. A fireball could be absorbed. Earth was the ideal counter for fire...but temperature manipulation was less obviously countered, albeit extremely draining. If nothing else, it would suffice as a debuff. Hopefully. She went straight for the brain. She wanted to make it cook until it melted.

Meanwhile, the Eyaer had seized Nyssa's arm in a crushing grip with the power of stone. Such was her strength that the Pureblood could not move. She flailed helplessly, unable to remove her arm from the grip or go on the offensive and attack the stone woman. Her knife had fallen from her grasp, and was now out of her reach. Violent expletives in Sithese escaped her tongue. Dying to strange alien demigods was not the worst way to die. But not the way she intended to. She still had to restore House Vykaris to its former glory and raise it to untold heights. And teach Elpsis some sense.

As it happened, the Eyaer had gripped her sword arm. The hand she was demolishing was her dominant one...her cybernetic. There was enough flesh and blood left in the arm for Nyssa to feel pain. The crushed arm was beyond broken. It was useless. The metal hand was being crushed. She could feel ripples in the Force as heat surged through the Eyaer. Her armbands glowed red-hot. Cracks appeared inside them. She seemed to be heating up.

When all paths laid out before you were folly, audacity was the only course to embark on. That was a fancy way of saying desperation. So she let the droid hand go - literally. An act of will was all it took to detach it. The Eyaer was left with a good portion of Nyssa's primary arm. Mayhaps this unbalanced her a bit. In this moment, Nyssa struck with her left. Fuelled by her intense, burning rage and the strength of the Force, she tried to ram it into the Eyaer's face, aiming to plunge her claws into her undamaged eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom