Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Plasma Surgical Scalpel

Status
Not open for further replies.
DE27pHC.png
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Cornerstone Scientific
  • Model: N/A
  • Affiliation: Closed Market
  • Modularity: None
  • Production: Limited
  • Material: Durasteel, plasma
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Knife
  • Size: Small
  • Weight: Very Light
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Plasma blade that can change in shape, length and width
    Min length: 1.5cm [~.06"]
  • Min width 0.1mm [100μm]
  • Max length: 7.5cm [~3”]
  • Max width: 2.5cm [~1”]

[*]Can dial between intensities
[*]Grooved durasteel handle for advanced stabilization
Strengths:
  • The plasma scalpel’s blade is adjustable and able to change shape, length and width for precision cutting down to micrometers.
  • The plasma blade can easily slice through most types of skin and tough hide as well as the chitin shells common to many insectoid species.
Weaknesses:
  • Because a plasma blade is weightless, surgeons must undergo specific training with a plasma scalpel as it handles differently than a traditional durasteel scalpel.
  • Has a battery life of ~20 hours before the battery must be replaced or recharged.
  • Potential to overheat and shut down.
DESCRIPTION
The plasma scalpel is a surgical blade designed to replace the traditional durasteel scalpel. While metallic blades have their place, the plasma scalpel’s design allows it to cauterize as it cuts which helps to coagulate blood vessels and divide tissues. Surgery with a plasma scalpel is by definition less bloody and more precise given that the blade can be adjusted along varying levels of intensity and size, allowing only necessary cutting to be done. The blade of the plasma scalpel can easily slice through human skin as well as hides of tougher and more naturally armored races (Geonosian, Givin, etc.)

As a weightless blade, the plasma scalpel is not for everyone. Though it offers many benefits in the realm of surgery, there are quite a few who are skeptical of its uses and swear by good old fashioned durasteel blades. Indeed, the plasma scalpel can be difficult to wield without hours of practice, leading a surgeon to inadvertently destroy tissue or a vessel with one wrong move. Depending on the nature of the cut, mistakes made with a plasma blade can be more difficult to repair than that of a durasteel blade.

The battery life of a plasma scalpel is around 20 hours while used on medium intensity. The battery life may be shortened or extended depending on what levels of intensity are used. This could prove to be an issue during particularly lengthy surgeries. In addition, overuse of the plasma scalpel may cause it to overheat and shut down.

The plasma scalpel can also be used, if necessary, as an impromptu weapon. In this regard, it is something of a mix between a traditional vibroblade and a lightsaber. Like a vibroblade, it has a standard knife shape when at it's maximum dimensions, though the blade is not solid as it is made of plasma nor does it have vibration capabilities. Though made of the same material as a lightsaber's blade, a plasma scalpel is comparatively weaker in intensity and will have a more difficult time cutting through anything but the lightest of armors at it's highest intensity unless cuts are repeated. Any race with a chitin exoskeleton may provide some resistance against the plasma scalpel, but the level of defense would depend on the relative strength of the exoskeleton in question. The plasma scalpel will short out if it strikes cortosis or leather.

Gir Quee said:
[member="Farah"], what are your thoughts on this being as used as an impromptu weapon?
I feel like in the right hands, this could be a deadly weapon given that it's basically a mini lightsaber. But the IC target crowd for this product are doctors and medical professionals, people that generally don't know how to fight or aren't trained in fighting using a weapon with a weightless blade (though I'm sure there are exceptions!). I'd imagine that when used in a fight by it's target group, most people would have some level of difficulty with it and may be clumsy enough to injure themselves.

Also, I used the weapon template because I felt that it made a little more sense given that this could potentially be used as a weapon. Let me know if I should change it or add in a bit about potential combat capabilities :)

[member="Gir Quee"]

[member="Farah"], I have no objections to using the weapon's template for this. There is a certain doctor in SW canon that used a similar scalpel as an impromptu weapon.

If there is a chance that this could be used as a weapon though, I'd like to see that addressed within the submission itself. How does it compare to a traditional vibroblade in such use?

Farah said:
The blade of the plasma scalpel can easily slice through human skin as well as hides of tougher and more naturally armored races.
I'd like to hear a bit more about its abilities against "more naturally armored races" here if it can be used as a weapon.

Gir Quee said:
If there is a chance that this could be used as a weapon though, I'd like to see that addressed within the submission itself. How does it compare to a traditional vibroblade in such use?
I've added in the last paragraph in my description, hopefully this will cover it:

Farah said:

The plasma scalpel can also be used, if necessary, as an impromptu weapon. In this regard, it is something of a mix between a traditional vibroblade and a lightsaber. Like a vibroblade, it has a standard knife shape when at it's maximum dimensions, though the blade is not solid as it is made of plasma nor does it have vibration capabilities. Though made of the same material as a lightsaber's blade, a plasma scalpel is comparatively weaker in intensity and will have a more difficult time cutting through anything but the lightest of armors at it's highest intensity unless cuts are repeated. Any race with a chitin exoskeleton may provide some resistance against the plasma scalpel, but the level of defense would depend on the relative strength of the exoskeleton in question. The plasma scalpel will short out if it strikes cortosis or leather.
I've also added onto one of the strengths to mention that it can cut through chitin shells in addition to the tough hides and human skin already mentioned in order to flesh it out more. I've also added the minimum length and width for the blade in addition to the already existing maximums listed. If these don't fly I can delete them :)

[member="Gir Quee"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom