Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLANETARY OCCUPATION PROPOSAL

PLANETARY OCCUPATION GUIDELINE PROPOSAL

Rather than have attention focused on individual planets, I've decided to come up with an idea that is somewhat unique for all of you to mull over and consider. Whether or not this is implemented will decide on the majority, so don't be afraid to discuss it before we put it to a vote!

Here is the plan.

Open THIS link and you will see a very rough sketch of a false galaxy map that I have drawn up in Paint (obviously the real thing will be much prettier). These sprawling empires are how I believe a Star Wars universe should look, rather than a pockmarked galaxy of sporadic planets from across the galaxy that are billions of miles away from each other and make no sense to be in the same alliance. So... the question is how would we get these sprawling empires and maintain them without having an official planet list?

The answer is what I call Sphere of Influence.

In the center of the galaxy, you will notice a red Empire. For our example, we will call it The Empire. You'll notice an X over Coruscant, which would indicate that the planet is considered to be the Capital of that Empire. You'll also notice that dozens of smaller planets that most of you have never heard of are inside of their territory, as well as a few major planets like Duro, Corellia and Kuat. These major planets would be what would essentially expand their sphere of influence and outline, roughly, their territory. Whose to say that a major planet is? Well, Canon I suppose... but they will also develop to become major planets as the galaxy changes and wars start to break out. Essentially the red bubble that is the Empire doesn't expand through planetary takeovers. It expands through role playing the conquest of entire sections of space centered around major planets.

Immediately you will think "well, aren't the major planets going to be huge targets?"

Yes and no. That's kind of the point. Depending on the opposing faction's goals, they may ignore a planet in one area to focus on another. They may not have ACCESS to one planet due to cultural borders and may have to literally carve through your Empire just to reach it.

For our example, let's say that the large sprawling Green empire to the South is The Horde Invasion. You'll notice that their capital doesn't exist. That's mainly because they are bent on galactic conquest and constantly moving, so they do not consider one planet a main base as they are always on the move. You'll notice lines of red and green to indicate disputed territory. This could indicate that their is heightened political tension in the area, a cold war, or that the Horde has actually launched a massive invasion of that chunk of space that hasn't been resolved yet as battles are still ongoing.

You'll also see other empires indicated by the larger and smaller spheres of influence that they have chosen, expanded to, been given through diplomacy, or forged peacefully as well so the possibilities for expansion are not limited to fierce battles and aggressive planetary takeovers. Jedi and Rebels do not have any mutual borers at the moment, and they have been peacefully negotiating in the north east creating large protectorates and sprawling alliances with multiple planets. All of this is done through role play. They can be labeled as takeovers, or campaigns, or diplomatic missions... whatever you want to call them. But as long as the role play itself is carried out and it is explained how your territory expansed, peaceful or aggressive, your expansion will be discussed and approved with the Cartographer once a month, and the map will be updated with all updates. If role plays (such as battles, invasions, massive campaigns, etc) are still in progress at the end of the month, a disputed area will appear indicating that the area is contested.

Now... for invasions. You thought earlier that major planets that expand your sphere of influence would be huge targets. And you're absolutely right. Coruscant, for example, is always a major target. But, as you can see, the Horde has been forced to push in from the south and attack smaller outlaying planets like Thyferra, Fondor, and the colony worlds before they can reach Coruscant so that they don't aggravate the teal Empire. They are still growing and cannot afford to face both the Empire and, let's say the Chiss Ascendancy together. Their main target is Coruscant... but they have to role play EXTENSIVELY to get there, allowing the empire (which may have a few inactive players) AMPLE time to role play their strategic retreat into the deep core where they are more heavily fortified. Since the deep core is an almost in navigable mess, they would have to push west and further irritate the Chiss, or play it safe but longer and go east through Duro, and Corellia... IF they make it that far. Beyond that, they have several smaller outlaying systems to appease before they make the push to Kuat where they have another stunning battle, further increasing their territory and sphere of influence, and make their final push for Coruscant.

Here is a summary of the idea.

Sprawling empires are created through role playing, not takeovers. When you role play missions, battles, or whatever to planets, your sphere of influence grows and your territory expands to cover that area. If you wanted to take a planet on the opposite end of the galaxy, you'd literally have to carve a path to it or your empire will be severely divided and open to invasion on all fronts.

My Proposal

[*]Core Factions (Empire, Rebellion) select three major starting planets close together which become their initial territory.
[*]Expanded Universe/Custom Factions (Non-Core Factions) select 1-2 planets and grow according to what I have outlined.
[*]Force User Factions select one planet to start from, and can choose to create their own sprawling empires (like the Sith) or forge a lasting alliance with a current faction (Jedi/Rebels) and seek to expand only if they choose.
[*]Expansion is optional, and you can simply stick to one planet, or whatever sphere of influence you build that you are happy with.
[*]Maintainin gyour sprawling empire depends on your roleplaying, and your factions roleplaying. if you're attacked and you don't defend your territory, it will slowly fall.... and you could potentially be pushed from your capital.
[*]If you lose your capital territory, you must select a new capital, provided you still have territory left. If you do not, you must figure out a way to reclaim new territories/planets, or face being a nomadic race.
[*]
[/list]In the simplest terms, factions don't need faction lists. We don't need planetary takeovers. Role playing will decide what the Galaxy looks like, and we will all agree to work together for the sake of role play and story line.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Additional ideas?

I have additions to this at a later time when we discuss another issue, but that's only if necessary.

Interesting?I mean.... it's a discussion that will shape the rules of this community on takeovers so all input is welcome. It's nice that Art is letting us shape the community and not have him say "This is my rule, like it or not you can deal with it or leave"

XD I was still reading it. Anyways. I really do like that concept. Something I always thought would make more sense then just owning planets scattered everywhere. One thing I do want to do with the Jedi though, if I am going to go with this idea of mine of the jedi order-in-exile, then the Jedi wouldn't have any particular territory, but have temples and enclaves scattered all over the galaxy in hiding.

Alt swarming would be considered god-moding under the rules. No reason that you should have 5 alts in the same faction in the same battle. That's what NPC's are for.Samara, you can pretty much role play anywhere in the galaxy that you choose. Evading imperials while in imperial territory would be very interesting. Finding Jedi across many planets would be wonderful as well. And any faction can choose to not have a planet (Pirates, Crime Empires, etc). Everything is strictly on how it develops and you can always change that at any time by claiming one.But it ALL has to be done IC.

Besides, since this system could be very spread out with multiple battles taking place on multiple fronts..... everyone isn't going to be thrown together into one huge major battle unless it's a pretty fucking EPIC battle. Small battles can lead up to them, but even if you tried to alt swarm, it could back fire when you're flanks are open.

Makes the most logical sense.(*Gasp* Logic!) It would also help the unrealistic taking over the planet but not the system/surrounding planets. It makes no sense for the Rebels to take over Coruscant and just be one big "dot" in the middle of enemy territory. Actually having to work and make inroads into systems makes for a much better system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom