Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Pieces

13245-B57-29-EA-4826-82-E4-9384-B5-CF62-A7.png

PIECES
Aftermath, Pt. I

GAPostBreaker.png

Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble
Soundtrack: The Fall of Reach

D381-EDA7-9991-452-F-9476-613421-A2-C693.png

“Tell me what happened, Padawan Corso,” the medical officer said gently as she looked over his charts.

“Anything you can remember is helpful.”

But Cailen couldn’t remember. Everything that happened after he fainted at Kaleth was a haze of disjointed memories that felt ancient and distant. The mountains were vivid in his mind, the crunch of gravel beneath his boots still fresh, but why he was there he couldn’t recall. He remembered an Alliance trooper pulling him into a shuttle… his hips were marred with rosy bruises from where the man had lifted him.

A cold shiver jolted down his spine as the cannibals surfaced inside. Master Undara had killed them, restoring a small piece of justice to the soldier they’d devoured. He ruminated on their faces, covered in sinew and blood, before snapping back to reality. He couldn’t find words to describe them to the officer.

“I… I’m sorry, I don’t really remember all that much,” Cailen said hoarsely. His throat was still irritated, making it painful to swallow and speak.

The medical officer pecked on a datapad before looking to Cailen.

“That’s okay,” she said with a smile. “You’ve been through a lot. It may take some time for things to resurface.”

“Your readings are normal, but I’d like you to stay for a little while longer so we can keep an eye on your condition.”

Cailen nodded his understanding. She asked him a few standard medical questions before leaving to check in on her other patients. When the door slid shut behind her, Cailen swung his legs over the edge of the hospital bed and lowered himself down. His head was throbbing as he glanced around the room. There was a comfortable-looking bay window with a view of the courtyard outside; Cailen crossed the room and climbed into it.

He tucked his knees under his chin and tried once again to dig up the memories his subconscious mind had buried after the battle.

EA69538-A-0-F7-B-4-F07-8809-87-E4238-BDAF5.png

Cailen closed his eyes and began to meditate. He slowed his breathing and tried to slip out of his own jumbled thoughts. The Force was strong on Prosperity, making attunement easier to accomplish. In no time, Cailen was drifting along its currents. He could feel droplets of rain speckling his cheeks and a cold mountain breeze blowing through his auburn hair. Gravel and rocks crunched beneath his feet. Thunder rolled in the distance. He remembered a strange sensation, like a tug-of-war inside him, and a strong emotional pain he’d never felt before.

Undara had carried him much of the way, and echoes of the safety he’d felt from his Master swirled around him.

He remembered the platform, the hum of the shuttle’s engines. A strong presence was there, something dark and evil. But just as he was closing in on the missing piece of his memory, the door slid open again.

The medical officer had returned, a warm smile on her face.

“Padawan Corso, you have a visitor here to see you.”

Standing behind the doctor was a face Cailen hadn’t seen in months… Master Valery Noble Valery Noble .

Last edited:

Appearance: Link
Tag: Cailen Corso Cailen Corso

The battle for Tython was over.

Many Jedi and soldiers had lost people close to them or sustained grave injuries themselves, but Valery had gotten through it relatively okay. Her mind had been assaulted by the Master of Ren she had fought alongside her husband, and some of those effects lingered, but physically she felt perfectly fine outside some bruises and minor wounds.

Her husband, however, had broken both of his legs and lost his cybernetic arm. He was in far worse condition, but luckily stable and now being helped by the medical staff as well. He'd soon be up on his feet again, so after spending some time with him, Valery left him to the medical personnel and decided to follow her senses to another familiar presence.

A young Padawan she had met a few months ago.

"Hey Cailen," Valery said with a soft, and somewhat somber smile as she followed the nurse into his room. Her eyes shifted quickly between the boy and his bed, and a brief flash of concern could be seen across her features.

"Mind if I talk to him alone for a moment?" The nurse shook her head, and left them be for the moment.

"You should probably stay in your bed, Cailen. Get some proper rest," Valery said with the motherly tone she usually had only when she was talking to Padawans. She then stepped over towards him and placed a hand on his shoulder, "How are you holding up?"

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen’s disheartened expression changed to a soft smile as Valery Noble Valery Noble entered the room. He hadn’t seen her in months, since she guided him through the Gathering. He remembered fondly the conversation they shared over hot cocoa in the icy temple on Ilum; He wondered if she’d come to comfort him now as she did then. But… how did she know he’d be here?

“Hi, Master Noble,” he said in a near whisper.

"You should probably stay in your bed, Cailen. Get some proper rest.”

Cailen didn’t answer, instead offering an apologetic frown. The stinging in his throat had begun to creep into a lingering pain that made speaking difficult.

"How are you holding up?”

The Padawan pulled his knees in tightly, a mix of confusion, frustration, and sadness in his eyes. He looked to Valery, clearly upset but unsure as to why.

“I feel so… mixed up,” he said quietly.

His green eyes were fixed on Master Noble, red and puffy from crying.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I can’t remember much from Tython, and I’ve told the doctors all I know, but they keep asking for more.”

Cailen winced as he pushed out the words.

“I tried to meditate, but… something’s not right. I can’t-“

He stopped abruptly as his eyes filled with tears.

“I can’t connect to the Force like I could before.”

A single tear streaked down his freckled cheek as he steadied his breathing and tried to calm down. It was a technique Master Undara showed him to help him stay cool and collected when he felt overwhelmed.

After several moments of silence, Cailen spoke again in a softer tone:

“I’m scared, Master Noble.”

Last edited:

Valery remained perfectly quiet while Cailen looked up at her and explained his situation. While Tython had survived the Maw's brutal attack, few had come out of it intact. Physical injuries were difficult enough to push through, but it was especially the way war affected the mind that made it all so difficult. Such scars never truly faded, and the fragmented mind they left behind could potentially never be healed.

In Cailen's case, it had done something to his memories as well.

"It's okay to be scared," Valery said, her voice soft and comforting.

She then walked over to him, and slowly lowered herself so she could sit beside him, her side gently touching his with the hope it would be comforting. Her fiery eyes then shifted down to him, but they lacked their usual spirit. For how intense they looked, there was something soft and calming about them now.

"What happened on Tython, all the death, the pain, the despair — it can affect how we feel things in the Force, and what we feel. You may struggle now but with time, it's all going to come back to you." She hoped to reassure him with that a little because she understood how difficult this could be to a younger Jedi.

"The most important thing now is that you're alright. You survived, and you'll get better to help others another day."

GAPostBreaker.png

The Padawan sighed softly as Valery joined him on the bench. Her presence was calming, and it helped him push through the emotions that swirled around inside him. The fiery intensity in her eyes seemed gentle now, like the embers of a hearth after burning through a long night. She reassured him that his connection to the Force, though damaged from the Dark Side influence on Tython, would be restored in time. Cailen gave her a gentle smile.

"You think so?" he asked, more excited than doubtful.

"I hope it comes back soon. I've tried reaching to Master Undara, but it's like there's... nothing? I don't know how to explain it."

The boy pondered for a moment before elaborating.

"We've been separated before," he said, "but I've always been able to sense a faint trace of him. Now, it's as if I can't feel him at all. Do you think I'll be able to connect with him again once I've gotten better?"

Cailen looked up at Valery, his eyes hopeful and curious. Maybe the interference on Tython was hindering Master Undara's connection to the Force as well. The last time they were together, Undara said he'd been summoned to Akar Kesh to aid in the Alliance defense effort; Perhaps the Dark Side had sullied the Jedi Master's connection to the Force, just as it had to Cailen's.

The Padawan's mind began to race, parsing the different reasons for why Undara had been unreachable since he'd been brought to Prosperity.

"I'm sure it will be back soon, don't worry."

She smiled a little at first but at the mention of not being able to feel his Master, Valery went quiet and her expression turned more neutral, then somber right after. Following the battle on Tython, she had been sent a list of those who were confirmed dead or those who were missing, and the name of his Master had been one of them.

For a moment, she considered not telling him — to give him more time to first recover and then find out. But what he was telling her said it all. Jedi can feel those close to them, and if he regains his connection and still can't feel his Master, then the shock would only hurt more. So with a sigh, she made her decision and looked at him.

"I'm afraid not, Cailen," Valery said as she looked him in the eyes and shifted close.

"I came here to support you through your recovery, but I have some bad news to share as well. Your Master fell during the Battle protecting you, as well as the planet." She let those words linger for a moment, and reached to gently squeeze his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry."

GAPostBreaker.png

Soundtrack: A Thousand Empty Rooms

"Your Master fell during the battle..."

Master Noble's words seemed to linger in the air like snowflakes in winter, drifting slowly between the two Jedi. On the outside, Cailen remained motionless, but inside...

Inside, he felt as though he'd been jettisoned into the cold, airless vacuum of space. His limbs felt numb, his chest tightened, and his head began to swirl as a flood of powerful memories exploded into recollection. It made him dizzy, and for a moment, he felt as though he was going to faint again. The room began to spin, and he lost his balance. The boy grabbed onto Valery's forearm, steadying himself as the emotions he'd buried burst like bombs in his mind.

"He's... no..." Cailen whispered as he stared into Valery's eyes.

He hoped - wished - that she was lying. Playing a cruel prank on him. Teasing him, like the bullies on Anaxes when he was young. She had to be. Because if she wasn't - if she was telling the truth - then his mentor, his teacher, his best friend was truly dead.

"You're wrong," the Padawan spat.

"You're wrong! Master Undara is alive!"

Cailen tried to stand, but the sudden motion made him unsteady. He fell to his knees, holding a hand up to stop any attempts Valery might make to help him. Tears welled in his eyes and dripped onto the floor as the painful truth taunted him. He tried to push through the Force, calling out to Undara, but there was no use. Only silence answered his cries.

"...protecting you, as well as the planet."

It was his fault. The memories were piecing themselves together as the tears ran down his cheeks. A Sith warrior had intercepted them on the platform. She challenged his Master to a duel, and Undara was slain trying to defend him.

"I just stood there," Cailen thought bitterly as he replayed the awful scene in his mind.

He tried to speak, but the words were caught in his throat. All he could do is weep. Weep for the loss of his Master. Weep for the guilt he felt. Weep for the life he was robbed. The Padawan looked up at Valery, trying to see her clearly through watery eyes.

"I'm so sorry."

"He can't be dead," the boy whispered.

The moment the news struck the young boy, Valery could feel something through the Force that reminded her of only one thing — the time she watched her own Master get killed. But when that happened, she was already a Jedi Master herself and training her own Padawans. Cailen was still young, with a long life of training, adventure, and helping people ahead of him. For him to lose the one person who was supposed to be his guide now... she couldn't quite imagine that pain.

She could only feel it swirling within the young boy.

"You're wrong! Master Undara is alive!"

Valery frowned and moved to help him when he sunk down to his knees, but his own hand stopped her from doing so. She just stood there for a moment, watching him as the news only began to settle in more. He couldn't feel his Master, no matter what he tried. So even though he wanted to believe that she was wrong, he started to realize that it was true.

"He can't be dead,"

She stepped closer again and lowered herself while her hands moved to gently pull him against her chest. There weren't any words that could easily provide comfort, so she wanted to just be there for him, to let him slowly but surely find a place for the awful news, "I know how hard this is, Cailen, and I'm so sorry you've had to go through this." She pulled back from the embrace and looked down at his teary eyes.

"But don't blame yourself for it. Master Undara gave his life to do what all Jedi have sworn to do — to protect life. He cared a great deal about you and his sacrifice showed just that. He wanted you to live so you can grow, help more people and live to fight another day."

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen dropped his hand, allowing Master Noble to pull him close. The sudden realization that Undara was truly gone, murdered by the Maw, made his arms and legs feel weak. He thought he would be sick, but Valery's embrace calmed him. She reminded him of his mom, of how she'd hold him and tell him to stay strong when things were tough. After a moment, the Padawan's sobs slowed and the boy was able to finally catch his breath.

Master Noble released him, looking into his eyes. She consoled him, explaining that Undara's sacrifice was not in vain. The boy nodded gently as he listened, but he couldn't help but feel responsible for his Master's death.

"He died because of me," Cailen reiterated.

"I was too afraid to help him, and he died trying to buy me time. I c-couldn't - " he gasped, still trying to maintain his breathing after the emotional episode he'd experienced.

" - I couldn't even get in the shuttle on my own. I h-had to be pulled into it," he went on, his hands finding their way to the bruises on his waist.

Cailen's entire body felt sore, but it was nothing compared to the aching in his heart. His spirit was desperately seeking his Master, even though he knew the truth. He felt lost. And then he began to worry - what happens to Padawan's who don't have a Master?

He looked to Valery, who sat patiently beside him.

"W-what's going to happen to me?" he asked through labored breaths.

"Will I go back h-home now?"

A fresh stream of tears ran down his cheeks as he swallowed hard, his next question almost too difficult to ask.

"Am... am I still a Jedi?"

Valery looked down and brought an arm around the boy's shoulders. He was starting to accept what had happened to his Master, but he expressed fear of the future now instead. Tears began to roll down his cheeks and after he asked her whether or not he was still a Jedi, she finally reached for his cheek with her thumb and gently wiped away a few tears.

"You're still a Jedi, Cailen, and you're going to become a fine Jedi Knight someday," Valery said with a soft, almost motherly tone.

"Master Undara might not be able to finish your training, but if you agree to it..." she paused a moment and rubbed the sides of his shoulder, "I'll continue your training, as my Padawan. I know I can't replace your old Master, and I understand this might be difficult to think about now, but the offer will always be there for you. Whether you decide to accept it now or want more time to think about it."

Her eyes briefly turned to the medical bed, and she considered taking the moment to guide him there. But she decided against it — this was difficult enough as is, and she could offer him comfort like this.

"But no matter what your decision will be, you aren't going to be forced to go home. You are a Jedi."

GAPostBreaker.png

Cailen closed his eyes tightly as Valery wiped away the tears that streaked his freckled cheeks.

"You're still a Jedi, Cailen, and you're going to become a fine Jedi Knight someday,"

Her gentle words helped to mend his heart, easing some of the fear that had overcame him. Cailen wished it'd all just go away. All the pain, the emptiness, the guilt...

Master Noble continued:

... If you agree to it, I'll continue your training, as my Padawan."

Cailen's eyes opened, the proposal catching him by surprise. He straightened his back a bit, trying to appear somewhat formal as he searched for something to say to the Jedi Master. After several moments, he looked to Valery and spoke.

"You'd... you'd really want me as a Padawan? After what happened?"

Master Noble was nearly legendary among the New Jedi Order. Becoming her Padawan would be an immense honor, but Cailen was unsure if he deserved the opportunity considering how he'd failed Master Undara on Tython. The guilt alone of surviving his Undara was enough to make the Padawan question his value to such an esteemed Jedi, never mind his lack of formal training. The months since Cailen had last seen Master Noble on Ilum had been a non-stop series of lessons, training sessions, and study designed to expedite his Padawan training. It was all for Tython.

"It was all for nothing," the boy's subconsciousness interjected.

"I'm too burdensome, Master Noble, I... I'm barely even a Padawan."

"You'd... you'd really want me as a Padawan? After what happened?"

She just nodded and smiled, "Of course, it would be my pleasure. When you visited me on Ilum for your gathering, I felt that we had good chemistry, and you have a lot of potential as well. I would really like to continue your training," she said but after a brief moment of silence, there was some doubt in him again.

Valery leaned back a bit and just looked at him with a soft smile,
"No, you're not barely a Padawan. If you accept my offer, you are going to be my Padawan, and I will make sure to see your training through to the end." She stood up and extended a hand for him to take so he could get back up to his feet as well.

"What do you say, Padawan Corso? Would you like to finish your training under my wing?"

GAPostBreaker.png

"Of course, it would be my pleasure.”

Master Noble mentioned the first time they met on Ilum, when she guided Cailen through the Gathering. He’d felt the same chemistry that she did, a connection in the Force that was unique to those attuned to it. The Padawan had sensed it too, but he never mentioned it to anyone, including Master Undara. In hindsight, he wondered why, but it was just another unresolved thread now that Undara was gone.

Valery gave Cailen a smile as she corrected his negative line of thinking. He was a Padawan.

He is a Padawan.

“If you accept my offer, you are going to be my Padawan, and I will make sure to see your training through to the end.”

And he could be her Padawan, if he chooses to be. The darker parts of his mind and heart still gnawed at him, branding him a failure, a disappointment, a lost cause. But as Master Noble rose to her feet and extended her hand, he felt a spark of confidence.

"What do you say, Padawan Corso? Would you like to finish your training under my wing?"

Cailen looked up to Valery, his face still damp from crying. He held her gaze for a moment, trying to process all the what-if’s that shot through his mind. He decided to put them all aside. A tiny smirk crossed his face as he met Valery’s hand with his own, pulling himself to his feet.

He offered her a courteous bow, despite the sharp pain in his abdomen. Master Undara’s words echoed in his memory as he recalled a recent lesson:

“A Jedi Master deserves a bow, Cailen. It is a sign of respect not often exemplified by Padawans nowadays, but it is a simple gesture that acknowledges your reverence of the Order and the sacrifices a Jedi Master has made.”

Cailen gave Valery as big a grin as he could muster.

"I’d be honored to train as your Padawan Learner, Master Noble," he replied.

It felt so strange to say aloud. Only months ago, he’d made the same pledge to Master Undara. And now, here he stood in Prosperity’s medical bay, making the pledge again.

This time though, it’d be permanent. It had to be. For Master Undara.

As he held Valery’s fiery gaze, he now realized just how big of a challenge he had before him: He now had two Master’s expectations to meet.

Last edited:

The moment the young Padawan bowed, Valery didn't smile just because of the way he traditionally showed respect and appreciation, but also because she felt a shift within him through the Force. He was still saddened by the loss of his first Master, as any Padawan would be, but there was a spark of hope that had ignited within him now that she offered a place at her side. They had the chemistry, the willingness to learn and work together, and so all that remained was the accepting and final step forward.

A step the Padawan was willing to take.

"I'd be honored to train as your Padawan Learner, Master Noble,"

Valery smiled and bowed her head deeply in return, "Then from this point forward, you can consider yourself to be my Padawan. As my student, I swear that I'll do whatever I can to teach you, protect you, and help you on your path to becoming a Jedi Knight. In return, I only ask that you do your best, and remain open-minded to my teachings and those of other Jedi."

It was likely a simple thing to accept for him, given how respectful and kind he was. But this was simply a small part of what she liked to cover with her Padawans prior to their training.

"Your first task will be simple though — recover." She chuckled and patted him on the shoulder, "So that means you get back in bed and do what the nurses ask you. The sooner you're healthy and on your feet again, the sooner we can get to exciting lessons and even some missions. Does that sound fair?"

GAPostBreaker.png

Master Noble's smile helped calm the Padawan's nerves, and as she reciprocated an honorable bow, he even felt a semblance of normalcy. Of rightness. After raising her head, Valery made their partnership official.

"... From this point forward, you can consider yourself to be my Padawan."

Cailen smiled warmly as he listened intently to his new Master's words. They were comforting and uplifting, just as Master Undara's were.

"I swear that I'll do whatever I can to teach you, protect you, and help you on your path to becoming a Jedi Knight."

The Padawan nodded his understanding, absorbing the gravity of her promise. It was one he'd heard before, and as she spoke, he couldn't stop his mind from replaying the first time he'd met Master Undara on Tython. Just moments ago, he was terrified of being worthy of calling himself Master Noble's apprentice, but now a darker fear began to rise...

How could he be certain she'd always be there to protect him? Undara promised the same thing, yet here Cailen was, alone, without his Master.

It was something he'd have to evaluate later. He fought back the tears, keeping the emotions at bay, but his physical state revealed how exhausted he was. His unsteady legs were weak from the exertion of walking about the room - and from falling to the floor. Cailen swayed slightly on his feet, a motion Master Noble undoubtedly noticed.

"Your first task will be simple though — recover. So that means you get back in bed and do what the nurses ask you. The sooner you're healthy and on your feet again, the sooner we can get to exciting lessons and even some missions. Does that sound fair?"

Cailen cast a glance to the hospital bed, then back to his new Master. He wasn't keen on laying about all day - it gave him far too much time to dwell on the events of the previous day - but she was right. If he was going to get better, to restore his damaged connection to the Force and begin his training, he'd need to rest and recover. He gave her an affirmative nod, before weakly saying:

"Yes, Master, that's fair."

He smiled as he stumbled past her, his tiny frame walking slowly toward the bed.

Valery knew he didn't want to get in the bed — she didn't need the Force to understand it either, but she didn't blame him for it. In the same position, she was often a bit difficult about getting proper rest and time to recover herself. He was much younger though, and what he had gone through was far beyond just getting physically injured. She wanted to make sure he took the time to process as well, and a full physical recover was of course crucial too at the start of a new path of training.

"Here, take this," Valery stepped up to the bed after he climbed into it, and offered her personal holocomm signal. "If you need me at any time, this will be the easiest way to quickly reach me." She smiled and adjusted his pillow and blankets to make sure he was comfortable. It wasn't something she thought about, but simply did.

"For now though, get some rest and I'll visit again tomorrow. Maybe I can bring something to help pass the time too. I know how frustrating it can be to sit in bed all day." She smirked and shot him a knowing wink. But she did finally step away and turned to leave him be for now. The nurses were there to help him and she'd always race back to the hospital if he called her too.

He was her Padawan now, and that meant she was always going to do her best to be available for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom