Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Picking up the pieces

Sometimes, when she closed her eyes and the world was very still, she could almost hear voices from a time forgotten. Blurry images plagued her mind. While names of people she should know sat on the tip of her tongue. All a collection of her early life, a life that was shattered into a million pieces and scattered to the wind. Even still, these memories persisted but actually remembering them was like looking through frosted glass.

Riley opened her eyes and the cybernetic irises came to life like green fire. She was in her room onboard an NIO medical frigate, bound for some area ravaged by the Brotherhood of the Maw. Around her was complete silence, enough so that ghosts from the past tried to claw their way back into her memories. She could never pin these phantom memories down no matter how hard she tried. Recently, however, she discovered something, well someone, who would be able to put these phantoms to rest or bring up more.

An image flickered to life in front of her. It was an image of a woman with very similar facial features as Riley, with the exception of long ginger colored hair. Laura Reese Laura Reese was her name and to Riley's surprise, they were twins. So much of her previous life had been destroyed that she had even forgotten she had a twin sister. For the longest time she didn't know who her family was or if she had any left, so this...this was huge. Laura was not just her twin sister but a major link to her past.

There was one major hurtle to conquer though, and that was actually meeting Laura. Half that problem was solved when she was given the opportunity to take a mercenary contract for the NIO. A small fleet of relief vessels were being sent to provide aid to areas affected by the Brotherhood of the Maw. These vessels needed guards and wouldn't you know it, Laura was going to be on one of them. Riley jumped at the opportunity and, with a little haggling, she managed to get assigned to her sister's group. With that "small" step completed, she had to tackle the big task. Meeting her twin face to face.

Riley turned off the image before pulling on her helmet and leaving her room. She wasn't exactly sure what to say when they met. What exactly could she say? One idea after the other played through her mind, each sounding worse than the last. Then, all to quickly, she was standing outside the medical room her twin and the rest of her group had set up. Well....it was time for the meet and greet. Not as Riley Reese, but as the bodyguard assigned to keep them alive. With a hesitant hand, she knocked on the door.

This trip might actually be a good break given everything going on. The Maw was hitting the GA and NIO with everything they had, leaving nothing but destruction in their wake as they plunged deeper into the galaxy. There were a lot of planets left behind with their populace in desperate need of medical aid, not to mention the amount of people not accounted for. It was going to be a long journey, but at least she wasn't going to have to run around in the middle of a warzone... sort of. Reports suggested that there could still be remnants or splinter groups still in the areas they were being deployed to. If it wasn't for that, she could have put on something more comfortable.

But instead she was geared up in the bulky, horrible armour not exactly meant for people like her. It was a soldier's armour, not meant for teenagers with the figure of a plank. Same with the rifle. Sure she could use it if she had to... didn't mean she wanted to. At least the medics weren't expected to actually be soldiers with this mission, the soldiers and mercs hired for this mission would see to that department.

She was going to have to thank them all with a packet of cookies after the mission.

Laura and the others were in the briefing room when someone knocked on the door. It slid open and the gentle smile of Laura met the merc on the other side. "Hey! Guys were just asking me to go get you. Come on in." She stepped aside to let the soldier through before she rejoined around the briefing table.

"Alright, we're all here. It's standard stuff, everybody. The doctors set up their field hospital, we'll help with a location, and they do their thing. Medics, you'll stick with us as we move out. A unit will stay with the doctors to help out and keep an eye on the area, as well as any patients brought in. Maw troops will be priority, we don't know if one of 'em will cook off a grenade in there. The rest of you, you'll work with the medics. Look for civvies, Mawites, Imperials, anyone who is injured and-or trapped in rubble. We got gunships for medivac on standby if needed." The commander explained to the doctors and medics, as well as any of the officers and mercenaries in the briefing room.

Laura occasionally glanced over to the merc with a curious gaze. She was small... and thin. Not at all the type that she expected. But if someone was a merc with a build like hers, she was likely very dangerous.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

She was ready to meet her twin. Sure she hadn't figured out what to say or exactly how to approach the situation, but she'd work through it. Then the door opened and there she was, Laura, her twin sister. This was no longer an image of a sister she couldn't remember, no made up ideas of what she was like, this was her real flesh and blood twin. Riley was not ready

Riley tensed at the fact that Laura was just a few feet away and speaking to her. She wanted to say something, but she just couldn't force herself to do so. Instead she just gave a nod and entered the room.

Like everyone else, she gathered around the briefing table, but unlike the others, the words spoken were only half heard. She had been through such things before and this one seemed no different. Riley's main focus was on Laura, watching her out of the corner of her eye, which she could do freely thanks to her helmet. Laura looked as if she was doing pretty well for herself, at least at a first glance. Although she did look out of place wearing the armour she had on. Mostly likely due to the fact that she was a medic, but medics also needed protection. Laura's glances her way didn't go unnoticed by Riley, but what exactly had drawn Laura's attention to her? There was no way she could have known who Riley was, she would definitely have reacted differently.

Her gaze turned back to the briefing table as people began to disperse. Well, she guessed it was time to face her sister. Riley turned to Laura and let out a slow breath as she took a few steps towards her. Each step seemed to bring her stomach into greater knots. She fought back the nervousness and spoke as she came to a stop in front of Laura. Thankfully for Riley, her helmet gave a slight distortion to her voice, making it harder to identify. "You must be Laura?" She held up a small data chip with Laura's information and picture to show her sister.

When the briefing concluded, Laura gave a gentle nod and pulled out her datapad to make some notes. Summing up the mission at hand in her own way, making comments on said notes, checking her list of gear she needed to remember. "DOUBLE CHECK" and "DON'T DIE" were certainly the most important ones for the girl as she idly tapped away on her datapad, not really checking if someone was in her way as she made for the exit.

She nearly bumped into the curious merc as she came to a halt in front of her. Looking up, she blinked in surprise at the faceless helmet before she lowered her datapad. "Can I, uh, help you?" She asked rather stiffly with a kind smile. The smile and surprised demeanour gave way to complete and utter confusion when the mercenary suddenly brought up her name along with a photo on her data chip. "Uh, y-yeah... that's me." She stammered with a worried frown as she studied the mercenary. "I... I need to go." She excused herself, quickly shuffling past the girl with one last confused glance over her shoulder.

She had never done anything wrong in her life. She always stuck to the book, always tried to do the best she could, the only time she got drunk in her life was at that college party!

Why did this mercenary know her name? Why was she looking for her? It was extremely rude to just rush off like that... but it wasn’t normal.

Quickly making her way to her personal quarters, she tried to look calm and collected while trying to get away from the stranger...

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Did....did she say something wrong? Riley knew she wasn't good at this stuff, but still even this reaction confused her. Why did her twin become nervous and walk away when she.....oh. She now understood exactly what she did, and now her twin thought she was looking for her based on something less....desirable. Let's face it, no one wants a random mercenary looking for them unexpectedly. This mistake needed to be righted and quickly.

Riley hurried after her twin before she got too far. "W..wait, Laura. I should explain things. You're not in trouble and no one is looking for you." She caught up enough to Laura to walk beside her. "I'm...not the best with people, well I mean interacting with them....and never mind. What I was going to say, is that we're in the same group. I've been hired to help protect you. I'm Riley." The fact that she said her name so offhandedly made her cringe a little. Sure she wanted to meet her twin, but she didn't want to throw it out there like that. She wanted to...well she wasn't sure, but it didn't start out like that. Even if things were going a little awkwardly right now.

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Laura nearly busted into a sprint when she saw the woman come running up to her, though she seemed to only want to talk. She relaxed a bit and slowed her pace, though the girl's explanation certainly didn't help to put her entirely at ease. At least the both of them were equally socially awkward by the look of things, so that was... something.

The girl finally introduced herself and Laura blinked in surprise. "Uh... nice to meet you, Riley." She offered a hand to the girl with a nervous smile. "If you're in my squad then why do you have a picture of me, though?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. It still didn't exactly sit right with her... and no matter how hard she thought back, there was no instance that stood out to her where she could have gotten a bounty on her head. Another coincidence was the girl's name. Small galaxy, this was.

"You know what? It's fine. Just don't start like that again, I was gonna call security on you for a second there." She admitted with a light chuckle, hoping to diffuse the awkward situation. "So you're coming with us? Makes me feel better. I'm a doctor, not a soldier... well, sort of a doctor." The more she spoke, the more she eased up as she walked with the girl to her quarters. "I just wanna check my stuff over one last time. I don't wanna miss anything." She admitted before she entered her quarters... closing the door behind her. Inside, she rested against the door with a shocked expression. Taking a deep breath, she reassured herself that she was simply overthinking it. "Just a briefing picture. That's all it is. Nothing weird..." She said to herself, going over her kit a few more times. Once she was satisfied, "DOUBLE CHECK" was ticked off and "DON'T DIE" got a few more lines underneath it.

She emerged from her quarters with a smile as she motioned for the girl to follow. "Alright, let's get to that shuttle." She perked up, walking with the girl.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Riley was a little bit...well, a lot actually, embarrassed about the situation. Especially after Laura said she was about to contact security and that Riley shouldn't start the conversation the way she did. "Yeah....I'll...remember that." Hopefully not for a next time because there shouldn't be a next time for trying to meet her twin. She tried pushing the awkward start out of her mind and focused on the now.

She was a doctor, sort of, as she stated. Riley had to admit that her twin had done better then her in life goals. Not that Riley really had a choice for one as a child and now that she was free to do what she wanted, things were a little challenging to figure out. She didn't know what she wanted to do, considering everything she knew was combat related. Laura, however, seemed to have followed her dreams and achieved them quite successfully so far. In a way Riley was glad her sister wasn't a soldier and by the sounds of it not the best combatant. That means she never had to suffer what Riley went through.

The two arrived at Laura's room, where, Laura quickly retreated. This left Riley alone with her thoughts for a fee minutes. Hopefully just a few minutes and that she didn't scare her twin away, that would have made things a lot harder. The few minutes of quiet wasn't exactly the quiet she was used to. So many questions, fears and other anxieties ran wild in her mind. Her stomach seemed to knot more and more with each passing thought.

The sound of the door opening caused Riley's gaze to snap to Laura. She gave a nod at the suggestion to head to the shuttle. A voice in her head told her to start asking questions about...things. What those things were, she didn't know, but it had to lead up to her revealing who she was. Riley opened her mouth to ask a simple question, but was cut off unexpectedly. A small tremor ran through the ship. Seconds later a blaring alarm filled the hallway, followed by an automated emergency broadcast. They were under attack. The culprit? Pirates. Riley clenched her fist in frustration. "You have got to be kidding me..." She mumbled to herself. Of all the rotten luck, it had to be pirates. Right now of all times! Riley turned to Laura. "I need to get you and the rest of the group to safety. Where is everyone else?"

Laura Reese Laura Reese

The walk was pleasant enough, all things considered. Laura wasn't a fan of awkward silence but she was certainly not socially equipped to break it like the more outgoing folk. She knew that she needed to learn that seemingly unreachable skill if she hoped to make a good doctor. Occasionally she glanced to Riley, trying to think of something to say. What did she do in her free time? Was the mercenary business good? Those didn't exactly sound like good topics to start off with... then again, she had nothing better.

She was about to ask her about her job when the ship suddenly shuddered around them. Laura halted and looked around in confusion. "What was that?" She asked Riley, looking to her. When the alarms started to blare through the ship, her heart sank and her eyes went wide. "Um... UM..." She looked around as a bunch of troopers ran past them. Riley asked about the rest of the group, though it took Laura a moment to figure it all out. "They're probably by the hangar, I think." She finally answered, drawing her pistol and clutching it with both hands. "Are we seriously under attack?" She asked Riley as she stuck close to her.

"Who is it? We're a medical ship, why would people be attacking us? Is it the Maw?" She rambled, making sure not to get left behind as they set off. "Do you think we're gonna have to-" The ship shuddered again and the lights went out for a moment. Almost immediately metallic thuds echoed as the enemy ship pulled them in to board.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Great, this was just great. She had signed on for this job to meet her twin for the first time, well sorta. Now she actually had to do that job which could put Laura in danger. Riley wasn't going to let that happen. She was going to protect her sister at all cost. First, they needed to reach the hangar. "Alright, let's get to that hangar."

The duo hurried through the halls of the frigate. Each shudder and groan that echoed through the vessel singled the growing danger of impeding boarding parties. Riley kept alert for any signs of danger, but still tried to answer some of her twins questions. "I'm not sure who it is, it could be any number of pirates roaming the area. A medical vessel like this can make an easy target." Her full attention was brought to what was happening in front of them. A loud thump echoed from a hallway that split off from the one they were on announced that an object had attached to the hull of the ship. Riley halted and kept Laura behind her just in case. She was glad she did as the wall detonated outward in flame, smoke and twisted metal. The boom echoing loudly down the hall. Grabbing ahold of Laura, pulled her to the wall so both their backs were pressed against it. She almost held her twin there as the sound of footsteps charged out of the new hole in the wall and into the hallway. The number was hard to count, but there were quite a few. Most stayed where they were, but a few headed the other direction away from her and her sister, but unfortunately in the direction they needed to go. These pirates now blocked their path to the hangar, the only one Riley knew anyway. She peeked her head around the corner and counted five pirates, definitely not Maw. Turning to Laura, she spoke quietly. "Wait here, don't come out till I say. If things go south, well further south, find another route and run."

She moved closer to the corner and ready her blaster carbine. Pulling a small piece of metal debris from the floor, she began to tap it softly on the corner. This caught the attention of one of the pirates, with blaster raised he cautiously made his way towards them. Riley counted each step until he was close enough, then....she tossed the piece of steel around the corner at head height of the pirate. For a brief second he was caught off guard, a brief second was all Riley needed as she charged around the corner. Two rounds lanced from her carbine and struck the pirate in the chest. Before he hit the ground, Riley grabbed ahold of him and used his body as a shield. Blaster carbine sticking put from under his arm, her strong cybernetic legs powered forward toward the other pirates. Her carbine firing rounds at the surprised pirates, taking them down one at a time before they could get a good shot at her. The hallway was clear but it split into a T up ahead. Reaching the T, she moved the pirates body more to her left for protection. She aimed the carbine to her right as she entered the T and opened fired on two pirates doubling back to the fire fight. Once they dropped, she activated a thermal detonator on the dead pirate and kicked him to her left at a small group running towards her. She ducked back behind the corner as the explosive went off. Leaning around the corner, she finished off those that survived the explosion before they could stand. Silence, that's what filled the hallway now, a small lull in short lived safety. "Laura, it's clear for now. We need to move."

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Last edited:
The ship protested around them as they ran through the hallways toward the hangar bay. Laura was surprised that she could keep up so easily with Riley... at least the athletics wasn't for nothing it seemed. "An easy target? You gotta be joking! I know first hand how messed up the galaxy is but come on! A medical ship?!" She cried out with frustration as she stuck close to the soldier.

She came to a skidding halt when a wall burst open and Riley dragged her against a nearby space to hide from the emerging pirates. She took deep, slow breaths as she tried to calm down from the sudden fright, her green gaze studying Riley closely. Even through the armour, the woman seemed very much cool and composed with the situation. She really wanted to know in how many fights the girl was in her life to be so calm in a situation like this. There were pirates onboard! And she didn't even seem bothered by it. She seemed more worried about her health than anything else.

She nodded frantically at Riley's command and stayed against the wall, holding her blaster close against her chest in case she needed to use it. Shots rang out around the corner and it sounded like absolute carnage. Laura thought about peaking out and trying to help the soldier, but from the sound of things it seemed to just be a better idea to follow her orders. She was the soldier, not Laura. An explosion went off, earning a surprised yelp from the girl as she jumped in shock. Through the ringing in her ears she heard Riley's voice calling to her, prompting her to carefully peak around with her pistol shakily at the ready. "Is it clear?" She asked carefully as she stepped out. The soldier mopped the floor with the pirates... her shock was quite evident on her face as she walked past them and jogged up to Riley. "This day is going into my top five of worst days of my life, I swear!" She complained further as they ran for the hangar once more.

Deciding to holster her pistol, Laura got into a steady rhythm. "Come on, this way! There's a quicker way through this-" She was cut off as she rounded the corner and stared straight into a group of pirates. Quickly stumbling back, she jumped into cover as blaster bolts zipped past behind her. "OKAY WRONG WAY!"

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Riley watched as Laura made her way to where she was standing. The shocked look on her sister's face told Riley that she wasn't in a lot of combat situations. Well, that and when she placed this into one of her top five worst days. Riley could guess what the first one was, even if she couldn't remember it herself. "It'll be alright, just stick close to me."

She followed after Laura as they made for a quicker route. The fact that Laura put away her blaster worried Riley, she opened her mouth to speak, but her words were cut off as they rounded a corner. More blasted pirates! The twins ducked back behind the corner, Riley placing herself between Laura and the danger ahead. She swore to herself for not taking point to begin with. They lost the element of surprise, so counting the number of pirates was out of the question. She handed her carbine to Laura. "Hold please." Pulling a smoke grenade from her belt, she tossed it around the corner. Holding her forearms horizontal to the floor, she activated the blades hidden within. With a soft click, sheaths popped out of her prosthetic forearms and blades shot forward from those till they were past her hands. The sound of the grenade going off and the surprised shouts of pirates and smoke filled the hall. Riley looked over at Laura. "Stay."

Without waiting for a response, she rounded the corner moving at lightning speeds. The first pirate looked up to see her closing in fast. He gave a shout of surprise and raised his blaster. Riley was close enough that the pirate only fired one shot, a shot that missed as she spun out of its way. She completed the spin just as she got level with the pirate, blade swinging out from the momentum put gracefully cut across his neck. Before the pirate hit the ground, Riley was already on the next one. The took several more pirates hitting the floor before the others realized what was happening. Some began to fire blindly into the smoke, while others tried finding a way out. There was nowhere for them to hide and no way they could get a good shot on her, not with the thermal settings on her helmet giving their exact locations. One by one they fell, until there were only two left. Riley skirted the edge of the smoke and came towards the one facing away from her. She watched as the pirate gunned down one of his own just because he saw a shadow move. Bringing the total number left to one. Like a nexu on the hunt, Riley strike fast and hard from the mans left side. He turned to see Riley just a little too late.

The smoke had started to dissipate when Riley walked out of it. Her blades still activated and her armor....well, a little less clean than before. She walked just past the corner till she was level with her twin. The blades retracted into their hiding spot. The she turned to look at Laura.
"Is there another route we can take like a maintenance shaft or something?" The sound of footsteps drew her attention. She turned just as a hail of blaster bolts flew her way. She moved into cover that the corner provided. Grabbing her carbine from Laura, she braced herself for a firefight. That's when she felt it, a burning sting from her left side. She gave a quick glance down and saw that a bolt had grazed her left side just below the ribs. She turned slightly to hide the injury from Laura. The last thing she needed right now was for her twin to be worried about her. "We need another route quick, this place is going to be flooded with hostiles soon."

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Laura blinked at Riley's commands, not exactly happy that she was being ordered around like a dog, though she did as she was told. Let the soldier do the fighting, she would just get in the way. So she hid around the corner, only peering out to see silhouettes zipping around through the smoke. The forearm blades were certainly a useful modification, though Laura couldn't help but wonder why the merc would do such a thing to herself. Why strip away her body just to be a glorified weapon?

In a few moments the fighting was over and Riley emerged from the smoke, looking rather menacing with her dirty armour and blades sliding back into her arms. "Uh, y-yeah... there's another route we can-" Footsteps interrupted her as their attention shifted to another band of pirates. Riley snatched the carbine back and opened fire on the group while Laura hid from the attacks. "Come on, this way!" Grabbing Riley, she made a run for the cleared corridor and took another turn.

The rest of the trip consisted of a panicking Laura leading the way through every and any hallway and corridor they could to avoid any other pirate groups. They finally arrived at the hangar area where the rest of the crew was pretty much in all-out war with the pirates. Shuttles and escape pods were taking off with the defenders growing smaller in number. The ship was lost, there was no arguing that fact. At least there were still some shuttles left. "Let's go!" She shouted at Riley as she sprinted at full speed for a nearby shuttle. The last one took off as well, leaving only Riley and Laura with their own ship to make their escape.

The medic wasted no time in prepping the shuttle and closing up the boarding ramp as soon as Riley was onboard. "Come on, come on..." She muttered as she flicked switches and pushed buttons. The ship finally came to life and Laura punched it, zooming away from the medical ship with rocky and shaky control. It was only when they entered hyperspace for New Imperial borders that Laura breathed a huge sigh of relief. "We're okay. We're safe now." She muttered as she removed her helmet and dropped it next to her, slumping back into her seat. She turned to look at Riley. "You okay? Any scrapes or anything?" She asked gently.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Running, it was a good plan, but also not at the same time. She was used to pain from all the years of training and battles, but the blaster wound on her side was starting to feel worse than she thought. With every step it burned and shot bursts of pain into her. Riley had to keep moving though, for her sister's safety.

Laura lead them down what seemed like every hallway on the ship, dodging past groups of pirates and the occasional firefight. Things weren't looking good for the crew of the ship, as they appeared to be drastically outnumbered. The worst of it was the hangar. Pockets of remaining crew memebers defended shuttles preparing too launch, but were quickly loosing ground. The twins avoided as much fighting as they could before boarding their own shuttle. Riley dropped into the copilots chair as Luara prepared for launch. With a roar, the shuttle rocketed out of the hangar and was soon enveloped in the swirling blue of hyperspace.

Finally, Riley could let out a sigh of relief, a sigh that turned into a grimace as the wound reminded her of its existence. Laura's voice caught her attention. Cybernetic eyes turned to her sister who had removed her helmet. Riley studied her for a moment before speaking. "I...was injured, but I should be okay. Are you hurt?"

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Laura's attention dropped from Riley's visor to the wound in her side, her eyes widening at the sight. Her question was almost completely brushed aside. "Nevermind me, look at you!" She called out. After a quick check over the system, she grabbed hold of Riley and dragged her to the mess room where she pointed to the sofa and table.

"Alright, uh... get rid of all that armour. I can't work on you with all that hardware covering you." She instructed as she rushed off to find her backpack full of medical supplies. Thank goodness she forgot about it through the scramble to get away, she never felt its weight until she sat back in the pilot's chair. She hurriedly returned and pulled out her kit, setting it down on the table before she got rid of any armour or gear that could get in the way. Her hands were also washed thoroughly three times over before she tied her hair back... and washed her hands again. "Starting to think I should cut my hair again. Always gets in the way with these things." She commented, her attention focused solely on getting everything ready to treat the wound on her saviour's side.

In strict professionalism she didn't bat an eye or let her gaze wander as she waited for Riley to get rid of her armour. She had to give it to the imperial gear... it was quick to get on and drop when needed. She always wondered how more dedicated warriors could lug around such heavy tech. Stormtroopers, Mandalorians, mercenaries such as Riley... how tough were these people?

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Protesting was pointless as Laura grabbed ahold of Riley and dragged her into the mess room. She wanted to protest, she really did, but her worries were more on the revealing who she was, not her injury. Sure, this is exactly why she was here but she envisioned it going...differently. Possibly, she didn't exactly know how it would go. Whether she was ready or not, there was no avoiding it now.

She let put a slow breath to calm her nerves as her twin ran back to the cockpit for her medical bag. Okay, time to remove her armor. This was doable. Riley began to carefully pull each piece of armor off as to not agitate her wound, and to try and keep her helmet on as long as possible. She gave her sister a quick glance when she returned. Honestly, she didn't see anything wrong with how long Laura's hair was. Then again, she herself never kept it that long.

Finally, she removed all her armor except her helmet. She hesitated, unsure what to say. Removing her helmet would finally reveal who she was. Could she do this? Yes, she had to. Turning to Laura, she hesitated for a moment before speaking nervously. "I'm going to be honest with you. I haven't been entirely....well, honest. The reason I was on that ship as a guard was too find you, basically the only reason I was there. Nothing malicious, I can assure you. I wasn't sent by anyone or going to harm you in any way."

"I was looking for you because..."
She paused and thought out what to say, but it was difficult. "I didn't have a good life growing up, it sucked actually because I was a child soldier. My entire life was....I'd rather not say right now. But it took a lot from me, both physically, mentally and emotionally. I even forgot who my family was. For the longest time I thought I was alone in the galaxy. Even after I escaped from the Hutt who took me, I just couldn't find my place."

Riley picked up the datapad with her sisters picture on it. She held it up to show her. "That was until I saw this picture of you for the first time. You are a major key to my past and I had to find you." She set the datapad down and looked at Laura. "I was kidnapped from my family fourteen years ago. I was five at the time, just like you. I can't remember my parents, their memories were erased from my mind. But....that day I lost something more important than just my parents. I lost a part of me that I didn't know I had and am ashamed I forgot about. Look, what I'm trying to say is..." Slowly, Riley pulled off her helmet. If her prosthetic hands could shake, they would have. She set the helmet down, opened her eyes and looked up at her sister. The green in her cybernetic eyes glowed brightly. Her hair was now shoulder length and pulled back into a small messy ponytail, except for the bangs that always escaped back into her face. She was slightly pale, which made her freckles stand out even more. No longer did she look like the fierce mercenary from before. Now she looked more like a anxious young adult with the nervous smile she gave her twin. "H..hi Laura. It's...been a while."

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Laura's attention was turned to Riley as the girl started to speak, though she quickly started to fear for her life again as the girl admitted to not being honest. Once more, the mercenary reassured her that she didn't mean harm and continued to speak. Laura was thoroughly confused as to what was going on. Her pistol and armour was too far away. She knew what the soldier could do, as young as she was... she wouldn't be able to defend herself.

Another curveball was thrown at her when Riley switched the topic of the story completely. She listened in silence as her brow furrowed, not sure anymore what was going on. Her gaze turned to the datapad as she tried to remember where the picture was from. She didn't live a secretive life. Selfies, photos, posts and status updates, she lived her life as much as she could inside the New Imperial Order. Then the mention of a kidnapping. Laura blinked as her heart began to race. It was impossible. It couldn't be. Her sister was gone.

There was no way...

The helmet came off and Laura was stiff as a board. Her face, her hair, all of her features apart from her cybernetic eyes... it made sense but it also didn't. This wasn't possible.

Laura trembled as her mouth opened to speak, but no sound escaped her. She was blank, unable to figure out how to react or what to say. "Y-you..." She managed to croak out as she took a step closer. Apart from the alterations and hair... they were the same, or as close as one could get. And then the name...

"Riley..." She muttered to herself, not realizing she was speaking aloud. A sharp exhale as she studied the woman for a good long while... until she remembered the wound. Thank the Force for the bloody wound. Her face fell into a cold, professional frown as she gestured to the seat behind Riley. "Let's get that wound patched up." She commented as she got to work. Shrapnel and foreign items plucked free, blood cleaned, wound sterilized, and finally bacta applied with a bandage around the patient to keep it isolated. Laura was almost tempted to redo it all again just to keep her mind focused on anything else. But one glance up at the cybernetic eyes reminded her that this wasn't something she could avoid.

She rose from her kneeling position and started to pace around as she ran her hands through her ginger hair. After what felt like an eternity, she turned to face Riley. "I don't believe you." She spoke with a timid voice. "My sister is dead. Only a few of us got away, and my sister wasn't one of 'em. You... this... no, I don't believe it." She massaged her eyes as she felt her throat tighten up. Her eyes teared up as the memories came flooding back.

That damned day, where their lives were turned upside down. When they lost friends and family, and her sister fell behind in the scramble to get away. With a shaky breath she continued to pace around, refusing to look at the spitting image of herself by the couch. "Nope... nuh-uh, I don't... nope." She pressed her head against a kitchen cabinet in hopes of forcing the memories away. The nightmares and tears, the horrors that plagued her and her parents for years, and the regrets that still clung to their little family.

The half-burnt photo of the family, when they were whole.

She had it...

She scrambled back to her bag and pulled out the old photo. One hand pressed Riley against the couch while the other held it up net to her head. Nothing changed. The resemblance didn't go away, no matter how many times she looked and blinked. "No I-I-I don't..." She dropped the photo onto the table and paced around once more as tears built up more and more...

Riley Reese Riley Reese

From the moment she took off her helmet, too the time her sister spoke, there was a very tense silence. Riley could see Laura's body posture stiffen in surprise and how she struggled for words for what was happening. The nervousness was even getting to Riley as she waited for an answer. She gave a small nod when Laura muttered her name, as if to confirm who she was.

Then her sister's expression changed and she went from shocked about what was happening to a professional expression. The biggest concern was suddenly her wound and not the fact that Riley just revealed who she was. This caught her off guard, but she complied anyway. The entire order was slightly difficult. Not difficult in the way of pain, she was used to that, but difficult as in she tried to look anywhere else but at Laura. Her wandering eyes betrayed her as they kept making contact with Laura's before she quickly looked away.

After a small eternity, her wound was patched up. But....there was still a moment of hesitation. Standing up, her twin began to pace back and forth as of trying to process what was going on. Voicing her thoughts every once in a while which, of course, was her not believing Riley. Honestly she didn't blame Laura, it wasn't every day that your supposedly long deceased sibling shows up out of nowhere. What was she to say? Would saying anything even make things better? Laura was pretty distraught right now and Riley felt useless in means to find ways too make it better. Of she could make it better that is.

Cybernetic eyes watched as Laura went to her and hurriedly pulled out an old photo before running over to Riley. She didn't protest as Laura held her against the couch with one hand and held the photo next to her for comparison. The tears became visible in Laura's eyes as she backed away, not wanting to believe what was in front of her. Guilt started to build up in Riley. She never meant to bring her sister such emotional pain from this, or any pain at all really. Gently, she picked up the photo. There was her, her sister and there parents. They all looked so....happy, so whole. This is what Laura remembered, this family, this happiness. Then Riley had to walk back into it out of the blue.

She set the photo down as the guilt grew in her even more. Standing up, she looked up at her sister, but one glance made her look away from her sister's tear filled eyes. "I...I'm sorry. I just thought..." 'Or you didn't think.' A voice in the back of her mind chided. Maybe she had been selfish thinking she could have happiness and not be alone anymore. Riley struggled a moment for words to try and calm Laura. Why was she so bad at this?! "I didn't think I was going to cause you this much pain. Apparently I didn't think at all. I'm sorry."

Almost instinctively, she retreated to the cockpit. All the while a voice in the back of her mind taunted her for running away from her problems yet again. Riley dropped into the co-pilots chair and sat cross legged. Her breathing was heavier then it should be, the guilt feeling like a heavy weight that tightened her chest. She rubbed her eyes only to find her palms wet from tears. When did she even start crying? Her eyes rested for a moment on her prosthetic hand, before looking at her reflection in the cockpit window. The cybernetics in her eyes glowed like green fore in the semi darkness. The image of herself in that photo came to mind and how much she had changed compared to now. Then her mind drifted to Laura and how she must hate her now for this. Riley set her elbows on her knees and buried her face in her palms as she muttered to herself. "I'm a damned idiot."

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Last edited:
Laura stopped for a moment to look at Riley through her fingers as she apologised. It was only when the mercenary left for the cockpit that Laura felt a new kind of pain. Realization hit her like a truck as she watched the woman leave. She had her sister back. Her long-lost sister that she believed to be dead. And now that she was back, Laura turned her back on her. "N-no..." Her voice was timid, barely above a whisper, and it was too late to stop the woman.

She stood in place for a long moment as she tried to collect her thoughts on what to do. She needed to make this right. Her sister tracked her down and came all the way to reunite with her, the least she could do was try and do the same.

She entered the cockpit as well, tears still staining her face as she looked down at Riley for a moment. With a shaky hand she turned the seat to face the woman fully as she tried to keep her emotions in check. Her lips parted to speak, but no sound escaped her except for sniffs and sobs. She gave up on trying to speak... instead, she closed the distance and wrapped her arms around the woman in as tight an embrace as her noodle arms could muster. Practically crawling into her lap, Laura held on for dear life as she buried her face into Riley's neck. Old memories, good and bad, were flooding back as she held onto the girl.

She had her sister back. She had a chance for their family to be whole again.

"Riley..." She muttered in a mix of joy and grief, trying to hug even tighter. "I got my sis back..." She sniffed, too afraid to let go of her.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Riley sat in the silence that the cockpit provided, but found no solace as her mind was bombarded with countless thoughts about what to do no. Her emotional state wasn't faring any better. She felt as if the hand of a giant was squeezing her chest for how much the guilt seemed to be weighing down on her. Tears threatened to escape and run down her cheeks. The numerous scenarios that she came.up with before didn't prepare her for this, sure she had a few in mind where Laura would get upset, which luckily hasn't happened, but nothing prepared her for the emotional shock of it all. Emotions, those things Riley wasn't the best with, always seemed to throw something at her she wasn't ready for.

The deafening silence and thousands of thoughts were broken when Laura entered the cockpit. Riley couldn't look up at her sister, couldn't see the pain and tears. Leaving her face buried in her hands, she waited for....something, but she was unsure what. After a small eternity, Laura made the first move and pulled Riley into a hug. This surprised Riley at first, causing her to stiffen up out of instinct. She wasn't used to hugs or the like, it was....oddly calming to her. Riley relaxed and returned the hug as best she could, resting her head on her sister's. The tears that threatened to fall early were now doing so almost as much as Laura's. She gave a small smile when Laura said she had her sister back. With a voice that cracked a little, she spoke. "And..hopefully not going anywhere soon."

The two hugged and cried for what felt like a long time, or maybe just a few minutes, who knew. What Riley did know was that she wanted to know who her twin really was. Sure she had seen information on her, but that wasn't all of her sister, probably not even a small part. They had been away for so long and changed so much. Technically Riley completely forgot she had a twin. Shameful in her opinion, but with good reason. She pulled away from her sister just enough to get a better look at her, at the same time trying to wipe away her own tears. "S..so, you become a medic. That..that's pretty cool."

Laura Reese Laura Reese

Laura sniffed hard as she held onto her sister. ”You better not. I’ll be very unhappy if you just disappear.” She muttered, nudging Riley with her shoulder. Once the emotions calmed down finally, they could actually talk.

Laura smiled at the question and sat down into the pilot’s seat as she turned to face her. ”Uh, yeah... it’s difficult but worth it. After... what happened... I wanted to help people. This gives me that ability. Also mom and dad are quite happy to have their own doctor in the house.” She snickered as she rubbed her cheeks. ”So, the merc thing. Did you get into that when we were separated?” She looked down at Riley’s arms and slowly reached out to take hold of her hand. She felt her hand and arms, inspected the cybernetics, unsure what to think of it.

”What... happened?” She asked carefully as she idly started to massage what remained of her sister’s organic arms.

Riley Reese Riley Reese

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom