Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picking Up The Pieces

Chance Bonaventure

C
The Outer Rim.
Nar Shaddaa,
Bounty Hunters' Guild HQ.
zb0HGo6.png
The Past
The place was a mess. There was no other way to say it. While the previous leaders had been well-versed in their trade, it appeared they lacked some basic organization. As it was, the Guild armory was overrun with all manner of things; weapons strewn about, armor thrown in corners, old flimsiplast reports and filing dumped wherever it had landed. Perhaps at one point there had been someone taking care of it, but with the armory's current state it was clear that individual had long since left.

Great. Just how I wanted to spend my afternoon.

Standing in full armor, Sidon Eshe sighed. Hands on hips, the Bounty Hunter looked over the large room, knowing that the sooner he got started the quicker it would be done. Reaching to his left, the new Guild leader picked up a stack of bounty claims, which needed filing. But before that could happen, Sidon had to determine the state of the filing system; especially since whomever had kept these records had been very old school by using physical copies. Maybe it had just been the method, and no one bothered to alter it? Or perhaps these - and the other stacks of claims - were in the process of being transferred to the HoloNet?

Either way, the armory couldn't afford so much space being used up. The files would have to be processed, converted to digital format, and the originals stored somewhere for safe keeping. Or perhaps simply destroying them once the transfer was done would be better. It didn't matter, the more Sidon thought about it, the less he was doing - so with a slow breath exhale, and arm fulls of claims and reports, the Bounty Hunter began sorting and arranging.

"Gee-Three," Sidon called, peering out of the office-turned-armory doorway at the droid without. "I need your help in here. It's worse than expected."

"Of course, Master Eshe, at once," The old droid wandered over, looking about with flickering optics. "Oh my..."

Sidon smirked inside the helmet, agreeing with the protocol droid. Handing it a stack of flimsiplast, the Guild leader pointed to the HoloNet terminal...

"Begin updating. I'm going to venture deeper into the armory."

Chance Bonaventure

C
Rummaging through the sheer amount of weapons and armor had taken an hour. In that time, G3-A4 had managed to make good headway on digitally converting the claims. Luckily they had been processed manually, otherwise the Hunters would have rioted. That said, there was no excuse for the way things had been left. If Sidon had of known what he would be walking into by taking over, he might have reconsidered. Still, he had, he was here now, and things needed doing. And so the efforts continued.

The weapon racks were cleared, random adornments and items put to one side, and then used for actual weapons. The armor lockers were filled, several rodents stomped and removed from the building. There were numerous boxes and caches throughout the large area, and it took some effort to begin moving them into something resembling order. Because he wanted to have a quick organization in place, before getting into the particulars, Sidon didn't bother checking inside any crates or boxes. That would be a task for a later hour, when there was more sorted and more space to begin rifling through items.

G3-A4 continued typing at the terminal, it's metal fingers clicking loudly in rapid succession. Judging by the stack of reports neatly piled to it's right, and the several boxes dumped to it's left, the droid had already updated and uploaded a few hundred. Doing quite well, considering how everything needed to be logged, processed, catalogued and tagged with the original bounty claim from who knew when. Sidon hadn't known the droid could be so helpful in that regard, and wondered if he could assign it a new position as administration, as well as Hunter member services.

It was worth a shot, and better than Sidon doing it.

"I'm going to get started on re-registering these weapons, Gee-Three," The Guild leader said, picking up a tagging device as he walked to the weapons racks. "Can you make sure the IDs are coming through on the system, while you keep filing?"

"I certainly can, Master Eshe," G3-A4 intoned, barely moving as it shifted one hand to a second terminal pad and began typing independently on two holo-screens. "Ready when you are."

Sidon began scanning, clearing his throat as he looked at the amassed weaponry and the time it would take to do... and he hadn't even started the armor.

Chance Bonaventure

C
With the weapons done, and G3-A4 tapping away ensuring everything was registering correctly, Sidon allowed himself a break. Grabbing a water packet from a nearby cooling unit, the Guild leader unsealed the bottom of his helmet and snaked the packet straw up under his chin. Drinking the liquid, Sidon considered the next task. The armor lockers had to be sorted, followed by the storage containers and boxes. On top of that, the containers had to be checked, re-registered, and the database of the Guild's holdings updated. While most of that just required time and scanning, Sidon knew that G4-A4 could continue working the systems. The pair were turning out to be an effective team, blazing through the reorganization with quick speed and decent results.

I am never letting it get this way again, Sidon thought as he finished the water packet. Resealing his helmet, he put the spent item into the recycler nearby, before taking the gear scanner to the armor.

Opening the first locker, several items were within. Basic suits, some gloves, boots, that sort of thing. Nothing specialized or worth much beyond items that offered basic protection. A starter suit, basically, for any new Guild member that didn't have anything with armor value. Truthfully most Hunters were doing contracts before they approached the Guild, earning a living and updating their own gear; but the plan was going to change, the services offered by the Guild under Sidon's leadership would allow anyone with knowledge and skill to join, be kitted out, and use good gear until they could afford their own.

Having a communal armory would make the Guild more effective, and stop the losses to new members who were still learning the trade. A good number tended to either die, or be too afraid to return. But, with some strong armor and weaponry, that lack of experience would be balanced out somewhat, and the real Hunters would make themselves known from the new crop. As it was, while Sidon was scanning the items inside the lockers, he realized updating basically everything was going to be a requirement - and that meant credits. And while it could be a business expense, that still meant the currency had to be supplied up front from his own pocket...

"I have almost finished the first of two boxes, Master Eshe," G3-A4 stated, glancing over with round optics. It nodded, before returning to the task. "Registered items are coming through and being updated as requested."

Sighing, Sidon opened the next locker. Thankfully the rodent nest was empty, and he had a helmet that filtered air, otherwise the presumed stench would have been overwhelming. Lifting the tatters of rubbish from inside, the Bounty Hunter grimaced as he dumped it in the recycler. Shaking his helmeted head, he returned to the task of scanning the armor - but he made sure to skip the one that had been home to the pests, as he doubted anyone wanted to wear that...

Chance Bonaventure

C
"Half a box remaining, Master Eshe," G3-A4 said, as it reached down and pulled the remaining claims and reports out, thumping them onto the desk. "Would you like me to assist with cataloguing the storage units when I am done?"

"Yes, Gee-Three," Sidon said, frowning as he crouched in front of a large stacked pile of containers. "This could take... a long while."

Rolling his neck, Sidon reached in and began by opening the first box that came free. The lid was almost jammed, but a quick tap with a gloved fist popped it open. Within was an assortment of small trophies, identification cards, handwritten notes on flimsiplast and other items. Raising an eyebrow in the helmet, the Bounty Hunter wondered who the items belonged to. Checking the ID, he grunted to himself, not recognizing the name - Gaqin Oros - before he glanced back to the droid.

"What can you tell me about a Gaqin Oros?"

There was a moment of tapping, as G3-A4 checked records.

"That is the name of a deceased Hunter. He was mainly active fifty years ago, according to records. His personal effects were stored, due to no next of kin being assigned."

Sidon nodded, putting the ID carefully back into the storage unit. So the pile, which was along the entire wall, was potentially belongings of dead members of the Guild. That was a somber thought, as the Hunter's eyes scanned the stacks, thinking about his own belongings and if they would also end up on the pile. Probably, especially with no family or relatives to speak of, which caused Sidon down a darker thought path - one he quickly pushed aside, as he grabbed another container. This one was older, a lot older, and had been covered in dust. Brushing it off, Sidon opened the lid and looked inside...

"Huh, well," He said, reaching in and pulling out an aged ID card, "Boba Fett... who would have thought."

Putting that container aside, curious about one of the most famous Bounty Hunters in the last seven-hundred years, Sidon continued to sort and process, scanning items and recognizing some names but not others. It was almost saddening to be searching through the remains of once great Hunters, but it had to be done, and Sidon would ensure nothing was damaged or treated unkindly. He respected his predecessors, and would show their personal effects the same respect as he would them.

"I am done, Master Eshe," G3-A4 said, standing. He tapped several terminal keys before hoisting the boxes of now defunct claims and reports, disappearing to place them in the disintegrator. When it returned, the droid seemed happier than usual. "Also, I have scripted an automated scanning algorithm so all items will update without my processing them. I can now assist with the containers!"

Sidon was impressed, and motioned to the boxes. Together, the pair began to sift through Hunter history...

Chance Bonaventure

C
"I wonder what's inside?"

Sidon stood in front of a heavily armored metal case, which was adorned with symbols and old tech.

The heavy item had been in the back of the storage pile, apparently forgotten, and were it not for the fact that it was the only box that required a scan of an ID, Sidon wasn't sure it would have stood out. That said, the Hunter ran his gloved hand over the metal surface, helmet inclined as he studied the two symbols on the front. One was familiar, but the other wasn't, which made Sidon wonder if he could ask the droi--

"Those markings belong to Clan Fett, Master Eshe."

"Uh, thanks, Gee-Three," Sidon said, straightening as he looked to his left. He saw the previous container with some basic Boba Fett effects within, specifically the ID card. "Maybe this will work?"

Pressing the card against the scanner, there was a moment where nothing happened. Then a beep, a whir, and the locks disengaged and the lid opened with a creak of metal on metal. Both peered inside, the Hunter with eyebrows raised. It seemed to be a collection of important items, perhaps mementos from Boba Fett's career? Reaching inside, Sidon gently lifted out a thick flimsiplast book, the title printed in neat, easily readable galactic Basic - The Bounty Hunter Code...

"That does seem awfully familiar..." The droid muttered, watching intently.

Opening the book, Sidon whistled to himself as he began to read transcripts from the Bounty Hunters' Guild Handbook; but the real surprise was the personalized notes and writing throughout the pages, filling up the margins and underlining or crossing out other lines. Flicking to the front page, Sidon saw a small written note:

"For Ailyn. Your father, Boba."

So it seemed this was meant as a sort of heirloom, an item passed from father to daughter - or at least the name sounded feminine. Looking to the droid, Sidon shrugged and began to read through the book, scanning each page carefully, eyes narrow and intense. In the meantime, G3-A4 began sorting through the remaining containers, clearly noticing that the Guild leader was now engrossed in the personal memoirs of the legendary Boba Fett...

"I will complete this task, sir," G3-A4 said simply, opening another container. "I will let you know when I have completed the task."

"Yeah, sure, thanks Gee-Three," Sidon muttered, walking out of the armory office, moving through the Guild HQ until he was in his quarters. Sitting down, the Hunter smiled, reading, learning already. Some of the information was clearly educational, and he wondered if that had been Boba's intent - to help train his daughter, or son, in his profession? It was an intriguing thought, and part of him wondered why Ailyn didn't have the storage case. But, beggars couldn't be choosers, and Sidon chalked it up to a fortuitous event that had given him an opportunity to learn from one--

Wait. Bossk? Jango Fett? There's so many different notes in here... this has been exchanged from Hunter to Hunter!

Now even more excited, Sidon began reading faster. It was going to be a long night...

End

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom