Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Permafrost Calling

Orson Velus

O
Orson had received a summons to the hangar to meet a Jedi Master. The specifics of their meetings were left out besides from a meeting time and a location, the hangar. Conveniently, the Hangar was one of few places in the temple that he was actually confident in being able to find, so he wouldn't have to worry about getting lost.

Nevertheless, he still left very early compared to the meetings time, with a small packed bag slung over his shoulder. He somewhat expected this to be his first assignment, so he figured he'd pack a few things for all possible temperatures and conditions that he could face. If one were to walk past Orson on his way down towards the hangar, a strange mix of both excitement and nerves were extremely evident on the Padawan face and body. Having left so early, when he arrived to the hangar it was practically empty, and as Orson had no idea really who he was looking for, he simply waited by the entrance, idly tapping his fingers against his legs.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

Tags: Orson Velus
At the Jedi temple on CORUSCANT...
DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
Elias's leather boots thudded softly on the marble floors as he walked the halls leading to the temple hangar. It was a familiar route, memorized from dozens of excursions during his tenure with the NJO. From the Core to the Outer Rim, Elias had been to dozens of worlds and carried out countless missions over the years. Even after all this time, he still felt that spark of adventure as he rounded the corner to see his starship ready to depart.

And another spark yet as his deep-yellow eyes came to rest upon a patient Padawan, the one he was tasked with inducting into the Order.

Orson Velus?” Elias asked the young man, though he already recognized him from the dossier. He bowed his head, his sable locks swaying gently.

I am Master Elias Edo, I've been summoned by the Council to accompany you on the next step in your Jedi training. I trust you've gathered some personal affects? The journey may last a few days.” He eyed the boy, a humble smile on his lips. It would certainly be an adventure, considering their destination was actually undetermined; Padawans were always in control of finding their own way across the stars when it came to their first kyber crystal.

Do you have any questions before we depart?

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
Orson turned as he heard his voice being said. "Yes." He nodded, pausing for a moment, still not entirely sure how he was supposed to act around Jedi Masters. After a moment of deliberation, he dipped his head slightly.

"Nice to meet you, Master Edo?" Once again, he wasn't entirely sure if that was correct but it sounded alright. The idea of taking a next step excited him, but the possibility of it taking a few days wasn't something he was sure if he prepared for. "Uh, I've got a few things, yeah." He pulled his bag from his shoulder, checking inside. "It should be okay, I think."

Orson hesitated before responding, taking a few moments to see if he had any pressing concerns. "What will we actually be doing? That's the only real question I can think of."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
Elias raised an eyebrow, a bit surprised Orson hadn't been briefed on their outing. He waved his expression away quickly, though, figuring the Council would prefer a Master to deliver the news rather than a summons.

"Are you familiar with the Gathering Ceremony?" Elias asked in an even tone.

It was one of his favorite Jedi traditions, the Gathering. Watching a youngling open their mind and heart to the Force, seeing them hear the echoes of their crystal... it was an experience he could relive a dozen times over and still not grow tired of the task. Overseeing Orson's Gathering would be a great honor indeed.

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
The term didn't ring any bells for him, but he took a few moments trying to think up what the phrase could mean, but none of his ideas were particularly logical. Considering it seemed to only be the two of him, he couldn't really put together what kind of gathering this was supposed to be.

"The term doesn't really ring a bell." He shook his head, before quickly adding on. "I arrived very recently, so I probably just haven't actually got around to reading anything on it quite yet."

He looked back into his bag once more, double checking he had packed at least something for any kind of conditions really, before slinging it back over his shoulder.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
"Then we have much to discuss!" Elias said with a chuckle, gesturing for Orson to follow him. As the pair crossed the hangar bay, Elias took a moment to teach his new companion about the ceremony that awaited him.

"The Gathering is an ancient tradition," he began, recollecting the timeless practice. "It's both a symbolic and tangible advancement in the path of every Jedi." From the side of his eye, Elias studied the Padawan. He was young, but the records he received from the Council were promising. Elias had few doubts about Orson's capabilities, but he would still do everything in his power to prepare the Padawan for the trials ahead.

Stronger Jedi than Orson have failed the Gathering in the past, swayed by greed, thwarted by fear, crushed by pride.

"During the ceremony, your skills and wits will be put to the test as you follow the call of a kyber crystal," Elias explained. "Should you prove resilient, mindful, and resourceful, you will find this crystal - your crystal." He stopped as they approached a large starship, turning his steely gaze to Orson.

"This is us," he said, gesturing to the vessel. A twinkle of pride could be seen in the Master's eyes.

"Are you ready, Padawan Velus?"

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
Orson nodded, following quickly after the Jedi. As he listened, he frowned slightly, very confused by the name of the ceremony. Not that it really mattered too much, as Orson quickly came to realise that this would mark a real step forwards for him should he be able to find a crystal. For a moment, he allowed himself to get ahead of himself, his imagination running wild before he reeled it back in, and tried to think about it with some kind of logic.

Finding his crystal would be difficult, that was something he could say with certainty. He should probably have more questions to ask, and as they reached the ship, he looked up briefly. "Nice ship." was all that he said for the moment. Was he ready? He didn't have a clue. He felt quite neutrally about his readiness, as he wasn't really sure what to expect, and now he doubted the contents of his bag once again. "Yeah.. I'm probably ready. Where are we heading?"

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png

"Yeah... I'm probably ready. Where are we heading?"

To that, Elias cracked an eager grin.

"You'll be the one deciding that, my friend."

The ship's landing ramp lowered with a sharp hiss, its metal surface thumping as it made contact with the hangar floor. Elias gave Orson a curt nod before walking up and into the ship. As they made their way from the rear through the mid, he waved his hand to the various amenities.

"Cargo hold, workshop, meditation chamber, the galley..." he halted as he stepped by a room that was largely empty, save for a single bunk and desk. "Your room's here, if you'd like to take a moment to settle in. Take a look around, sort out your things, and meet me in the cockpit when you're ready." Elias held back in the doorway for a moment, allowing Orson an opportunity to say anything that may come to mind before heading to the ship's controls and making preparations for their journey.

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
Orson confidently knew a sum total of two planets, and he wasn't keen to be going back to Atoa this soon after having left, so he may have been stumped at the first hurdle. He wasn't going to point this out, however, and instead he'd try find a map or something in the mean time.

He followed the Jedi up onto the ship, nodding and looking around as he went through the brief tour.
"Thank you." He stepped into the room, tossing his bag into the corner of the room, and taking a seat on the bunk for a moment. How was he even supposed to choose a planet? If someone was to list planets, he might recognise more names, but just names really. His people, and his family in particular, weren't typically the out going kind, very few Atoans ever even left Atoa after all, so there was no real reason for them to know more than Atoa.

Orson followed Elias to the cockpit after having sat down for a few moments.
"I'm ready, but how do I pick a planet? My knowledge isn't expansive, well.. Actually, it's embarrassingly lacking in that area I'd say."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
"Come, join me," Elias said as Orson found his way to the front of the ship.

"You won't be selecting a planet to visit, so much as the planet will choose you," he said as he studied Orson with shrewd eyes. He let the words settle on the Padawan's mind before elaborating. "As I mentioned before, a kyber crystal calls to its partner through echoes in the Force. Each crystal is as unique as the Jedi who seeks to use it, and as such, only you can sense its song. You must reach into the Force, immerse yourself in its aura, and allow it to guide your heart."

After a moment, he offered a reassuring smile.

"You'll never steer wrong by following the Force, Orson. Let it tell you where you should go, and I'll take care of the rest."

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
"Right, uh.. I guess I'll try that then." He frowned, leaning against the wall. He just had to let it come naturally to him, feel the force around him or something like that. His usage and knowledge of the force were still unrefined, but he was at least very much aware of it. He focused on that feeling, his breathing slowing slightly to become much more rhythmic and if it wasn't for the burrowing of his brows in concentration, he would otherwise look quite tranquil and as if he was meditating.

It wasn't instant, but he did feel something, a sort of a pull in his gut as well as a sudden coldness that washed over him, which he almost declared to mean Atoa if it wasn't for the unfamiliarity he felt towards the coldness.
"I couldn't begin to guess at. the name except from it isn't Atoa. It's a cold mountainous planet. Lots of ice all around really, and that's all I got really."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
"That's a good start," he said in a low tone, so as not to distract the Padawan from his thoughts.

Elias studied Orson as he searched for the source of the echo, noting the look of deep concentration on the boy's face. Perhaps, he thought, a small nudge in the right direction could prove beneficial. The Jedi closed his eyes, opening himself to the Force and bolstering Orson's senses with his own presence. The Padawan would feel a gradual shift in the energies surrounding him.

"I see it, too," Elias said, eyes still closed as an image of ice and snow wisped across his mind. He pushed further, searching the Force for clues. Several long moments of concentrated silence passed before Elias' voice called out again. He eyed Orson closely, choosing his words carefully so as to guide him rather than direct his emotions.

"Orson... does the name 'Hoth' hold any significance to you?"

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
Hoth certainly rung a bell in Orson's head, and it soon become the main focus of his thoughts as both the image of the icy mountains and the word 'Hoth' imprinted themselves upon his mind. "That sounds right.." He began, once again reaching out and searching with the force.

"Hoth is where we need to go, I believe. I wouldn't of been able to name it, but I'm sure that Hoth is what I was seeing and felt that pull towards." He sounded much more confident in his choice than he had done at any point leading up to this. Hoth would be where he'd find, or at least begin his search. It actually bought some relief to him that they were heading to a colder planet, he had been quite worried about having to search a volcano or something similar.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png

"Hoth is where we need to go, I believe. I wouldn't of been able to name it, but I'm sure that Hoth is what I was seeing and felt that pull towards."

"You did well," Elias said warmly, his yellow eyes turning to the controls. He reached overhead, pressing a series of buttons and switches that elicited a gentle hum from the Calypso's engines. As he made the necessary preparations, he cast a sideways glance to Orson, cracking a coy smile.

"Have you ever piloted before?" he asked.

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
"Thanks." He followed his gaze towards the control's, remembering which ones he flicked to turn the engine on. He hadn't learnt to fly yet, so he wanted to try and watch and memorise what was done at every stage. As Elias asked a question very similar to his own train of thoughts, he looked up, slightly surprised.

"No I haven't
, I've been wanting to learn how to though." . Ever since he had been given the door of the temple, and saw the many different ships in the hangar, wanting to learn to fly have been playing in the back of his mind.

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

eNPiFUf.png

DPFKiwm.png

37rIcGL.png
"It's not as difficult as it looks," Elias assured him, nodding to the array of buttons, switches, and dials.

"Perhaps when we're done on Hoth, I can show you a few tricks." He swiped his fingers across a screen embedded into the control panel, the interface glowing to life as it displayed a coordinate plane. Elias navigated the map, stopping when he reached K-18: the Hoth system. With their destination locked into the navigation computer, the Calypso's landing gear retracted, and the starship lurched forward.

Within a few short moments, the ship was zooming high above Galactic City, breaking Coruscant's atmosphere, and launching into hyperspace. Elias relaxed into his seat, resting his shoulders as they entered the dimension that allowed for faster-than-light travel. He turned to Orson, a curious glint in his eye.

"Have you been training at the Temple for long?" It wasn't the most formal way to inquire about a Padawan's history, but Elias was never known for his formality. If he was to observe Orson's performance during the Gathering, then Elias needed to know as much about the boy's time with the Jedi as he was willing to divulge.

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
"I'd hope it isn't.." He frowned, watching as the Jedi navigated the controls. It certainly looked difficult enough to just take off, already not entirely sure he could remember the steps that had been took up until now. "But yeah, I'd like it if you could show me a few things once we're done."

Orson tensed up as they started to move, entirely unsure how he felt with travelling, as it was only his second time actually flying. However, after only a few moments, he let out a small sight of relief, his shoulders relaxing as he turned back to the Jedi. "Not long at all. I arrived very recent, just over
a week or so ago." He explained. before adding on. "So, I haven't really been able to do too much since I got here, mainly just trained alone, but I don't know how effective that's been."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

EPWiRdh.png

En route to HOTH...

DPFKiwm.png

Elias' face had look of surprise, but only for a moment. His mind was taken to a recent conversation he'd had with Jedi Master Valery Noble. He knew the NJO and Alliance were desperate to field more Jedi against the Brotherhood and the Empire, but accelerating younglings through their training would only shed more blood.

"Times are changing, indeed," he murmured more to himself than to Orson, though he was quick to refocus.

If Orson was going to have a chance at succeeding his Gathering, there was much to do... and only a short hyperspace jump to Hoth to do it. He decided to inquire about the Padawan's experience so far, hoping he'd at least been given an opportunity to meet his class, train with friends, or at the very least complete a portion of the younglings' extensive study.

"Orson," the Jedi began thoughtfully, "could you tell me more about the training you've received thus far? Have you had any opportunities to train with a practice blade? Perhaps hone your meditative skills and Force senses?"

Last edited:

Orson Velus

O
Orson was well aware of his disadvantages in skipping such a large section of training, so he could roughly understand what the Jedi said when he mentioned changing times. But regardless, he was confident in himself enough to be able to make up for those disadvantages, so he wasn't too discouraged by them.

"When I first got here I attended a class on Tutaminis, which was quite interesting. Them I've also managed to get in two rounds of sparring against other Padawans.." He paused for a moment, thinking back. Those were the notable occasions of training he could think of, but all the stuff he had done himself was probably worth mentioning. "Otherwise I've sort of just kind of practiced with a training saber by myself, getting used to using that kind of weapon, and then just tried to move some stuff around with the force to get use to using it more frequently."

Elias Edo Elias Edo

Tides of Change

EPWiRdh.png

En route to HOTH...
DPFKiwm.png

Elias was no stranger to breaking the mold. He hadn’t earned his reputation the 'Rebel Jedi' by following all the rules, but such hasty training as what Orson had experienced was detrimental - even dangerous - to his development as a Jedi. Still, there was potential. Elias was sure of it.

"I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such an… unorthodox approach to your training." He paused for a moment, blinking as he looked over the boy.

"But I’d be a liar if I pretended I’m not impressed by your initiative. It’s no small feat for a Youngling to take their lessons into their own hands." Elias’ gaze turned to the slipstream beyond the glass, watching it as the mesmerizing colors immersed the Calypso.

"I think you’ll make a fine Jedi Padawan, Orson."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom