Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Pedehorkas

Status
Not open for further replies.
ashra_har_by_henning-d5hp0ol.jpg

Images Credit: http://henning.deviantart.com/art/Ashra-Har-332051637
Name: Pedehorkas
Designation: Non-Sentient
Homeworld: Phorskuh II
Language: Chirps and Grunts
Average height of adults: 1.2-1.5m
Skin color: Dark Tan to Black
Hair color: N/A
Breathes: Type 2

Strengths:
Size - Its size makes it intimidating to just about any creature not three times its size
Strength - It's mouth is incredibly powerful, able to break bones of average strength
Weaknesses:
Partially Blind - They rely on sense of hearing and feeling; vibrations in the ground, and temperature sensing antennae
Limited Mobility - Their exoskeleton is designed for bending and flexing, but it is also more resistant to heat, which keeps them less dry. Due to this, it can not bend as much as say... a snake or a worm. It is also slower than it may seem, usually less than 3kph. Only slightly more if they are in a 'sprint'

Distinctions: Rarer breeds have glowing flesh, showing they come from the deepest and most moist and cool areas of the planets. Being rare due to far less reaching the surface.
Average Lifespan: 300 Standard Years
Races: See Distinctions
Estimated Population: Currently only discovered on Phorskuh II, 5,000
Diet: Omnivorous
Communication: Ground Tremors or shakes, which can cause confusion from machinery, sometimes luring them to unknowing individuals
Culture: N/A
Technology level: N/A
General behavior: Solitary; Pedehorkas usually like to be alone, taking up a cavern and acting like it is their territory. Seldom do they share a cavern, but if they do, it's when they lay eggs and have them protected
History: Unknown to most researchers, as the creature has only been recently discovered, the Pedehorkas were actually the cause for the moist, wet caverns found much deeper underground. They are a burrowing and traveling species. Most of the time their tunnels cave in, but some of the tunnels harden and keep their strength. Though when the Pedehorkas go up top side to breathe, the wind gets caught inside the tunnel, and catches inside the caverns which when it is cold, it traps moisture inside. Some of the caverns on the planet that are top-side were actually commonly traveled tunnels by Pedehorkas, which opened the ground up but formed strong walls. Scientists discovered that the Pedorhorkas were the first species to exist on the planet. They suspect that the species survived, initially, by consuming plants that grew in the damp caverns. Eventually, while the Pedehorkas were quite small, evolutionary pressure forced them to increase in size. This is believed, by the original discoverers of the species, to be the result of a growing need to consume in a more predatory fashion. It is at this stage of their evolution that Pedorhorkas show a transition from strict herbivory to a more versatile omnivorous diet.

In their existence, they became the main predators of Phorskuh II, but less savage and blood thirsty than most predators. They grew in size and power with their new food sources, but recently they've stopped growing. The creatures that evolved and grew on the planet after the Pedehorkas impact soon began to die off as they often entered too much into the Pedehorkas 'territories,' however one other creature has lived long enough to sustain itself alongside Pedehorkas. Although rarely, Pedehorkas don't often attack each other. Even the ones found in the deepest caverns are less aggressive.

The Pedehorkas also have a rare subspecies, but the differences are minimal. The Pedehorkas that live mostly towards the top soil of the planet are seen the same, dark and territorial. But deep underground, where the largest of flora and water pools are in the planet, where light very rarely ever has reached so deep, the Pedehorkas adapted once more. Since the Pedehorkas hunt by sound and feeling, these Pedehorkas created a new tactic for hunting. The flesh that can sometimes be seen between carapace shells, in their mouth, or on their antennae can glow. This can either be used as a scare tactic to force a creature into moving, or a lure tactic, which gives a tantalizing color to water pools that can lure other Phorskuh II creatures.

Notable Player-Characters: N/A
Intent: Create life for Phorskuh II

Jeron Verity said:
Homeworld: Phorskuh II

Please link to this, since it is a custom planet.

Jeron Verity said:
but it is also very strong to secure in moisture.
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what this exactly means. Are you saying that it is more rigid in moisture or more secured to the inner frame of the creature in moisture? Maybe something else entirely?

Jeron Verity said:
Estimated Population: Currently only discovered on Phorskuh II

Gonna need a number for this, please.

Jeron Verity said:
the wind gets caught inside the tunnel, and catches inside the caverns which when it is cold, traps moisture inside.
This is a hair confusing to me. So all of the caverns we have on our planet are made from water. Water erosion, seepage, ice formation that splits rocks, etc (though we do have volcanic caves, though this is created by the nature of molten rock to work in fluid form similar to water). We have nothing comparable to wind tunnels because it's incredibly difficult for winds to be funneled into a cavern system (notice the difference here between cave and cavern). There are indeed wind based caves but they are often shallow or form land bridges (arid west has a good deal and you can find a healthy dosing of it on poorly developed shore line). On top of this, cold air carries less moisture than warm air, meaning that leaning on the air for moisture input is a bit of a stretch. I'm not telling you that you need to come up with something new here, but if you could develop this more clearly, I would appreciate it.

Jeron Verity said:
The Pedehorkas were discovered to be the first species on the planet, possibly mostly feeding from the plants and flora that grew in damp caverns, small ones that formed before the Pedehorkas caused large ones to form. But they seemed as though they grew to be predatory, Consuming the other creatures that later evolved from the amount of flora and water pools that were later created by the Pedehorkas.
Do me a favor and reread through your submission. There is a good deal of formatting and grammatical issues that make the submission hard to understand. For instance, I above paragraph could read as follows: "Scientists discovered that the Pedorhorkas were the first species to exist on the planet. They suspect that the species survived, initially, by consuming plants that grew in the damp caverns. Eventually, while the Pedehorkas were quite small, evolutionary pressure forced them to increase in size. This is believed, by the original discovers of the species, to be the result of a growing need to consume in a more predatory fashion. It is at this stage of their evolution that Pedorhorkas show a transition from strict herbivory to a more versatile omnivorous diet."

[member="Reverance"]

1. I must be off my game, haha, sorry!

2. Some creatures can dry out much easier, I thought of them similar to Camels, but they don't store water. They just don't dry as easily.

3. Fixed

4. Any moisture developed from the cold is kept in the cavern and carried or pushed by the wind. The heat dries up any in the daylight, so collection of water is paused. With the Pedehorkas creating more tunnels, more moisture is trapped in these tunnels and potentially could form stalagmites/tites. I'm am not scientists, but I feel that makes sense. More trapped moisture that travels to collect and pool and create algae/etc

5. Your "it could read as" sounds like it is correct... Shall I replace that paragraph with yours?

[member="Reverance"]

First off, I apologize if that sentence sounded rude. It's a horrible thing, translating mood through text. The mood of that was "I have no idea if I did good or bad here..."

I believe the grammatical issues are resolved and I have worded the earlier 'secure of moisture' in a different way and keeping to the original idea. Please tell me if there is anything more needed. Also, do tell me if this seems like a tool for something or it seems abuse-able. I am not making this creature for anything in the future, just spice to the planet -- otherwise it has no purpose. I just thought the planet could use something to give it more depth.

Jeron Verity said:
by the original discovers of the species
Spelled that wrong in the original paragraph. My bad. Should be discoverers.

Jeron Verity said:
where light very rarely ever has reached so deep, the Pedehorkas qdapted once more
Adapted, I believe.

Just one more edit and I think we should be good to go:

Jeron Verity said:
General behavior: Solitary
Give me a wee bit more on this please. Nothing too impressive but more than just a word. If they are territorial, this is the place to describe that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom