Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Path of the Healer

Alora Davani

A

4QmtBBH.png

GADividerWhite.png

Amani Serys Amani Serys

Soft steps and graceful strides brought Alora Davani down the hall. This particular hallway, as it were, led to the Halls of Healing. Her cloak billowed about her as she moved, breeze-like, towards her destination: The Office of the Chief Healer.

After many years at Serenity's Reach and at the side of her master, Alora had come to join the ranks of the New Jedi Order.

It was going to be a rather big change, but she knew it was all for the greater good. Her work at the Reach had been fulfilling, but Master Aquila had impressed upon her that the galaxy was unstable; it needed those with a healing touch for than ever. The newly minted Knight was eager to begin, but she understood that today would be something of an orientation. After all, there was quite a lot to get used to here at the temple.

Coruscant, for one, was very different from the peaceful refuge that was Serenity's Reach. Here, she felt rather like her energy was being pulled and shifted from one thing to the next. And the sheer aura of the temple, it was vast. Alora had never seen -- or felt -- so many Jedi in one place before. Many distractions presented themselves, but it was all a matter of focus. Once she had arrived outside Amani's office, she placed a small knock on the door. When she was invited to enter, she would step over the threshold and pause to bow.

"Greetings, Knight Serys," she said, her tone light and airy. "Alora Davani." The Knight would give her name with a genial smile. "At your service."

For the early stages of her tenure as Chief Healer, Amani rarely spent any time in her office. There was too much work to do out on the floor. Too much to prove. To live up to.

But as of late, she had found a sense of reprieve in her office. And with the day being as slow as it was, she was quite content to post up there and await the latest arrival. The mirialan spun lazily in her chair, fidgeting with a small gadget like she was a bored student. With little else to do but wait, it helped her maintain a sense of ease.

Then, a sound at the door immediately made her spring from her seat, "Come in!" She dusted herself off, ready just in time for Alora to step through and offer a bow, which the mirialan reciprocated, "A pleasure, Knight Davani. Welcome to the Halls of Healing. And the Jedi Temple," Amani gestured broadly at their surroundings, "As you're already aware, I'm the Chief Healer for the Order. But please, Amani is fine." Professionalism was something she always felt compelled to offer, but was never too keen to enforce on others.

"I trust the transition has been smooth? Have you had much chance to settle in yet?"

Alora Davani

A

"Thank you very much," she said, smiling. "And please call me Alora."
Moving into Amani's office, she couldn't help but feel a sense of camaraderie. They were both healers and they even seemed around the same age, from what Alora could tell, at least. Amani's words were also warm and friendly, not at all the stern and serious in tone like she'd imagined. There seemed to be a sense of ease about the Chief Healer.​
She took a seat and looked across the desk at Amani, nodding as she asked about how she'd been setting in. "It's... different here on Coruscant," she said, thoughtfully. "My last post was very remote." Alora let out a small but content sigh. "I'll adjust, though," she smiled.​
Perhaps, that was one of the reasons she was so eager to get to work.​
That way, there would be something else to pour her energy into. "I'm very excited to have the opportunity to help here at the temple." Alora canted her head slightly at Amani. "Have you been Chief Healer for long? What is it like working here?"
Alora clasped her hands in her lap, a small reminder to be patient and not overwhelm her new boss with questions. The answers would come in time.​

"Alright, Alora," Amani smirked and nodded, before settling back in her seat, "Good to hear." There would always be a need for more healers among the Jedi, so any who were willing and able to rise to the occasion were met with open arms. It lifted Amani's spirits to see their numbers steadily rising.

The Chief Healer crossed one leg over the other, and pulled out a datapad with Alora's file on it for reference. She rested the device on her thigh, scrolling down the page before she returned her gaze to her fellow Knight, "Coming up on a year, now. Still feels a bit crazy to say," The time went by quickly in her mind. She took it as a good sign, as proven by the pleasant smile she sprouted.

"As for working here, it's probably best described as… on-and-off," Amani paused for a beat, before clarifying, "As with any medical field, it varies on a case-by-case basis. Speaking in a general sense, our workload is probably a bit less stuffed than, say, a hospital's. But unsurprisingly those numbers tend to jump up after missions or battles. And while we have ample resources and skill sets, we lack the luxury of manpower." Which was where the key imbalance came into play. They had less patients, but they also had far less staff around to accommodate.

"I won't sugarcoat the experience, because that won't help any of us. If you're a healer, I suspect you're already well aware of the responsibilities you're setting yourself up for. Times like that, we'll all be a bit pushed to our limits. And being a Jedi, your duties might take you into the field as well. Military operations or otherwise. Thankfully with more of us on board, the lighter the load becomes for everybody," By this point her tone was a bit more serious, and professional. She wanted to be as clear as possible, after all, "And when things are a bit quieter, like they are now, we'll usually take on a few transfer cases from Galactic City Med to continue to help out."

Then just like that, Amani lightened up a bit more, offering a reassuring smile so as to not wholly disarm Alora with everything she had just laid out, "How does that sound to you?"

Alora Davani

A

Alora nodded and listened intently as Amani spoke. It was quite an accomplishment to have reached the role of Chief Healer, and this fact spoke of hard work and dedication. Though they'd just met, she was already getting a glimpse of what her fellow Knight's work ethic must be like. Truly, the work of a healer was never done.

And, this fact was confirmed when Amani explained about the workload.

Having been somewhat sheltered at Serenity's Reach, she'd seen her share of trauma – but nothing in the sense of a war. It was a stark reminder that the galaxy wasn't quite as nice as she often thought. In her own mind, there was goodness in everything and everyone. Perhaps it wasn't realistic, but it was what Alora wanted to believe.

"Understood,"
she said. "It sounds like I'll have my work cut out for me."

She chuckled softly.

"Really, though... I'm ready to help shoulder the workload." A steady nod punctuated her point. She did appreciate the honesty – this way, she could go in with clear expectations. Indeed, she hoped to be a dependable source of energy to support the others working in the Halls. "Would I have a regular shift or be more... on-call?"

"Good," Amani immediately reverted back to her more casual self. Alora wasn't scared off by the workload, which meant she had determination, and a genuine desire to help others. Exactly what they needed in healers, "For the most part, our healers operate on-call. Given the Order's size, a consistent full staff presence isn't needed on a day-to-day basis. And with Jedi operations taking us all over the galaxy, it can be difficult to maintain more regular schedules anyway. Depending on where and what our other healers are doing will determine when you'll be most needed. And vice versa."

Amani stood up, clutching her datapad to her chest, "The only ones with what you might call a 'regular' shift would be myself, overseeing daytime operations. And Master Samara Raine, who oversees the night shift. But even that can change depending on where our work takes us," She then added, almost sheepishly, "Admittedly I'm a bit more in-and-out than her, as Council duties also take up some of my time." All that said, the majority of Amani's work time was indeed spent in these halls.

"How about a quick tour of the facilities? Get yourself familiar with our setup." She walked around her desk and towards the door of the office, leading back out into the main lobby.

Alora Davani

A

Alora drew a calm breath as she took in Amani's explanation. True to form, healing was quite unpredictable. And the young Echani woman was seemingly ready with a spring in her step at any hour. Working here at the temple would surely keep her on her toes, so to speak.

"I see," she said, nodding. "I'll look for Master Raine and introduce myself." Alora made a mental note to do so and smiled. "Council duties? My, you must be quite busy indeed." She gave a light-hearted chuckle.

She stood up and gave her cloak a tug to straighten it out. "Yes, please," said, her smile grew. "I'd love a tour."

Alora would walk alongside Amani as they moved back towards the lobby area. She glanced to the side to find the Mirialan. "I do hope my level of experience is enough," she said, her cheeks coloring ever slightly. "Most of my previous work was done with refugees and rescued slaves." Alora rubbed her wrist unconsciously when she said the word slaves. "Treating malnutrition, basic wounds... mental and emotional trauma," she continued. "However, I do lack experience with surgical procedures."

No doubt, she would be hitting up the archives to brush up. But first hand experience was always preferred if possible. "Would I be able to assist with some procedures until I'm up to speed?" She arched her brows slightly.

Amani nodded, "I'm sure she'd appreciate it." Master Raine's arrival had certainly taken a lot off of Amani's plate. Anything to help her out in turn was more than welcome. Alora's reaction to the mention of Council duties made her chuckle dryly, "There's always something." It was an unenviable workload, but Amani was determined, and proud what she had achieved. To be Chief Healer and a Council member at her age was a testament to her ethic (And also the relative shortage of Jedi when compared to eras past).

Amani began to meander, with Alora in tow. The lobby was painted an array of pleasant and soothing colors, in intentional contrast to the bleak, clinical whiteness of so many other medical facilities. The Halls of Healing had been the same, prior to Amani's appointment. There was plant life which similarly spruced up the environment, and large windows that let in natural light, completing the scene. "This is our waiting room. Where you'll probably spend most of your downtime on the clock. Pretty much everything branches off of here. Obviously there's my office behind us. The nurses' station," she gestured to the setup by the door, with a desk and console. Currently, one of the medical droids was behind it, attending to some menial task. Cushioned seats and benches dotted the rest of the hall, but were all vacant at the moment. It was quiet, spare the gentle trickling of a small waterfall fountain, which lent itself to the meditative ambience.

"Of course. Most of our work doesn't require intensive surgical knowledge given the convenience our powers provide, but there will be times when duty calls for something a bit more… hands on," Amani had done it plenty of times herself. Be it to conserve strength, or simply because the damage was too great to repair through a bit of strenuous healing, "You're more than welcome to shadow procedures throughout your time here, until you're comfortable enough to operate on your own. And of course, we have support droids on hand at all times," That way, no healer had to operate completely alone, at least.

Amani then circled back to what Alora said about her previous experiences, "You worked at Serenity's Reach before this, right? Tell me about it."

Last edited:

Alora Davani

A

Alora made notes as they walked past the various areas that would surely become landmarks in her mind. A smile formed on her face to hear the trickle of water; it was calming -- a perfect touch to such a healing space. And she was certainly glad to know she would have ample support to continue leaning more about surgery. She'd get started as soon as there was an opportunity.​
When Amani asked about Serenity's Reach, Alora's gaze softened.​
"It truly is a wonderful place," she said, nodding. "Master Aida Aquila has made it an open sanctuary for anyone in need. It used to be quite secluded, as I understand it." In truth, Master Aquila was reclusive, which was very unfortunate considering she was such a bright presence in the force. "It's more than a sanctuary, actually -- it's more like a community." Alora smiled fondly. "Quite a lot of emphasis is placed on rest and healing."
The people that called the Reach home were welcome to stay however long they wished.​
"I... spent some of my own time recovering there, too," Alora said. "And I learned to heal there as a way to give back. Master Aquila thought it best that I come here, since the galaxy is in need." It did mean quite a lot to be able to help as many as she could.​

As Alora spoke of Serenity's Reach, Amani's smile gradually warmed, "That sounds lovely. I'll have to visit some time if I get the chance," A commune of healing and tranquility was right up her alley, and exactly what she was trying to achieve with the Halls here. Alora made node of her own time at the Reach, "Really?" Amani asked curiously, but didn't pry unless Alora spoke of the recovery herself. What she already told was good enough for their purposes here. The Chief Healer saw the medical arts in a similar light: a way to give back.

"Well I think you'll fit in wonderfully here. The galaxy could always use more healers," Amani nodded, and remembered to continue showing her around the facilities, "Oh- most of the doors on this wall here lead to our exam rooms. For check-ups, minor injuries, things like that. On the far wall we have our surgical suites, for serious procedures. And down there-" She pointed down to a pair of large doors on the opposite side of the main entrance, "Is our main ward. It's usually not in much use unless we get really busy and have to triage, but it's good to have."

"Any questions so far? Don't want you to fell overwhelmed."

Alora Davani

A

Alora's smile brightened when Amani said she'd fit in here; she was glad to hear it. The halls of healing were quiet, but for the sound of their calm footsteps moving down the corridors. She took it all in, noting the exam rooms and surgical suites.

She shook her head gently to signal that she didn't have any questions. "It seems straightforward enough," she said, her smile extending to her eyes. "I think it's just a matter of getting used to things."

It would take time, of course.

Alora's expression turned thoughtful. "The New Jedi Order has been bravely fighting against the Maw, isn't that right?" Her blue eyes widened slightly. The peaceful seclusion offered by Serenity's Reach sometimes did make it difficult to learn of the most current galactic events. "I've heard of their brutality. How were things here... following the last engagement?"

Yes, perhaps it would be best to hear a first-hand experience in order to prepare herself. She'd witnessed the aftermath of war – but never war itself.

Amani nodded, "Good to hear. I feel the same. Once you've spent some time here, it'll all become very familiar." She had done everything she could to make the Halls of Healing as accommodating as possible, to both patients and staff. Alora seemed a dedicated healer, and with time, would fit in nicely.

Her eventual question earned a faint frown from Amani. Not out of dissatisfaction with Alora herself, but with the connotations that came with any mention of the Brotherhood of the Maw, "That's right," She said, folding her hands in front of her. "Any time we engage with them, things get… busy around here. Mawites can be unpredictable, and some are certainly more vicious than others." Considering their agenda, merciful wasn't often a word used to describe members of the Brotherhood.

"Our last major battle with them was… Metellos, I believe," Amani's brows furrowed. The fact that some of the conflicts could blend together like so was disconcerting in and of itself. The idea of normalizing war and death was something she always hoped to avoid, "I wasn't on the front lines for that one. I helped oversee medic operations, and prepared for the influx of transfers back here on Coruscant." The Chief Healer sighed, "But I have fought them before. They attract the worst the galaxy has to offer."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom