Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passive Combat Grenade (PSG)

Cloudburner

Perfection in human form.
Image Source: https://www.pinterest.com/ProgenitorTech/weapons-grenades/
Intent: To explore new tech/produce non lethal weapons for the Galaxy.
Development Thread: If necessary.
Manufacturer: BlasTech Industries
Model: MKI
Affiliation: Open Market
Modularity: No
Production: Production: Mass-Produced. Anybody can buy and use it.
Material: Durasteel
Classification: Non Lethal Grenade
Size: Handheld
Length: 10cm
Weight: 68kg
Ammunition Type: Well, how many you have.
Ammunition Capacity: N/A
Effective Range: N/A
Advantages:
- Disarm Enemies
Disadvantages:
- May malfunction, causing them to not work.
- Can malfunction in belt, causing yourself to not be able to use Blaster until you clean out your barrel.

Description: Description: The Passive Combat Grenade (PSG) is a grenade used to disarm enemies and leave them for imprisonment. It does this by letting out a large shock of non - lethal electricity . When they least expect it, you can ride on in. Perfect for law bringer and military use, the PSG hooks tight onto your belt with a detachable hook. It May malfunction, causing them to not work.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

Rusty

Hi, my name is Rusty and I'll be your Factory Judge for this submission.

Alright, so there's a pretty major problem with this submission, but first we've got a couple of minor details to tidied up.

Vahn Fett said:
Please provide a link to the company under this section.

Vahn Fett said:
Affiliation: Military use, Faction use, use by everybody.
In this instance, Open Market would be appropriate. If the product is available to anyone with the funds, that's the label you want to use.

Vahn Fett said:
Material: Steel.
Leaving aside the fact that durasteel is the preferred metal of choice in the Star Wars galaxy, there's probably a lot more going on here than simple steel. What you're basically doing here is listing the materials and the components used in construction. For instance, you're probably going to have electronics and gas storage tanks and the like. Think of it as writing up an inventory for the parts.

Vahn Fett said:
Classification: Non- Lethal Explosive.
Sort of a minor quibble here, but it wouldn't technically be an explosive device as described. Perhaps Non-Lethal Grenade?

Vahn Fett said:
Weight: 5cm
Please use a measurement relating to the device's mass. Grams or kilograms would be appropriate.

Vahn Fett said:
Disarm Enemies
Disadvantages:
- May malfunction, causing them to not work.
- Can malfunction in belt, causing yourself to not be able to use Blaster until you clean out your barrel.

This would fall under the Description portion of the submission.

Okay, now that that's out of the way, it's time to address the elephant in the room. Basically, the grenade won't work as described. I think I see where you're trying to go with this, but there are a number of factors that would prevent it from being effective. For starters, it's unlikely that small amounts of liquid oxygen in the barrel would greatly impede its operation. Oxygen burns quite well when heat is applied, and blaster bolts have heat in spades. If anything, cooling the galven circuitry might actually improve the weapon's effectiveness, though it's equally possible that it might corrode the metal as a result.

Then there's the fact that gaseous oxygen has to be supercooled to condense. If it's leaving the grenade as a gas, in order for it to turn back into liquid, it would have to cool back down to -182.96o C. At that temperature, it's doubtful that the blaster would be able to operate to begin with.

What you'd get instead is a cloud of concentrated gaseous oxygen, which is highly reactive. Given a source of ignition, such as a blaster bolt or really anything that throws off a spark and something carbon based, like human flesh, and you're likely to get a very intense fire. Would said fire render the blasters ineffective? Yeah, probably, but it would also turn anyone caught near the blast into charcoal. Sort of negates the nonlethal aspect.

I think you might be onto something with this idea, but I'm pretty sure oxygen is not the way to go.

[member="Vahn Fett"]

Cloudburner

EDIT:

Affiliation: Open Market
Materials: Durasteel
Classification: Non Lethal Grenade
Weight: 68kg

Rusty said:
Okay, now that that's out of the way, it's time to address the elephant in the room. Basically, the grenade won't work as described. I think I see where you're trying to go with this, but there are a number of factors that would prevent it from being effective. For starters, it's unlikely that small amounts of liquid oxygen in the barrel would greatly impede its operation. Oxygen burns quite well when heat is applied, and blaster bolts have heat in spades. If anything, cooling the galven circuitry might actually improve the weapon's effectiveness, though it's equally possible that it might corrode the metal as a result.

Then there's the fact that gaseous oxygen has to be supercooled to condense. If it's leaving the grenade as a gas, in order for it to turn back into liquid, it would have to cool back down to -182.96o C. At that temperature, it's doubtful that the blaster would be able to operate to begin with.

What you'd get instead is a cloud of concentrated gaseous oxygen, which is highly reactive. Given a source of ignition, such as a blaster bolt or really anything that throws off a spark and something carbon based, like human flesh, and you're likely to get a very intense fire. Would said fire render the blasters ineffective? Yeah, probably, but it would also turn anyone caught near the blast into charcoal. Sort of negates the nonlethal aspect.

I think you might be onto something with this idea, but I'm pretty sure oxygen is not the way to go.

[member="Vahn Fett"]
I thought that would happen, I'm weaker in the Science of Weapons than I am in other parts of it. Due to the near impossibility of getting this to work realistically with a detailed logical description, is why I have decided to edit my idea to instead of making a frag grenade let out oxygen, to let out electricity. I think it would work like a stun gun. But as I said previously, my knowledge of weapon science is brief and learning about weapons and grenades from the internet is risky.

Description: The Passive Combat Grenade (PSG) is a grenade used to disarm enemies and leave them for imprisonment. It does this by letting out a large shock of non - lethal electricity . When they least expect it, you can ride on in. Perfect for law bringer and military use, the PSG hooks tight onto your belt with a detachable hook. It May malfunction, causing them to not work.

Cloudburner

Rusty said:
Go ahead and knock out the edits and we'll take it from there. You'll need a bit more detail on how the thing works though.

[member="Vahn Fett"]
Sorry for showing myself to be an dumbass but what do you mean by "knock out"? Do you mean like get rid of them or edit them into the thread? Sorry again.

Rusty

[member="Vahn Fett"]

Still have to get the other materials on there. Durasteel, grenade components would suffice.

Need some more detail about how exactly it works too.

[member="Vahn Fett"]
This is being archived due to inactivity. You may PM either myself or an administrator or another RPJ to have it pulled out of the archives when you are prepared to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom