Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Partners in crime

HAMRA
WILD SPACE
Lancer "Deadlock" Inek Lancer "Deadlock" Inek

The clammy air clung to Hester’s face, a wall of close moisture that would threaten to drench her, were it not for the lacklustre yet just-about-efficient conditioning unit that attempted to bring a coolness to the room’s temperature and humidity.

She had gotten used to Hamra’s raging swelter, the arid dust a part of the everyday norm that was sitting as Chief in this brave new world. A lifetime of living on the tropical shores of her beloved Scarif, including her tenure as Viceroy, had trained her to adapt somewhat to the various climates found in this part of the galaxy.

She wasn’t too mindful today. She was staring down the barrel of a gun.

“You walk into my court, Petroff Herst, and demand double the pay? Did you do double the work?”

The well-armed and well-positioned human male shifted his weight, the blaster in his right hand never leaving his mark; the former Confederate Minister of Influence and now de factor governor of the planet Hamra, Hester Shedo. His helmet straps sat loose, his face fully revealed to the assembled throng dotted about the large chamber, housing a dais on which Hester had placed a large high-backed chair for her comfort. The other members of the assemblage cowered behind their stalls, Hester’s own soldiers aiming their pistols towards the interloper.
Hester had called for them to hold their fire until she could discern what Petroff’s intentions were.

The mercenary spoke.

“I did what was asked of me, no more, no less. But you lied to me.”

Hester smirked.

“Facts and details are to be shared as liberally or as scantily as the situations warrants.”

The mercenary strengthened his repose, letting out an exasperated cry.

“I lost my entire crew, you banshee!”

“A fault that cannot be placed at my feet. Herst. You accepted the risks and you accepted my cash! You failed the job and I want my money back.”

Herst stood with his back to the main chamber door, hoping that he was to be undisturbed as he held the once-powerful politician hostage.

"Welcome to the planet Hamra!"

A Protocol Droid greeted Lance while exited the spaceport, he placed his hands inside of his pockets adjusting his brown hat that was slipping from his head. "So much sand," Lance muttered walking out of the spaceport while the droid followed. "I fucking hate it."

About a week ago, his starship had broken down and Lance was bereft of the credits needed to repair it. Due to the Hyperspace war, many of the high paying contracts have been taken by mercenary groups or required a ship so it can be used to smuggle goods to pinned down GA troops. Lance was tempted to go back to SJC space and order another ship though command has become suspiciously quiet lately something which made Lance suspicious. Despite enjoying life as a Bounty Hunter at the end of the day, Lance was still a clone created to serve the Silver Jedi Order and all of its interests.

More specifically, Lance was a spy trained to scout out the factions that could be a threat to the SJC. He was created to be cut above the average clone trooper who were still using strains of genetic makeup from Jango Fett. No, Lance was created from a Jedi Master named: Oda Martson his DNA combined with his ability with the Force created better though fewer clones called: The Oda class Clone. Lance was the clone of Oda's younger self though he didn't inherit his mannerisms, nor his accent compared to the obedient Jango Fett Clone Troopers.

"May I ask what is the purpose of your visit Master....."

The Droid snapped Lance back to reality as he stared at the Droid. "Deadlock," Lance replied. "Here for some work, with the Confederacy collapsing I'd figure one of your people could use a hired gun."

"Lady Hestel?" The Droid asked in a female metallic voice.

Lance gulped clenching his fists, his heart started to beat faster. Hestel.... that name was familiar she was the wife of the man he killed years ago for a contract. No one found out who the assailant was thankfully, but it was strange to be looking at the wife of a politician for work. If she ever found out....

"Yeah," Lance said.

"She's very busy at the moment," The Droid said. "Surely you must wait."

"Let me be the judge of that," Lance said as they entered the chambers only to see standoff going on. Lance stopped in his tracks placing his hand on the hilt of his blaster pistol. The awkward silence combined with the gasps of congressmen and soldiers when they saw Lance enter the room.

"Oh goodness me!" The Droid cried out.

No kidding, Lance eyed a man point his pistol towards what appeared to Hestel. She was an attractive woman with long red hair and a slim figure and she didn't seem to be too worried about what was going on. The man then turned around his gaze meeting Lance's. "Who are you?!" he shouted.

"Um," Lance furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm the Pizza delivery guy," Lance announced. "Sorry I'm late to the party traffic was busy! I have a double cheese, double pepperoni for Governor Hestel Shedo! You already paid via Credit Card!"

"Pizza?!" The assistant lowered his blaster pistol his face scrunched up with a mix of fury and confusion. "You fuc-"

A blaster bolt penetrated his skull causing the man to crumple to the ground back first. There were screams from the surrounding congress chambers as Lance held out his blaster pistol, smoke coming out of the barrel. He took a good look at the assailant now, his face was now scrunched up with shock, confusion and a whole lot of brain matter.

"Sorry about the mess," Lances said as blaster rifles from security were now trained on him. He placed down his pistol and held his hands up what a wonderful day he was having.

Hester Shedo Hester Shedo

The events moved quicker than she had anticipated. By the time she had understood what was going on, her assailant lay dead. She jumped up from her chair, taking in the view and taking stock of the new combatant. Her guards, assessing the situation, made for the newcomer, rifles raised and commands bellowing across the chamber, other court members taking their cue and hiding further.

Pizza delivery guy? Really?

Hester stood, her arm raised above her head. She cried out.

"Enough!"

She glared with intensity, eyes locked with that of the gunman ahead of her. He possessed a candour that she admired, a roguish attitude that was, dare she think it, attractive. She shifted her weight, her long dress gathered elegantly at her hips.

"Welcome to Hamra, lone gunman. I must say I owe you a debt of gratitude for...disposing of my little problem. Do you have a name?"

The security guards immediately obeyed lowering their weapons and allowing Lance to breathe a bit. "Thought they would shoot me," he thought. One can never be too cautious when it comes trigger happy guards especially when they wanted to appease their employer. As Lance knelt down to grab his weapon and holster it, he saw the Hester approaching him still keeping her cool demeanor. It was something he'd already admire about the woman nothing rattles her even when at gunpoint. Lesser people would've curled up in fetal position in a situation like this.

"Deadlock: Bounty Hunter," Lance stated walking towards her. "I gotta say not an hour on this planet and things already got interesting."

Lance chuckled. "It's exciting," he finished. "But I came to this planet to look for work Lady Shedo."

He looked at the mangled corpse behind them. "Take that guy over there as my resume," he chuckled.

The intrigue within her bubbled over, a sense of calculated curiosity becoming ever more dominant. She took a step forward, looking the man up and down, trying her best to get the mark of him without having to probe too much. The way a man looked could tell you so much. This one said only one thing; danger.

"
She'd be thrilled to make your acquaintance, I'm certain. Mr Deadlock, was it? A curious name if ever there was one. Is it a Core name? Or something you acquired?"

She turned her back on him for only a second as she motioned to a porter to bring over a tray of drinks, a variety of cocktails and tall drinks to please any appetite on offer.

Lance remained rooted onto the ground while Hester turned her back to grab some refreshments. Even though she ordered her men to stand down, he had a feeling that if they sniffed anything wrong then they would pepper him with blaster bolts. Then again these are the same people who allowed their governor to be held at gunpoint so their sense of danger may not be up to par. "It's a nickname that I've been given by clients." Lance answered once again his gaze staring at the corpse. "You and your friends just saw why."

It was a lie, it's a nickname that Lance gave to himself being inspired by the many frontier space holovids that he watched while he was in his pod. They inspired Lance to become bigger than just being a clone called upon to serve. Deadlock was an identity that Lance was comfortable with, it made him feel free. "It's an honor to meet a woman as lovely and fierce as yourself Lady Shedo," Lance said with a curt bow. "I've rarely seen a politician remain in control like you were a few minutes ago."

She let out a guffaw, her hand coquettishly racing to her mouth to imply she was embarrassed by her own outburst. She turned, looking at him with her deep eyes.

"I've barely gained it. When I fled the Confederacy after a decade of power, I had little but my wits about me."

She sipped a little of a purple looking drink that bubbled away in a tall glass.

"And a heap of cash. I can't forget the significant part that played in my being here now, talking to you."

She made her way back to her seat, taking the visitor in.

"I lost everything when the Vicelord returned. It seems, of course, that I was able to bolt before the whole thing collapsed in on itself. So I came here. I followed where the money led and I was able to convince the locals that I was able to run their very significant operation for them. The Mandalorians are here, thereabouts. They offer us all manner of protection to ensure our mining operations aren't impeded anymore."

She smirked that smirk once again.

"They saw off a host of pirates that were assaulting them relentlessly."

She gave a long stare. A stare that told him "I bought those pirates. I made them attack here. I paid them off. I make everything happen how I want it to happen."

'What are you doing this far out in the Hamra system?"

From what Lance has heard, the CIS has been dissolved with many of its vicelords scattered. Lance did receive a suggestion by Clone Command to investigate what happened and to report back. It could be a good opportunity to get some info. "May I ask what happened to the CIS?" Lance said while two of the guardsmen began to carry the corpse of the assailant away from the chambers. "I've been travelling the galaxy remaining mostly in Outer Rim Territories. I've heard news of the CIS collapsing but I've yet to figure out why."

The way Hester spoke about losing everything, Lance saw the irritation in her voice. Normally when a person loses their home and way of life, they would be broken. Yet with Hester she sounded as though she was inconvenienced, taking off his hat Lance sat on the leather chair in front of Hester. "It seems like I never left the Outer Rim," Lance remarked. "Not that I don't mind but the Confederacy had law and order as I recall correctly."

Hester gave a stare her eyes gave off a feeling that she planned something. The mercenary who allegedly was paid to hold off a pirate assault sounded simple, but Hester's expression suggested otherwise. "I can't help but get the feeling that there's more to that job than what you are letting on." Lance replied wondering if it was a wise decision to question a Governor even one who claimed to be weakened. "It's probably just that, a feeling ma'am but something tells me that it's more complicated. A guy like that don't enter a chamber and place gun to a Governor like that. They have to be stupid or suicidal."

Going off by gut instinct but Lance was playing with fire here at the moment. "I'm just looking for work," Lance answered. "As a Bounty Hunter, the pursuit of credits never stops."

She listened intently. She was making her mind up about this strange man and was surprised to find herself liking him, his attitude, his spirit. She found him earthy, somebody of substance and yet...cavalier. She liked cavalier.

"I have an opening. The former head of my personal security forces has had their employment terminated, quite suddenly."

The sound of a lone discharge of a blaster punctuated the statement dramatically.

"She didn't quite...live...up to my exacting standards...or even the most basic of her function. Keep me secure. Keep my assets secure. Keep me safe."

She stood, walking towards Deadlock.

"I'd like to see how you fare in my service if it's something you're up to. I can pay, of course. You'd have a suite of rooms within this complex. They're not palatial but they're better than a freighter or a ship, that I can promise. What do you think?"

Lance's skin bristled a bit when he heard the sound of blaster fire outside of Hester's office. Though his facial expression remained calm and cool, Lance's thoughts were anything but "The lady is cold," he thought frantically. "I've walked myself into a Rancor Pit."

"
I see," Lance got up the moment Hester stood up, he did want to make an impression on the woman and keep his head intact at the same time. "It'll be an honor for me to protect you, Governor Hestor." Lance said smiling. "I need to get my ship repaired and it's nice to have a place to crash."

He stood a little straighter keeping his gaze glued onto Hester's. "But I do have some conditions," Lance said his ears still ringing from that blaster shot from outside. "I would like it if I'm not operating under the fear of getting blown off. Let's not beat around the bush my lady about what just happened outside."

Lance continued to stand his ground. "A Bounty Hunter who has a gun to his head is not likely to provide the best protection."

The Bounty Hunter is fond of his face, he didn't want it to be melted off because Hester disapproved of his performance. "But let me tell you straight my lady." he said. "I never fucked anyone over in my life that did not have it coming. What you are getting is the best Bounty Hunter around and I got through it with true grit and of course....."

He pointed to his blaster pistol that rested on his holster. "Once that contract is signed, I will make sure that no one touches you, Governor." He continued. "Whoever that person was did a chit job, If it were me protecting you? That Pirate would be dead the moment he set on that planet. All I ask is in return."

Lance took a deep breath. "Is to trust me." he finished.

Her face relaxed. Her eyes glistened and she listened intently, her mind exploring countless possible options at that very moment. Turn him down, send him packing, have him shot for his galling attitude towards her.

But she liked it.

She like being challenged. Years of flying high as part of the political machine of one of the greater super...former superpowers had made her rely on deference and ass-kissing. She could never be certain if those that served her did it out of willing or out of blind force and weakened will.

In any case, she liked this character a great deal.

"Very well. I will trust you. Go, take whatever it is you need to get your ships repaired. I will see to it that the Enclave leave you be and have any past complaints that follow dealt with. Take stock of my fortress here-I will have the schematics made available to you. Perhaps you would care to join me for a little wander about the Higher Tier? The city of Atirak is a very interesting place."

It was bold for Lance to make demands from a person who on first impressions was a Governor who craved power and would do anything necessary to grow and maintain it. It was nothing new for political figures to crave power but with Hester her ambitions go beyond the typical political power struggle. It'll be interesting to see her motivations now that Confederacy collapsed. Last Lance checked after he killed Hester's husband, she quickly became a notable figure amongst the viceroys. She would have no problem taking out someone like him. Yet she agreed to Lance's turn much to the Bounty Hunter's relief. Sometimes you can't play things safe, in order to gain respect, one must overstep some boundaries especially as a Bounty Hunter.

"Thank you, Governor Hester," Lance said taking a bow. "Like you, I settle for nothing but the best."

He took out his Holoprojector. "I'll send the schematics to your people," Lance said. "As well as the parts I need, in the meantime I think it'll be nice to have a walk with you around the city."

A smile formed on his face. "Like I said before I'm already taking a liking to this planet." Lance chuckled. "Based on what just happened, I'm going to have to earn my pay here."

Lance placed on his hat. "This will be fun." he said.

Hester stood, offering a hand to show the newcomer the way out of the chamber, several armed enforcers falling behind her. The blistering sun was blinding for a moment, Hester squinting a little as she found her sun-visors, a sleek design from one of the artisan houses on Scarif. The sun there was just as blistering if not a little cooler in the way of general temperature.

She walked a little out of the main courtyard of sand that enclosed the hall of the Chief, leading out under an arched wall and into the main street, drinking halls, some small hotels and large houses lining the route towards the main hub of the city beneath, way down through the sprawl of open-tiered design that made Atirak the place of interest that it was.

She spoke to the gunman who had no doubt fallen behind.

"The walls of this city are near impenetrable but that doesn't stop assaults from the sky. The main issue we face is the security against the machinations of businessmen and rogues, pirates who seek to strangle the profits out of our way of life. Do you have any dealings with such people?"

One of the first things that Lance learned as a Bounty Hunter was to always keep your eyes open for potential threats. Lance often brags about having the quickest draw in the Galaxy but in all honesty, it wasn't just because he was quicker than the opponent. It was because he observed their facial expressions, quirks, or twitches. Being fast is one thing but knowing what your opponent was going do was another skill entirely. "Have you thought about investing in a shield dome?" Lance looking up. "I know a couple of Gungan engineers who can easily install one in your city."

He smiled. "Gungan shields can hold off even an orbital from a Star Destroyer." He said. "Gives you enough time to evacuate your people and for me to mobilize a good defense."

Lance casually tossed Hester a chip containing the information of the Gungan engineers. "As for Pirates and rouges?" He said leaning against a wall. "Definitely, when you've spent as much time in the Outer Rim as I did you tend to associate yourself with scum."

He chuckled. "You got to," he continued. "Otherwise, those guys will isolate and tear you to pieces. It's always best to build alliances in the Outer Rim in order to cover your ass."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom