Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Panoptes HUD and Sensor Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
Intent: To create a component for future submissions and role-playing.
Image Source: N/A
Canon Link: N/A
Primary Source:
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
Manufacturer: Visanj T’shkali
Affiliation: Closed-Market
Model: Panoptes HUD and Sensor Suite
Modularity: Yes; can be integrated in various helmets, armor, and other devices.
Production: Mass-Production
Material: Reinforced Duraplast, 3-D Holoprojector, Dendrite, Insulated Electronics Components

SPECIAL COMPONENTS / FEATURES:
STRENGTHS:
  • Provides a wide-range variety of sensors, combining them into a single, compact package using micronization and advanced redundancy / efficiency methods to provide users with a remarkable amount of information, enhancing situational awareness significantly.
  • Vision enhancements and special targeting-acquisition and assistance improve combat effectiveness for trained marksmen.
  • Augmented-reality HUD interfaces with comlink systems to create visual transcripts, display transmitted images and recordings, and more, optimizing communications experience and providing users with digestible, real-time information.
  • Various sensors and scanners can be toggled on or off, or even pre-programmed into tailored micro-packages allowing users to customize features at will for any situation or mission-specific needs.
WEAKNESSES:
  • Due to micronization, the range of many of the sensors and scanners used in this component are limited to a maximum effective range of 5 km, and many of the chemical sensors to 500m or less with a few (e.g. Hypnoscan, Truth Meter, etc.) working at point-blank or personal range only.
  • It is possible to overload both the user and the system with too much information, creating confusion, disorientation, etc. when using all included scanners, sensors, vision-enhancements, etc. at once. While the droid brain can process and filter information very quickly, it cannot handle too much with the same efficiency, creating lag, disruptions, etc. which can be costly and even dangerous for users. It is highly recommended to limit active use to needed systems only.
  • Using all systems at once has the further drawback of draining power supplies and overwhelming shared antenna, etc. Thus, range, effectiveness, accuracy, and duration can all be negatively affected.
  • While hardened against EMP/Ion, it is not protected against massive attacks using these methods, and further, just as flash bangs and similar weapons can temporarily disrupt or deactivate sensors, this is no different and the same vulnerability exists.
  • Beyond the anti-EMP/Ion hardening, this component is only as protected as the vehicle, armor, helmet, or other systems in which it is used and will inevitably share the same resistances as those systems.
  • Designed for portability and versatility, it lacks the exhaustive memory capacity of many systems and unless paired with an operational comlink of sufficient power and/or a secondary memory system, this component only retains 30:00 of information history, continuously deleting older information to allow room for newer.
DESCRIPTION:

Knowledge wins battles and knowledge saves lives. That is the maxim that the Panoptes was designed around. Able to provide users with a vast wealth of situational information and awareness, assist and enhance combat performance and piloting, even providing survey information and assistance with protocol and linguistics, the Panoptes is quite possibly the most powerful and far-ranging component of its kind. Be it in the midst of a congested Coruscant district or on the surface of a newly-discovered world, Panoptes will provide its users with real-time information that can be custom-fitted to any situation.

Requiring a potent source of power and sharing the vulnerabilities of whichever system it is used in, Panoptes has limitations. Not the least of which is that it might be too powerful, as the sheer volume of information the various elements provide can overwhelm both the system and its user. While limiters are engaged in the droid brain processor, it is strongly advised that users do not operate with all subsystems engaged. For this reason, voice commands to toggle individual subsystems on or off and pre-set selective packages are possible, enabling users to tailor active subsystems for situational necessity. An after-market secondary memory system may be required to expand the limited informational history of the component, which otherwise only retains up to 30:00 of most-recent data.

[member="Visanj T'shkali"],

Hey there!

Looks like you just about took every wookipedia link and threw it on here! lol. So here is something I want to let you know before I grab that green approval stamp.

With the amount of systems on here, I recommend reducing the production level a bit. While you are not required too, I feel its kind of over kill to have so many systems on an item that could literally be handed to just anyone walking down the street. Secondly, the amount of software updates, or just general upkeep of a system like this, makes me believe that a Mass production level, is realistically not possible.

However, these are just recommendations, so you can keep it how you like at the end of the day. Just let me know what you decide to do.

[member="Vigil Rostu"], thank you for reviewing this submission. I really appreciate the speed and energy in the Factory presently and all of you for taking time to make that happen.

As for this particular sub, may I give a bit of logic behind it:

1. Most of the Wookieepedia canon items have been in use since thousands of years before anyone who fought in the Clone Wars was born. Little has changed since then, and systems in the days of Darth Revan are the same systems we're fiddling about with now. I recall a time in the distant path of this world when phones were moored to walls and weighed several kg of hardened plastic and stainless steel and one was forced to spin a wheel several times in absolute specificity to achieve the coveted phone call over their party line. Today, my phone, along with my camera, video camera, word processor, calculator, VCR, DVR, computer modem, scanner, flashlight, video game console, and more, sits in the breast pocket of my shirt, is smaller than my hand, weighs under 1kg. and is not wider than three or four stacked pennies! This happened in my lifetime. An entire office, half of my home entertainment, and more, condensed into a single device that is portable. If not for the requirement of a view-able screen, the device would be 2/3 smaller still. If we can do this here, why not in Chaos?

2. That same phone is mass produced and sold by the millions to customers across the map and around the world. It regularly updates itself or else requires me to authorize an update, which it performs quietly and usually quickly, and without incident. Why would software updates inhibit mass production? Phones break too, and they are replaceable for around as low as a hundred dollars to as much as a thousand or more. Specialized repair and sales places have sprung up beside every payday advance loan center and strip mall defense attorney in the land in just a few years' time. The upkeep, service plans, etc. are manageable. So much so that part-time workers and even homeless persons have them. If the market can sustain them, and the cost of production and service be kept to a value that consumers can accept, the presence of this technology will be neither hindered nor replaced.

So, what I am saying here is that micronizing technology that is thousands of years old, using new materials and technology to make it durable, affordable, and manageable for users is neither an innovation nor an aberration realistically. To pretend that it isn't the logical step forward and isn't realistic is to ignore the evidence which surrounds us everyday.

So with that, I ask you to please leave it as is. I wanted you to know that I was not dismissing your recommendations - and quite often I take them without hesitation - but that in this case I feel confident and right in staying with the original submission, and needed you to know that this request is based in some logic and not mere dismissal and certainly there is no disrespect. Thank you again.

[member="Visanj T'shkali"],

Not a problem at all. All we do at the end of the day is try to present an easy experiences for the new comers to the site, people who may not be more technologically applied, or for the die hard fans. So thank you for the kind words. Now, back to the topic at hand!

1, I completely agree. Phones and their application have greatly expanded in their usage. Becoming smaller and more easily accessible than ever. Phones have evolved and updated since their conception, at such a dramatically fast rate comparable to other technologies in the world. The amount of time we spend in the "Stone age" And "Bronze Age" saw advancements in technology based around warfare, but where done over literal HUNDREDS if not THOUSANDS of years. Where as the phone has been done within a life time shorter than the average human life expectancy. Don't worry. I agree with you there. However, I have one point of contention that I will leave with you as just an overall warning.

2, While it is easily viable that one could create such a useful item, this is all stated in theory. I do not know your background in the technology field, however I do know you have quite a wealth of knowledge. So while I did mention updates to software and the such as, to be honest, lame reasons for it being limited, its more so my feeling that having so many systems such as anything from Military grade sensors and processes to find weak points in say, Vehicle armor, and able to track said weak points, just by looking at it, all the way down to a simple search of what food you happen to be looking at. Is that so many processes, requires a metric butt ton of data, logging, software to not fight one another or cross one another and accidentally corrupt data, or just straight up run at super sluggish speeds, or outright give you the good ol' Blue Screen of death. Even now, to this day, Computers and phones have a limit to what they can do because we simply do not have the technology to be able to use all of what is potentially at our disposal. While yes, this is star wars and quite a lot is handwaved or beefed up because "Sci Fi" and "Future!" There are still limitations to everything in a realistic world. While I am only one voice thinking like this, I can for sure bet that someone else down the line may see the same view I do.

Yes, you have every right to keep it as is. You are not breaking any rules in the current iteration of the factory (So far as I can tell), and there is theory crafting and logic with this. Not just someone trying to make random stuff. So please, use this responsibly, and try your best to not get this reported. Because if it does, we will have to pull this out of the archive and smack it down a couple notches.

Enjoy the super powerful HUD suite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom