Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Overridden and Overruled

Cophrigin V, the Scar Worlds

"What is this stuff?"

Scott, Percival's brother, posed the question. Meanwhile their other brother Galahad rubbed two fingers on the green leaf of a plant. His fingertips came away coated with the strange red matter that had seemingly dusted everything in their immediate vicinity.

"It follows a path," Percival remarked, pointing deeper into the forest. "I think someone passed through here, and spread it on everything as they went."

Cophrigin V was a verdant garden world, rich with life - or so it had been before the Bryn'adul conquered it. Now that the Bryn were gone, nature was beginning to creep back in. House Io had funded efforts to restore the old ecosystems of the planet, rooting native plants in enriched soil and releasing rescued animals back into the wild.

But this red gunk was not native to the planet. Any foreign substances introduced to the environment, especially while it was still in such a vulnerable state, could have disastrous effects on Cophrigin's recovery. Thus, the three brothers had immediately set out to investigate the source of the red matter and find out what it was.

"Do you suppose whoever or whatever spread this is dangerous?" Galahad inquired, smearing the red across his fingers.

"Do you suppose this stuff itself is dangerous?" Scott shot back.

"We'll disinfect ourselves thoroughly before we return to base, just to be sure," Percival said, leading the way. "Come on, let's figure this mystery out. I want to get back before dinnertime."

"What, are you having another date with your girlfriend?" Scott teased, falling into step behind his brother.

"Is it not enough to simply want food while it's still hot?" Galahad asked with a sigh. The brothers' banter echoed through the woods as they tramped along.

bAS78iR.png

Her rot was born of the Bryn.

Or so she was lead to believe. The Bryn had a hand in what consumed her body, but it wasn't the Bryn alone who made it. Alchemy. Dark and twisted magic. Magic she was learning to control herself. Well not magic. Science, as she was told. Science altered by the Force? It was confusing, but what she learned was her Rot hadn't bloomed to what it could be. It's why she was here. Another world broken by the Bryn, as she had been. If not for their involvement, would her Rot have already bloomed?

Without answers, she experimented. Spread more of her rotted blood, watched the plants wither and change. Break down to little more than red dust only to spread through the wind. Curiously, the plants that dust touched didn't wither or erode. They warped. Changed. Slowly, at first, but she could accelerate it herself. She sat amidst a field of red. Plants warped and twisted, seeming to grow fungus of an unknown origin. Beautiful as it was wrong, in her mind.

But such a tranquil scene didn't last long. Others approached. The Miraluka lifted her head, turning her face towards where she could feel a trio arrive. They were loud. Obnoxious. She moved, slipping behind one of the warped trees, moving out of sight to watch and observe.

Percival Io Percival Io

It wasn't long before they began to notice the changes. The plants around them that had been touched by the red either withered and crumbled like ash, or they transformed into something different. Something stranger.

"Should we be worried about touching it?" Scott asked.

"Probably," Percival muttered, quickening his pace.

Galahad shook his head. "It's probably only able to alter the plants. We're not plants."

"We're made of Vong tissue, though. If this shit is like Alpha Red..."

A note of genuine terror in his brother's voice prompted Percival to pause. He faced Scott. The copy's head was shorn, a reminder of the shot to the head he had sustained during the invasion of Empress Teta. Before the battle, his hair had been the longest of the identical trio.

"If you want to go back, I won't try to stop you," Percival said, meeting Scott's eyes.

Scott shook his head and snorted to hide his all-too-mortal emotions. "And leave you guys out here by yourselves? Nah. I'm sticking around."

<<Quiet.>> The sudden technopathic command from Galahad silenced them. <<Look.>>

Percival and Scott turned in the direction Galahad had indicated. There was a clearing in the midst of the forest that was filled with a scarlet mist.

<<Is this the place where it all came from?>> Scott asked.

Walking cautiously into the clearing, Percival looked around. The red fog was thick, but the dust was already beginning to settle on the ground and the trees. One hand rested on the barrel of his disruptor as green photoreceptors scanned the area, looking for signs of life...

bAS78iR.png

"I knew it."

Surea slipped out from her hiding spot, just behind one of the brothers. Blade in hand. She moved like a shade of death. And only spoke up after her blade had already pierced through the back of Scott. The dull golden blade pierced where a heart should have been. But nothing. She kept her blade imbedded regardless, as if trying to pin Scott with the weapon and use him as a shield from the other two.

"What are you."

Percival Io Percival Io

Scott didn't make a sound when the blade pierced his back, but the technopathic bond he shared with his brothers was suddenly flooded with reports of the damage done to his systems. Percival whirled around to find a woman standing behind Scott, her sword impaling him through the heart.

The disruptor left the holster and aimed at the woman, yet Percival hesitated. She was using Scott as a shield. He couldn't shoot her, no matter how badly he wanted to vaporize this mysterious witch.

Galahad, being a pacifist, hadn't brought any weapons with him. He stood watching the woman warily, hands raised and fingers outstretched. Percival knew the pose - he was ready to stun her with an electrical discharge from the organs hidden in his fingertips, should the need arise.

She asked a question.

"What are you?"

"Chaplain Neutralizer Model 1, unit Percival, of House Io," Percival replied smoothly. "Are you the one producing this red fog?"

Scott had slumped forward, twitching faintly. The damage done to his dovin basal heart meant that he was no longer fully functioning, but still quite salvageable. Percival intended to make sure he sustained no further damage.

bAS78iR.png

"Yes." So cyborgs? Or at least she assumed cyborgs. They seemed human enough, but the Force.. It was weird around them. Surea didn't trust it for a moment. Her grip on Scott tightened as he seemed to fall forward. Was he dead? No, they were treating her like she had a hostage. That worked fine for her. "Are you here to stop me?"

Percival Io Percival Io

bAS78iR.png

"I'm here to fix the wrong of the Bryn with what they did to me." Well, fix wasn't the right word. Surea wanted to restart this world with her Rot, free it from what the Bryn had done. Then again, this didn't seem like Bryn terraforming? "Are you responsible for this life?"

Percival Io Percival Io

"House Io began as a refuge for those fleeing the Bryn. We have funded many efforts to restore the Scar Worlds to their former glory." Percival maintained eye contact with the woman, his strange clockwork eyes unblinking. "You say that the Bryn'adul did something to you?"

bAS78iR.png

"Nothing more than what they'd done to any other." Her brow furrowed deeper. She kept the body close, at first. Then slowly pulled her blade free. Still holding Scott, but at least not impaling him. If he was even still alive. She could neither tell nor did she care when it came to machines.

"I ask again. Are you here to stop me?"

Percival Io Percival Io

Percival had long since learned how to control his expressions and body language. He displayed no emotion as the woman removed her blade from his brother's back. Internally, he was at war with himself. Should he let her believe what she wanted, in order to ensure Scott's safety? Or should he press the matter further and trust that Scott was durable enough to withstand whatever cruelties she could come up with?

He came to a decision in a matter of nanoseconds, his droid brain working far faster than a human could possibly comprehend.

"That depends," he replied. "The red matter caused some of the plants to wither, while others have mutated. Either way, you don't seem to be aiming to restore this world so much as change it. Mold it into something else. Can you promise me that Cophrigin V will be fit to live upon when you're through with it?"

bAS78iR.png

"I cannot." Surea saw no reason to lie. Odds were they'd inspect and watch whatever she was doing regardless of her answer. "I didn't know things would mutate, let alone what they might mutate into." With no eyes it was hard to tell what she was looking at. Impossible for those without the Force, perhaps. Their weapons, both Percival and the remaining brother. Scott's too, for that matter. Just in case he was still operational.

"A bargain. I leave, remove this here, and find another Bryn world you have no plans to restore."

Percival Io Percival Io

"You would have to pick a world inhospitable to life," Percival replied. "I don't think there are many like that which could sustain you or this red matter. Unless it can sustain itself without feeding off of plants and animals."

bAS78iR.png

"Right." The negotiations were short, then. Surea tightened her grip on Scott for only a moment, then threw the body forward towards Perci. Threw, not pushed. The inhuman might of her cybernetic throwing the body as she dipped back. Rushing behind the trees she'd hidden behind before as cover. Was there a point to kill the trio? She assumed not. Droids were annoyingly connected to all manner of things, wirelessly at that.

She was known.

"Then I will find another world." Stubborn desire for revenge was the only reason she bothered here in the first place. The Bryn, she needed to kill them. But she was weak. Survival was what mattered, not revenge.

Percival Io Percival Io

The woman gave a curt, one-word answer that didn't reveal much about what she was really thinking. For a few moments, they seemed to be caught at an awkward standstill. Then with sudden violence, she threw Scott's motionless body at Percival. The toss was backed by superhuman strength that would have bowled over the average human, but Percival, with his lightning-fast reflexes and droid physique, reached out and caught his brother with one arm.

Already the wound she had inflicted in him was beginning to heal, the punctured flesh in Scott's torso sealing rapidly. Percival kept his disruptor trained upon the woman, but catching Scott had temporarily distracted him. She had disappeared among the trees again.

Galahad had kept his eyes peeled, though. <<She's over there. Should I follow her?>>

<<No,>> Percival replied. <<But we'll notify the others to be on the lookout for this one. Right now, we need a cleanup crew to get rid of the red matter before it has the chance to spread any further.>>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom