Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Overdue Visit

Kestri/Tor Valum Hospital
Afternoon/Snowing

fpQfGKN.jpg

The fight on Dromund Kaas was rough but manageable. It almost felt like a chill day, in all fairness. The resistance was lighter than Shai was used to, and the pressure wasn't so bad. By all accounts, it was a decent day. But what she wasn't expecting was Vulcan going off on his own and getting into a heap of trouble because of it. The moment that distress signal reached her, she was off to get him back to an Imperial field hospital before getting him on a gunship bound for the mothership.

She felt guilty.

She should have paid attention, kept a closer eye on movements and radio chatter. But at least Vulc got out of there safely and they managed to win the day. That was all that mattered. What was also splendid news was that he was making decent recovery and adapting well to his new leg. She hoped that was the case. But what piled onto her guilt was the fact that she didn't get to him as soon as she would have liked. With the whole task force, clan business, and imperial stuff going on, her visit to the hospital took far too long. But she made room. She told a bunch of people to kark off, told a few others to hold up, and then she sped off to the hospital to find her boy.

She finally managed to track down his room and slowly peered inside to look for the boy. "Vulc? You still kicking?" She only realized the bad taste of her greeting after the words left her mouth. With a guilty face she entered his room and made her way over to his bed. "Hey, kiddo. How're you feelin'?" She asked gently as a small smile formed on her lips.

Vulcan Krayt Vulcan Krayt

fpQfGKN.jpeg

Time: Afternoon
Weather: Snowing
Tags: Shai Maji Shai Maji

enclavediv4.png

Vulcan was very lucky he was fortunate to come round on the second go of treatment of Hypothermia. He was without a helmet when they found and brought him to hospital, in his chilled downstate he felt inexplicably hot, so he took off his armour as if on automatic, deaf to R2's frantic beeps before blacking out from everything. He was unaware of his evac to the hospital or that he was deeply unresponsive. They did everything to save the now blackened limb, but in the end, had to remove it below the knee. They read through his medical history to check his blood type and any known medical issues. Routine things.

Afterwards, he was moved to a recuperation ward, he has been a very lucky boy, they need the wound to heal enough before they can replace it with a prosthetic. But for now, the worst was over. Vulcan soon woke up, his head swam, and the bed linen was comfy, so much so that he didn't want to awaken. But he had to, the lights came into focus and the respirator pinched his cheeks. But at least he was alive.

But the feeling of having something missing, made Vulcan almost dread what's under the sheets, but he looked under the covers and at his stump for a leg, Surprisingly he kept calm, but still, he couldn't believe his bad luck, now his socks won't match. He was meaning to wear the ones with spots on them for a while now.

Eventually, he is to be getting a new leg now, which means he can get out of bed. Good, the pillows were getting lumpy and his remaining foot was restless. Everything connected well and it didn't rub the skin. It was now ready. Vulcan's next task was to relearn to walk. If he can fly a jetpack after a dozen tries, a metal leg will be a piece of the pie ... cake. He chuckled at the memory of his first lesson.

What made his day even better is Shai, she's come to visit. He was glad to see her, the nurses were nice but they were too busy and never were the same ones, he couldn't keep track. A familiar face is exactly what was needed here.

<"Better than when I got here, although the food tastes bland."> He chirped in reply, giving his half-eaten lunch a poke with his fork.

With a sad chuckle Shai looked at the food and then at her kiddie. ”Yeah, hospital food is rarely good. I did make you something, though...” She reached into the satchel slung around her shoulder a d pulled out a lunchbox. Inside, two sandwiches made of freshly baked bread stared back at Vulcan as Shai set it down in front of him. ”This was my first rodeo actually baking a proper bread... hope it didn’t come out too bad.” She chuckled as she scratched her mane and looked up to him.

Her smile faltered as she rested a hand on Vulcan’s shoulder. ”I’m sorry, kiddo. I should have sent a squad with you when I had the chance. Shouldn’t have let you go out and fight them on your own.” She looked at the stub for a moment as she gently squeezed his shoulder. ”You did well, though. I checked the reports. Apparently you brought hell down on that harpy.” She smiled again as she lightly shook him. She wanted to lift his mood. He needed it now. ”Can I get ya anything? You still comfortable?” She asked him with a hint of concern as she looked him over.

”I’ll ask Alora to figure out some upgrades for your replacement. Try and make it as good as it can get, just for you. It’s the least I can do.” The offer was accompanied by a reassuring smile as Shai picked at his food and popped a piece of meat into her maw. No wonder the boy was complaining. It tasted more soulless than a Verd going full Sith. ”I see what you mean. Hot damn, can food be tried for treason?” She commented, scrounging her nose as she studied the meal.

enclavediv4.png

Vulcan perked up and opened the food parcel, two sandwiches greeted his hungry gaze. He took a bite out of one, a pause and then, he devoured it fully. Content and pleased. He was impressed with Shai's first rodeo. He pushed the hospital food away and put the sandwiches on the table nearby. The vegetables were edible, but the meat was slimy and felt like he was chewing overcooked rubber pellets. Shai's food was absolutely the tastiest he's eaten thus far and he wanted to eat the other one, but then he'll have none for later.

<"These are good, love 'em."> He says, savouring his final bite. His eyes sparkled.

The conversation shifted to the battle, he knew it would. this was also on him, he shouldn't have gone off on his own like that. He should have stayed where he can be part of the bigger forces. But he went ahead and split anyway. Then he engaged in a battle of his life in the cold Southern Pole. He won, but he took quite a cost for doing so, he soon swelled with pride at his success in the report, he did what he had to. He will be wanting to read the report as well at a later date.

<"She was a heavy fight, she was a slippery one, she was all icy too, but I got her."> He says triumphantly. His enthusiasm returned. He even looked less pale. So far the pain dampeners were still working, so that's good.

So he shook his head, he didn't need anything at the moment, but he did focus on the possibilities of upgrades, he had a few in mind, so he sat up a little straighter, full attention was now on Shai. The first question was about the material.

<"Hmmm, there are so many possibilities. Beskar is one for the metal."> He listed off, pausing before continuing. <"Whistlin' birds and storage spaces, and will allow me to wear socks.">

He gave his stub a gentle scratch, the trouble with healing is that it itches something awful, but at least he knows it's healing. He grinned at Shai's reaction, the hospital food was not very nice at all.

<"I dunno, I've never seen food get tried for treason before."> He replied, helping himself to the second sandwich.

Last edited:
Shai could clearly see his mood lift as he bit into the sandwiches. Her spirits raised as well as she met the boy’s smile with a smile of her own. ”If you want more, I can make more. There’s still a full loaf on my ship.” She commented.

He seemed to get better with each passing moment which simply helped her to relax. As long as she saw that smile, she knew that he would be alright. She already lost too many, she didn’t need to lose another of her kiddies. It was already a massive dilemma for her on whether or not to take Vulcan into the front lines.

She was going to need to think long and hard over it.

”Alora will definitely be able to organise that. Socks too, she’s got a hell of a wardrobe.” She snickered. ”But first we gotta get you that leg.” She drifted off in thought for a few seconds. The fact that she was so casual about it. She needed to talk to him about going into the front lines. He was the future of their clan. She didn’t want to risk losing him too.

Her eyes glanced back to him as she smiled again. ”Yeah well strap in, ‘cause I swear today will be the first.” She grumbled, picking at his food with a frown.

”Hey, uh... I wanted to talk to you. About something important.” She sat on the edge of the bed and rested a hand on his shoulder. ”I’m... afraid... for your life, Vulc. This...” She gestured to his leg. ”... Was too close. You’ve won. Panatha, Dromund Kaas, no matter where you go, you dominate. But... what I’m tryin’ to say is... do you still want to be on the front lines?” She managed to ask gently.

”You’re still young, you got a lot still left to do. I want to know if you’re still okay, kiddo. ‘Cause I’m worried about you when the rounds start flying.” She squeezed his shoulder lightly as she looked down at him with concern.

enclavediv4.png

He nodded in excitement at the possibility of more sandwiches, he would have to have a word with the staff about food, because sandwiches would be better than what they have now, tonight is stew and the last two bowls of the stuff made him feel bloated and gassy. The meat in that was just as rubbery.

He doubted anyone actively likes the food here and the cook is certainly doesn't care if those eating it like it or not. There is nothing more sad than a cook that stopped caring, but he can understand why that spark left.

Those who say they do like the stuff here are lying. The jelly was alright, he wished they brought two cups when he asked two nights prior. They said no, but he'll pester them until they do.

Helping himself to the last sandwich, he began to think about what Shai had said next. Not being in the front lines, he liked fighting. What could he do away from the front? He began to think, absently scratching the stub. So itchy, thankfully his nails are short to do their job but not cause injury. He survived twice, well this time was a close call.

Which gave him a lot to think about, he was drawn to fighting, he took to it like ducks to water, but now it's coming to a point where he can ill afford another injury like this one. But still, will he be Mandalorian if he stays off the front lines?

The artillery way back? Aim and hit from afar, so he could fight but not with the same capacity he once had. But he enjoyed going in with the squad, he was efficient there being within the warzone. But still the realisation that he may not be so lucky began to sink in. Despite everything, he felt pretty okay, he did have to be aware of phantom pain and how to relieve it when it does happen.

<"Front lines is where the fun happens, I want to fight, but also bake breads and edibles too."> He replies, really giving it some thought. <"I'm sill doing pretty good and I will still fight.">

Seeing Vulcan light up at the prospect of more sandwiches didn't help to keep her mood lifted for the topic at hand. Sitting beside him, she watched as he mulled over her words in deep thought. She knew that it was a massive request to make of him, to stay off the vanguard and hang back for his own safety while the rest of them risked just as much as him. It was pretty unfair to ask that of him in hindsight, but the thought of losing another one of her kiddies weighed heavily on her heart. She knew that Eliz was alive... but she still didn't have the heart to face him after finding out that he lost his memory as well as his body.

And then there was Gwyn, who they had to save from a sadistic psychopath who tortured her for entire months on end. But then... that was the risk. "Welcome to the Mando'ade" was a quote she loved to throw around at people, but she neglected sometimes to understand just how much that line meant. How it included the horrors and risks of their lifestyle as warriors just as much as the glory and thrill.

As much as she wanted to keep him safe, he was still Mandalorian just like the rest of them... and he was a Krayt. They were hard and ruthless, beacons for the Mandalorian people.

Vulcan spoke up again and Shai's gaze moved from his stump up to his eyes. She didn't even realize she was staring at it. Shai nodded gently as she remained silent for a moment. "That's fair. You're Mandalorian. You're Krayt. You deserve to fight just as much as the rest of us." She admitted softly as she got up and wrapped an arm around him to hug him close to her.

She certainly didn't want to leave it at that. But continuing the argument now would not be fair at all. Maybe talking to Kranak or Alora might be on the menu to figure out the conundrum. "As long as you keep comin' back to bake us another bread." She joked, still holding onto him. The hesitation was clear in her voice. It wasn't fair of her to ask it... but she still kept thinking about it. She finally let go of him and sat down again next to him. "Once, uh... once we get your leg sorted out. Do you... want to continue with your training? I-I mean... maybe some more specialized stuff to help you get used to it." Her false smile was starting to crumble as she looked down again at his stump.

The smile faltered eventually and her shoulders hung low as she looked away. "I care about you, Vulc. I really do. You make me proud, my boy. I... I don't want to lose you. I know it ain't fair of me to ask you to hang back while the rest of us are in the thick of it..." Her hand gently rested on his injured leg. "... But this... I don't want to lose you. If you want to keep fighting, that's your choice and I'll respect it. But just... just promise me one thing." Her cybernetic gaze shifted from her Beskar hand and fake skin to his own gaze, his gentle features and young face. "You come back. You keep comin' back and you keep perfectin' all those recipes stuck to the mothership's fridge."

enclavediv4.png

He noticed Shai was not like Shai. He knows that it is her, but she doesn't seem to be herself. From what he was told days after there was a worry about him pulling through. But he did and he'll continue to do so. The prospect of not being able to be a fighter worried him, he had been concerned about being a Mandalorian if he couldn't. He was a kid, and he needed to do childish things but at the same time, he needs his head firmly on his shoulders.

He breathed a sigh of relief knowing that he can still fight. But then there is the recovery from bed to solid ground and he needs to get back on his feet once more. He can't lie here for weeks on end, because it will be boring and not kind on his back or his bottom. His foot was getting restless too. Training with Shai was always fun, dangerous and puts what he knows to the test. He's learned so much already, but he is always open to learning more.

<"I will look forward to training with you, I need to be up and moving around."> He chirped.

A Shai hug was always the best kind of hug, he returned it in kind. He was happy to be alive and able to see his Alor again. He had a lot to think about but right now he liked to be near someone at the moment. The positive out of all this is, that he gets to stick his recipes to his leg now, he tried it out, Beskar was magnetic. Many of his Clan-Mates were covered in magnets once they were in the kitchen, some even took a small magnetic present with them when they left. Jos Krayt got a magnet in the shape of some cherries for his help.

He grinned, the effect was lost with the rebreather, but his eyes sparkled. He had just about perfected the right amount of cinnamon in one of his pastries. Before, it had too much or too little. It wasn't right, so he had used another foundling as a taster, to check recipes, he had written most of them on magnetic slips of writable plastic with a marker. The fridge was full of recipes, to-do notes, doodles and novelty magnets, some began to populate the cupboard doors as well.

<"I will come back, and you bet those recipes will be the best ones yet."> He promised, putting his hand on hers. <"I promise.">

She smiled at his reassurances, consoling herself with his words that he would always come back. She could only hope so and keep drilling him to make sure those promises remained fulfilled. ”You better. Otherwise I’ll fly into the nether just to go pull you back out.” She joked. The prospect of training was still up in the air, and it all depended on when he would get his new leg.

”As soon as you get your leg and you’re cleared to leave, we’ll get to it. But first things first. Therapy.” She stood up from her seat on his bed and rested a hand on his shoulder. ”If you can’t walk on your own then you ain’t leaving here. I’ll get in contact with Alora. She helped me with training for fine motor control, she can do the same for you.” She also had her own reasons for visiting Alora. An odd question that was never answered. But that could wait. Vulcan was the priority.

She turned to leave, but leaned in to give him a quick kiss on the head. ”You get better, kiddo. I’ll bring you some more sandwiches.” She reassured him gently as she walked towards the door. ”I’ll try to visit again tomorrow. Been workin’ on a new ship design. It’s a pain in the ass.” She snickered, giving him a final wave goodbye before she disappeared out the door.

The coming days were spotty for Shai. With visits either cut short or turning into sleepovers with her passing out in a chair next to him. But she made sure to visit. When the weeks ticked by and the doctors helped him with the basic control of his leg, Shai waited for him in the lobby of the hospital with a broad grin.

”The beast of Panatha finally walks again!” She cheered, wrapping an arm around him to walk him out and over to a nearby parked speeder. ”Clan’s been getting worried.” She quipped as the speeder started up and blasted off at a very unsafe speed.

Time: Noon
Weather: Sun and clouds

<"I swear that whatever happens, I will be coming back no matter what.">

Vulcan reassured Shai that he is resolute in his promise to not die. He should be healed enough to be fitted with a new leg soon, but a few weeks are needed to check the healing and the size. he will be happy to get away from the hospital. He hated being stuck in one place, even if at the moment he had no choice. What was worse visiting time was over, he knew that Shai will come back but he didn't want her to leave, but he had to. He will as soon as he gets a new leg he will be getting up and walking, even if it looked off, he'll be out of here.

<"I'll bounce back better than ever."> He chirped, as he waved goodbye to Shai, today has been a great day, his mood was better than ever. Although he needed a bath tonight which he being a teenager was not a great fan of, however, it went better than the last 10 times it happened.

By the next day, Vulcan was awake, hair washed, clean sheets the works. Every visit was special, and the sandwiches tasted better with each visit as the hospital food was the same thing, day after day. He swore they reused the eggs left over. He also got visits from the orthopaedic doctors to assess his readiness to be fitted with a new leg, these doctor visits were usually before Shai arrived.

He knew his Alor was busy with stuff that needed to be built and that she has many other places to go, which is why every visit was special and the sleepovers were great too. He loved company more so than ever.

The day finally came when he was fitted with his leg, Vulcan being Vulcan tried to run before he could walk and promptly fell face-first onto the floor, he got a slight tap on his nose from the doctor for trying to do everything in one go without considering gravity, and that he needs to relearn motor skills.

It took several weeks of physio to relearn to walk again, he was now able to walk around the corridor by himself. But his motor skills were still very off, he doesn't move naturally. But it was enough to announce that he can be discharged after all the paperwork was sorted, but he did need to be wary of phantom limb pain and to let someone know of a flare-up

Vulcan proudly walked out of the ward and into the lobby, he grinned widely, but his mask ruined it slightly. Shai was there to greet him and he was finally back where he should be. Fresh air never felt so good.

<"Glad to be finally out of there, I missed you and my fellow Vod."> He chirped as he got into the speeder and it took off shortly after.

<"Wheeeeeeeee!"> He cheered as they sped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom