Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of the way and often overlooked…

Lilla Syrin

A great leap forward often requires first taking t
“Not the last of the old Jedi, Luke. The first of the new.”
― Obi-Wan Kenobi, to Luke Skywalker

Lilla wasn’t precisely lost – although it could reasonably be argued that not knowing where you were heading could be defined as such.

Her unshaking devotion to the Jedi Code was not up for debate. Nor was her belief that every Jedi – or exponent of the light-side – could and should walk their own path. For her own beliefs and understanding – or more importantly, as she saw it, interpretation of the Code was not for everyone. She would never condemn others for believing in what they believed in, and so was tolerant of many variations of the Code that had sprung up around the galaxy. Her own interpretation, she knew, was considered old-fashioned by many. But it was who she was, and so was not going to change to suit other’s viewpoint and nor did she expect them to follow her lead. As long as they did not use the dark-side and worked towards the greater good, she was relatively speakin relaxed.

Which brought her, in turn, to Eira Pechal – or more specifically the Jedi Praxeum. On the far edge of the habitable zone for the cooler white dwarf star it rotates around, she had made her way to the planet with three small moons, with at least one almost always visible in the sky, day and night.

It was not the most hospitable of planets, mostly arctic but Lilla was heading to one place in particular. Ishin’s Repose. Out in the mountains of the wastes, she had heard of a temple-in-progress. Its purpose? She had heard that one day it would be a fully functioning temple but right now it served as a beacon. A rallying point for Jedi to come and learn and teach. Jedi of any stripe, she’d heard.

So, she set her ship to land in a canyon, whose coordinates she had been given. It was not far from
Nocturne’s Rest, according to the charts she’d managed to acquire.

She was on, if you pardon the overused term, a journey. Yes, an obvious physical one – but also a metaphorical and spiritual one. She had never had a home and it would be fair to say she was not necessarily seeking one. But if one presented itself, she would be astute enough to recognise it when she saw it.

As she entered the atmosphere, she checked her coordinates and calculated she’d have no more than twenty minutes until she landed. What – or who – she might find there? Well, the Force had a way of taking care of these things.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

People that visited, traded with, or otherwise spent some time on Eira Pechal often had the same set of words to describe it. Frozen. Frigid. Unwelcoming. These words stood in contrast to how a native might’ve described it, and similarly they did not correspond with the growing understanding Zylah was getting of the place. It was cold, but she could deal with cold.

It was a beautiful planet. It felt beautiful to the Force. Calm, peaceful and serene. Her journey to Nocturne’s Rest had been well worth it, and she was glad she had made the pilgrimage on foot and had let the snubfighter be by the Jedi Praxeum.

The cold breeze brushed through her silver hair, bringing with it the smell of leaves and moss. She felt its soft touch upon her skin. One might’ve been forgiven for thinking she was frozen in place, given how extremely pale her skin seemed. But that was just how she was. If nothing else, the woman looked to be at peace. Deep in her meditations and in tune with the Force, such an observation was completely truthful.

The Jedi Praxeum, she pondered. Could this be home? Maybe its loose organization, as she understood it, was just what would suit her after all the time spent acting on her own. She had developed an independent mind because of it. That seemed to align with the Praxeum’s structure. Always when she acted on her own it was in accordance with the Jedi Code and the Force, she had never compromised on that. That too seemed to suit the Praxeum’s mentality. But Zylah had learned not to make assumptions. In time, their resolve would be tested. Time would reveal how they held up.

It was time to move. She hadn’t planned it, or set a timer. She simply knew. At this point she didn’t even question it. Zylah pulled up the wide hood of her dark brown robes, sheltering her somewhat from the sharp wind as she began her descent. It covered up her features more, as well as the beige tunics and undertunics underneath.

She felt a pull, and Zylah let it happen. Nocturne’s Rest wasn’t very far away from the Praxeum itself. This had not been intended as her final stop. She wanted to see Ishin’s Repose, and spend some time there. Maybe one day the construction of the temple would be complete, and she would stand watch, and observe as Padawans trained and played, like she herself had trained and played on Ossus.

| [member="Lilla Syrin"] |

Lilla Syrin

Lilla’s ship touched down. To the untrained eye, it looked no more than a beaten up old mid-sized freighter. Even to a trained eye, there was little to suggest it was anything more than the transport of choice of a down-on-her-luck trader. But under the proverbial bonnet, it was as good as anything you could buy on the market — with every possible upgrade fitted. But the external shabbiness suited Lilla, who could land in most places without drawing attention to herself.

She exited the ramp, her brown Jedi robes drawn tight to brace against the temperature — being brought up on a desert planet meant she felt the cold more than the next person. Lifting her hood, she looked around. It may not be much to look at, but it felt serene to the young Jedi — and she understood why the Praxeum would choose to be here.

And she sensed something else…someone else. Her arrival would have given them advanced warning she was coming and, given she sensed a Force aura, whoever was nearby was clearly a Jedi. A welcoming party or just another curious visitor? There was only one way to find out and, facing into the wind, she began to walk towards the person she’d sensed.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

The closer she got the clearer it became. She was straying off the path now. Not a detour, this was part of the journey. Who this other person was, she did not know. But she felt her. Why she had left when she had, and taken the direction she did made sense now. There was not much to say about the presence, other than it was benign. That felt good, for a change.

This seemed to be one of those rare locations on the planet where it was actually covered in some green. Yet the wind never let them forget where they were, and amidst the green, white never left their sight.

They were moving towards each other. Purposefully. The other one had sensed her too then. And soon enough, this person would come into view. The stranger became a she, and now all that remained was a name. As they got closer, Zylah pulled down her hood. It exposed her to the elements, sure, but she wanted to put on a friendly face before they got within earshot.

"Hello there" she said when they did. "Welcome to Eira Pechal. I am a stranger here too" she said to her fellow Jedi. The assumption was based off of a little bit of her own reasoning, and needed little guidance from the Force. The woman did not strike her as someone who had been born here. "I'm Zylah Dvale. Pleasure to meet you" She concluded with a well-rehearsed bow of the head.

| [member="Lilla Syrin"] |​

Lilla Syrin

Lilla neared the other person – the general aura became a sighting long before she was able to ascertain anything more through the Force. It was clearly another woman. And Lilla had the impression she was a visitor too. There were no hard facts – maybe it was just the fact that they were both out in the open, without a clear purpose. Perhaps Lilla was merely imposing her own motives on the stranger? Aware of this, she purged her mind of any prejudice or preconceptions. Let the meeting be the time for discovery and not one to confirm or refute assumptions made.

Lilla also lowered her hood, the wind wanting to play with her hair – but her ponytail held firm. And she could endure the discomfort of the cold on her ears for a while longer.

Lilla listened and once they were almost within touching distance, she bowed and straightening up, she smiled. “Hello,” she replied. “What are the odds?” she added. “And I am Lilla. Lilla Syrin. Formerly of the Republic Remnant Jedi Order. And, as keen as I am to understand what brought you here, I feel it’s only fair to share my reasons first. You see, I have been wandering. Not precisely lost – my compass still shows me the true path. But rather I am seeking a place to call home, or – at the very least – to consider as a base. I’d heard of this place, of the Jedi that operate here, and I was keen to find out more.”

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

The smile was returned with warmth. "Pleasure to meet you" she appreciated the openness of the stranger, and it encouraged her to do the same. There could be no understanding or bonding without a little give and take, after all. She saw no reason to withhold any information, especially not with a fellow Jedi.

"That is interesting! I'd like to hear how you feel about the Republic Remnant, if you don't mind. I am formerly of the Republic myself. Before it became a Remnant" she said, with a sort of laughing smile along with what had been intended as a light joke, although it threatened with its negative implications. The fall of law and order and descent into chaos was no laughing matter. But she brushed it aside before the thought could fester, sure her meaning would not be misinterpreted. The real reason she asked was more to investigate whether or not the Remnant could be a home for her as well. She had never truly found a place that suited her, or welcomed her like the old Republic had done.

"It sounds like we've been guided by very similar forces. I feel like I could repeat you word for word and it'd hold true for me as well. I've been mostly wandering the galaxy, allowing the Force as well as the Code to guide me." although she had been without an Order she had never felt like she wasn't a Jedi. "From time to time I've linked up with other Jedi and their orders, yet there hasn't been anything lasting. At some point or other there have always been..." she paused, looking for the right word. "...compromises demanded, that I haven't been willing to make."

"I haven't been with the Praxeum long, so I can't really vouch for them, or give an exact explanation of all of their traditions and practices. But they show promise, and I sense nothing but good intentions." Of course good intentions could easily lead to terrible deeds.

"Where are you headed? Perhaps we're going the same way" she said with a smile and a gesture, an invitation to make the trip together.

[member="Lilla Syrin"]​

Lilla Syrin

Lilla paid good attention – she was blessed with a good deal of patience and decent listening skills, traits she saw as being somewhat Jedi-like. Plus, as she experienced it, it stopped the recipient being preoccupied with what they wanted to say to the extent that they did not give full consideration to what the speaker was sharing.

Once she felt her fellow Jedi had shared as much as she wished this time around, she smiled and took a few seconds before responding. “My time as a Jedi post-dates the Republic, so I can’t comment objectively on what it was like before, or therefore compare or contrast. And, I must say, what I’m sharing now is based upon my own perceptions and opinions, and not everything I shall say can be considered absolute fact, but I have no interest in misleading you in any way.”

“I am, first and foremost – as the old saying has it – a Jedi. I honour the Code and its tenets and look to uphold the greater good. I am sure I am considered an old-fashioned Jedi in many of my ways – and I offer no apology for that. But neither do I expect, or insist, that others follow my ways. There are many, many paths to the light-side and I am not so conceited as to believe mine is the best, or the right one. But it is – in my opinion – right for me.”

“So, back to your actual question of my feelings towards the Remnant – or whatever it is called now? Great intentions and desirable goals. But, from time to time, I saw things that I could not condone, or heard things that I could not agree with. The decision to effectively abandon the planets that had supported them in their infancy? Orders to eradicate local religions and supplant them with Republic favourable ones? An underlying feeling – and I stress no more than a perception – that the Code was something that was paid lip-service too. And rumours. None substantiated but persistent and from reliable sources about the hierarchy in the Order. It was, overall, a drip-drip effect on my resolve and one day I could not be true to the Force and continue to be part of that Order.”

“And like you, I have yet to find a ‘perfect’ one and – through meditation – I have come to the conclusion that such a search is fruitless. If the Force has a home for me, I will surely find it. But for now, I shall do as much good as I can. My initial thoughts are to offer training and operate in an entirely non-political way – looking to counter the dark-side and clear criminal syndicates. I do not intend to offer my services to any governments. And so, to that end, I came here. To make contact, hear what the Praxeum’s philosophy is. And if we’re headed in the same direction, I’d certainly appreciate the company.”

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Zylah nodded, as the other woman shared her experiences, sensing no deception. She offered a smile and almost laughed with her, as she said she wouldn’t apologize for being old-fashioned. Zylah could relate to that. She imagined many would call her old-fashioned too, but it didn’t bother her. It was simply the way she had been brought up.

The tone darkened slightly as they went on to the topic of the Remnant, particularly when it came to abandoning old allies and eradicating religions. Zylah nodded with understanding, offering her sympathies but not wishing to interrupt her.

“I understand” she said simply, when the other woman had finished. And Zylah felt like she could understand her, even if the experiences were Lilla’s own. “I think you’re right. We must trust in the Force” what she said in regards to finding a perfect home made sense. And finding it wasn’t what was most important. Countering the Dark Side was indeed a project that ought to take priority, and she did not need a home, or even a family to accomplish it.

“I’ve been without a ‘perfect home’, as you say, for a while, but it hasn’t stopped me from doing my duty as a Jedi. On more than one occasion I’ve made life hard for the Sith, but it never feels like enough. Still, the Force has always found a way to show me the way. For what it’s worth, the Praxeum seem pretty open to let people explore their own paths, and don’t force compromises. Unless when it comes to the Dark Side. That’s a no-go, which I was happy to hear” she gave a brief chuckle as they continued their walk. “It feels like a good place to touch base, find allies, and share experiences.” For now, but Zylah remained optimistic.

“I’ve got myself set up on Ithor. A private little homestead, ideal for laying low or just meditating in absolute quiet. You’re welcome to drop by, if you ever find the time or need.” she smiled “Usually, if it’s not empty because we’re all away, you’d find either me, my Padawan Rosario, or Herron. He’s a bit of a hermit, but very friendly.” Maybe it was a bit early to trade that sort of information. Maybe nothing would ever come out of it. But when you got a good vibe you got a good vibe. And who knows, maybe the time would come when she was being hunted and needed a place to hide, and it could save her life.

“Speaking of Padawans, and I’m always curious to hear different views on this… What do you think? One Padawan per Jedi, or all up to what the individual thinks they can handle? Individual lessons here and there I always view as a good thing, but I don’t know. The orthodox answer would be a pretty strict one student per master, but these are dark times and the galaxy is changing. Jedi are scattered all over, without a unified order. Maybe the more people you can touch, and set on the right path, the better.”

[member="Lilla Syrin"]

Lilla Syrin

Lilla knew in her heart that what she had shared was the truth, and not some personal perception of facts – but she also knew she had a duty not to spread malicious rumours or incite anti-Remnant sentiment. But she could, with a clear conscience, say she only spoke things that she could back up – and had not shared a fraction of her misgivings, primarily as they were based upon an element of rumour, conjecture and – above all – a feeling. Not that, as a Jedi, she was encouraged to avoid such feelings, not when the Force was involved. And it was not as if she was about to bring the Remnant Jedi down based upon this conversation – but to withhold was, in Lilla’s eyes, an even worse state of affairs.

And Lilla nodded when she heard how Zylah had been working. It seemed more and more Jedi lived some form of nomadic existence – helping out here and there – without any formal allegiance. Yes, it called into question who precisely they served, but Lilla’s answer was always the same. She served the Light. “I’m glad about the whole light and dark-sided demarcation,” she explained. “To my mind, this is fundamental. Too often I have heard of dark-siders who mean well. Yet do people forget how a darks-sider uses the Force?” She smiled, “But I fear I am about to get on my soap-box. Suffice to say, I have strong views on the subject.”

“And I’m sure to visit Ithor sometime soon. I have no home, or base – but Tattooine tends to draw me back every now and then, although there is nothing permanent there for me to return to. Just memories really.”

“And the one Padawan aspect is preferable if it is a full-time situation. You only have so many hours in a day, Jedi or non-Jedi. So, the key, to me, is what time can be spared – and if no help was offered, what would the Padawan do instead? At that point, let your heart decide. The rule is a loose one and has been relaxed often in history – primarily for the reasons you outline.”

“So, how far to the…” she was suddenly struck by the fact she wasn’t entirely sure what she was heading for. “To…wherever we’re headed,” she added, with a smile.

[member="Zylah Dvale"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom