Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ori'beviin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intent: To create a specialized lance for Mandalorian heavy cavalry that can deliver a single, devastating blow to most known armor types before reverting to a simple, standard lance.
Development Thread: If Needed
Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics
Model: Ori'beviin
Affiliation: Mandalorian Protectors
Modularity: None aside from color, overall length, banners/pennons, and the weight of the counterweight behind the grip.
Production: Limited
Material: Beskar (grips can be plain beskar, leather, rubber, etc.)
Classification: Melee Weapon/Mounted Weapon
Size: One Handed
Length: ~3.6m
Weight: ~10kg
Special Features:
  • Lightsaber resistant
  • Heavy
  • Useful only on the charge
  • Monomolecular tip (Usable once only)
  • Requires at least some mounted training
Description:

With the introduction of mounted cavalry into the Mandalorian Protectors' troops and the need for a heavy hitting force capable of breaking enemy lines, the necessity of a devastating weapon for use on the charge was needed. Taking the existing bevii'ragir, Betna had Protector smiths build from the traditional design.

The resulting weapon was named the Ori'beviin, or Great Lance. The weapon was made of beskar, though not out of desire. The immense weight of bev'uliike with armor and armored rider required a durable metal to be used. As most other metals bent or snapped under the strain of impact and beskar was readily available, the Mandalorian Iron was used. The lance is approximately 3.6 meters long, though this depends on the riders' needs as some will need longer or shorter lances depending on size and strength, and weighs approximately 10 kilograms, again dependent on the rider.

To add to the weapon's devastating attack, Betna had the smiths, with Mandal Hypernautics machinery, add a monomolecular tip to the lances along with a small, removable durasteel cap to prevent the tip from being blunted before use. This was done for two reasons. First, with the advent of heavy armor seen in other armies, primarily the One Sith, a standard lance would cause blunt force trauma to the target alone. While normally this would be seen as sufficient for their needs, reports from Teta showed many Sith and Sith soldiers somehow shrugging off all but the most mortal of wounds, many delivered via blunt force trauma. The monomolecular tip would penetrate most known armors at a full charge from the back of a bev'uliik, including beskar'kandar. Second, with armored warfare becoming more common and the use of high quality metals such as phrik becoming more prevalent, the weapon required effectiveness against armored vehicles. The monomolecular point allowed this, easily penetrating all but the heaviest and thickest armors from the back of a charging bev'uliik. The concept for this ability was not to destroy the tank, but rather to perform a "soft" kill against the vehicle by damaging components, tracks, scopes, and incapacitating/killing crew in the process. The secondary realization was that if the lance was successfully withdrawn, a hole would be left, creating a weak point. The weapon was deemed a success, but due to cost constraints and the lesser need of the weapon as compared to other items such as beskade and bes'briike, the Ori'beviin was placed through a limited production run to place more conventional weapons at a higher priority.

The weapon is not without it's downfalls, however. The weapon is heavy and unwieldy, making the lance unsuited for melee combat. Also, as the weapon is nearly useless in hand to hand and other scenarios, the only real use it has is on the charge. Outside of lance charges, the weapon has little use outside of a decoration or ceremonial piece. The weapon does require some training to use from a mount as the lance is rather cumbersome and accurately hitting a target while charging is difficult to say the least. Also, without a mount, the weapon is unable to penetrate heavy armor successfully, and due to its length, weight, and design, the weapon is more or less useless on foot. Lastly, while the point is monomolecular, the tip will abrade after contacting another surface. The durasteel cap prevents the tip from blunting before actual use, but once the lance has impacted the target, intentionally or unintentionally, the point reverts back to becoming a simple, sharpened lance, albeit made from beskar.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
Cavalry huh? See how the Polish did with theirs against tanks….

I’m not entirely convinced about whether this is viable. After all, on Earth, cavalry were given up because of their inability to resist modern firepower.

I also fail to see how this is useful against vehicles. Even if you could make a small hole in a tank, you’re not using an explosive or anything else. Putting a small hole in a tank is not useful.

I would add in the most obvious flaw; which is that if the mount is killed or disabled, the lance is completely useless.

Can you please answer these questions before I consider passing this?

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
My inner history nerd is going off lol The myth of Polish cavalry charging tanks is a neat one, but a myth all the same. You can read the whole thing here, but the TL;DR is that the Polish cavalry charged an infantry unit, was driven back by an armored car unit, and then later a unit of German tanks parked in the field it had occurred in. When reporters passed through, they had nothing really explained to them and assumed the Poles had charged the tanks with lances and sabers. So, a bit of a mix-up, but a cool myth nonetheless.

Modern cavalry can't stand up to the weapons of modern war because we really don't have the ability for them to survive against the weapons used by vehicles and heavy infantry. Since this is Star Wars and it's for Mandos, who canonically have access to and utilize some of the heaviest and high quality armor in Star Wars, it becomes viable in more situations. Granted, you won't be charging a unit of, say, Skochas with much success, but a charge on the flank of some medium or light vehicles with infantry support with these weapons will devastate the enemy and Mando armor will shrug off most of the small arms and possible the lighter weapons on the vehicles, plus the shrapnel that can really screw up a cavalryman's day.

Anyways, I added in how it affects vehicles. Really it's not a "it blows up" kind of deal. More of a soft kill where you've disabled or damaged the vehicle beyond combat effectiveness. Also, depending on where the crew is, a lance like this on the charge could skewer someone if they're unlucky or the enemy knows roughly where the crew sits somehow.

Also, added in the lack-o'-mount weakness.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]
We're using the Taakur Bev'uliik with this weapon. The concept is that the Protectors don't have the necessary funding to invest in tanks, armored cars, etc. as they're spending most of their funding on fortifications. In lieu of that lack of funding, we go back to basics and reapply older tactics and methods with a more modern spin. The Ori'beviin is designed to be used with the Bev'uliik Cavalry who would be barded with the Bev'uliik Beskar'kandar as a type of Heavy Cavalry with a limited availability. The armor is limited production as is the lance, so the units would be limited as well and towards the small end of unit size (~30-50 with probably a PC leading them is all you'd see. On the defensive with Mandalorian worlds under attack, you may see two of these units, maybe, but no more than that).

TL;DR, we have a SW Rhino that we've put heavy beskar plating as a barding (weaknesses on the underbelly and feet) that Mandalorians will use as a heavy cavalry and utilize this lance. All together this will eventually form a limited availability unit for the Mandos to operate as a heavy cavalry with a devastating charge.

[member="Arrbi Betna"]
Remembering the example of war elephants, I am hesitant.

However, since you’ve answered my questions about this submission I’ll approve it. I will go on record and say I don’t think this cavalry idea works…but I’ll leave that to RPs to show.

Approved…hesitantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom