Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Doors on Dorin

Certain friends of hers would simply have bunched a course into the navigation computer and engaged the hyperdrive - and then mysteriously emerged unharmed at the desired destination. Not Amilthi. She had compared multiple star charts, plotted courses running the calculations twice for each of them, and then finally merged the data and determined the optimal one, on a stationary computer system more powerful than that installed in her little starfighter, to maximise her chances of not being swallowed by a black hole, of which there were two in the relative vicinity of Dorin.

This danger successfully avoided, she found herself faced with Dorin's tumultuous atmosphere. Thankfully, the Kel-Dor were as kind as they were clever and highly technologically advanced, and planetary traffic control was quick to provide instructions to approaching vessels as to where to enter the atmosphere, at what angle, and how to approach their eventual destination. Amilthi was far from a masterful pilot, and keeping the starfighter, whose wings provided much attack surface to winds, steady was not an easy task, but eventually, though not without triggering several of the flight control system alarms of her ship, she succeeded in touching it down without damage sustained. The traffic control officer kindly congratulated her in his thickly-accented Galactic Basic that was not entirely easy to understand over Amilthi's retrofitted communications system.

In the newfound quiet after stopping the engines and shutting down the systems, Amilthi looked up into the yellow sky through the canopy and took what would probably be the last truly satisfying breath in a while. She observed it meticulously, observed as the air touched her upper lip, her nostrils, flowed through her nose and down the windpipe into the lungs, noticed how her chest and belly expanded, and savoured the tingling, energising sensation that it evoked in her whole body.

The canopy popped open and Amilthi climbed out. Nothing felt immediately different. She had not brought a breather, and according to her research, she should not need one. The atmosphere was apparently harmless to humans for a limited amount of time, which meant, in light of her Force-altered metabolic processes, she should be able to endure it essentially indefinitely. And contact with the Force was, after all, what she was here for.

***​

The temple of the Baran Do Sages near Dor'Shan was a compact, massive building that had endured the ages. The present weather was, apparently, considered clement on Dorin, and so the large entrance hall, which was easily accessible to laymen, was largely empty. Dressed simply in coarse fabrics, a blue-grey skirt, a washed-out rosé tunic and a roomy, hooded grey coat, attire appropriate to any poor Outer Rim world, and being human, she must have stuck out very clearly, but she seemed thoroughly unconcerned and unintimidated. Neither, however, was her demeanour brash or her habitus overly confident. She simply seemed to be quietly resting in herself and comfortable that way.

Amilthi proceeded to the end of the open space, to a stage-like area that was slightly elevated from the rest of the hall, but did not immediately see anyone to address or any panel to interact with. She looked around, with a fine, expectant smile on her lips.

Eventually, she was approached by a young Kel Dor in brown robes who way probably a novice of some sort. He inquired politely whether he could help her. Amilthi very straightfowardly voiced her desire to be allowed to stay at the monastery for a while and learn from the Sages, which seemed to surprise him and leave him at a temporary loss. He excused himself that he was no authorised to take action and asked her to wait while he would consult a senior.

[member="Xos"]​

[member="Amilthi Camlenn"]
Peace and quiet were not the same thing. True quiet, well, that was impossible. At least for now, at least until death. But peace, that was not. It could be reached, touched, like gold in a stream. Rare, but worth finding. And Xos had gotten better and better at finding it for himself. Meditation and prophecy was the way of a Baran Do sage. And none did it more then Xos Drikre. His meditation now was interrupted, but his peace was not, as he sensed a young apprentice came to greet him. Of course, a Baran Do apprentice was far different from that of a Sith. Aside from merely the complete opposite lifestyle, they were not known for being among the most skilled. They were still new. Xos still remembered when he was one.

The apprentice explained to him that there was some woman, a human it seemed, making a very unusual request. Xos let out a little chuckle and patted the apprentice on the shoulder, "Thank you, I shall go to speak with her then. You can get back to what you were doing." he told him kindly picking up his Quarterstaff and beginning to walk outside. Her run his fingers along the wood. It was the same wood he'd used for so long. Though, while he was originally uncertain about what he'd done with it, he believed his choice was right. Because Xos had used that quarterstaff to create a saber-staff, which attached to the top of the staff like an ornate handle. It was not the existence of the lightsaber though that was unusual, but the storm-crystal inside. A crystal of the lightside if there ever was one. To the point that those with negative intentions, or deeply rooted dark emotions, would even become fearful or intensely uneasy in its presence. But for a place as peaceful as the Baran Do Temple, well, it was rare that he had to consider this.

What Amilthi would see as he approached was a rather normal sage, average height, normal staff aside from the slightly ornate top which was still made entirely of wood externally. But what was underneath was a man who was seeped in the force. The light side and compassion was his way of life. Always hoping to aid others, always wanting to think the best of them. Perhaps humans could not properly see a smile on a Kel Dorian. Due to the incredibly different structures of their faces. But Xos was perhaps somewhat known for his feelings of goodwill practically flowing off of him, he held an arm out in greeting, not wanting to force a hand shake upon the stranger, but wanting to show friendliness, "Welcome! I hope your trip was comfortable, as is possible. My name is Xos Drikre, might I ask of your identity? I would understand if you do not want to give it. I have met a few who's history was sketchy, but who wanted a better future."

"No such thing is the case", replied Amilthi with a friendly smile, bowing slightly, her hands folded in front of her. "My name is Amilthi Camlenn." Hardly a name of any notoriety, but it did not suit her to add context, least of all to reveal her station as a Jedi master. Not that she would lie if she were asked - but she found it wise not to volunteer such information otherwise. It was apt to introduce all sorts of biases, from disapproval to reverence, or it made others think that she respected some particular respect; none of which was desirable when what she really wished to do was simply to meet a different tradition on its own terms. Any relating of it to familiar teachings was something she could do for herself.

There was something incredibly calming and reassuring about the man who had come to meet her. Even though she could not read his face, his benevolence was palpable. "I would like to ask permission to be allowed to stay at your temple" - she hoped that was indeed the correct terminology - "and learn. For a time at least", she explained modestly.

[member="Xos"]​

Xos was pleased to heart that there was no need for such secrecy. And nodded his head in turn as she bowed introducing herself. While she certainly might change the opinions of some here with the knowledge of her being a jedi, its impact on Xos would be minor. Present, but minor. Xos harbored neither ill will nor low or high expectations towards jedi. They simply were as they were. And their members were individuals. Perhaps commonly with predictable traits. But individuals nevertheless.

She asked now for permission to stay at the temple, to learn. He rubbed his right fingers over his hand. Though they were course, as was normal of a Kel Dor, their movements were not rough about it. "I would like to say yes. And were I the only one here, I would. But for the sake of the rest of the order I do believe I should ask of you some things." he answered apologetically, "We usually welcome guests to the main areas. But long term stays are usually reserved for members. Please, if you'd like, we can walk as we talk, or head further inside. If you'd rather not remain here, we can if you like I don't mind. Before I can answer you, I must simply ask some questions. It is my duty to ensure the safety of the sages, I'm sure you can understand that."

His mention of believing she could understand was not said as a suggestion. Actually, it was said as a matter of truth, as if he was very much certain that regardless of her experiences, she would see that he had to keep those under him safe first. Xos lived on truth. It was sometimes hard for the man, given his nature to naivety, but it was what made him who he was.

Most monastic communities in the galaxy had arrangements for laymen to stay for extended periods of time, at the very least as volunteer servers, but mostly also as students, generally intended as a trial period for prospective novices, though Amilthi had no intention of deceiving anyone about her intentions not to stay forever. Not even the Chalactan Adepts, who were generally very strict about things, had seen a problem with that. Amilthi had rather liked them - despite their spiritualist terminology, they had a very no-nonsense outlook and, much unlike most other similar communities, were quite clear about the fact that there was a definitive goal to their pursuits. Amilthi was curious to learn what the Baran Do Sages were like. At the very least, it was known that they were not above practical, even mundane applications of their abilities in the service of their people, which made them a sympathetic group.

The barest hint of movement indicated Amilthi's readiness to walk with Xor, letting him chose their path. "Most naturally", she said. She noticed, somewhere among the myriad of sensations that arose and passed away from moment to moment, a twinge of annoyance at the Sage's reluctance with which he made any sort of demand. It dissolved without a trace in the still sea of her mind, remaining entirely on its own without exerting any causal effect on her behaviour. This was what purity was about - not the complete absence of any dark thoughts, as many seemed to think, mistakenly in Amilthi's view. It was an unachievable goal, which some might find inspiring, but which exerted a demotivating effect on others, like her, who could never hope to come close. Instead, as far as Amilthi was concerned, the standard was awareness - and action, or rather the lack of action, precipitated by such feelings and thoughts.

And so she continued warmly: "Ask all you wish to know. It is not my intention to be a source of concern or disturbance."

[member="Xos"]​

It wasn't uncommon for the Sages to let people visit. It wasn't extremely unusual to have new people even for awhile. But Xos knew of the past of the Baran Do, and that though it had happened centuries ago, in theory it could be infiltrated. Truthfully he did not believe this woman was a threat to them. But it was his duty as master of the order to discover that anyway. Just to ensure she could be among them completely for that time. As she said to ask all he wished to know, he nodded his head, "Thank you for that." he said appreciatively.

"There is not really that much to ask. I think I can narrow it down to three questions for you, which I'm sure you'll find rather basic but which I still think should be asked." He said shrugging, this actually was where a particular convenience of the crystal came in. In that it caused people with deceitful intentions to feel uneasy and fearful just as it would any Sith, though likely to a lesser extent to someone telling a lie, as compared to someone so stooped in hatred, but it was that extra push that helped Xos's already excellent senses in the force pick up on lies. Now, there might be none from this person. He didn't expect any either. "So, I can ask them quickly. Will you be needing anything extra, since you are not a Kel Dor? Will you, while you are here, adhere to what those who are Masters and up state? And, will you tell me that you have no intentions to us that we would have issue with?" the questions were all asked rather simple. Each with higher level of importance, but none of which that sounded accusatory.

"I believe I will be fine. But in the event that I'm mistaken, I would appreciate it if you didn't let me die", said Amilthi with a wry smile, clearly intended to be a bit self-deprecating.

"I will abide by your customs and will take your teachings on your terms. And I have no intention to harm or deceive you, and will defend you from others who do so."

[member="Xos"]​

Amilthi might sense the ease as she answered. And the lightness in his eyes. As right now, he did not see any deceit. "Then I welcome you once again. And may your stay be as helpful as you wished."

A WEEK LATER:​

The woman would find just how welcoming the Baran Do were soon. How easily they would speak with outsiders even if they weren't of the same species. If ever she asked a question they would eagerly answer. If she ever seemed to be overly exhausted around them she would likely find several quick to inquire if she needed to be taken somewhere with better atmospheric conditions for her, a rebreather, or if something else was wrong.

And as time went on, Xos was noticing that she was not here as a beginner. Her presence in the force was familiarized. The way she used and focused with it. She had already learned before. This didn't worry him though. For one, as she had seemed to have no ill will when first meeting. And for two it was just his nature to not think the worst of someone. Rather, he was curious what it was that she was here for. Was she a journeyer? An investigator? What was her purpose, or history?

Eventually, Xos would attempt to find a moment in which she was walking around to attempt to approach her, waving at her and calling out softly, "Excuse me, if you don't mind too much, I would like to ask you somethings? Don't worry, you do not absolutely have to answer. But I would like to know if possible." he said running his fingers along the wooden staff in thought.

The Baran Do were as nice as only isolated people could be. Amilthi was pretty sure that they were very taken aback and possibly even offended when at one point during the first few days she became dizzy, but still refused to be given a respirator or move to an atmospherically conditioned room, only to promptly lose consciousness and be transported into the latter after all. But they did not voice a word of complaint, treating her kindly as ever. If anyone disapproved of her, they kept it to themselves very well.

The meditation practices of the Baran Do were, indeed, foreign to the Jedi. They appeared to do a lot of work with visualisations or even the investigation of a visual meditation object - which, if one thought about it, seemed to make some amount of sense given that part of the goal was commonly understood to be visions of events. It had not been clear to Amilthi that they were intended to be literal visions, not simply abstract infusions of knowledge, and she had not asked about it as many teachers did not like to speak explicitly about the goal of meditation. Even she herself discussed such topics only sparingly.

These techniques were unlike any Amilthi had practiced, but she found that the skills she had acquired in the many years of her own practice were certainly very helpful.

The temple was built very cleverly and even its courtyard was arranged in such a ways as to remain unaffected by the frequently tumultuous events in the atmosphere above. Amilthi rather enjoyed walking there and looking up into the yellow sky and watching the clouds and lightning in times of resting.

She smiled at Master Xos as he approached her. "Certainly", she said softly. "Do ask."

[member=Xos]​

She smiled and welcomed the questions. Xos nodded appreciatively. He decided perhaps it was best to get straight to the point, "Where is it you first began to learn of the force? It is quite clear to me this is not a matter unfamiliar with you entirely, merely perhaps the lifestyle and application that is different. I have met quite a few of other orders, some more powerful then others, and it seems to me that you have had some kind of training or experience when it comes to the force." He explained.

The Baran Do Sage held up his hands, "I am not accusing you of any deceit. Merely wishing to know where it is you learned from before you came here. While I can't say for sure that it would change anything, there are times when knowing the past can better help the future. It has with this order I believe."

"Understand that, whatever it is, it will not truly change if you can be here. I have met members of the dark orders, as have I met Jedi before. They turned out not fit for this temple. But that did not mean they could not receive my aid." He said. He wanted to make it clear that he had no intention of forcing anything on her to answer. Only that if she could, and that if she did, it would not bring any attempted harm or banning from the temple too her.

"Coruscant", answered Amilthi straightforwardly, knowing full well that Master Xos must be aware that Coruscant meant Jedi. "A long time ago, by the standards of someone my age." Why knew whether she was implying that she had forgotten much or that she had studied for a long time. "Your approach is very different. It's interesting", she said lightly. "Though less... visceral. I was not aware that the visions your order is said to have are... well, visual", she confessed with a wry smile. "Am I right in assuming that they are? And that as progress happens, the object of visualisation eventually transforms and acquires a meaning?"

[member=Xos]​

Xos let out a hum and a nod as she answered with Coruscant, so then, it was Jedi after all. Though she said it was a long time ago, for her age. Whether when she started or when she ended she did not explain, nor if she remained there. She did mention their approach was different, which warrented another nod. As well as she explained the fact their focus was on the senses. And that visualization acquires a meaning. "Our abilities originally spurred from enhanced senses. You'll find many Baran Do among us, even those who do not yet or may not learn visions properly will be highly attuned in especially hearing and motion. Impending disasters are common on this planet as you know, so the Baran Do were tasked with seeing or sensing them coming. As a result of meditation, those senses expanded to visions. And that meditation is also what spurred on all our other abilities."

The Sage answered with a voice of someone talking as if they'd actually been there. or might as well have. He found the history of the Baran Do important. There was a little more to answer that she had asked, about what the visualization provided in the future, "Usually the visions, when we use them for impending events, are fairly clear in meaning if not outright shown. Storms, earthquakes, and the like, are not exactly hard to foresee if a vision is received. Some visions require more of an intuitive look when it's something, or someone, less familiar. What I am often shown is a leaf, usually in wind. When I see that, it's almost always me that is the leaf. And the force is guiding me somewhere, to some conclusion, or to someone. Each person interacts with the force differently. It is not one universal language, but rather a few different types of grammars, with varying words for most. We receive from the force sights, sounds, the senses. And from that the force guides us, whether directly to a conclusion, or by a comparison, an allegory, or so on."

"Whatever your past I am glad you have come. I'm always happy to share what we have here. Inner Peace is very important to us, and we usually achieve that through meditation and aid. Our Combat Instructor has his challenges, I had mine, but with the force and help from others all becomes easier. Now naturally, sometimes we do end up using this for a more physical aiding of others. And some of us have trained in physical combat, as I have. But first and foremost peace is always preferable."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom