Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Starship Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser

U8wYe7a.png
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: The purpose of this submission is to provide the Confederacy of Independent Systems with a unique, Heavy Cruiser born of the Yuuzhan Vong colony on Rodia.
  • Development Thread: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Yuuzhan Vong Shapers
  • Model: Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser
  • Affiliation: The Confederacy of Independent Systems
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Minor
  • Material: Yorik Coril
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Heavy Cruiser
  • Role: Ship of the Line
  • Height: 300 meters
  • Width: 400 meters
  • Length: 800 meters
  • Power Core Generator/Reactor: Dovin Basals
  • Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
  • Minimum Crew: 553
  • Optimum Crew: 729
  • Passenger Capacity: 850
  • Cargo Capacity: 3,543 metric tons
  • Consumables: 1 year
  • Sublight Speed and Maneuverability: Class 7.5
ARMAMENTS
PAYLOAD
NON-COMBATIVE ATTACHMENTS
  • Advanced Targeting Systems Analog
  • Advanced Sensory Array Analog
  • Standard Communications Array Analog
  • Standard Life Support Analog
  • Standard Distress Beacon Analog
  • Standard Navigational Systems Analog
  • Escape Pods Analog
  • Dovin Basal
DESCRIPTION

The Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser is amongst the first generation of Vong-originated vessels to enter into service within the Confederacy of Independent Systems' naval forces. Grown and shaped by the Yuuzhan Vong residing in the Rodian Colony, the Onimi-class is truly a unique vehicle that is poised to shake the foundations of all that is considered standard in naval warfare. To begin, the hull of the vessel is composed of incredibly durable Yorik coral, which is comparable in strength to the various metals and alloys which make up ship hulls in the rest of the known Galaxy. Furthermore, the entire vessel is propelled and protected by entities known as Dovin Basal. Unlike standard engines, the Dovin Basal are, like all Yuuzhan Vong components, living creatures. In addition, whilst they have exceptional strength in both propulsion and defense, one of these two traits suffers whilst the other is in play.

Simply put, whilst stationary, the Dovin Basal operate as the primary defensive measure for the entire vessel. Enemy fire that is aimed at the ship, as opposed to making successful hits upon the hull, is instead sucked into the singularities that the Dovin Basal create. Of course, there is a limit to the sum of enemy fire that a Dovin Basal can absorb before the singularities close and the creatures enter into a "cooldown" phase. This limit is essentially equivalent to the amount of punishment a standard shield system found on capital ships of comparable size can withstand before dropping and entering into a cooldown phase. However, it is noted that, even if in the cooldown phase, the Dovin Basals can still manipulate gravity about the vessel enough to move the ship at its normal rate.

On the other hand, when the ship is in constant motion, the Dovin Basals focus nearly entirely upon the task and thereby the singularities produced in order to defend the ship are noticeably weaker. In fact, it is estimated that the difference in defensive strength is approximately equivalent to a capital ship with a shield that is 50% weaker than the norm. However, this focus on the part of the Dovin Basals allows the vessel to move ever so slightly quicker in terms of sublight maneuverability than the standard, comparable capital ships used by the remainder of the Galaxy.

In terms of armaments, the Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser was specifically grown in order to match the strategy that has been epitomized by the Confederacy of Independent Systems since its creation in the modern era. It houses some of the more recent and innovative armaments devised by the Yuuzhan Vong, and is poised to allow the vessel to adequately assault the enemy from a variety of ranges. This versatility in terms of range is thanks to the analog specifically created by the Shapers in order to mimic the range and function of a Long-Range Turbolaser. Furthermore, in addition to a variety of ranges, the Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser boasts a deadly arsenal of warheads that can effectively address a variety of opposing vessels, such as the standard Magma Missile, the anti-Shields Pyroclastic Missile, and the armor-piercing Swarm Missile.

All in all, the Onimi-class Heavy Cruiser, named for a former Supreme Overlord of the Yuuzhan Vong race, is an exceptionally versatile vessel that is poised to serve admirably alongside the Confederacy of Independent Systems' naval forces.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

The armament that has been posted onto this vehicle has been approved by staff, via Skype (in particular, over the course of a discussion with @[member="Fabula Cavataio"]). I am more than willing to clear up any discrepancies and make adjustments in the event that I have missed something fundamental. Many thanks in advance for reviewing this submission!

*Image Source: Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Firstly, I'd like to recognize that you have discussed this Fabula, and good work on talking with staff before the submission. Secondly, I'd like to say good work on providing links for everything that you did. That makes my job a ton easier, and always makes me smile when I see good links.

Anyways, onto the actual judging. Firstly, and it's admittedly an extremely minor nitpick, but I'd like you to kick up the length of the vehicle to 800m. While I don't think you have any mischievous intentions, the ship guide does put a heavy cruiser in our system as 800-1000m, and making a ship smaller than that(and hence a smaller target to shoot) could be seen as a mild form of powergaming. I doubt this was your intention, or that it would be used as such, but I feel it's best to cover bases.

Secondly, production. While Rodia is likely the largest Yuuzhan Vong colony outside of Zenoma Sekot(I say likely because of possible Fringe Movements with Zenoma Sekot and user created worlds), it is still just one colony, and unless the entire colony is working as shapers/bio-engineers in the creation of the necessary Yorik-Coral, as well as other organic parts I can't say I'd believe that the Confederacy would be able to mass-produce a Yuuzhan Vong Style Heavy Cruiser. Now, if you've discussed this matter with staff and/or have done some work with the Yuuzhan Vong of Rodia IC and then that's less of an issue, but without that I'd like to ask that you either drop the production to minor or do a dev thread that in some way increases the Confederacies production of Yuuzhan Vong Materials. I'd also like to note that, at least in my opinion, it would be perfectly alright for you to put the production at minor now, do a dev thread later, and then ask for a Submission Modification using the link provided and asking the production to be moved up accordingly.

Lastly, armament. As you've said, you've discussed it with other members of staff, so most of this I'm okay with, but I'd elaboration on a couple of things, if only to have public record of it. I can see you picked the Heavy Gun Archetype, but are the Rock Splitters equivalent to the Heavy Warhead Launcher? The Ship Guide says you may have 150 Turbos and 12 Warheads OR 36 warheads. If the Rock Splitters are a warhead launcher, you'll need to drop their capacity to twelve or drop all of the other guns to keep it at 36. Furthermore, the Qworlth Skaal. Beyond how powerful the weapon can be(which might merit another discussion), what precedent do you have for your ship being able to carry it? IIRC the only ship that had it in Canon was a Yuuzhan Vong Worldship, which was a 100,000m long/wide ship that only had one Qworlth Skaal. How can this ship have four?

@[member="Genesis Rostu"]

@[member="Jaxton Ravos"].

Not a problem, I'll gladly bump the length up to 800 meters.

There were a few threads, currently purged, that made mention of the Vong population; but a hardcore development thread to increase Yorik Coral capacity hasn't occurred. Until then, I'll gladly drop the production down to minor.

My reasoning for using the "Dread Weapon" was due to the fact that it appeared on a 1,620 meter Vong Warship whose name escapes me off of the top of my head. (Looked at this yesterday during the armament discussion with Fabula, name starts with Miik or something; I'd search and link it but am currently on mobile between classes at the moment). In any case, this armament was added to the vessel with the stipulations that finite strengths, range, etc were included so that it's moderately vague description would not lead to Powergaming or anything of the sort.

All has been edited, and thanks for looking this over man. Welcome back!

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
I found, or you found during our skype conversation rather, the ship you were referring to, the Miid Ro'ik. The Miid Ro'ik had one Qworlth Skaal and only 60 Yorik-Kors. Granted, the ship was more of a carrier than a heavy gun arrangement, but the issue still stands that the only canon precedents for Qworlth Skaals are on much bigger ships, and only one per ship, and I will note that I checked every other Vong Ship on Wookieepedia for any other possibilities.

Ultimately I'm altogether uncomfortable with allowing a Qworlth Skaal on anything smaller than a star destroyer, especially with a full armament. You put an analogy to the Qworlth Skaal's capacity to get through hulls to a drop pod, but a drop pod only drops a small number of men into a ship, while the Qworlth Skaal literally sucks everything up into a stomach, and also absorbs natural resources to help heal the ship. The two serve very different purposes, and the Dread Weapon is far, far more powerful. You have specified good limitations in the range and strength of the weapon, but these are clarifying how you would deal with ambiguous sections of canon, and any further alterations to the weapon would make it no longer a Qworlth Skaal, which would require a tech submission. Unless the Onimi's intent was specifically to carry one of these around I couldn't allow it on a ship on this size, and even at that it's have to have severely reduced armaments, and good dev thread to go along with it. I'm going to have to ask you to remove it altogether, unless you wish to re-purpose the vessel entirely.

Also, one more question that needs to be answered that I forgot earlier. The Dovin Basals are creatures that manipulate gravity in various ways, and as such, have been used in canon as Interdiction mines, and then there's the whole Yo'gand's Core incident. I'd like some sort of mention of if/how much interdiction capacity the vessel might have and at what cost. As for Yo'Gand's Core, you probably could pull it off by stripping the dovin basals of multiple ships and setting everything up, but if I ever see you do without significant warnings to opposition over the course of several posts and perhaps OOC warnings as well then you could find yourself in quite the heap of trouble extremely quickly. Nothing I expect you to do, but you probably won't be the only one to use the ship, their could be more Yuuzhan Vong Ships out there, and I'd like to get that on record, just to cover bases.

@[member="Genesis Rostu"]

In order to keep the vessel in line with the ship template, the dovin basals on the Onimi-class are to be exclusively utilized as the shielding and engine unit analogs. In the event that there are tractor beam slots allowed, as is the case in the absence of the Dread Weapons, there will be Dovin Basals dedicated to the specific task of acting as tractor beams. Only ships exclusively designed as interdictors will have dovin basals which truly tap into the gravic manipulation that they are capable of, and even before the first line is written I'll be brainstorming with staff on how to make the submission both unique, but not abusable.

@[member="Jaxton Ravos"].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom