Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction On the Beach of Dreams; Another World [Darkwire & Friends]

Chel pursed her lips as she processed what Ayreon was saying. The warm beach setting contrasted greatly with the cold pit that had taken up residence in her stomach. This was why she hated retreats, nothing interesting happened and if it did it, you wished it wouldn't. This was troubling seeing as she had seen a Gildenleaf document pass her desk a few days ago. A document that she hadn't looked closely at and decided to just glance over it before approving and sending on. As a project manager and coordinator checking and approving documents like these happened thousands of times a day. Chewing the inside of her cheek she also considered that CorpSec and Gildenleaf weren't first-time partners and it was possible this was som =e other agreement.

"I do recall a Gildenleaf document passing by my desk earlier this week," she stated carefully, "I had assumed it was another of the standard project funding requests. In hindsight, I should have examined it closer."

She looked at Ayreon questioning, "Are you allowed to disclose any more information regarding the nature of the scam, obviously I have no tolerance for any illegal practices going on within my department."

The pair continued walking down the artificial beach and Chel was beginning to feel fidgety. What did this mean for her standing within the company? If she was responsible for erroneously approving and sending through a fraud, her career and more importantly her professional image would take a hit. "Obviously if anyone was cognizant and complicit in these act we would take swift action. How many others are aware within the company?"

She sighed, she needed to find out how far this spread. Thankfully there was a crisis protocol for when something like this happened, bare-bones and drastic yes but a protocol nonetheless. However, considering Gildenleaf went so far as to send someone to specifically get in touch was interesting and pointed to the situation being more than a few thousand credits to a personal bank account.

Ayreon

Ayreon

A
“The document was made to look like a typical project funding request,” he clarified. “It was very skillfully done, with no obvious markers that would signal it was a forgery. Even under close examination, it may still have escaped notice.”

Ayreon could construct a skeleton of what the scam entailed, but he couldn’t fill in exact details. "On paper, the deal was supposed to be an investment in one of Gildenleaf's numerous ventures, the building of a new entertainment venue on Zeltros, one which would give CorpSec a significant share in the projected profits. However, no such venue was slated to be built—the project and all documentation pertaining to it was fake."

He picked up on her fidgeting as they continued to walk. Though he lacked empathy, the HRD was able to process various microexpressions and body language cues in human beings, interpreting them based on established behavioral analysis techniques. The pursing of her lips, the tense set of her jaw as she chewed the inside of her cheek, her carefully modulated speech—all pointed to general nervousness and a pressing desire to remain discrete.

“To my knowledge, you are one of the few employees who has been informed,” he answered. Hesitating briefly, he decided to throw her a carefully calculated bone. “The fact that the forgery was practically airtight seems to indicate either a conspiracy between several people within both companies, or a single individual with criminal expertise. If the former, the situation can be dealt with quietly—the employees involved would lose their jobs and be prosecuted for their actions. But if it turns out to be the latter, then it will not be so easily resolved.”

Chelara "Chel" DuCote Chelara "Chel" DuCote

Nyra smiled at the awkward man. It would have been fun to keep playing but she knew about boundaries, besides it would be a shame for the fun to end so quickly. “I think I’m the one buying,” she said walking off giving the man an appraising look. He had practically jumped when she got close, almost like a teenager. She giggled at this thought but quickly moved on. “Not just a drink,” she replied, “but a whole fleet of drinks.”

She put a hand over her head shielding her eyes from the nonexistence sunlight as if searching. A bar, a bar, a little cabana number. There. Nyra pointed over to the place, as if the man didn’t already know, and excitedly jumped up and down. “Found it. Alright cottontail, lets see if we can get you to lighten up, yeah?”

Not waiting for a reply Nyra pulled at his hands and started off toward the bar. Yup, that would teach him for being gawky.

Rika Rika

N O T • E V E R Y T H I N G • I S • A S • I T • S E E M S

slQCnMc.png

Watching Brie walk over delighted the girl, surrounded by mostly strangers and unpleasant acquaintances. Ordinarily, Daiya loved meeting new people, and ordinarily the day's setting was the perfect time to do it. But right now, the teen was shivering in her wet suit, with gritty sand shifting between her toes, waiting anxiously for the setting to change. As she knew it would. The seconds ticked away on some unseen chronometer, counting away the time she had left to feel normal and carefree today. Like a spectre haunting her waking dreams, the unchangeable reality of their future gnawed at her spirit, wearing her down.

"Yeah," Daiya chirped, a falsetto covering the nervous flutter in her voice and stomach that definitely wasn't hunger. She hoped no one noticed that, and that Zenie shifting in front of her was unrelated. "Turns out that this sand stuff is pretty weird," she said, briefly lifting a foot to show Brie that it was already covered in the stuff, "But the rest is even better than I imagined it."

"Only, maybe outdoors?" Zenie cut in, giggling as she said it. Daiya laughed along with, only letting up slightly as she felt the younger girl's fingers intertwining with hers. Zenie gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. It sent a warm feeling up through the teen's throat, massaging the unsettling feeling that had settled there. "The beaches on Alderaan are supposed to be even better than here, I'll take you both to one of those! Someday, I promise.

One hand was still wrapped protectively around her friend, its fingers entwined in the younger girl's, and she gave it a reassuring squeeze. Daiya's face finally warmed, bringing out a smile she had been hiding behind the nerves and the chills, buoyed by the presence of Zenie's unwavering cheer. Her other hand reached up to play idly with Zenie's hair. It had splayed all around her shoulders and tangled on her head, the water-darkened locks weaving themselves into new patterns that would take hours to unravel if they dried this way. Daiya raked her fingers through the younger girl's hair, feeling Zenie's head droop a little as the Belazuran heiress leaned into the relaxing measure as she straightened and un-twisted the swimmer's head which had developed.

"Hi Rann," the girl said to Aren's friend, feeling a little better now about the strangers, enough to offer a fake smile. The warm being in front of her was helping, too, as Daiya noticed that both of them had stopped shivering. The air still made her arms prick up with goosebumps as she held it up above Zenie's head, with a respectful raised hand in response to Rann's proffered one for a more formal handshake. "What's there to tell? I grew up on Denon and learned it's streets well enough to survive. I take jobs that pay the bills, and that brings me to new places and meet new friends."

"She's really good with a blaster, too," Zenie piped up. Daiya let out a small sound, moving her free hand to put it in front of her friend's mouth. She was only going to drag them deeper into conversation, and Daiya was still hungry! Besides, she did like to keep some secrets from new people, it made it more impressive when those were revealed. The younger girl let out a sound of protest, clawing at the teen's hand until she pried it away from her mouth. "Well, she is, even if she doesn't want you to know it!"

Daiya admitted defeat, finishing up brushing Zenie's hair with her hand instead as Zenie regaled Aren and Rann with her accomplishments. The girl stood in surprise listening to everything the little heiress knew, it was far more than she'd told Zenie herself. She couldn't help feeling a little proud at the image being painted of her, along with a growing self-consciousness. Beyond mere shyness or strategy, Zenie's gushing was just making her blush!

The girl was glad when Cassus' mother intervened, confirming the relationship with her son and offering her name. Daiya watched as Triam made an attempt at a handshake as well, a little grateful when it turned into a polite nod instead. At least she wasn't the only one feeling awkward here today, and spying Cassus' expression as he stood to the side, that seemed to make three of them.

It wasn't exactly thrilling for her, seeing Cassus there. He seemed to follow most everywhere she went, but especially when she was trying to have a fun time with Zenie. Pool Boy just couldn't seem to leave her alone! Daiya was glad that his mother being there had neutered his typically gauche chatter, even perversely so at seeing him squirm as his mother talked about sharing 'his adventures.' It made the teen feel a little better about her own embarrassment the last time they'd met. Even if it wasn't her design, the fantasy world's choices about the different life she'd lived were still awkward to think about.

And it made her double-take nearly every time she caught sight of Cassus' pale, definitely not blue, skin.

Daiya felt her skin crawl at the memory of it. That was not helping her nerves today, still aflutter despite all the safety of familiar companions and Zenie's thrilling take on her life. The teen held her composure, looking at Brie and Aren and feeling Zenie pressed in against her, unwilling to let the stress pull her apart. For them. Even if she was still cold, still hungry, and still uncomfortable with the conversation around her, Daiya could do it for them. She set her jaw, resolved to see this through.

"Well, I know Daiya's hungry," Zenie declared when Cassus proposed getting food for the group. Though distressed that it was Cassus who made the offer, the teen couldn't help but admit that he seemed to be doing something nice. For a change.

"Yeah, I could eat." The confession felt a little forced, the girl felt with a pang of guilt. Why did something as simple as that upset her? It wasn't the hunger, per se. It scared her to think that Cassus' simple presence could spark such a strong reaction in her. Daiya couldn't even tell if she hated him anymore, at least that had been easy to feel. This, whatever it was, was far more confusing, twisting her nerves into a knot worse than Zenie's hair had been earlier. She gave Cassus a sheepish grin, "If you don't mind."

For a moment, things felt normal. As strange as it was, the events playing out around her were a certain kind of strange. Introductions being made, reactions playing through, embarrassment or awkwardness, they were nothing new to her in truth. As uncomfortable as she was by it, Daiya could get through those.

As the sky seemed to turn dark around them, Daiya tossed her head about, feeling the first wave of uncertainty hit her. The Indoor Visitor Center's holo panels had dimmed, as if simulating night or a storm on the illusionary horizon. Others around them seemed to notice, too, as a deadly quiet settled in place of the humming noise of thrills and playful shrieks of enjoyment. The mood around the indoor beach shifted to somber uncertainty as its occupants began to realize that this wasn't normal.

Only Daiya and Zenie understood what was going on, even if they, too, had been caught off-guard by its sudden onset.

In all the talk of food and meeting new people, Daiya had forgotten about the source of her nerves today.

The reason for their presence today, the holo-vid.

Daiya bit her lower lip as the holo-screens went blank, banishing the illusion of a seaside beach scene, only to be filled by a dark static and a low hum.

Standing by for more input.

She felt Zenie pull her closer as they waited, watching to see if their plan worked.

The holo-screens that provide the scenery for the indoor beach today have dimmed and gone blank. The beach setting, beyond the sand and pool inside the Indoor Visitor Center, is gone. There's just some minor static and a low, dull hum.

Next posting round, it'll be back with a different view. Please stand by.

Greyden let out a long, deep breath. His eyes were closed and his feet were in the water. For the first time in a long while, he felt relaxed and almost at peace. While he enjoyed the high-energy style of work he normally performed it was definitely a nice change of pace to take a load off. He took a few more deep breaths with his eyes closed.

Finally he could hear the quiet in his head. No more racing thoughts, no more slight worries of a job gone sour, no more fear of death. The smuggler could hear the noise of joyous vacationers, but there was a silence inside. Greyden enjoyed this new sensation as much as he could, until something changed. Everything seemed to... go quiet. Curious, he opened his eyes to see what happened to the playful sounds of the others.

All of the holo-screens were dark.

"What the..." he muttered under his breath. Immediately the silence inside had disappeared and been replaced with confusion and worry. Grey moved his wrist to check the time, only to find that he left his watch with the rest of his belongings away from the shore. Full of disappointment and frustration, Greyden turned and began to march back up to his pile of stuff.

Ruby blinked once.

And then again, confused by this stranger's kindness. Why would he offer to help her buy a bikini – what did he have to gain by doing that? It was definitely a conundrum. Though she was taken aback, she found her arm extending towards the rack, and soon the black bikini was back in her hand and on the counter.

As she walked out with the stranger, a little shopping bag in hand, Ruby cast a look his way and then back to the bag. There was a little tuft of tissue paper peeking out, the cashier had wrapped it up like a gift. And it was funny, Ruby'd never received anything like this before... real gift or not.

It felt weird.

The man spoke, and she noted the stalls he indicated. “Yeah,” she nodded. “Ha!” she laughed when he said cause a scene or flirt... that was an easy choice. And as she took a step, she paused when he asked her name. “Oh. Yeah, uh, I'm Ruby,” she started, but shifted a glance to him.

Without leaving a pause for his name, rude... Ruby focused instead on the task at hand. This was something she could do, easy. She walked over to the food stall, lifting a used off the ground. Casting a glance over to her new partner-in-crime, she winked to let him know to get ready.

“Hey, buddy,” she addressed the stall owner. “Can I get a refill?”

The stall-keeper blinked. “No."

“Aw, c'mon!” Ruby complained. “I paid good credits for this drink – too much, actually. It should come with at least one refill.” When the he shook his head, she prepared to unleash her tirade...

(Tag: Gray Venasir Gray Venasir )

darkwire_header_-_belazura.png

While locked in a "playful" tirade against Lonnie, the Farghul girl almost didn't notice the approach of the juvenile feline approaching her. Almost, of course. Despite her yelling, the young woman was very attuned to her surroundings, it's how she has survived for so long as an orphan on Denon, and as a cadet to Corporate Security's "Disaffected Youth Liberation" program. The CorpSec Captain knew that pampered children were naturally curious in ways that could get them into serious trouble and dismissed them as the typical beach going rabble...

... except for the droid chaperone. The small child pointing her out was either of the especially pampered variety, or connected with a very unusual relationship. Judging from her complete inability to see a model standardization on the droid, she was leaning towards the later theory. Taking a breathe, she took a moment to look at the dripping wet cat-like child.

"Yeah, and I'm mean, too. Splash some water on your droid on your way out of my business, kid." Kadora'Tra 'gently' hissed out.

"Uh, Captain?" Kyle piped up from the ground. Kadora'Tra looked around to see him looking up, and that's when she noticed the distinct lack of proper lighting, along with the sudden hushing of people surrounding her on the beach. Looking up to the screens, she saw the blank static

"Kriff," She cursed, and then briefly glanced at the child. Whatever, she thought before yowling out her orders. "Get up, grab your batons, we're going to lock this place down!"

Talohn Atar Talohn Atar

Last edited:

Daiya gave him a small smile coupled with an affirmation, and suddenly the boy took that to be enough people to go on a food run. He wasn't really listening to what the others said, and began to unglue from his mother's side.

"I'll be right back," He said looking down to her, who relented and smiled to him. He watched briefly, as she began to take a seat in the sand, before heading out of the beach for the concessions area. It occurred to him he didn't even know he was getting, just "Food". That was probably because the only thing on his mind was simply to get away from people - away from Daiya and Zenie. Though he had been fixated awkwardly on Daiya, it occurred to him how strange it was that Zenie made almost no acknowledgement of who he was. She, along with Daiya, were among the few exposed to his face, and he considered it strange that he was not somehow associated with the trauma of losing her father. It was doubly so since Daiya had so often demeaned him for his part in it. He figured she'd be seeding words of hatred against him for what he did, yet the girl was so enthused by the idea of him bringing them both food.

Was this a forgiveness that Daiya had yet to provide for some reason unknown to him?

His thoughts trailed within his head before he noticed his surroundings had changed considerably enough for him to stop in his tracks. What is going on?

Daiya Daiya , Rann Thress Rann Thress , Aren D'Shade Aren D'Shade

Ruby. Gray decided to wait with giving his name until after they had got the food. He was starting to get hungry himself. And he did not want to have a starving beach day.

Gray was casually making his way into the people standing by the food stalls, trying to blend into the crowd. It wasn't hard, and he soon found himself on the side of one of the stalls. Some kind of exotic looking meats on sticks were laying on the counter, right next to a grill the stall-keeper was grilling burgers on. Then he got the signal for his partner-in-crime. She moved in, trying to ask for a refill, making the stall-keeper annoyed fast. This was certainy not the first costumer he had to deal with today.

The stall-keeper turned towards Ruby, probably to explain clearly that she couldn't get a refill. Finally, Gray thought. Taking his chance, he grabbed some of the meat-filled sticks, and a burger that had just been assembled, and turned to walk away and randezvous with Ruby.

But then, he bumped into someone. The impact made Gray stagger, and nearly lose the food. It was a teenager he had walked into. Typical. "Hey watch it, kid." he said, trying to keep the food hidden, in case the stall-owner were to look his way. "Can't just walk into people like that. Run back to your mo..." Then Gray noticed it. All the holoscreens that had been showing tropical beach surroundings had turned black. And a weird humming was eminating in the background. "Oh chit. I have a bad feeling about this."

(Interacting with: Ruby Jaxx Ruby Jaxx | Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin Close by, probably: Daiya Daiya | Rann Thress Rann Thress | Aren D'Shade Aren D'Shade )

Jorj was pulled along by the person but that was no more uncomfortable than anything else the shapeshifter had done. He wasn't sure if the person was trying to help or otherwise, but the offer of free drinks was definitely not something that Jorj would pass up. "Uh, thanks," was about all he could muster. Even though his tone didn't sound all that appreciative, he was incredibly excited to receive a whole fleet of drinks. That sounded like a grand time. Then he realized he didn't even know the woman's name, and she didn't know his. "I'm Jorj by the way. And you are...?"

Just as they were reaching the cantina-cabana and drinks were just within his grasp, the lights dimmed and went out. Jorj had pretty good night-vision, so his ability to see was not greatly affected. But the stirring of the mostly human crowd around the busy drink-hut was enough to put the Leporine man on edge. Crowds in a panic were not a good time. He scanned the people in the vicinity. No one was panicking yet. Best to get out of the way before anything happened.

"Hey, come on," Jorj said to the woman. He tugged the shapeshifter and led the woman through the mass of people. "Hang on. I have an idea." Jorj quickly changed direction and made the rest of the way to the bar. The lights were out on the all of the bar displays as well and from what Jorj could see, most of the crowd was lost in the dark. He snagged a bottle from the bar and reverted back to his previous path away from everyone else. "Let's find a nice little spot out of the way. Maybe there's gonna be some fireworks or something."

Things seemed to have gotten really busy around her and Rann. That was just fine though. This was something Aren had become used to in a way with her almost always-on connection to the holonet and the noises of the planets around them. The constant noise had taken him a bit of time to get used to, but they had reached a compromise. In their penthouse, he had an area that was created just for him. If he felt the need to escape, all he had to do was go in there and close the door. It didn't happen very often and Aren was thankful for that.

As more people seemed to come up out of the sand, she started to take a step back as her partner mingled with them. Changing her mind though, they might be able to tell she just wasn't used to dealing with organics all that much. Get her among droids and she was fine. Most of the time, they were predictable. And when they weren't, all she had to do was reach out to the Force and control them.

Letting out an almost silent sigh, she remained at Rann's side through all the introductions. The man she had run into at the last party appeared with his mother!?!? Well, he was quite young, so it probably shouldn't have been as much of a surprise as it was. Lowering an eyebrow slightly, he seemed to be a different person with his mother around. Then again, she might have been the same way.

Thinking of her mother made her realize she hadn't even contacted them in years. Wondering silently if they were even still alive and safe, she made mental note to get in touch with them.

"We'll take something as well! Surprise us."

She blurted this out before he had the chance to even start walking away. No sooner had she said this that the lights faded into nothingness around them. Luckily she was close to Rann and took a hold of his hand just to prevent them from getting separated.

"What is going on?"

It was almost as if she had read the mind of Cassus when he thought the same thing.

Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin Daiya Daiya Rann Thress Rann Thress

The moment the lights go out, Madlad picks up Monari and puts her on it's shoulders. "Hold on." The droid states simply, before it's gaze turns back to Kodora. "Water does not scare me, however I can guess that it scares you. But that does not matter at the moment. Do you know what is happening?" The droid suddenly detracts claws from it's fingertips. It didn't have guns on it at the moment, so the claws would have to do. "For the protection of the child, I am forced to help you."

Kodora would finally see him approach, the Cathar, likely the guardian of the child, though he looks a bit on the young side to be a dad. He's in simple swimshorts, and his body his covered with various scars from his life as a merc. He had just arrived to get the kid when it all went dark, and he peers up. "I can't go one fucking day, can I?" Pulling out the lightsaber, he hits the side of it a few times before pressing the button. Luckily the broken up lightsaber decides to ignite today, lighting up the area around them. "I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it." He stands defensively by madlad, and madlad stands prepared to guard the child. What a strange family. While atop the droid, Monari sticks her tongue out at Kodora.

Kadora'Tra Kadora'Tra

Last edited:
Chel breathed a small sigh of relief, "Good, yes let's keep this close to the chest, the last thing we need is for competitors or corporate terrorists to know we have a weak point right now."

She was familiar with CorpSec's various ventures in the entertainment industry. Investments in nightlife were great, they could supply the official security and take a cut of the cover paid for entrance. It was cut and dry. It would make sense that this would slip by since other ventures like this had been approved. The next steps to at the very least trace the credits would be simple. In the end, if she could wrap this up before the retreat ended then no further reputational or relationship damage could be suffered between the two companies.

"I can assume you have a reference number handy in that pressed shirt of yours?" Chel asked, attempting to have a slight sense of humor over the whole situation. Her father had always picked on her sour expression which seemed suited to only two emotions; disappointment and worry. "If I can have that number then I can track the project request and see whose hands have touched this on the CorpSec side. Then it will just be a matter of seeing whose bank account has been padded with-"

Suddenly it was dark. Not a normal darkness, it took her a bit to tell what the difference was. Then she looked up at what had been a warm sunny sky to see blank panels and a low static hum. An uneasiness settled in her stomach as she hoped to eventually hear an announcement stating that there was some malfunction and it would all be fixed in a moment. The sand no longer felt comfortably warm between her toes but shifted awkwardly and made her feel off balance.

"I don't suppose you know why the power seems to have gone out?" tentatively asked Ayreon.

Ayreon

Ayreon

A
As the screens abruptly went dark and a low humming sound filled the alarmed silence that followed, Ayreon looked up and around, his head tilting in curiosity and puzzlement.

"I don't suppose you know why the power seems to have gone out?"

“No, I don’t,” he replied. His brow furrowed slightly as his photoreceptors switched to night vision. “Perhaps it is an electronic malfunction.”

His eyes scanned the beach. Over the next few minutes following the shutdown, the beachgoers scrambled to retrieve children from the water and moved further inland. The restaurants and bars became even more crowded as people sought employees to interrogate, demanding an explanation. No one seemed to know what was going on.

Ayreon’s enhanced hearing picked up on shouting further down the mostly deserted beach. He turned toward the source of the noise, squinting in the dark as he magnified his view—just in time to see a male Cathar ignite a lightsaber. He was accompanied by a droid and a small child, and seemed to be facing off against another group of thuggish individuals. The exact nature of the confrontation was not clear.

“I don’t mean to alarm you,” he said, turning back to Ms. DuCote. “But I don’t think it’s safe to stay here. I can escort you out if necessary. Otherwise...”

He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a small datapad. It was a formality, really—he could transfer data and code directly from his brain to any device, but he sometimes had to pretend he was human and not a machine. “Here is the reference number. I can also provide copies of the forged documents, if you would like to compare them to your records, but that will have to wait until I have access to a secure connection.”

Chelara "Chel" DuCote Chelara "Chel" DuCote Talohn Atar Talohn Atar Kadora'Tra Kadora'Tra

znj8N5v.png

Relax, socialize, and enjoy

Brie could not help but to burst out in a short and light laugh as Daiya showed her sandy wet feet for everyone to see. The younger girl was still as fun as she had remembered from the bar on Denon. Zenie seemed at least as fun and them being a radar couple was not hard to imagine.

''Oh, I realy like the sound of that!'' she replied at the blonde girls mention about her taking them to Alderaan someday.

A confirmation of her earlier guess, that the woman was the boys mother, soon came with the woman introducing herself as Triam. It took Brie back to a more serious mood and for a short moment, she inadvertently kept a gaze of contemplation on the pair. She were snapped out of it and blinked noticeable when the boy offered himself to get food for the group. A rather peculiar and diverse group of individuals in different constellations and ages, that was now engaged in casual small-talk with each others. More or less in the case of poor Daiya who stood there all soaked and cold, along with Zenie who seemed to be in a slightly merrier mood.

Brie nodded affirmative while a small smile exposed itself at one of the corners of her mouth. It was clear that the boy looked for some support from the group. Was he feeling uncomfortable, maybe even slightly embarrassemed with having his mom along and meeting so many new faces? Was moms embarrassing at times? With the lack of having her own, she did not know. But she knew how it could be meeting a bunch of new faces all at once!

''Yeah, that'll be nice! I... I'll help you carry!'' she chirped and the smile grew to the rest of her mouth. Her first steps was quick, a short jog to catch up with the boy who was already leaving the group.

''So... what sort of food do you fancy?''

The answer for that question had to wait, as the gigantic holo-screens above them became blank and then filled with a static hum. Stopping when he did, Brie fell into the same silence as the rest of the beach resort guests and waited for something to happen. Something told her that it was not a just a technical hiccup. She could feel it, but wether it was good or bad was unclear.

Daiya Daiya Cassus Akovin Cassus Akovin Rann Thress Rann Thress Aren D'Shade Aren D'Shade

Ruby kept her eyes on the vendor, not risking even the smallest glance in any other direction to check on the progress of their ruse. And so, she doubled-down just to make sure her new friend got away clean.

“You're just a cheat!” Ruby said and then raised her voice to holler. “Hey! Don't eat here! This guy's a rotten CHEAT!”

Get out of here, you little con-artist!”

She tossed the cup down. “Fine,” she spat. And then reached over the counter and grabbed two bottles of soda. The shop-keep was slow to react, but he managed to hook a finger under Ruby's collar as she turned to make a getaway.

“Drop it! Thief!” He growled. But Ruby wriggled free of his chubby index finger and she took off running. She spotted Gray Venasir Gray Venasir and ran past him – hissing the words: Run! Run fast, okay – no time to explain! But I got the drinks!”

In her hurry to escape, she hadn't even noticed the screens go dark. Fortunately for her, the beach was pretty packed. It'd be difficult to pick her out of the crowd, right? Well, maybe if she ditched the leather jacket. There was always the new bikini... but she didn't feel ready to bust that out yet.

And so, she grabbed the beach towel up from under her and put it on like some kind of weird cloak-thing. The only thing visible was her face as she clasped it closed beneath her chin. But as she looked around, things were definitely... weird. What the kark was going on?

The bar was filled with people, swimwear mixed in with business wear, coquettish smiles and flirty laughs filling the air as drinks poured out as quickly as the bartenders could manage. It was a scene replicated so often across the galaxy, the rich mixing with those seeking their attention. Those willing to trade beauty or youth for a chance to enter and live in this world of penthouses and corporate greed. Those willing to leave their lives behind, the scrabbling for life in the slums, trading the only assets they had for a chance at a better life. It was a situation that the HRD had been built for, her pale looks and lithe figure designed to draw the eye. Binary had been built to act as a pleasure model, it might not have been the life she’d chosen, but the programming remained in the back of her head.

It was so easy to fall back into her body’s basic programming, her hips starting to sway a little more, a coquettish smile settling on her face. It was so easy for her to slip between the bodies, brushing up against the businessmen on either side of her, offering an apologetic smile before she raised a finger to get the bartender’s attention. A brush here, a smile there. It didn’t take her long to attract the right attention, to let a drink be pressed into her hand, a hand around her waist drawing her back to the pool. Dangling her feet in the cool water, kicking them back and forth as she downed a shot, letting a giggle slip from her lips.

“This really is an amazing penthouse you’ve got here. It’s sooo big and the windows. Wow.”

Feet kicked a little more before she let herself slip into the pool, bouncing on the heels of her feet as she spread her arms to the side, spinning around slowly. Letting her hands trace along the surface of the water, as she turned to face her hosts. Her hands darted up, flicking droplets of water at them as she laughed, pulling herself up the side of the pool before reaching up to let her hands trail through her hair, squeezing out the water before jumping to her feet, accepting a glass of champagne from a passing waiter before cocking her hips to the side and glancing down at her ‘hosts’.

“So, who wants to show me around the rest of the penthouse?”

There was a part of her, a voice in the back of her head that hated herself for what she was doing to the boys. They were young and hadn’t yet develop the jaded world view that their jobs would cultivate over time. For now though, they were the easiest of marks, eager to please, to throw money around and show off a pretty face that showed them attention. She’d known exactly what she was doing every step of the way, and the little girl who’d grown up in a house similar to them was horrified staring out of the HRD’s blue eyes. She hadn’t wanted to use people like this when she was younger, who did? A lifetime on the streets had beaten and shaped her into who she was now, someone who would use the poor boys to get whatever she needed.

That hate and self-loathing was kept deep inside, not a mote showing on her youthful face as one of the men held out a hand to her, her hand slipping into his, letting him pull her deeper into the apartment. She made sure to be properly impressed, wide-eyed excitement driving her to reach out and touch everything she could, leaving little patches behind. Eventually someone would find them, but by the time they realised what had happened she’d be well away from here. Her fingerprints weren’t available on any record and they’d have no way to find her. Still, that meant her exit shouldn’t draw an eye…or perhaps all of them.

“I bet your apartment is even cooler.”

Her voice was pitched low enough to be a soft whisper, a blush rising to her cheeks as she glanced away as if embarrassed by her own audacity. The right touch, the right look to hook her mark and leave him like putty in her hands. The hook that saw her sitting in an airspeeder not even 5 minutes later, wearing his sunglasses arms thrown up into the air as she laughed with pleasure. And it was genuine, a job well done, and a clean escape. Besides, Raphael was ssweet, he’d even offered her his jacket when he realised she didn’t have any other clothes.

She just hoped the rest of the plan went off without a hitch.

Daiya Daiya

"Thank you, yes please send me the reference number, but seeing as that will have to wait until we have a more secure connection let's see what is going on here," Chel deliberated now pushing the issue of potential forgery to the back of her mind. Still extremely important and the issue weighed on her but there seemed to be bigger problems taking place. She noted the ensuing restlessness in the crowd, especially noting the apparent chase scene that was going on between an unhappy business-owner and some woman who ran off into the crowd.

Biting her lip she turned to Ayreon, "Yes let's head to a safer location, but we would be amiss if we didn't track down the other CorpSec employees here, perhaps there's an information booth where we could get more answers..." she trailed off. Seeing a trail of other concerned (some angry) patrons making their way to the information booths and heckling the managers for answers. There was no reason to get involved in an angry mob.

She was nervous but also intensely curious. It always got her trouble but it seemed that she was already there, so why not get deeper. Looking around she noted the activated lightsaber and the Farghulian with a familiar uniform. A CorpSec Captain, that made her feel far more at ease.

She walked Ayreon over to the boardwalk, seeing as she felt absolutely ridiculous being in a situation like this in bare feet. "I don't know if this is in your coding but can you get a better read on the people here, any suspects of interest?" she didn't ask because she was intent on making a citizens arrest, but she wanted to know where to look if any action started to take place.

Ayreon

slQCnMc.png

Daiya's mood settled as the holo-vid began, her hunger and nerves forgotten in the moment. It was just shortly after she'd received the invitation for this beach outing that she and Zenie hatched their plan. They had scoured the holowaves for clips and information, arriving early to get their own footage from a few close-call passes from her ship. Daiya was pretty happy with what they had put together, but a shuddering breath leaving her body told her that she was still worried about something.

It took a moment for Daiya to realize that the worry didn't come from her, but from the teen's younger friend tightly grasping her hand. She glanced down at the little heiress, even in the absence of the bright lighting Daiya could tell that Zenie's eyes were shut, her face twisted —whether in pain or concentration she couldn't tell— and her mouth moving silently. The girl shared Zenie's consternation, using her free hand to rub her friend's shoulder for reassurance.

The better means of reassurance arrived behind her, two and some meters tall covered in shaggy fur. Daiya felt her own muscles relax as she caught sight of him in the dim light, carrying towels draped over his arms that he offered to his teenaged charge. The girl took them, spying the large duffel bag that Tawrro also carried, but busied herself by wrapping first Zenie, then herself, in dry towels their damp forms had needed for a while.

Daiya's thoughts never left the duffel bag her partner carried, even as her eyes drifted up to the screens. The holo-vid had begun at last, playing on the same screens that had offered a vivid illusion of a seaside beach before. Only knowing the general dimensions of the Indoor Visitor Center made it possible to distinguish life from life-like playing on the holo-screens around them.

The scene begins in dim light, barely better than darkness. As the illumination improves, the view is still hazy and blurred by rain. It doesn't look like anywhere on Belazura, the colors are grey and muted while the landscape seems very dull. Somber music plays in the background as the scene's clarity improves, giving shape to vast industrial plants and form to the mob of workers who appear like swarming insects from this distance. The surroundings are bare, there's very little foliage in sight, and what ground that isn't occupied by gravel-marked roads or piles of raw material is dry and cracked.
A youthful voice can be heard now, speaking over the scene as the workers toil away in the footage, which changes between long shots of the whole complex to close-ups keyed to what the voice talks about. "This is the Ferassonn Enterprises Refining Plant in Drynth province right here on Belazura. This land used to be a camping ground, where no high-tech devices or HoloNet access was allowed, a place for beings who wanted to unplug and 'get back to nature.' But six months ago, it was bought out by the Corporate Mining Union and this plant was built instead. All the plants and animals who once lived here are dead and gone, all the wonderful experiences to be had here are now replaced with this. Imported beings from other worlds, performing unending work, in a lifeless place." The voice is careful, the words spoken slowly enough without over enunciating, but doesn't sound dry or distinterested at all.
As the voice ends, the scenery lingers for a few more moments in silence, offering time for reflection. It transitions to a new landscape, this time a mountain far unlike the strikingly beautiful variety for which Belazura is known. It is stripped of life, like the ground was near the refinery, and marred by a gaping wound in its side. Speeder and ground trucks roam the wound, following spiraling paths of cut rock and compacted dirt down into a nest of automation hacking away at the mountain's soul. Machines and droids chip away at the exposed rock, mining valuable minerals to be carted away by the vehicles, separating them far from their home beneath the earth.
"This mountain doesn't have a recognizable name, it's not on a top ten listing, but it's part of the Intara mountains on the southern continent. You've probably seen it standing by its cousins on holo-cards and promotional vids for Belazura, the Intara mountains is one of our prettiest sights. People come from all over to pose in front of them, climb them, or have picnics in their shadow. Well, no longer. That's all restricted now, tourists aren't allowed to visit anymore, and the land is all owned by the Corporate Mining Union. Who are doing this to it, killing the face of the mountains to strip-mine it for minerals. What could possibly be more valuable to Belazura than its beautiful mountains? Whatever it is, I hope it's worth selling our planet's very soul for."
Now the scenery changes again, this time with more color and bustling activity. It's easier to see now that this is on Belazura itself, this could even be the street outside of the Indoor Visitor Center. Yet the vid's shots are closer now, focused less on the action or alluring attractions and more on the people staffing them. They appear tired, overworked, barely able to keep up the facade that their customer-facing jobs require. The vid plays a montage of these shots, following the staff home to squalid conditions compared to the standards upheld in the shiny hotels and condos rented out to the Belazuran affluent. Tiny, cramped apartments inside densely-packed highrises, tucked away on the other side of the city from their jobs and the resorts, far from the picturesque lives shown off to visitors.
"Almost a year ago, the minimum wage guarantee was revoked and a lot of businesses started to change how they paid their workers. Thousands of beings in the service industry, who make your meals or sell you souvenirs, can no longer afford the homes they used to have. New developers stepped in to buy them to rent out for absurd amounts, and they used the profits to invest in these low-income housing projects. Now, almost half the working class on Belazura have to live in these projects or cram by the dozen into homes that used to be for a single family. They're no more than slaves now, stuck with no mobility, no vacation time, and no chance to enjoy, themselves, what Belazura offers to the galaxy."
The vid changes one last time. Now it shows a young girl, not quite a teenager, with blonde hair cascading down her shoulders. She holds her head up, not uncomfortable with the camera at all, hazel eyes looking straight through at her inevitable viewers. She talks knowing her audience, acutely aware of the impact she'll have, "My name is Zenitha Chuma. My father was Kjell Chuma, the Governor of Belazura until almost a year ago. Belazura is my home, its citizens are my people, and my father always taught me that those things mattered above all else."
She beams at this statement, clearly proud of her heritage and outlook. But the girl's face changes quickly, Zenitha has tears in her eyes now, real tears that demonstrate her real love for the planet, and its people, that her father once governed. Her pained eyes turn hard as she levies her accusations.
"But now Belazura is run by another man, a man who has made everything you saw today possible. He had my father assassinated. He sold away pieces of my world. He ripped away the subsistence of my people. And he has brought ugliness and horror to the beautiful world I grew up on. And for what? To make money. He tries to hide behind contracts and bribery, behind the flag of the Corporate Authority, but today I want you to know clearly who is responsible for the Belazura you saw right here. Diviak Manfloon, whose greed knows no bounds."

When the vid ended, the screens dimmed once more. The hack had gone off flawlessly, hijacking the pleasant beachside scene to deliver a message warning of the exploitation of the world under their feet. It was everything she and Zenie had wanted! Yet as Daiya stood by, waiting along with others for the facility's technicians to restore the idyllic illusion, she was hit by the same fears that Zenie had felt earlier. What now?

Turning to Tawrro, Daiya gestured to the bag he held. "I think we'd better get that unpacked. In case CorpSec decides to show up and ruin this party further."

That was their contingency plan, assuming all things went wrong. Yet as the lights returned around them, and the beachside views appeared once more, it seemed as if the plan was unfolding smoothly.

The lights flickered once, the illusion interrupted once more, before it returned to normal. But for the several minute interlude and the reaction of the crowd, it was hard to tell there had been any interruption at all.

slQCnMc.png

Across the city, atop a building that had once suffered the indignity of having its penthouse floor cut off by an irksome band of criminals, a series of explosive patches linked up and set off their charge. The result was loud and carried a shockwave that disrupted nearby buildings, but it dealt no damage to the structure or its inhabitants. Its victims were the electronics and digital storage kept in that building, an EMP that wiped out all the records and plans maintained by Diviak Manfloon's government on Belazura.

The final piece of Zenitha Chuma's message to the mastermind of her father's death.

Kadora'Tra kind of rolled her eyes at the droid as she gathered her Baton, along with her subordinates and began to scan the beach for unusual activity beyond the typical gawking and standing around. Things like slicers on devices, or loitering too closely to the projectors. She thought she saw someone on a data pad (Ayreon) before a sudden increase in blue light and a menacing hum nearby frightened her.

"I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it." The Cathar man, which she could only guess to be the child's guardian, said on his approach with the bizarre laser weapon.

"Gah! What-what is that?" Kadora'Tra was in an inexperienced officer all things considered, top cadet in her class or not, she still had never seen a lightsaber before. Sure, she might have read things about ancient weapons or heard stories about the contemporary weapons, but reading and hearing about something is very different from seeing the real deal for the first time.

"Nevermind!" She shook her head, dismissing the armed civilian's weapon. "I don't like it either,"

Then, before Kadora'Tra could say or do much else, the video began to play on all the available screens in the Indoor Visitor Center. It only took a moment to figure what this was, and her eyes widened. Diviak is not going to like this... She thought before her eyes narrowed in a scowl. Before the video was even finished, she looked to Kyle.

"Find a source for that! Go!" She pointed towards the holoscreens. "Lonnie, find some mall cops and barricade the doors, no one gets out!" Her subordinates gave quick salutes, and went on to their missions. "Citizen," She gestured to Talohn Atar Talohn Atar and his droid, "If you want to help, follow me!"

She took a moment again to focus on the crowd, listening for unusual sounds, looking for unusual groups. She heard someone call out about a thief, and saw a few individuals bump into each other with running. There! She thought, though she knew they likely had nothing to do with what was going on, but it was a start. The Farghul began to run, flashing her Corporate Security badge through the crowd of gawkers with her Baton low in the other hand.

"Gah, get out of my way!" She complained, before something in the video caught her attention.

"My name is Zenitha Chuma," That got her looking at the face of someone she recognized, but only just so. "My father was Kjell Chuma, the Governor of Belazura..." The rest of her recollection came to her, and now the Captain was worried. Diviak is not going to like this... she found herself thinking again.

She looked around the crowd to gauge their reactions... and that's when she saw her. What were the odds that the perpetrator of this crime would be so close by? Double taking, she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

"Oh this is just too easy," The corporate cat smiled mischievously as she began to make her approach to the little runt...

Daiya Daiya , Aren D'Shade Aren D'Shade Rann Thress Rann Thress

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom