Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Old Habits

efd0e6fe8282ac2afe1a3f57c5ccfc36396ef46c_2000x2000.webp

Denon, District Three

Makko was close to becoming a full Jedi Knight. He judged the distance to the rood on the other side of the street. The long fall no longer frightened him. He took a short run, let the Force guide him into the leap and sailed through the air to land on the other side.

He stretched out with his senses. He could feel the sharp consciousnesses of those in guard and the hazy clouds of Runners hooked into the Holonet. The Jedi Order had taught him to leap, but it was Starlin who had taught him to kill. That was the skill he needed now. He had to harden himself against his feelings and prepare to take action.

Two days ago

"Boys, put the fucking guns down yeah?"

Makko had never seen Nasty Jenu. People normally referred to him as Big Nasty. One of the inner circle of the Fractal State.

"But boss he..."

"Jarrick, one of our own returns to us and you all point guns at him and call for help?"

Makko remained still on his chair. Jarrick and his own cell had effectively held him hostage since he had turned up. Big Nasty was flanked by some dangerous looking men. They looked like professional mercenaries.

By comparison, the young men Makko had once run with all cowed into the shadows.

"Look," said Jenu, "He still wears our badge with pride, don't you boy?"

"He was training with the Jedi and..." Jarrick, the devaronian who had once been Makko's boss started to say.

"Jarrick, I know everything you think I don't. Piss off and find something else to do. Now...Makko..."

He offered a pleasant smile. It chilled Makko to his core, but he had to hold his nerve. He had no choice.

"I heard you had a problem and wanted to turn to your old family?"

Now

Makko held his arm out, palm flat and angled down. He closed his eyes and focused on the sky light. He had tried to learn a shallow but broad range of abilities with the Jedi order. Affecting the physical world was difficult, but manipulating technology came easily to him.

There was going to be a security trigger on the glass ceiling windows. He found it and deactivated it with a thought. The physical latch itself was more difficult. Eventually Makko lifted the skylight and dropped to the floor below.

In the moment, he hesitated. This was the home of a rival gang. He had once beaten one of their street runners to a pulp with his bare hands, but Makko had almost left this all behind. This was pre-meditated action. A precision hit. Genuine murder.

Makko thought of Cora. The intensity with which she had held him in that garden maze. Hidden from the world, she had undulged in what she had hidden from herself. Soft breaths, hands tugging and a refusal to acknowledge how foolish they had been.

He thought of each time she reached out through that bond, seeking a few moments of comfort to distract her from what was being done to her in the real world.

His resolve hardened to a steel blade.

Two days ago

His old family?

That was what they had become. Makko had been able to look back at his past through a more objective lens. Having lost his real family to a corporate raid on his slum, the gangs had taken their place.

Makko did not want this to be emotional. He wanted it to be cold and transactional.

"I need someone dead."

"Strange," Big Nasty said, pulling up a chair or his own. "I would have thought that was quite easy given your new skills."

"It…it's hard to get to them. And…and it can't be me."

"Let's hear it then. Because it just so happens I've got a problem too. I think you and I could help one another Makko.

Now

Makko moved quickly and with purpose. He bounded up three stairs at a time and took a sharp right.

Do not see me!

The command was a blunt tool. Makko was good at sensing feelings and manipulating them, but there was too much of a conflict between what the guard's mind wanted to do and the command Makko issued.

The guard saw him, but the confusion was enough for Makko to close the gap.

Snap-hiss.

It was a clean strike. The blade deactivated in a moment after cutting clean through.

Makko ran on, leaving the first victim behind.

Makko did not take pleasure in the kill, he did not draw on the dark side as the echoes of the person-that-had-been became one with the Force.

It was actually the teachings of the Jedi that allowed him to harden his mind against his feelings. His planning was complete, the path was laid out. Makko simply had to follow it.

Jedi training made him an effective weapon, not the lure of the sith.

The next guard didnt even see Makko. He started to turn at the sound of footsteps just a moment before his head was cleaved in two.

Within just a few minutes the first part of the work was done. Not a single guard was left in the building. In some respects, it was the easier half. Always moving, always acting, he could not have stopped to think.

He reached a thick blast door. It was designed to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive. Even with his lightsaber it might have done it's job, but Makko disabled the alarms through the Force in just a few seconds.

It was slow, hot work to cut through. His blade worked through it inch by inch. When he had carved himself an entrance, Makko stepped back and waited for the metal to cool. Stopping to wait let the guilt try and reach him.

The crushing weight of Cora's days and nights had hardened her against the world. He could hold up his barriers for just a little longer. She had only let them down for just a few short minutes in the gardens, before remembering herself, drawing the walls back up and fleeing.

Makko stepped through the opening in the blast door. There were no treasures around him. To the left of the air conditioned room was the squat metal form of a backup generator. Next to it was a bank of computers covered in a thick weave of cables.

On the other side of the room was his target. His targets. Four runners lying motionless in their supportive chairs, spikes engaged into ports at the napes of their necks. They were busy carrying out the gang's operations on the holonet. None of them had any awareness that they were about to die.

That gave Makko a momentary comfort, but even that feeling was a weakness that could let further feelings slip through the cracks. Fear was the path to the dark side.

He walked to the generator. He swapped a single cable around and flicked two switches. He let his hand rest on a lever and took a breath. Makko pulled it down. The lights flickered. The four runners all went rigid as the surge fried them from the inside in an instant.

It was such a nice restaurant for such terrible business, Makko thought as he was led inside. It was the kind of place Cora would have taken him to as a treat.

Big Nasty was sat at a table on his own. Two of his suited thugs sat at a table further back, flicking through paper books.

Paper. It was such a strange thing to see on Denon. Only a gang that new the dangers of trained holonet runners slicing into systems would use such an archaic method of keeping books.

"Makko, sit!" said Big Nasty. "Sit and eat."

Makko sat down and was surprised to find that he had an appetite.

"It's…"

"Done. I know. Have something to eat."

Makko obliged, picking up an artistically formed piece of pasty.

"With the duty guards down we sliced through four of their holonet strongholds. They've put new walls in place but we hit them hard Makko. But…"

He had waited until Makko was chewing before the 'but'.

"...you see we'd never heard of this u-tak-is place when we agreed to the deal. Turns out this Royal shit is a little harder to get to than we thought. "

"We made a deal…" Makko started to venture, but he was cut short by a single look. He felt the air grow cold at his attempted interruption.

"And we did that in good faith because we wanted to help out family like you," Nasty said, his tone suddenly soft and polite.

It made sense to Makko, even though he knew the mob boss wasn't being entirely honest with him. The words made sense.

"You have another job for me?"

"Not yet, no," said Nasty Jenu, leaning across the table and wagging a finger at him. He turned away.

"Lyaris, get Makko a menu so he can order whatever he wants, yeah?" he turned back to Makko. Someone sauntered off to the bar.

The restaurant was closed right now, but Makko had heard Jenu took pride in running one of the most popular eateries in District Six.

"Have some food Makko, I've got a suite booked out for you all week. You need something you ask. Spice, girls, computers, just ask. Can tell you've had a rough run kid. We've got your back. Stick around and I'll find something small for you to do to even up our ledger."

"This is a problem."

"I know. We need to..."

Nasty Jenu hissed through the back of his teeth and everyone else fell silent. He tapped hard on the datapad, on the obituary to a Prince of Utakis.

"I said not to touch Horace yet. When does this get published?" he asked.

"Our man on the ground says tomorrow. No order was given. Rumour is this accident story was written by the crown and fed to the press."

"Our boy's obsession?" Jenu asked. This was a problem. They'd kept Makko high enough that he didn't ask too many questions. It was a delicate balance to sober him up enough to take advantage of his powers.

"We don't know."

"The kid might be stupid, but he's probably got a dozen deamon scripts out trawling the holonet for this kind of news. Cut his compound off from the holonet. Says its protection from a Runner attack."

"Why don't we just...claim this was us and let Makko go?"

Nasty Jenu actually considered it for a moment. He had hoped that with enough time, Makko would just lose sight of his goals. He was a useful weapon to have in the pocket. He'd been strung along for nearly a month now.

"Cut the line and let me think. I really wanted to keep Makko until we hit the Jinteki Corp hideout on seventh..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom