Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Ocular-Neural Interface

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

b7ad21998c411538792c53ed8c9bfd5f.jpg

• Intent: A neural ocular interface to replace the loss of his left eye and visual sight and co-ordination impairment.
  • Image Source: https://nz.pinterest.com/pin/492933121696553154/
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Restricted Missions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: The First Order, The Knights of Ren.
  • Model: N/A
  • Affiliation: [member="Brennan Cabrol"]
  • Modularity: No.
  • Production: Unique.
  • Material: synthflesh, Cybernetic components, synth-net neural interface, electronics, code, data.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Enhanced vision Magnification
  • Thermal and Infra-red sight
  • Enhanced targeting interlink
  • Live feed transmittance relay (Recording/visual link)
DETAILED SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Enhanced vision Magnification - Allowing for the magnification or rather zoom of sight, seeing farther than the natural eye and acting as a short to mid-range scope if you will, allowing for the better detection of anomalies typically more difficult to spot.
  • Thermal, night-vision and Infra-red sighting - The ability to see through smoke, darkness and other visual impairing properties or elements.
  • Enhanced targeting interlink - Thanks to the Neural interface boosting mental reflexes and with the technological advances of the First Order, the implant acts as a pre-instinctive aid to targeting, activated on conscious need, the mind is forced into cognitive processing of the situation and defining factors within. The over-working of the brain however resulting in a cool down period following it's extended use.
  • Live feed transmittance relay - The constant visual transmittance of activities to the upper echelon of the Knights of Ren for over-watch of the users conduct and decisions made during field operations, forcing the submission of complete freedom and privacy to the First Order.
Strengths:
  • Visual enhancement in range and priority targeting, the ability to see through most visual impairing factors such as darkness or the effects of smoke grenades etc.
  • Increased cognitive response times, quicker reaction times between thought processes and physical reactions based upon what the ocular implant detects and feeds through to the human brain.
Weaknesses :
  • The excess of mental exhaustion resulting in a need for cool down following extended use, Meditation or physical relaxation (sleeping being the most effective) in order to account for the stress of cognitive conditions.
  • All attributes apply only to the left eye/implant. Does not cater for full vision.
  • The Device can be shut down by the Upper Echelon of the Knights of Ren and thus result in Brain damage and inevitable death. Security clearance for this feature is severe and such an action cannot be triggered without proper authorization. This feature cannot be sliced or manipulated from outside of those with FOSB clearance.
  • Visual acuity is imbalanced by the difference of perception in either eye. For the use of magnification of sight and/or change of visions (Thermal/Night Vision), Vertigo and motion sickness can be the result if not for the closing of the natural eye.
DESCRIPTION

Following the loss of his left eye among varying other grievous harm to his body in the Galactic Alliance's attack upon Bespin, the First Order and specifically the upper echelon of the Knights of Ren operated upon Brennan Cabrol to account for his physical impairments, one such modification to his body being the Ocular implant to replace his decrepit eye and burned out nerve endings. The new implant acts as the typical eye ball normally would, moving about the eye socket via a lubricated overlay of the artificial ball while the lens at the front is designed to feed through receptive visual information and data through to the wiring that replaced the former nerve endings and channels to the brain's cognitive functions.

With the opportunity to operate and manipulate the Disciple of Ren's physical abilities, the Knights of Ren took it upon themselves to ensure that their technology would not go abused by the individual and thus further devised a way to ensure their complete dominance over his future living. With the device's enhancement to his visual prowess also came their ability to shut down the device completely, opposing the body and minds adaption to the implant and sending the brains nerve endings to fire off on all cylinders, what would effectively result in a severe aneurysm and then death. While this feature to the Implant has not been disclosed with Brennan Cabrol, it has ensured the Knights of Ren an effective defense against any possible insubordination or defection from the First Order.

Please note that I wasn't certain if the AI was to be a separate submission or not.

I would be happy to edit and submit it individually if so.

Netherworld

<p>Hello, I'll be the factory judge reviewing your submission. If you have questions, please feel free to respond to this thread once we are underway.</p>

Netherworld

[member="Caehl Ren"]

Separating the two submissions would be best for clarity as well as the judging process, yes.

Just copy the AI sub into a new topic and subbit it to the factory. Explain that it's to be used with this sub, and it'll get judged on its own merits.

Thank you. :) I'll get to the meat of this sub later today.

Netherworld

[member="Caehl Ren"]

You can omit the AI part from the submission now. :) Just link the separate AI submission where it's relevant, so it's clear what you're referencing.

Now for the Ocular implant itself. The sub is solid, nothing out of the ordinary. I only really have one major concern:
Analytical scanning across weapons and peoples, offering explanation of properties used in enemy or ally armaments and tools/weapons or analyzing physical perimeters such as health defects and impairments, life-signs and/or symptoms of illness.
This has serious potential for metagaming and godmoddery. By its very nature it's pretty much metagame, and I'm not comfortable approving something this powerful without some explanation, drawbacks, and nerfing.

In light of this, please explain to me the following:
  • How exactly did you envision these scanners would work? Speed, mode of analysis, etc. Please be thorough, as I'll be scrutinizing this very closely.
  • How does this implant impact depth perception? Given that one eye will have a much wider range of vision modes and zoom than the other, I'd like to see some drawbacks resulting from this.
  • How does the Upper Echelon access the implant? Could another slicer find and exploit this?
@mention me with edits or questions. :)

[member="Netherworld"]

Netherworld said:
This has serious potential for metagaming and godmoddery. By its very nature it's pretty much metagame, and I'm not comfortable approving something this powerful without some explanation, drawbacks, and nerfing.
I hadn't considered this but yes unfortunately I have to agree with you, the potential to be abused is very much there...-I think I would perhaps be more comfortable removing the ability entirely for the sake of better conduct.
  • Given that one eye will have a much wider range of vision modes and zoom than the other, I'd like to see some drawbacks resulting from this. How does the Upper Echelon access the implant? Could another slicer find and exploit this?
Given that I've effectively included a kill switch for my character and placed it in the hands of the First Order Security Bureau, naturally I don't want to make it easily accessible for other players to slice the implant. The type of access from the First Order would be heavily encrypted and very few would have that access given the Order of Ren being as secretive as it is in nature. I would have to say that no, outside of the First Order it cannot be manipulated yet from within the faction, someone having climbed the ladder of hierarchy and ascended to the top then decidedly turned rogue could affect the implant in such a way, of course coinciding with my consent as the writer.

As far as Visual acuity is concerned, I figured as these things only apply to the one eye, he'd have to close the other to save himself something akin to motion sickness and vertigo.

I will make the appropriate edits, please inform me if this does not meet the given standards.

Additionally, I should mention that the AI was declined due to the lack of development threads of which I somehow missed. With the exclusion of the above attribute, the need for the AI may actually be unnecessary now, thus it probably works in my favor in the end anyway :)

Netherworld

[member="Caehl Ren"]

If you want to remove the analytical capabilities altogether, that works too. If you're picking that course of action, then please remove the AI and scanning references from the Special Features, Strengths, and Description.

The necessity to close the other eye when engaging special functions works. :)

As for the killswitch, I understand your hesitation, and it's fine as-is. I'm just pointing out that from a slicing/hacking/mechu-deru standpoint, if a killswitch exists, it can be accessed. Naturally this would be extremely difficult if you don't know it exists, but once it's there, anyone could use it – theoretically.

@mention me when you're done. :)

[member="Netherworld"]

Removed all connections to the AI and Analytical receptors.

As for the Kill Switch, I'm willing to take my chances. It adds a fair deal of symbolism to the characters devotion to the First Order and given the close-door policy to information regarding the Knights of Ren and the FOSB, if such a thing were to happen, it will have to be one badass story arc by design :D

Cheers for all your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom