Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obsolescence (Gilamar)

Silk Holdings -- one of the galaxy's largest conglomerates, though relatively new in more than a few ways -- had an interesting relationship with interstellar politics. Though run by a team of professional businesspersons from Ukio, its shareholders were the following.

10% Qae Shena. The iron-willed, inflexible master of the Vagrant Fleet -- a group which, as originally constituted, had desired no master -- had not been seen in many months.

45% Alna D'Lessio Merrill. The statuesque queen of salvage, Jorus's wife and stepmother to his young daughter, had likewise vanished.

45% Jorus Q. Merrill. Million-credit CIS bounty on his head after he unloaded assault concussion missiles point-blank into the Feds' equivalent of a Jedi Temple, following a Templar's torture of his friend Thessa Kai. Now an outlaw from the CIS. Silk Holdings had very, very quietly removed its operations from CIS space before the strike. Now the powerful corporation defended and supplied the Mara Corridor -- a super-hyperlane that he and Alna had built.

Her disappearance had cast new light on his sins and their potential consequences, and on his involvement with the Rebel Alliance. Now, unmasked as a Rebel and a public figure, his wife gone where not even he could find her -- and he'd spent frantic weeks tracking her -- it was time to provide for his daughter, keep her safe. And for his friends and employees, those who relied on him. If there was one thing he knew about Alna D'Lessio, it was that she could take care of herself better than anyone. She would be back. Somehow. And he could turn his substantial profits towards helping him find her.

Profits required work. Work required network. So here he was on Manda'yaim to meet @[member="Gilamar Skirata"].

Gilamar Skirata

The most important step is always the next one
Jorus Merrill.
The name had crossed his desk several times, often for vastly different reasons ranging from novice shipwrite, father of the fabulous Mara Corridor, and more recently terrorist, "Rebel" and other...less savory reports. However, Gilamar was a man that thought a good handshake and an honest meeting were what made a man trustworthy, not some slimy information broker. Besides that, he had heard good things about the man from The Bard, where ever he may be, and anyone who was a friend of the Bard well, they couldn't be all bad right?

Standing now at MandalMotors private Spaceport in wait for his visitor Gilamar had pulled a lot of strings to get the man on planet without a horde of bounty hunters sticking up his starport. And with the new-blood leading Mandal Hypernautics...He couldn't afford to let news of his involvement with Jorus leak, lest his reputation as well as his company's was put at risk giving the young corporate man an edge in the market. Greeting the man with a smile he reached out with his right hand to test the waters. A handshake, simple and pure. "Gilamar Skirata, Head of MandalMotors. Pleased to meet you Jorus."
@[member="Jorus Merrill"]

Jorus returned the handshake in a straightforward, firm way. Old hand at insurrection that he was, he understood the need to keep his head down so as not to jeopardize others.

Market share along the Mara had only grown, of course.

"Chief Skirata, the Bard speaks well of you. Pleased to meet the man who built the shipyards over Manda'yaim.

"I have a pitch for you," he said. "Silk is in a place where we're more interested in ubiquity than flashy distinctiveness, and we've had some unprecedented successes with our Washburn-class, a redux of the ancient Firefly-class. Your yards are creating some fascinating designs, but we're currently interested in your back catalogue. I was hoping you'd have some obsolete designs whose production and alteration rights I could purchase."

Gilamar Skirata

A firm handshake, a good start. But what constituted a good handshake for the old man? Surely there were many a Sith good give just as strong a handshake as Jorus had. Well...it had to do with a gut feeling and that was all he could, and would ever say about his methods. A grin inched its way across the bearded face of the old man. "Same of you. It seems we have a few mutual friends." Listening intently to the man as he spoke his eyes darted to the left and then the right. Reaching into an inner pocket of his jacket he revealed a flash, slipping it from its place and opening it in a very practiced, fluid motion.

Raising the metal flask to his lips in thought, he let the ne'tra gal flow from the case and into his mouth, taking a few drinks before bringing it down. It helped him think, drinking alcohol as he drank in information. "As a matter of fact...we do." He thought of offering the man a drink and then thought of the beaked man that owned Daw Motors and decided against it, slipping the flask back into its place.

"Currently we have the Guardian-Class Corvette on tug duty around the yards. I'm sure I could get you the rights to build...for a price of course."

@[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

Jorus sent a glance at the flask. He'd grab a drink later.

"Guardian-class. On the books as a frigate, but yeah, it's a big corvette at heart. Something like ten turrets, a couple of big guns, solid passenger capacity -- yeah, I think I'm remembering it right. That ship's served you folks well, tug or no tug."

He named two alternative figures, both fair: A per-unit price, and a blanket purchase for the rights.

"Now, me, I'd prefer to just buy the rights outright, but I'm thinkin' you've got preferences of your own."

@[member="Gilamar Skirata"]

Gilamar Skirata

He nodded, his signiture grunt as he did so. "You'd be right about that." With a heavy sigh he reached for his flask again to take another swig, looked at the pocket and let his hand fall into his pockets. "Thing is, I can't have it on the books that I sold to Jorus Merill, for obvious reasons." He hoped his expression and his words told that he knew of his alignment with some force that was bad for business. "If you could handle that part of the deal, I'd be more than happy to do business with you."

The small Pit droid, a sort of assistant to Gilamar and MCA employees chimed in, its voice surprisingly sophisticated for such a simple droid. "Also, if Master Jorus would be interested, the Constable-Class Patrol ship has also seen a decline in production and usage as a new patrol ship is currently in development."

Gilamar looked to the droid in annoyance and then back to Jorus. "Its like Jay says, I had nearly forgotten about the thing. Haven't been on planet much recently." The small pit droid looked up at Gilamar, its blue photoreceptor becoming a darker color. What was his deal, looking at him like he was some sort of annoying insect? Its not like he had revealed that the ship was to be based off of the Slave series or anything! MandalMotors, and Mandalore needed the credits anyways. If anything, JC was doing Gilamar a favor!

Jorus's eyes tightened. "Well, I'm used to bein' a liability. That said, though I'm a stakeholder in Silk Holdings, I'm not CEO nor do I put much official into the company's operations." He pulled out a datapad and presented a document signed by a man other than himself. "An' that's why what you have here is a thoroughly respectable flat-feet production rights purchase order from a thoroughly respectable Ukioan who heads the purchasing division. My fingerprints just plain aren't on here, even though I'm currently puttin' in the Guardian-class an' Constable-class."

He handed the document to Gil. "My personal reputation may be iffy the farther south you go, but Silk Holdings is still good for all up and down the Mara, an' growing. I've managed to create a good bit of distance between myself and the company, mostly in public. This acceptable to ya, Chief Skirata?"

Gilamar Skirata

He liked this kid. He could see why the Bard spoke highly of him. Taking the datapad with a smirk akin to a Mandalorian receiving his first blaster, Gilamar looked from the datapad back up to Jorus and nodded. "This will do nicely." The reply was muttered under his breath as the old eyes scanned the information on the pad. "Good doing business with you Jorus. I wish we could have met another time when things weren't so dicey on both ends."

Coughing violently into his elbow for a moment, Gilamar looked the man up and down again. "The Bard spoke highly of you, and we don't much care for the Sith or CIS around these parts." His eyes narrowed. "You or your people need a place to lay low for a while, Clan Skirata will welcome you with open arms."

"That's mighty generous, Chief, and I'll add you to the list, but these days I try not to take cover in places where other people could take a hit for me. But if I need a spot to stash my daughter or a hurt friend or something, I'll keep this place in mind, and my thanks."

FIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom