Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Objects Are Not What They Seem

cf0b9854b2f37e22e1de1defcfe215e8.jpg

Celestia Station slowly orbited Tabaqui, the planet looking like a verdant gem below. The station was brought in to give Salacia Consolidated a bit of breathing room. When Judah picked the planet to set up shop on, he didn't want to bring sprawl to the area. Scraps, bits of technology, mining would all alter the landscape far too much. Workers for the company had largely settled onto the planet and Nellore, the largest city, had seen growth since their set up years ago.Judah definitely preferred the planet - it was quiet and out of the way.

A good benefit to have in a galaxy that he considered constantly war torn. However, that was a catch twenty-two. War made scrap, keeping one of the branches of his company in business.

He had spent the morning sipping caf and going over reports from crews trawling the space lanes. Business was fairly good. Demand for mined materials was increasing and it would be necessary in the next few months to scout more asteroids to break down. Perhaps if they found an area rich enough in material another space station could be commissioned to process nearby.

A knock on the expansive office door. His secretary, an older Mirilian woman, poked her head in.

"Excuse me, Mr. Dashiell?Are you busy?"

"Not terribly. Nothing I can't put aside until later."

"There's a woman here to see you."

"A woman? For me?" Judah looked skeptical. There weren't many women in his life that would take the time to travel to Tabaqui to see him. "Miss Arceneau or my ex-wife?"

"Neither Sir." Ms. Datos looked mildly amused. "I think she's a Jedi.There's odd robes involved. Didn't state her business."

"A Jedi? Thats....odd. Please, send her in."

Azula Tin'dara had hoped to pass through some lower level beurocrat to get what she wanted. It hadn't been her request to be stood before Judah Dashiell himself, but here she was.

Keeping her hands beneath her robes, she stepped forwards and bowed her head, lower montrals falling forwards.

"Mr Dashiell," the blue-skinned Togruta said politely.

Here she would have to be careful, choose the act that got her what she needed. What they needed. Azula had hoped the Jedi authority would have done the job alone, but now she was going to have to be flexible.

"I'm afraid I have a sensitive matter to bring to your attention. Although your staff would not let me investigate it directly to bring you proof."

She glided across the floor, offering her hand across the desk.

At first glance, Judah was inclined to agree with his secretary, a possible Jedi. Certainly very sure of herself - confident entrance, straight to his desk, no introduction of herself, and a quip about his staff. These were the times why he could see the galaxy at large could be less of a fan of the group. All takeover, no finesse.

There were some similarities to business folk.

Judah reach out and clasped her hand in greeting before motioning to sit down in front of him. Suit jacket was adjusted as he sat back in his chair, ready to listen to this sensitive issue. He hoped it wasn't something to do with this corner of the 'verse. Things were relatively quiet and he wanted to keep it that way.

"Can I offer you any refreshments Miss....?"

"Master Azula Tin'dara," she said.

She glanced at the cabinet in the room. If only she could find out just what fine and rare spirits the man was keeping in there.

"A water would be fine, thank you," she replied.

She had played this role for almost a year with the Silver Jedi, putting her out of reach of her old associates. It was easy to slip back into.

If authority and the role were not going to get her what she needed, then she was going to have to reevaluate her strategy. This was important enough - and she was in enough danger - that she would follow any path to her goal.

Her past had caught up to her and her ledger was well into the red.

Judah rummaged around his desk for a moment before pressing a small intercom button. There was nothing to speak in terms of his wants, Miss Datos was well aware of what to come next. Ice water would appear shortly for his guest, along with extra glasses just in case the conversation led to where alcohol was needed. He was gifted bottles quite often.

Attention focused back on the woman in front of him as he settled into a more comfortable position.

"Your water should arrive in a moment or two. Care to share this information as to why you are here Miss Tin'dara?"

She waited patiently, hands within her robes as he called through to someone on the intercom.

Care to share.

He didn't like this. Jedi interference might not have been the direction to take if she had known it would have gone to the top.

"I am dealing with a ring of interstellar slavers and I have a concern they might be using this station as part of their trafficking network. I would be deeply grateful if you would let me quietly investigate some of the lower levels."

She would try being conciliatory and if that didn't work she might have to try and act a little less cold.

"No."

Judah considered himself at this point, fairly adept at schooling his facial expressions into one of neutrality. Anyone in business who wanted to get far had to learn to be expressionless as possible when dealing with the uncertain. If he was being honest, the former farm kid wanted to laugh. Not that slavery wasn't serious - his ex-wife's people had been enslaved. He had seen first hand the destruction the practice caused. Judah had no tolerance for their ilk.

However, to think slavery was occurring on his space station was absurd. Security was tight. He employed many types of alien species sensitive to enslavement - any whiff of such an operation would have triggered a full audit and shakedown.

Ms.Datos made that moment to appear, placing down a tray of water and various chunks of fruit for said water on the side of the desk. A glass was poured for the Jedi in front of him.

"Thank you, Ms. Datos. I'll let you know if we need anything else."

Judah turned his attention back to the woman in front of him. He was instantly skeptical of her intentions at this point. While he had no real opinion of Jedi, what was to say she wasn't a Sith in disguise? He had seen such a thing before, indirectly of course, but enough to be aware of such issues.

"I will note your concerns and conduct an investigation. You didn't have to come so far to share these issues, a comm message to security or myself would have sufficed."

"Please don't think that this was out of a lack of trust in your organisation. I did not broadcast my arrival so that there was no one was alerted Mr Dashiell," Azula explained. She picked up the glass and took a few sips.

Her expression softened. She didn't let any of the irritation show on her faced. Most people's minions capitulated to the Jedi act. An attempt to mind trick Judah would be too risky.

"If you will not let me search, then at least let me offer some information on how operations have managed to continue in other places, despite careful and considerate management and tight security?" She offered.

This time she left her hands out of her robes, one hand over the other on the table.

"The only information I can give you is to put you in touch with my security contractor. I'm confident they are experts in their field, unlike myself. I would be remiss if I provided incorrect security advice."

He didn't reach for any water or even relax back into his chair. Clearly this meeting wasn't allowing for that type of dialogue.

"Allowing any outside interference, no matter what the intention, is something we cannot allow on the station. Now if you want to visit sector authorities with this information it may be wise. Perhaps they have an investigation of their own."

"Dissapointing, but I understand," Azula replied. "This spans multiple sectors, which is why the Jedi are involved."

She settled back more comfortably into the chair, crossing one leg over the other. Beneath the robes was a closely fitted white body suit that gave her flexibility for combat.

"You have another corporation running security on the station?" She asked. "They're contractors?"

Azula finished another slow sip of water. He was done with her. Usual middle aged man in power accustomed to getting what he wanted. No patience and no time.

He didn't even know what he had that Azula needed. A component that would be scrapped and turned into metal and plastic.

This was the wrong approach, but she had committed now. There was no turning back on it.

"There is a ship in your lower levels right now that was used for smuggling slaves. I can show it to your security right now and they'll see clear signs of it."

Azula Tindara Azula Tindara

Judah felt a headache coming on. The woman in front of him was a typical Jedi - this was wrong, 'x' was going to happen or else. He had dealt with the types before. Very push, very annoying. He was convinced these types had never heard the phrase of catching flies with honey rather than vinegar. By the time he reached for the pain killers there would probably be a lightsaber on his desk. Reach for water and it would be ignited.

"Miss Tin'dara, I know you are infinitely more wise than I, a mere citizen of the galaxy. " Perhaps a bit sarcastic in his delivery, but he was growing tired. "However, I would expect a highly trained and experienced security force to recognize the signs of slavery on visiting vessel. Especially in our line of work. I am quite assured if there was something amiss, not only would be call sector authority but also attempt to handle the situation ourselves."

Drawer was opened. A bottle of drugstore pain reliever was procured.

Miss Datos chose to make her appearance as he was swallowing a few capsules.

"Mr.Dashiell, we have an issue in the lower docking levels."

"Look, I'm sorry for the attitude," Azula said. "I didn't mean to cast adpergions on you and your people."

She threw her hands out to her sides, exasperated. A bit more of the real her showed through. It seemed like the Jedi act wasn't going to get her anywhere. She would have to leave and come up with another plan.

Then came the interruption.

"Lower levels?" Azula asked.

Shit. Had someone swiped the box already?

Miss Dato looked between them and decided the news was too urgent to wait for the Jedi Master to be out of the door.

"The scrap zone. Reports of blaster fire."

They hadn't swiped the box, but someone was making a move on it. Azula had no idea how to play this off. Why would someone raid a ship to cover up slavery? That made no sense. She went with the flow.

"Mister Dashiell, please," Azula said. "I have no idea why someone would raise the ships I suspect have been used to traffic slaves but I want to help."

Damnit, and she had almost broken character already.

"Miss Datos, go ahead and put the station on lockdown. All staff to remain in place."

Judah stood up, removing his suit jacket to leave on the chair. It could be nothing or it could be a full blown situation. Hopefully the corridors were locked down in time to contain the issue down in the lower scraping levels.

His other issue was the Jedi. There was some doubt if she was truly a Jedi affiliated with a sect or authority in the galaxy. He had seen some lone wolves which could give some insight into the weird behavior. The above the law types.

However, he did see a lightsaber. Thrust into a combat situation and the skills of one Miss Tindara would be all the more clear.

"Let's move Miss Tindara. I hope your lightsaber skills are up to standard."

"Azula is fine," she said sharply.

That was her, not the act. She'd known the real Azula for only minutes before taking her name. After this much time she felt like it suited her more than her own real name.

She stood and placed a hand lightly on her lightsaber. She had taken three things from that woman who lay dying in a pool of her own blood next to the body of her lover and mentor: a name, an identity and a long-handled lightsaber.

Azula gave a sharp nod. She shrugged her robes off and placed them over the back of the chair she had occupied. On one hand she wanted to give the subtle impression that she was planning on returning and she also wanted freedom of movement in her outfit. She had never adjusted to fighting in jedi robes.

They were soon in a turbolift. Azula was trying to work out how she could swipe the box and get out of the station with it.

"Haven't had to use a lightsaber for a while now, but I'll make do. If there is a blaster fight down there, are you really going all the way down to it?" She asked Judah.

Jacket left behind on his chair, Judah rolled up his sleeves as they were taking the long turbolift ride down to the intake levels. He was half paying attention to Azula, the woman droning on about a lack of recent lightsaber use.

"Seems you'll be in excellent company. I've rarely had to use a blaster in recent history. However, yes I will be going straight to the firefight. What else am I supposed to do, cower in my office?"

Numbers ticked by on the turbolift.

"Hopefully security already informed sector authorities. Not that they will arrive any time soon. I imagine the interlopers will be dead or captured when they finally make it this way."

"I was thinking that was exactly what you would do," Azula said in a matter-of-fact style. "I wouldn't expend most people running a salvage company to join their security in a firefight."

Azula had done a little research, though she hadn't expected to end up marched into his office. His attitude to this actually a genuine surprise.

They didn't go far from the lifts to find a checkpoint set up by his security. It turned out that they were quite efficient. Two men armed with light arms stood before a sealed blast door.

"My Dashiell," one acknowledged.

"We think half of them were hidden in a salvaged ship, the other on some kind of boarding craft we didn't detect."

She knew other people were after the box. It had enabled Hutt criminals to smuggle cargo down hidden routes knowing exactly where the imperial vessels were patrolling.

She was going to be in real trouble if she wasn't the one to bring it back.

Judah was aware of the area they were in ; an intake room for salvage of all sorts. Vessels could either dock or, if they were small enough, enter the area. He assumed the vessels were small enough to enter the area.

"Can we depressurize and jettison them out into the vacuum of space? Or are we unsure if all employees evacuated the area?"

Perhaps a bit of an overkill to toss a bunch of small time criminals into space but he had the safety of employees to consider.

"We are unsure if all employees made it away safely. Could be hiding in scrap."

Judah nodded before turning to the Jedi.

"Suggestions Miss Tin'dara?"

"Azula is fine," she said, fairly certain she was repeating herself. It probably meant that it wasn't worth asking.

"There are quite a lot of them," she said, closing her eyes and reaching out.

It gave her a moment to think. The obvious suggestion was to go in alone. It would match the high and mighty jedi persona she was running with.

That persona clearly rubbed Judah up the wrong way. The suggestion was also a little too obvious in getting her what she had come for.

"Do you have locations on your people in there? I could try and get them out. Otherwise..."

She gave a shrug.

"...I can lead one of your security teams in there. I can keep them safe down any narrow corridors they can use as choke points."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom