Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nynir-class Heavy Frigate

Picture 1, Picture 2,
Chons_Class_Frigate_by_AStepIntoOblivion.jpg
Credit: AStepIntoOblivion

Intent: Seeking to enter direct competition with MandalMotors for military contracts in Mandalorian space, Mandal Hypernautics set out to design a frigate unlike anything currently on the market. For the first in a new generation of warships, Mandal Hypernautics decided to go with a medium sized vessel with enough punch to take on significantly larger opponents. Settling on the frigate classification, designs then focused on getting the maximum damage output in the shortest time possible. Engineers developed up-scaled turbolasers capable of significant damage at extreme ranges, but with the drawback of such a severe power-draw that conventional ship designs were deemed impossible. Experimenting with the design, engineers discovered that by drastically reducing hanger space they could install a secondary reactor specifically to power these Long-Range Turbolasers.

Development Thread: NA

Manufacturer: Mandal Hypernautics

Model: Nynir-class Heavy Frigate ("Strike"-class; in Galactic Basic)

Affiliation: Closed Market

Modularity: None

Production: Limited

Material: Alusteel, Durasteel, and other common construction materials,

Description:

Designed for both long range strike attacks in support of capital ships and surprise attacks from a target's flanks, the Nynir-class Heavy Frigate is a versatile attack platform that can fill a number of roles. While not necessarily more powerful than any other frigate, the Nynir-class shines among its peers due to how it consolidates its firepower into a single, devastating salvo. While the six second reload between salvos presents a considerable down side, as does the maneuvering required to line a target with the semi-locked weapons, most commanders of this vessel are capable of choosing their engagements carefully to minimize these flaws.

More than just a weapons platform, the Nynir-class Heavy Frigate is equipped with a host of supplemental equipment designed to give commanders a wide range of tactical options on the battlefield. One of which being their advanced LOS Communications Suite. The system uses a series of pinpoint lasers over long distances to communicate with ally ships and vehicles without spreading radio chatter in all directions. This system serves a dual purpose. It allows the ship to send secure communications to its target, as well as transmitting signals without risk of giving away its position. Additionally, the ship comes with a medium range HoloNet Transceiver. This smaller transceiver is able to send and receive signals to nearby ships and neighboring star systems, as well as connecting to a network of more powerful transceivers capable of relaying long range communications for the vessel.

Another noteworthy bit of hardware installed on the Nynir-class Heavy Frigate is a string of three droid processors connected to the core of the ship. The droid processors share processing power for a single intelligence which supports the crew by assisting with calculations for weapon targeting, navigation, hyperspace navigation, sensor systems, and communications systems. The droid brains are also capable of using the LOS Communications Suite to communicate with and direct any nearby droid fighters that happen to be friendly. Shackled by strict protocols, the droid brain can only follow direct orders issued by the commander of the vessel and serves the purpose of increasing the overall speed and effectiveness of the vessel in the complex, ever changing environment of the battlefield.

Classification: Heavy Frigate

Role: Strike/Recon Frigate

Height: 140 meters

Width: 140 meters

Length: 350 meters

Power Core Generator/Reactor: Solar Ionization Reactor, Secondary Antimatter Reactor,

Hyperdrive Rating: 2 (Class 10 Backup)

Minimum Crew: 87

Optimal Crew: 328

Armament

The Nynir-class Heavy Frigate sports a powerful array of forward-locked Heavy, Long Range Turbolasers. Supporting these powerful weapons is a light complement of Heavy Mass-Driver Cannons and Point Defense Laser Cannons spread evenly over the hull. The ship also supports a complement of Vertical Launching Concussion Missile Launchers.

Hangar:

None

Non-Combative Attachments:

Ray Shields

Particle Shields

Triple Droid-Brain Support Processor

LOS Communications Suite

Dedicated Energy Receptor

Hyperwave Signal Interceptor

Limited HoloNet Transceiver

Small Medical Bay

Passenger Capacity: 280 Marines

Cargo Capacity: 1,800 tons

Consumables: 6 Months

Sublight Speed: Low
Maneuverability: Average
Durability: High
Armament: Extreme (prow arc only)
Hangar: None

So since the Development thread is ((Pending)) Why is this posted? as I point to the factory rules. Once that is done I would love to judge your thread

All development threads must be completed prior to submission.

I submitted this according to the rules that ships under 1,000k do not need a development thread. And, originally, I had assumed that because none of the technology is on the 'list of stuff that require dev thread' I thought it would be fine. But after submitting it and reviewing it I decided that the tactical value of the ship is far beyond merely the sum of its parts and it deserves a development thread. That, and many of the component parts are unique enough to require minor dev threads themselves. Hence adding the 'pending' comment. I've been busy lately, but I'll try to work on the dev thread throughout the week.

@[member="Captain Larraq"]

Points that need addressing;

• As with the other ship, the Singularity Core has to go.
  • Super Turbolasers are not a classification of weapon the RPJs recognize. Heavy Turbolasers (worth 2 Turbolasers) are as high as we go. If you want to pursue an attempt to do better, it would require a dev thread of unspecified length and quality, minimum several times the barest requirements.
  • Stealth Technology is viewed with extreme scrutiny. While not a full cloak, it still falls in the category. If you intend to keep it on the ship, it will have to be dropped to minor production. It is not something that is equipped on most ships and the production needs to reflect that.

@[member="Ayden Cater"]

My intent, as far as production of the ship goes, was to produce 1 as a technology testbed and then to produce 2-4 additional prototypes as a proof of concept to show off and try to broker contracts and trade agreements with the Mandalorian Navy and other interested factions. At a maximum, I was only planning to produce about 50-150 of the ship. And even then, I'd never use more than 5 of them myself. All the rest would be 'background' items that are sold to one faction or another. From a business standpoint, that's what I'd consider a minor production. Do you have any 'specific' number limits when it comes to minor production runs?

As far as development threads goes... I've been busy IRL lateley, but I have an outline prepared for the development of this ship that will bring it in at around 40-45 posts.
Are you asking for a separate development thread specifically for the 'Super Turbolasers'? If so, please give me a specific post number requirement (and number of writers requirement) and I'll get started on it.

@[member="Ayden Cater"]
@[member="Alli Wren"]

The 'Super Turbolasers' have been replaced by the canon weapon system 'Long-Range Turbolaser' which fits my previous description of the 'super' turbolaser system pretty much exactly.

Are there any other issues with this submission? I still plan to finish the development thread I'm writing, but with the canon weapons, are you still requiring one for this submission?

I'm still uneasy about this ship. On the one hand, it looks like it might be a recon-style ship, but then you give it some really beefy guns, which have their own issues. Long Range Turbolasers were weapons so monstrously power hungry that even an ISDII experienced a noticeable power draw upon firing. I'm trying to reconcile canon evidence and what you're trying to achieve. So what exactly is the aim of this ship?

@[member="Ayden Cater"]

It's a submarine. Something between a Wolf-class nuclear submarine and a WW2 German U-boat.
Move in with stealth. Observe the target. Gather intelligence. Relay information to Headquarters.
Fire everything at a single target after spending considerable time lining up a shot.
Engage the target.
Light-Moderate damage potential at extreme ranges.
Very high damage potential at point blank ranges.
Do you have the balls to try and sneak right up to them? If so, more damage per shot.
Just wanna sit back and volley support fire from safe ranges? Damage output of a corvette.

• The gravimetric sensors have to go. This ship is not designed for a support role, it doesn't need them. I'm really not sure it even needs the magnetometric sensors either.
  • You still have a number of mentions of the ship being mass-produced. These must be removed before the ship can be approved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom