Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Now Dance With Me

Mandalorian-The-Jedi.jpg

white.png
Dawn was not far as Maeve waited in the temple gardens.

Since celebrating with Alexander, she had counted down the days until they met again. A sparring match, he'd suggested. A chance for them to test each other's mettle. She'd accepted the offer eagerly, but now, she could not deny the feeling of twisting nerves in her gut. Would he show up? If so, would he show her up? She'd never been bested in a match before.

Against him, she wasn't so sure.

Maeve shut her eyes and focused. Little could be remembered about the night they'd spent together drinking. For hours, they talked. About Exegol, about what they planned next, about how terrible the drinks at the bar tasted. Of course, that didn't stop them from sharing almost a dozen glasses of spotchka between them. It had been an eventful night. A good one.

She listened to the gurgle of the nearby stream. Fish splashing in the pond. Leaves rustling. When she opened her eyes again, there, to her surprise, she found Hayes standing across the courtyard, cast under the shadow of a bending willow. Not often was she caught off-guard by someone. But with him? It seemed she was surprised every time.

"I was beginning to think you wouldn't show," Maeve said, despite the fact she'd been early and he was perfectly on time. "Sleep well, soldier?"

Once Alexander was fully recuperated, he didn’t waste time in sending a message to Maeve, letting her know. He gave her the option of choosing the where and when, and it didn’t take long for her to reply.

The fact it was so quick brought a knowing smirk from the K’paur. It was clear he wasn’t the only one who had the spar on their mind since proposing it. Alexander woke a few hours before the set time. Being up before dawn even arrived was something drilled into this mind back in bootcamp.

Plus, he needed to run off some of the excitement that had been simmering beneath the surface. Much as he was eager to test his mettle, he knew he needed to focus if he was going to spar with Maeve.

He arrived at the Jedi Temple, early enough to take in the sights. It was his first time ever setting foot in the place, having only ever seen it in passing. Jedi and the like were only just starting to stir, so the K’paur inquired with one of the Temple Guards for directions.

The garden was peaceful and serene, a stark contrast to the majority of Coruscant. Alexander could see why Maeve had chosen this spot for their spar. He leaned against the tree, watching the Shadow as she seemingly meditated until she finally noticed his presence.

And miss an opportunity to test myself against you? I wouldn’t miss it for anything.” He flashed Maeve a grin, before pushing off from the tree and walking towards her. “I slept very well, you?

She had hoped he would show, and there he was. Bright-eyed and tall, his jaw dusted with stubble. In the predawn light, he almost looked like the Temple Guards who roamed the halls, and part of her wondered what it'd be like to have him among them, a member of their Order. She wondered what he'd be like in the robes of a Jedi Knight.

Not to say he looked bad as a soldier.

Walking across the courtyard, Maeve wore less than casual robes, more dress than uniform. The fabric was sky-blue and not quite the outfit one wore for a sparring, but it served her enough. She felt confident her choice in clothing wouldn't matter.

"Someone's eager," she told Alexander. "We'll see how long that lasts."

Maeve gave no smile, but she couldn't deny the stab of excitement she also felt in her gut. It had been a long time since she sparred with someone like Hayes, someone who could match her in skill and swordplay. Would she go easy on him? Probably not.

"I slept well, thank you. But we're not here to trade pleasantries, are we?"

The sky glowed with the first glimpse of morning. Maeve carried two training swords, ceremonial blades with tipped points and constellations engraved on each metal face. She tossed one over to him across the clearing, expecting him to catch it.

"Shall we begin?" Maeve beckoned. "I'll be generous and permit you the first strike."

She raised her sword. Only now, she smiled. A rare and teasing smirk.

Alex chuckled lightly at Maeve’s answers. Ever the stoic one, but he could pick up the excitement that was coursing beneath the Shadow’s skin. She was eager to test herself against him, just like he was to her. The scene was nothing different to the K’paur, having faced similar kinds of spars back during training.

But there was always something special when sparring against a Jedi, especially one he had watched ‘work their magic’ beforehand. Maeve was going to be a challenge, that was without a doubt.

And that primal part buried deep within the K’paur roared with anticipation.

Oh, that’s very generous indeed.” He said with a teasing grin. Alex raised his hand, easily catching the blade that Maeve had thrown him. The K’paur looked it over for a few moments, admiring the craftsmanship. And then his eyes fell upon his opponent, as she shifted into a stance.

It was then he noted her choice of attire for their spar. The dress was unexpected, but Maeve wore it well. Plus it spoke of confidence that she didn’t need any form of protective armour for their little bout. Comparatively, Alex was wearing his usual getup whenever he was sparring, a simple combo of tank top and trousers. The former of which allowed for a view of his shoulder, where metal and flesh melded together.

We shall.” He answered, matching Maeve’s smirk. Alex began the spar by quickly lunging towards Maeve, sword raised for a more overhead blow, only to pivot at the last moment into a swipe to her left side.

As soon as Alex fell into stance, Maeve knew not to underestimate him.

His form was tight and practiced. He kept his back straight and arms out. He radiated confidence and he'd clearly come prepared, dressed in just a tank-top and trousers, and she couldn't help but size him up, studying his grip, the polished sheen of his prosthetic arm, or…

No, she thought. None of that. She couldn't get distracted. Absolutely not.

Especially when he was charging right for her.

She dropped into a defensive stance, watching every twitch of his muscle. He feinted an overhead strike, then dashed his sword to her left, which she met with her own blade and an elaborate twirl. Steel clanged and she danced to her left, following the momentum of his blow.

"Clever," she said. "But it's going to take more than a simple feint to catch me off guard." One eyebrow raised, she gave him only a moment to reply before striking back, thrusting the tip of her blade towards his chest. "What else do you got?"

The K’paur grinned as he took a step back, creating just enough distance that as Maeve extended her arm to thrust towards his chest, it stopped just shy of it.

Gotta start simple, can’t be showing off all my tricks right away.

Alexander playfully swatted Maeve’s blade to the side, and reset his footing, slipping into an offensive stance. The marine knew he had to be both careful and observant when facing someone like Maeve. She was trained as not just a Jedi, but a Shadow too. Meaning on top of her lightsaber training, she was also going to be quick and efficient in her movements.

For all intents and purposes, the K’paur was at disadvantage.

But he could be deceptively fast for his size.

Alex dashed forwards, immediately entering into a flurry of attacks. They were a mix of slashes, both sweeping and close, never attempting to thrust his blade forwards. Each time Maeve either blocked, deflected or dodged, the K’paur quickly followed up with either another heavy or light slash.

Light. Heavy. Light. Light. Heavy.

A subconscious pattern began to form in his movements, right up until he shifted course and brought his blade down for an overhead attack.

"Tricks? I'd be surprised if you had any left."

Maeve shot him an almost-smile. She was actually starting to enjoy this. The banter, the movement. Dancing from here to there, each swing of her blade like a song as it cut through the air towards him. It wasn't everyday she fought an opponent as skilled as Alex, and he was far more proficient with a blade than she gave him credit for.

He moved quick as an eyeblink, descending on her with one blow after another. Maeve was forced completely on the defensive and slowly began to lose ground, step by step, starting to near the cloister of the walled courtyard. She could barely find an opening in his attacks.

Until his movements changed. A downward strike, aimed for her head.

One-handed, she didn't have enough time to bring up her sword to block, but another idea came to mind. The Force called and she reached out, and suddenly, a spare training blade came to her other hand, which she used to catch and parry Alex's overhead blow.

VVVDHjr.png
She smacked it aside and, now armed with two blades, twirled them about and smirked.

Was it cheating? Maybe. But when it came to a real fight, there was no such thing. "I hope you don't mind. I thought we could make things a little more… interesting."

Without another word, she struck back. Left and right. Down and at an angle. She unleashed a wave of her own attacks, just as he did, but now armed with two blades instead of one. How he would manage to fend her off this time, well, she would soon find out.

For a moment there was a flash of surprise on Alexander’s face, as he brought his blade down only to be met by two swords rather than one. But it quickly shifted into a grin as Maeve parried his attack and took a few steps back.

Oh not at all, I like interesting.” The K’paur stepped back himself, taking a moment to stretch his arms a little, knowing he was about to go on the defensive. “Besides, as I’m sure your teachers taught you. A real opponent won’t necessarily play fair.”

The moment after he shifted into a defensive stance, Maeve made her move. She swung at him with blows coming left and right, at a lower angle. At first, Alexander used his sword to block and deflect her attacks, just barely managing to keep up with both of the Shadow’s blades. But it didn’t last for long, as Meave was continuously pushing him back.

Until Alex intercepted her right blade, blocking the incoming blow with his cybernetic arm. Her left sword followed, but the K’paur blocked it with his own. There was a momentary pause, enough time for Alex to smirk at Maeve.

She probably hadn’t anticipated he’d outright use his arm as a shield.

Capitalising on the pause, the K’paur knocked Maeve’s left blade to the side, giving him a chance to thrust his blade in between.

Thus the dance resumed, only this time Alex took the lead. Actively using his metal arm to block Maeve’s right attacks, while using his sword to intercept left and get in a stab or two where he could.

"Really?" Maeve said when he met her blade with his arm. Wood clanged uselessly against the metal. "You're lucky we're not using real lightsabers. Not sure that would've ended as well."

She didn't even know whether or not his cybernetics really could take on a lightsaber, but that didn't matter. At his smirk, he smacked her blade aside like it was nothing and carved out an opening for a quick thrust at her chest.

Surprise flashed in her eyes. Instead of jumping to the back foot again, she snapped to the side, feeling his sword just barely graze the side of her half-dress, half-uniform. Now, had that been a lightsaber, Alex would've burned clean through the fabric and into skin.

She raised an eyebrow at him, impressed. She was eager, too.

Maeve danced backwards—sideways from his view—then she leapt straight at him again, a lightning bolt. She let loose a hurricane of strikes, first at his torso, next to his hand, and then, right for his neck. If he managed to escape that one, he'd probably feel the edge of her blade whistle just past his throat.

"You're sturdier than I thought," she admitted, fighting back the urge to pant, to show weakness. "Remind me who again taught you how to wield a sword like this?"

Alexander didn’t know if his arm was lightsaber resistant either, but he only resorted to it here because they weren’t using them. But he knew there would inevitably be a day where he’d end up having to test that particular limit.

Note to self, remember to look more into what the arm is made of.

The K’paur had to quickly realign his focus, as Maeve moved like lightning towards his side. Suspecting she was going to be swift in her attacks, Alex dodged the first strike towards his torso. However, he failed to anticipate the follow up and Maeve landed a blow to his hand. Although it seemed to achieve little, as the K’paur’s hold on his blade didn’t budge.

He just barely ducked backwards in time, damn near feeling Maeve’s blade as it whistled past his throat.

To be fair, I am kinda cheating,” Alex chuckled, taking several steps back so they could both have a breather. “My bone structure is a lot more durable, and well the whole having two hearts thing helps.

The K’paur smiled at Maeve’s question, though his gaze did shift away momentarily. A flash of sadness in his eyes, gone within the next second.

Old squadmate, had a great uncle or something who was supposedly a famous swordmaster. Could seamlessly manipulate wind with his movements. They trained at a young age, and when they found themselves in bootcamp with us a lot, they offered to pass on those teachings.

How the hell they managed it amidst the rest of their training…

Not many on the squad took them up on the offer, but I was one of them. I already used knives and other shorter blades, so why not broaden my skills a bit more.

"Not exactly cheating if you were born with it."

She huffed. Maeve had fought all manner of creatures and species—Trandoshans who could regrow entire limbs, Wookies who could tear them out like nothing, and changelings that could transform into whoever they wanted. She expected for someone like Alex, a K'paur, to edge her out in a few biological aspects. That was expected.

"Whoever your squad mate was, they taught you well," she said, the clang of their swords ringing out again over the courtyard. They seemed to be quite even, and no matter how many tricks she pulled—despite wielding two blades—Alex always managed to rebuff her attacks.

Of course, she hadn't tried everything.

"You're clearly not lacking in skill," Maeve added, and then with a spin, she threw out her hands toward him, unleashing a devastating Force Push. Nothing too crazy, but depending on his footing, it'd either throw him across the courtyard or send him skidding away.

She smirked. "But you didn't quite broaden them enough, did you?"

That they did,” Alexander said, a soft smile on his face. As much as it often pained him to think of his lost squadmates, it also equally held happy memories too. And he liked to think that he honoured their memory by never slacking in his training. Maybe one day, he’ll pass on the teachings too?

Alex continued to defend against Maeve’s attacks. There were the occasional moments to attack, but they were far and few between. Sure, he could keep up with his opponent’s attacks, even while she was utilising two blades. But there was only so much one could do defensively, without much of an opportunity to flip it around.

Then Maeve decided to throw a little curveball and hit him with the Force. It wasn’t enough to outright knock him off his feet, but the K’paur did go skidding back. Took him by surprise to a point that Alex had to use his metal arm to make sure he didn’t topple backwards.

Ahh, so that’s how it is, is it?” Alexander looked over at Maeve, a smirk on his face. “I was wondering when you were going to finally pull that out.

He stood up, looking not too concerned about adding the Force into the mix. “You have a point, I haven’t exactly broadened them outwardly.” Inwardly however, was another matter entirely.

The K’paur closed his eyes, focusing on the Force as it ebbed and flowed around him. He let it flow through his body, intertwined with his senses, connecting them together. Alexander raised his sword and shifted into a stance, all the while his eyes remained tightly closed.

Your move.

"You aren't surprised?" Maeve said as he recovered from the Force Push. A smile continued to tug the corner of her mouth. "Am I really that predictable?"

She paced around him, training swords swaying back and forth. Distantly, she could feel the Force pool around him and seep into his body, but where it was going or what he planned to do with it, she couldn't tell. She inwardly prepared a shield to protect herself in case he attempted to throw her across the courtyard, but little did she know what Alex had in mind.

His eyes were closed. His guard was down. He left himself wide open. An easy target.

At his beckoning, Maeve huffed. "I'm sensing a trap, but alright, soldier. I'll bite."

Ignoring the alarms going off in her head, she didn't hesitate. With a burst of speed, she descended onto the K'paur like a hungry mynock, thrusting one sword at his gut before slashing the other up at his face. It was time to see what he could really do.

Not predictable, no. I just always expect my opponent to use everything in their arsenal.

Alexander took a deep breath, attempting to calm his heartbeat. It was inescapable for him to not feel adrenaline whenever he was in a fight. No matter whether it was a serious fight, or just a friendly spar.

Instead the K’paur focused on the Force, letting his sense of sight fall away. He could feel Maeve’s movements in the Force, and her suspicion lingering towards him. Alexander couldn’t help but grin slightly, knowing that either way she was going to make an attack.

As Maeve rushed in to attack, time seemed to freeze momentarily for the marine. Almost like a snapshot, a moment where he could feel the physical motion, the intent behind his opponent’s attack.

The K’paur side-stepped, dodging the first attack, followed up by tilting his head back to avoid the second blade swinging up towards it. For a moment it seemed as though Alexander wasn’t going to respond in kind, until he suddenly dashed into movement. He stopped on a dime behind the Shadow, spinning on his heel as he swung his blade down across Maeve’s back.

Maeve had been quick. She'd been smart. Just maybe not smart enough.

Alex moved like liquid fire, swaying to the side to escape one sword then leaning back to flee the other. He reacted the way a proper Jedi would, maybe faster, and in an eye-blink, she saw he was already pushing into her blind spot.

In that split moment, she remembered what he'd done to those soldiers back during their first mission on Myomar. Armed with only a knife, he had taken down a half dozen men with just as much experience as he, all in the time it took her to deal with Cosanta. He was no ordinary soldier, that much was obvious, and he made it clear again now.

Maeve tried to slip away from his next blow, and though she was close, it wasn't quite enough. She felt the tip of his training sword skim across her back—a wound that if made with a lightsaber, would've surely knocked her on her ass. A wound that might've killed.

She stumbled forward, then steadied her footing.

Her back to him, Maeve cast Alex a look over her shoulder, then huffed what might've been a laugh. He had made the first mortal blow, and in most duels, that made him the winner.

Shaking her head, she turned to face him. "Well, seems I underestimated you. Again." She blew a strand of hair out from her face and the corner of her mouth lifted into a half-smile. She should've been agitated at losing. But to Alex? Strangely, she wasn't.

"That sure was an interesting way of using the Force. Can't say I've seen it often. Did your old squadmate teach you that too, or was that all you?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom