Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Nothing Good Can Come Of It

Kai and Gerda

K
It was on a clear spring day that Alyosha’s life changed forever. He was on Corellia, his homeworld, enjoying the mobility afforded him by the end of the bounty on his head. At last, he was a free man, able to go where he liked and do as he pleased.

In this instance, though, “doing as he pleased” involved getting a stiff drink. He sat at a bar, sipping the Corellian ale the planet was known for, savoring the taste for the first time in months. Oh yes, it was good to be home…

“Half-breed!”

He looked up, turning toward the sound of a loud voice calling across the bar. Someone was rapidly striding toward him, a tall, fit woman with black hair. She would’ve been attractive, if it weren’t for the look of feral rage and disgust on her face.

Alyosha’s danger sense flared. Leaping out of his chair, he darted away just as she aimed a knockout punch at where he had been sitting.

“What the hell is your problem?” he demanded.

But it seemed his question had already been answered. The woman had called him “half-breed”. The real question was, what made her say that? Who or what exactly did she think he was?

“Listen, I don’t know what this is about—but I think you’ve got the wrong guy,” he said.

His attempts at reasoning with her fell on deaf ears. “You’re a hybrid,” she sneered. “I can smell it on you. K’paur blood mingling with Human filth!”

Growling, the woman lunged at him. Alyosha darted to the side. His hand closed around his glass of ale still sitting on the counter, and as he spun to face her he brought the glass down on her head.

It shattered, stunning her momentarily. By the time she had shaken off the disorientation, he had his Light-Spear out. The long reach of the weapon wasn’t suited to the crowded bar, but most bystanders had already fled the scene of the fight.

The woman snarled as she clambered to her feet. But as she lunged again, Alyosha stretched out and hit her with the staff. Electricity shot through her body upon contact. She screamed, then fell on the floor in a heap.

He checked for a pulse. She was alive; the electricity had merely knocked her out. Since he had no idea who the woman was, he hunted for something that would identify her, eventually finding her ID. It listed her name as Rathina Florescu, and her species as K’paur.

Leaving her behind, Alyosha left the bar in a hurry, determined to lose her. If she could smell his bloodline, well, he’d just have to head into space, where scents didn’t carry.

But the bizarre encounter continued to weigh on his mind, particularly because of the implications. The woman had unwittingly shed light on one of the great mysteries which had hounded Alyosha all his life—the uncertain heritage of his father.

His mother Sinead had been young and foolish. A brief fling with a man whom she knew virtually nothing about had resulted in Alyosha, her first child. Alyosha hadn’t cared who his father was, figuring that if the man was willing to use and abandon his mother like that, he wasn’t worth his time anyway. But part of him had wondered what his father was, especially given some of Alyosha’s more… unusual traits.

And now this bizarre, violent encounter had jolted his curiosity anew. He had never heard of the K’paur, so they must not be a very common species. That might mean his father would be easier to track down, assuming the woman’s sense of smell was accurate.

Oh, hell. He didn’t want this, not right now! Just when he was starting to make something of himself… But once he had a taste of the truth, he couldn’t leave it alone for long. He had to get to the bottom of this mystery, even if it only led to misery.

Returning to his ship, he posted on a Holonet forum, not sure where to turn for more information. He was careful to use an untraceable account, and to make no mention of his real name.

Today I met a woman who told me I was half K’paur. I would like to know more about this species.

I never knew my father. My mother met him on Corellia twenty six years ago. I was the product of their brief fling. He left her before I was born. She apparently didn’t even know his name, or if she did she forgot it by the time I was old enough to start asking.

If anyone has any information on the K’paur, or might know my possible father, message me on this account. I want answers, no matter how bad they might be.

Lucianus Adair Lucianus Adair

Obulette
Mid-Morning

In-between meetings and training he was scheduled to give to some of Mecrosa's neophyte assassins, there was a brief reprieve to check messages, and other items that came across his inbox; things of a non-urgent nature to tend to at his leisure. Most were queries from others in the province, or long-running textual jousts from within and without Mecetti's borders, plus various invitations, academic missives, and then there was the smattering that HoloNet crawlers cobbled together for him: bits and pieces pulled together on the basis of keywords, phrases, or concepts; a practise he had begun to undertake as a Lord of the Fringe, years prior.

Stirring sugar into a cup of tea, he tapped out a short reply to one message in particular, with the other hand, also making use of untraceable means; the denizens of the Tapani Sector had no need to be peering into his personal business nor did he care to have others from without visiting unwanted attention upon him. He had little patience for the renewing of ancient grudges or gripes. The message was as follows:

If you cannot be dissuaded from this search, find me on Corstris in a weeks' time.

Appended to the message were a set of coordinates for a location upon Corstris, which would coincide with the dilapidated ruins of a modest house, a single, defiled grave, and the foreboding remnants of a sickening presence, baked into the land on which it all stood - once the only sign of intelligent life for hundreds of kilometres, amongst the choke of trees. There had been an old Alliance outpost many clicks west, in the intervening time between then and now, but it was long since claimed by nature.

Corstris is not on Chaos' map, but it would be located near Dathomir, in TSE space.

Kai and Gerda

K
Theo Vathek, the pilot of the Harlock, was napping in his chair. The Wroonian was surrounded by brightly-colored pazaak cards and a half-empty pack of cigarras. The quiet was abruptly disturbed by the arrival of Alyosha, who hurried into the cockpit and shook Theo awake.

“Wha—what’s happenin’?” Theo mumbled, coughing and wiping sleep from his eyes.

“We’re leaving.” Alyosha was already at the navicomputer, sending the information from his datapad. “And as for our destination, we not only have a heading, we have exact coordinates.”

Theo blinked as the data appeared on the screen. “Corstris? Never heard of it.”

“An old deserted Alliance base world, almost nobody there,” Alyosha replied, settling into the co-pilot’s chair. “It’s near Dathomir.”

“Dathom—” Theo sat up, wide awake now. “As in, inside Sith space?” He paused, waiting for his friend to reveal this was all a joke. When no such reassurance came, he groaned. “Man, you gotta be chittin’ me! Haven’t you been payin’ attention to the news? Dathomir’s in trouble with ‘em! The Sith are gonna be crawling up our ion engine the minute we drop outta hyperspace!”

“Not much we can do about that,” Alyosha murmured. He was already pressing buttons, prepping the ship for the jump. “Do we have enough fuel?”

“No!” Theo announced, glad they had an excuse to delay.

“We'll have to stop along the way, then. We have a week to get there. That’s more than enough time.”

"What the hell are we going there for in the first place? Why risk our necks to go to a deserted planet?"

"So that I can get some answers," Alyosha replied, looking his friend dead in the eye. "This is my chance to learn what I am."

Theo clutched his head, grit his teeth, then sighed in defeat. “Corstris it is, then…”

Theo stayed behind with the ship while Alyosha ventured forth into the wilderness of the overgrown planet. The coordinates given to him by the mysterious contact led him to a dilapidated, abandoned homestead.

He explored the grounds a little, checking for potential threats, but like much of the rest of the world there was seemingly no sentient life to be found. All that was left was a disturbed grave, and a sense of foreboding that lingered over everything, as if the place was haunted.

Alyosha circled around to the entrance of the house. Though the building had long since fallen into disrepair, he tried his luck and knocked on it anyway.

The knock brought no response... at least, not at first. There was no sound of movement, either, and even if Alyosha were to reach out with his senses, they heavy choke of darkness would be likely to hinder his efforts. There was indeed someone else in the vicinity, however, and that 'mysterious contact' was well aware that his guest had arrived, and was taking his time, mulling over the presence standing at the door; teasing it apart, running fingers over the obsidian blade in his grasp, which had a putrid imbuement alike to this place.

Then the long, slow scrape of said blade being sheathed sounded, muffled by the dilapidated structure, dissonant against the mild cacophony of nature. Footsteps climbed on stone stairs, faintly echoing, becoming louder as the Tapani ascended from beneath the earth. Footsteps that caused the old floorboards to protest, groaning, creaking under the load. The door whined open without a touch, rusted joints in sure need of lubrication, an unpleasant sound on the ears.

"Most would call what you have done, in coming to a deserted place, where the marks of civilisation have long succumbed to the unrelenting persistence of nature, on the limited instruction of an entity on the Holonet.... a very foolish thing to do."

Lucianus stopped in front of Alyosha, filling the threshold; pale, frigid blue orbs settled on the younger man, who was more appropriately dressed for this place than the Lord that stood before him.

"Unwise."

Pointed emphasis underlined the word.

"That you survived an encounter with a purist makes you either intelligent, skilled, or very fortunate," his head turned, lowered, and he pinched the bridge of his nose; the truth of this situation was a headache, but his gaze lifted and he looked on the young man again, his expression frank, if a shade irritated, "your existence is problematic, but not due to their reasoning."

His hand dropped to the pommel of the obsidian blade, resting there. What a purist was doing outside the territories was another matter entirely, and not as pressing as the present concern, of an empty grave.

"That your progenitor... that my father walks amongst the living, is unfortunate, to say the least."

It left a foul taste in his mouth.

Alyosha Drutin

Last edited:

Kai and Gerda

K
Alyosha stared at the man who now appeared on the porch before him, watching his every move. He didn’t seem that much older than himself, but something about the stranger betrayed a much greater age than his appearance would suggest. His dark-toned, deep voice sounded weary with years, and his gaze seemed unnaturally keen, like that of an animal that knows only that it must survive.

Despite the man’s somewhat hostile attitude, Alyosha tried to focus on the facts of what he was saying. He called the woman who had attacked Alyosha a “purist” and then…

“Hold on,” he interrupted. “Who are you? What is this place? And what makes you think your father is my progenitor?”

He didn’t mind frankness or expediency—it was clear that this stranger didn’t want to deal with this situation any longer than necessary, and neither did Alyosha. All he wanted were straightforward answers. What were the K’paur, and who was his father? Any dangers associated with obtaining (or harboring) such knowledge, he was certain he could deal with.

Then again, he had yet to experience the shockwaves of the bombshell that was about to be dropped on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom