Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Very Routine

It's one of life's mysteries, sir...
8QI3Hga.jpg
yjbLUfg.png
CIS Barracks
Golbah City
Geonosis
A soft longing sigh left Kathy as she sat straddled on the bench in the locker room, which she for a moment had all by herself.

''Yeah... I miss you guys too.'' she said dreamily towards the holographic image of her older brother.

''I gotta go now, but hug mom and dad for me when you see 'em will you?'' she continued, before the two siblings said goodbye and the blue image disappeared from the holoprojector with a faint buzz. She picked it up, swung a leg back over the bench and stood up in front of her marked locker. It had gone a considerable time now since she had been back on Denon and met her family, so it was no wonder the missing was tangible sometimes. However, she were disciplined enough not to let personal matters get in the way of her duty, and today... was guard duty.

Guard duty. A two-person patrol in a set trail around the base. Very routine, and most of the regular soldiers could walk it blindfolded. She had done it just once before, but were known to be dependable and meticulous. Also, the guy who would have been on this shift had called in sick. A good long refreshing walk could be needed right now. Not having read the roster yet, she were curious though as to who else would make the patrol.

Carrying on with her dress up, she grabbed the desert camoflaged BDU jacket and put it over her sand colored t-shirt. Continuing with the gear vest, also in sand, she were almost done and ready for action. The LBP-3 blaster already sat checked in the leg holster and she made the preparing checks on the BAW-88 carbine before hanging it around the neck. Next thing was the open helmet in desert cover, which she put under her arm for the time being.

An energy bar that had hidden itself under the helmet on the shelf, reminded her that she actually was quite peckish on something. Instantly unwrapping and taking a bite of it, she closed the tin locker and headed out to the corridor.

[member="Subject 73 Red"]

Subject 73 Red

We're more ghosts than people.
[member="Kathryn Foster"]

Red was lying down in the dormitories on his bunk. He was just looking up at the ceiling, as he had the top one. He was thinking. About everything. About his life. About where he grew up, an unnamed planet in the Unknown Regions. About his early life, as an experiment along 200 others, created to be top of the line soldiers. About the pirate raid on the labs. About the ensuing battle. About all the lives that were lost, both experiment and scientist. About how he had left the planet by using the personal craft of the dead scientists, as many other experiments did. About his life travelling the galaxy, bringing justice to criminals as a vigilante. About his life at the CIS. About how another experiment joined up the CIS and made contact with Red. And now about now.

Red groaned. He knew that it was time to go on a patrol. Ugh, a patrol. On this desolate planet, of all places. What was the point in patrolling Geonosis? It wasn't like they were going to find anything except sand and rocks.

Red sat up and climbed out of his bunk. He already had his armor on, his helmet was lying close by. Red looked at himself in the mirror. His red hair still the color of blood, and his eyes were the same color. He hadn't changed much in looks since joining the CIS.

Red grabbed his helmet, but didn't put it on. He grabbed his weapons, and walked out of the dormitories into the hallway, towards where he was supposed to meet the person he was going on the patrol with.

Exiting the locker room, the barracks were fairly calm in the middle of the day. Squads and platoons were out on the milsim courses and on the shooting ranges, excersicing for their next deployment under the CIS flag. Deployment that could turn up in an instant. The corridors were clean and spartan with one or two security B1 battle droids walking by, sentient quartermaster aides and administrative personel that rarely saw action but either way were important functions for an army like the Confederacy's.

Kathy threw a glance at her wrist watch as her desert boots carried her confidently down the hallway, all while munching on the energy bar. There was a good deal of minutes left til they should leave for the routine patrol.

She stopped by a security booth and turned her blue glance to the roster at the wall. Red. Just... Red? She had never heard of that name. Could be a new recruit, but she doubted they would send a complete rookie to guard the HQ. The army were big, anyways. New faces came and went. The thought left her inkling and raise her eyebrows once, pondering about the name as she waited for him.

Subject 73 Red

Red walked down the corridors, heading to where he was supposed to met his patrol partner. Red didn't expect anything to happen, after all, it was only Geonosis, what did they expect to find? Sand and rocks, and maybe the occasional animal, but that was it.

Red turned a corner, and saw who he had to be working with.

Kathryn Foster, or, Major Foster.

Red had read her file. She seemed like another cocky and arrogant pilot, at least, that was what plenty of officers had to say about her. She did have plenty of accomplishments, yes, but most of the things he had read in her file wasn't something you want said about you, to say the least.

Red started walking towards the security booth.

When Kathryn would turn to look at him, she would see why his name was Red.

His crimson/blood red hair was his most prominent feature. It was both inconspicuous and attention-getting at the same time, if that was even possible, but Red made it possible with his hair. Then there were his eyes, which were also red, but a brighter color of red than his hair. His eyes seemed to bore into her, examine her, and examine everything in the vicinity at the same time. His eyes could easily be described as "calculating".

The sound of another pair of boots approaching got her to turn the head towards it. It was apparent, to say the least, that this would be her partner for a couple of hours out in the geonosian scenery. She had probably never seen such a red hair on a person before, more red than the skin of a gundark. And then there was the eyes, which quite immediately got her to feel discomfort.

Great! Terrific start!

She fought it back and shrugged off his gaze, guessing it would be better for the patrol. He might have recognized her. It looked like it! Maybe even heard stuff, but her creativity behind the flight controls would not matter now, would they? She could definately not remember that she had messed up completely at any time within the CIS, unless being honest and to the point being a bad thing? The way he looked at her could not be because she was a woman, was it? Oh, if it was, he did not know what was coming!

She chewed up the little bit of bar that she still had in her mouth and put the remaining bit away in a pouch of the gear vest.

''You must be Red, I presume? I'm Kathryn.'' she said, and forced a polite yet slightly uncomfortable smile before offering him her hand to shake. Her blue eyes fearlessly met with his calculating red gaze, not challenging though but friendly and confident.

''The other guy called in sick, so I guessed I could help out with this. You got everything you need?'' she continued, building up her positive side again.

Subject 73 Red

Red didn't react, but he took enjoyment in her discomfort. It was fun to watch people react with discomfort to him. He just had that vibe to him. It was because of how he could read a person just by barely glancing at them with his stare.

Red didn't shake her hand, he just merely stared at her with no emotion. He read everything, her posture, her smile, the way she held herself up, the way her shoulders were positioned, and read her eyes. He could read her entire personality just by looking at her. He had great detective and investigation skills.

"I know who you are, Major. And you obviously know my name's Red. Yeah, I've got everything ready to go. Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't think that I'm subjugating you because you're a woman, because I'm not. Also, I look this way at everyone and everything. I've also read your track record and your files." Red said, nailing exactly what she had been thinking. Like mentioned earlier, his investigative skills were very good, he could even vaguely tell what she was thinking by reading the outside of her.

Alright... Not a hand-shaking-person. That's... fine!

She broke with his gaze with a chuckle, and raised the eyebrows in incomprehension to the mans hopelessly neglecting behaviour. A deep sigh of disbelief left her as she glanced to the side, listening to the mans little explication about her and what he knew. He had read her mind quite well, she would give him that. She looked straight back at him, this time a bit more strict.

What the hell was that supposed to mean?!

''Well, I haven't read yours... Figure I don't have to after today, to know what type of guy you are.'' she said, slightly annoyed. The guy had done a real ''achievement'' by getting her there in a matter of seconds after they had met. Sure, she usually had fast and spot-on comebacks to whatever bantha poodo that was thrown at her. But a comment like this, and as early on, was rare even for a den mother as herself. His behaviour and comment made absolutely no sense and sounded more like a covered threat.

She calmed herself down and thought of their task ahead.

''Look...'' she continued. ''We're gonna work together here, wether you or I like it or not. I count on you, and want you to know that you can count on me out there. We're in the same team, remember?'' she stated firmly.

Subject 73 Red

Red looked at her, then, surprisingly, he smiled.

"Oh, really? And what type of guy am I, Major?"

Red could tell that he had unnerved her. She over complicated things, and her thoughts were always bigger than the actual meaning and picture. She overthought what he was actually saying, but he didn't deny her. He wanted to keep her guessing, it was really the only way for someone to actually understand what Red was saying.

He was pushing it. He was definately pushing it.

He found this amusing?

Where had they dug up this guy from?

He understood that his choice of not shaking hands, a pretty common way among human beings, would bother most people, right? Not to mention his non-sensible initial comment? She had met alot of difficult people before, but this one might just have taken the price.

Kathy had to bit her lip to contain herself. As two B1 security droids passed by, her glance fell to the side and then back at the guy's smiling face. A smile that was very hard to take seriously after their introduction. She took a distinct step forward to the red eyed man. She were not a particulary short woman, but there was a lenght difference making her have to slightly look up onto the guy. Though, she seemed totally unmoved by it and again looked into that red gaze.

''We're movin' out... soldier. On me.'' she stated, and left the question be for the sake of being on time out on the patrol. Atleast, the guy had not missed her rank when reading through her files. She proceeded to turn from the guy and put on her helmet on and secured it.

Subject 73 Red

Red knew that he had got to her head, by the way that she was acting. Good, she would have to stay sharp on this patrol, and keeping her wondering about him would keep her sharp.

Red put on his helmet, and secured it.

"Ready to move out." He reported.

She assumed that the red haired soldier would at least follow orders, so she proceeded to the main enterance to the barracks. The did not have to walk for long before the geonosian sun greeted them on the outside. Stopping momentarily, she pulled up a pair of black pilot shades out of a pouch on her chest and put them on before continuing on steady feet towards the starting point of the trail.

She did not say a thing during the short walk to the city's outer perimeter. Between the ordinary draw ups of the task ahead, were silent wonderings about the guy. It did not matter, realy. What did was their task to be one of the patrols that kept Golbah City safe from thugs and creatures that might have a try on the outer reaches of the city. It was a simple task and that fact that they had not started off on the right side, would most probably not be a problem if he just sticked to follow orders. Maybe they both had to shut up for a moment. That was why she did not open her mouth until they reached the edge of a wide ravine with a shallow stream of water on the bottom of it.

The walk and time of silence had helped bring her down in a different mood. She did not have anything to hide, realy. Especially as he seemed to know everything about her already.

''So... You're a curious one, huh? Readin' peoples files and so on... Tell me, what've you read about me?'' she asked, as she scanned the other side of the ravine as they strolled along the edge of it.

Subject 73 Red

Red walked behind her, following her. Red listened to her question, and almost laughed, but he kept his voice neutral.

"Where should I start on what I've read about you? Well, you're a pilot. A good one, some of the reports say. Others say you're unorthodox and dangerous. Apparently, you're reckless, bold, blunt, and aggravating. A couple of reports from officers used more... colorful language about your attitude and skills. You might have a disliked and annoying personality, but you apparently make up for it with some skill." Red replies.

Kathy listened carefully to what the guy said as they casually strolled down the trail, all while keeping her sun shielded gaze scanning the immediate area in front ant around them. He did not hold back on the words, alright. The answer was pretty much expected. She had heard some of them before, but it was a long time ago. Since joining the CIS, being promoted to major and all, everything had seemed to go well. At least to her.

She had full trust in her superiors, like admiral Brayde, would tell her otherwise if things went south. But everyone could not like everyone in such a large organization, and apparently some people had an evil eye to her for reasons unknown.

''Hmm. Dangerous? Aggravating? Never heard those before... You sure you haven't got that from any of my exes?'' she said with a chuckle, trying to put some humor to it. Truth to be told, it deep down felt offensive. The way Red explained were not exactly embeded in pink clouds, but brash and cutting. She had done her absolute best here. Sure, she still had a creative side but she sorted things out when it came down to that. The enemy ships that she had shot down. Rescued squadron comrades out of tight spaces. She would never let her friends down. Never.

''Then you must've also read about Mechis III... Just to pick an example...? There's a reason I'm a major and you're not, Red...'' she continued and draw a pearl of sweat from her forehead.

Subject 73 Red

"And there's a reason why I'm a commando and an agent of the CIS, and you're not." Red replied.

The way he said was calm and collected, but some slight hints about his voice hid his real meaning, leaving Kathryn to wonder if it was a threat, an accusation, a statement, or something else entirely. He had great experience with these sort of things. He knew exactly what to say and how to say it. He somehow knew how to get inside someone's head, and even influence if they will get distracted or to stay sharp because of it.

He had also explained what he knew about her in a way that at first sounded like a normal statement of his knowledge, but was slightly accusing and interrogative.

Kathy raised one hand and made a halt sign. She looked out over the ravine before she took a knee and dug up a small pair of electobinoculars from a pouch.

''No chit...?'' she said partialy for herself but she were sure that Red could hear it too.

''Well, what does an agent like yourself do? Y'know, besides being rude to other CIS personel...'' she said while carefully looking through the binoculars.

''So, you judge people by old files and rumors... Frankly, I don't know what I've done to you to walk in on me like this... I've never even met you! It's not nice!'' she continued, feeling herself tense up a bit again and looked back and up at Red.

Subject 73 Red

Red stared at her. She couldn't see his face beneath his helmet and mask, but his face was still neutral.

"I do special forces work. I can do counterterroism, frontline fighting, marksman, assassination, piloting, infiltration, extraction, investigation, reconnaissance, bomb disposal, demolitions, and every other job infantry and special forces can do. I'm highly trained. Also, I don't care if it's not nice or if I've just met you, I hate people. And right now, I hate you." Red said calmly, but with a hint of anger in his voice, and Kathryn could barely notice it.

It suddenly dawned upon her that Red might not be as human as he looked. She should have seen it long before! What else could explain his behaviour and inexplicable attitude against her?

Her eyes flickered and broke away from his eery gaze under the helmet, genuinely shocked by the response. That uneasy feeling grew inside her again. What if he was a droid, or worse? She realy did not want to be out here anymore. Atleast, not around this guy. But they also had a task ahead of them. A task that she intended to finish with a clean paper.

Kathy turned forward again and concentrated on finish scanning the area. The geonosian sun hid behind some clouds, giving them well needed shade. The sound of small critters down in the ravine reached them, along with the occasional gust of wind that whistled over the edge.

''Right... Let's continue.'' she said and stood up, putting back the binoculars in the pouch and continued the trail without a look at Red.

Subject 73 Red

Red followed after her. Judging by the way her eyes flicked at him and then away, and then how she didn't look at him, and the way she walked, he could tell that she was uneasy and that he could tell what she was thinking.

"I'll put those suspicions to rest." Red said suddenly. "I'm not a human, but I'm not a droid, and I'm not an alien. I'm something new, something you've never seen before. Although, I'm closest to a human, yes, so that's what I tell people, but that's not the full truth."

Judging by her reaction, he knew that he had hit spot onto what she was thinking about him.

After Red's short explanation of what he was, the sound of their boots walking down the dry trail was the only sound that broke the silence that followed. She was usualy excited and eager to explore new things and parts of the galaxy. Eager to know more about the strange occurrences on planets far away. Him, on the other hand, actually gave her the worst creeps. Something with him was mysterious and intriguing, but at the same time calculating and insidious.

An agent, he said? Did the CIS watch over the loyalty of their personel? Like the old imperial ISB bureau? It could not be true, but the question were close at hand.

Suddenly, the ground cracked under her feet and when looking down she were startled to see cracks spreading in the red ground. She had just the time to plunge to the side and hit the ground, before a small portion of the ground slided down the ravine. She turned onto her side, panting by the chock that she were merely seconds from having gone down with the earth and stones which falling sound faded away.

Subject 73 Red

Red was standing on the edge of the ravine, unfazed. He had noticed that the ground was extremely unstable, and he had shifted two inches to the right to avoiding falling. Red looked down at her, disappointed that she hadn't noticed that the ground was unstable, but was glad to see that she had reacted quickly to it. That showed that she had fairly fast reflexes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom