Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not the Trembling Kind

MSEcLfPl.jpg

“Turn off that blasted leap-jump station, Sarlin. I can’t hear myself think,” growled Basca.

“Whoa, what happened to you? Sat on a sauvax or somethin’?”

Detective Terrix sighed and rubbed at her forehead, blowing her bangs out of her eyes. “No, it’s’ just this case. Cybercrimes ain’t my bag, you know that.”

“Can’t help it if recruitment is low for hackers. They’d all rather commit the crimes then solve them. Here.” Lt. handed Bas a flimsi with some information on a slicing ring, one that had been breaking into the Bank of Aargau on a regular basis.

“Lithios? You want me to go there?”

“Afraid to leave your precious Coruscant?” Bas didn’t answer. Frackin' hell, I am. Not afraid, just annoyed. She loathed traveling except if she was on vacation and checked out on a beach somewhere. But following the leads to Lithios was no surprise. Criminals went there to get away, to hide and to never been seen again. Not by the CSF at least.

At least Lithios was another ecumenopolis, one with reportedly bad weather. Rainy. Dark. Bas packed her weatherproof jacket and took an unmarked transport, sleeping in the main passenger area on the overnight trip. In the morning as the vessel broke through the atmosphere, the labyrinth of lights still glimmering on the planet’s surface, she could almost pretend she hadn’t left the Corest of Worlds in all of the Core.

@Ar'ekk

Arekk

The Flesh Of Fallen Angels
Lithios, Ethos City, The Meissa System
"It's a city of dreams and I'm a big dreamer."
——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
Crime.

There were no heroes on this city and certainly Ar'ekk was not one of them. Mingling with the bile of the city was more of his thing, deadbeat mobsters who enjoyed preying on the lesser evil and opressing the innocent type which was usually defenseless against these type of people. Organized crime ran rampant through Ethos City, a neon infested haven for slicers and mercenaries alike, cities flooded with the trafficking of information and cyberware harvesting.

Despite all of this, the former Jedi turned slicer felt right at home even when he set first foot on this uncharted planet. Not appearing in any galaxy map was a plus but people still managed to find out about this vast ecumenopolis one way or the other, including law enforcement. Ar'ekk was careful not to leave any trace after a job, specially after breaking into a shadowport's bank system to stripe all accounts of their credits. He had been caught in the past, sure, who didn't? It came with the turf.

"Morning, Jovim. Get me the usual." He asked to his old friend at the noodle shop just around the corner from his apartment while sitting down on a stool, a cancer stick touching his dry lips and a lighter igniting the end of it. "How's things?"

The oriental looking cook responded with that typical shoulder shrug and seemed to growl while he prepared the man's order, heavy rain downpouring as it always did but sheltering them thanks to a metallic tin roof.

"Bet."
——————————————————————

As she debarked from the transport, Basca cracked her back and sweet relief from the stiffness washed through her hips. Sleeping on a ship was not her idea of a good time and neither was this mission. With the sun peeking over the horizon, trying to emerge from the dark clouds and drizzle, the Detective lit a cigarra and smoked it as she walked along the slick streets, watching her boots.

Bas checked her datapad. She was in Ethos City. Seemed a good place to start at least.

Her own stomach growled and the blonde Detective realized she had not eaten breakfast. A noodle shop was close by so without knowing that the man inside was part of the slicer ring she sought, she went inside.

A savory smell hit her square on as she entered the dark establishment. Basca waved away the smoke and sat down at the bar, a no-nonsense proprietor arching an eyebrow at her.

“I dunno, whatever the locals have,” she said.

A bowl of steaming hot noodles was laid before her, and the Detective slurped them without caring how much noise she made. She slung the datapad with her intel up to her eyes and studied it, while her target sat a few paces from her.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
Jovim's Noodle Shop was located on the sidewalk of the busiest street in Ethos City and most importantly the Merchants' District while Ar'ekk's apartment was two blocks away in the Financial District. The owner, Jovim, had been serving the people of Lithios the best food for over two decades and had become the slicer's number one food stand to visit every morning for breakfast and afternoon for lunch for the past two years since he had been living on the neon-infested city.

People comes and goes in swarms at any given time of the day and the noodle shop wasn't an exception to that, the most popular place to eat a warm bowl of noodles had to have its vast clientele to survive. Ar'ekk was too focused on reading the HoloNet news on his small datapad while slurping from his noodles with Bantha steak to even care about who sat next to himself, most people kept to themselves in this place anyways.

"These noodles are delicious as always, man." the former Jedi mused with a big satifised grin on his face, stomach growling as if it was asking for more, "You know I love coming here. It's part of my daily routine."

His fingertips touched the datapad's screen and swiped between different articles, mostly about organized crime reports where people had been either killed or harvested for their implants, trying to get some details on who to meet and seek for a potential employment opportunity. He didn't need the cash because he was filthy rich since his stint as a Nar Shaddaa crime lord that was too good to even be the head of such thing, but preferred to seek the thrill of adventure.

"How much do I owe you, anyways? Put it on my tab because I will take two plates home."
——————————————————————

The noodles at Jovim's were pretty damn good. “Do you do takeout?” Basca asked, knowing she might be holed up in motel later, studying more intelligence late into the night. Presumably “Jovim” the proprietor handed her a flimsi menu which she tucked into her bag.

The Detective glanced at Ar’ekk, but he was last on her mind as anything but a Lithios resident. The chances of running into someone from the slicing ring was slim to none on such a crowded planet. While Basca knew there was a little bit of luck to investigating, she rarely put stock into it. Hard, fething work. That’s what it really took to crack a complex case. Although when the man nearby said: "How much do I owe you, anyways? Put it on my tab because I will take two plates home." the blonde CSF agent couldn’t help but respond, “It’s good, right? I haven’t been here more than a few minutes and I happen to walk into the best noodle place on the planet. What are the odds?” She’d have to remember this place for a return visit.

“I’m a travel agent,” she said to Jovim, invoking her normal cover as an employee from Galactic Offworld Vacations (GOV). Tucking her datapad away, she drank the leftover broth straight from the bowl and asked, “Where can I find a good hacker. Know of anyone?"

Entrapment was more and more a risky venture on Coruscant because of new legislation protecting the rights of civilians. But on Lithios? While she wasn’t up on all of the local laws, Basca assumed she could pretend to be anyone, and no one would bat an eyelash.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

LCXrD3W.png
——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
"It's the magic of this city. You bump into really great things without knowing."

He sat on his stool and spoke without really facing the blonde CSF detective, instead focusing on his datapad as he flickered through the HoloNet news and slurped from his bowl of noodles. Striking strangers in conversations was not usually a thing that Ar'ekk liked to do but he felt comfortable at Jovim's and out of respect he had to reply back, it's not like his heart had turned to black all of the sudden.

"A travel agent? Here?" The slicer asked rather surprised and somewhat amused about what she said, "This is not the type of planet you want to bring tourists to. They'll get mugged as soon as they leave the spaceport or worse."

A faint laugh escaped him unwillingly, almost feeling bad afterwards because of it. The blonde girl had to be putting on a facade or something because nobody in their sane mind would work as a travel agent and come all the way over to Ethos City for such thing. Ar'ekk kept playing along and mantained that wide-smile-but-wary type of persona as he ate, this time giving Basca a small glance.

"That type of talk gets you killed here. You should be careful, friendly advice."
——————————————————————

“You would be surprised at what type of vacations humans want to go on. The downtown area and the red light district? All viable places for Coruscant businessmen that like their entertainment a little on the seedy side.” Detective Terrix’s long blonde braid was coming loose so she grabbed a lone chopstick and tied her hair up, fingers securing it with the wooden utensil. She glanced at herself in the mirror behind Jovin.

Yes, you are the picture of a harried travel agent.

While adjusting the patterned scarf around her neck, Basca raised a brow when the man mentioned that hiring a slicer was dangerous territory.

“How so? Is the crime that bad?” she asked with a tone that she hoped encapsulated innocence and naivety. Then she added, “It’s not for me, but for my client. And he’ll be mad at me if I don’t at least find him this one thing before he arrives.”

Boots clicking on the tiled floor, Bas made like she was going leave, looking over her shoulder at the man, asking with a determined smirk, “So where did you say I could find a slicer?”

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
"So you are from Coruscant, huh?" The man inquired almost immediately, a side smirk forming on his face. "Interesting."

The previous warning was in good heart rather than a threat, most off-worlders had no idea the type of city this was and ventured freely like it was some sort of big tourist attraction when in fact the homicide rate was higher than anywhere else in the galaxy. Organized crime ran the streets and every little shop, except Jovim's, in exchange of using them as illegal fronts.

"Look around you." His fingers circled around the place as the swarms of people went about their lives, most of them looking rough and tired. "You think this people are living the high rise life? It's a constant struggle of proverty and crime. The richest one percent are enjoying things on their penthouses in the upper district, not getting wet under the rain."

Her question remained unanswered and was given a shrug in return, not really wanting to reveal what he did for a living to a stranger he had met five minutes ago. It would take more than that to talk him out of things, not because he was an a-word but really just very careful of not entangling himself with the wrong people. Law enforcement mostly.

Little did he knew.

"I can't help you there, sorry."
——————————————————————

Basca swiveled her head around, following the man’s cue as his finger circled in the air. “The rain… well, there’s not much we can do about that, right? Unless some investor wants to come in and terraform. Otherwise, no different than Nar Shaddaa, eh?” Basca said. She wasn’t trying to be snide, but it may have come out that way. The small kernel of a headache formed behind her eyes - a gift for the sleepless. Annoyance had crept into her voice despite her best intentions.

“Like I said, my client likes it here. See you at Jovim’s tomorrow?” she said, giving him a two-fingered salute almost like someone from the military. Bas smiled. She would return for those savory noodles again, not sure she'd see any sign of the stranger the next day.

Giving the man one last look as she hiked up her collar, the “travel agent” disappeared into a plume of steam which rose from an open pipe in the street and skulked off, rain drenching her almost immediately. However, her refuge was found in a dancer’s club, bribes readily given to find out exactly where the slicing community gathered. Once she had her information, she headed to that location and set herself up in an abandoned building, contacting a hacker named Lost, someone she was told had no loyalty to anyone on Lithios. No loyalty but to himself. Or herself if that was the case.

Basca sat crossed legged, waiting for Lost, cigarette smoke mixing with the stale air and the smell of dampness from an open window.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
"Nar Shaddaa's chump change compared to Lithios." He slurped the remaining of his noodles while looking at Basca, grinning. "Funny comparison, though."

The datapad quickly found its way within the depths of Ar'ekk's expensive leather jacket and with a smooth move he pulled out a credit chip to pay for the duo's food, grasping on the white plastic bag that contained his takeaway. He didn't take the undercover officer's comments the wrong way and instead he just continued smiling like a total oblivious fool to not raise any obvious flags.

"Maybe." Another smile surfaced but this one was a little more cheeky, as if the chances of that happening was slim. "Have fun."

Walking home under the rain was always accompanied by utter silence except for the heavy downpour falling on his head, droplets splashing against the fine texture of his jacket and dampening his hair so much that it made him look like he had just stepped out of the shower. Ar'ekk never walked the same path home to avoid being followed and getting mugged, that happened even in the rich district that he lived in not too far away from Jovim's.

Keys to his apartment opened the door and the takeaway was left by the kitchen counter, boots kicked off by the entrance before entering. His bed was waiting him eagerly.
——————————————————————

Lithios pride. Basca noticed that this was a thing on the rainy, city-wide planet. Even Lost who, at this point, was living up to his name by smoking an inordinate amount of deathsticks and shuffling around aimlessly as the Detective worked to set up the rig in the empty apartment building, spoke of Lithios like it was the Promised Land, enlightened and rapturous.

I only see squalor. Damp, damp squalor.

But perhaps she needed to see this planet in a different light to uncover its secrets.

Basca fiddled with some wires and then looked up at Lost from the metal stool on which she sat. “Everything’s ready,” she said. “What’s the password?”

Her goal was to catch an illegal transfer in the act. Smoke clouded around the both of them from the pungent smelling death stick, and her contact typed in a long string of numbers and letters, fingers flying across the keyboard.

“There. You’re in.”

“This better be a genuine code break,” she mumbled, staring at the jumble of blue characters on the screen. “We have a nice relocation home for you on Velusia if this all works out.”

Now they waited for unusual activity between the databank of Bank of Aargau and barely identifiable dark web locations within the deep ethernet of Lithios.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
This job was supposed to be like any other one, plain simple breaking and retrieving information from a bank's database. Sure, it was nothing like the Shadowport heist a few months ago yet still had a small amount of difficulty in it. Nobody was skilled enough as Ar'ekk to pull off a little job like this and his popularity in the DarkNet was so high that most jobs were reserved for high-profiled people only.

After getting home from a delicious lunch, the slicer entered his apartment and plopped down on his chair to work on his computer terminal. A few cables found their way into the man's interface plugs hidden in the nape of his neck and connected himself with the whole network, feeling slightly dizzy at first but eventually regaining composure. Tapping in his keyboard he eventually gained access to that 'dark place' of the net.

DarkNet access requested . . .

. . .
. . .
. . .

Please enter login information

User: ICEBRK (ID # 2471)
Password: ***************

Querying server . . .

. . .
. . .
. . .

Credentials accepted. Welcome back ICEBRK!

<--------------------+|+-------------------->​
SUB: The BNK
TO: USER ID # 0019

Let the client know that I've accepted the contract. Job will be done in 24 hours max but allow for 48 hours, check the appropiate site when notified.

"Now, let's see..." The screen was filled with code and computer mumbo-jumbo that the average Joe would take years to even understand, fingers tapping away on the keyboard so fast that you would miss everything that Ar'ekk was doing. "Huh, this is pretty awful security for a bank."

As expected, the Bank of Aargau's security system for its databank was easily exploitable for the slicer's backdoor worms and SXL injections to gain root access and do whatever he wanted with the accounts stored in there. Imagine having millions of credits at your disposal, being able to put anyone on eternal debt and get away unscathed with such. A man like him always took measures and that's why his connection and location was encrypted in a very hard way that the places provided in case you tried to trace pinpointed all over the galaxy.

"Oh, hello Mr. Kehvl. That's a nice balance you got there, it would be a shame if I took that way from you." Which he obviously did, that's what the client wanted. Money. All of them did.
——————————————————————

After a couple of hours, the room began to reek of smoke, black mold and body odor. Basca had taken a scalding shower earlier, the kind that could eradicate any trace of radiation and given the pollution on Lithios she had no doubt the rain was laced with toxic chemicals. This proved to her, however, that the smell was not coming from her.

Bas normally didn’t smoke so much but as soon as she felt her eyes drooping, exhaustion setting in, she lit up a cigarra, if only for the nicotine to keep her awake. Glancing at monitor, a string of blue code dancing along unusually, she called to Lost who was just staring out the window and had been for about thirty minutes:

“Hey, come here. Something’s happening.”

The slicer she’d hired shuffled over, and they switched places, Bas now standing over his skinny frame. Dude needed to eat a sandwich or something, but the habits of the criminals she employed should be of no concern. It’s not your job to mother him. In fact, any stray thought that she’d had which sparked a maternal instinct made her stomach turn almost worse than the foul odor which lingered in the room.

For someone so lethargic, Lost typed incredibly fast. “Okay start the tracer. I’m trying to catch him in some counter code.”

On her own mini-keyboard, hooked up to the mainframe, Basca tapped the keys.

//entering protocol no 38446//

#include <stdlib.h>
int main()
{
int r,a,b;
srand((unsigned)time(NULL));
for(a=0;a<20;a++)

while (foo=fold(bar)){
filterThis=false;
if (condition1){
TRACE();
filterThis=true
if (condition2){TRACELOCATION);filterThis=glob();}}
if (!filterThis)process(foo);}

//completed//

“Can they see you?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“Can you stop them before they actually steal anything?"

“Again, dunno,” Lost replied, his voice taking on a gruff edge, letting her know her questions were annoying. Bas looked down at her datapad.

An address!

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
A warning on his computer terminal alerted Ar'ekk of an intrusion into his terminal, something that shouldn't have happened but did either way. His stint with the Ethos City Police Department was a known one already with over five hundred charges on his name that magically disappeared every time before he appeared on court to for a trial and judgement by these crimes.

After completing the job and ensuring that the client was provided for as expected, the former Jedi turned slicer disconnected from the terminal and realized that it was too late. His address, even though the TunnelVPN system in place to exactly ensure anonymity had failed, had already been tracked and it was time to leave for the time being.

The penthouse on the 91st floor of the Financial District was compromised but due to some strange law on Lithios nobody could search it without express consent from the owner, though that didn't deter corrupt cops to do it anyways.

DarkNet connection lost . . .

. . .
. . .
. . .

"Time to go." Before disconnecting the cables plugged to his neck, Ar'ekk transferred all the data from the job to a data shard that was slotted directly under his ear to carry it to the meeting with the strange client. "Nobody will even suspect this."

Grabbing his leather jacket and slotting the signature K-16 Blaster Pistol into the gun holster, Ar'ekk stormed out of the apartment and locked it with the keys plus put in place the security system that would shoot anyone that tried to break-in. As always, the rain poured over his head without hesitation yet that didn't stop him on his tracks to meet with the contact near the Pax Metro Station.
——————————————————————

“339 Gentian Way, Financial District,” she told Lost, her mind moving exponentially faster than her fingers could. She typed in the address and noticed that it belonged to a giant skyscraper in the middle of the city, but one that wasn’t too far away from their location.

“You stay here,” Basca advised Lost.

“No, I-I’ll come with you. I can help you find it.”

“The GPS can do that, but okay… ”

A natural warning prickle made its way up her spine over the fact that Lost wanted to tag along, especially when he’d been so anemic before. He could barely keep his eyes open and now he wants to go on a joyride to catch one of these slippery hackers?

Shaking her head, the Detective ran out the door to the apartment, hurtling down the stairs, her legs pumping as she practically took two at a time. Maybe Lost would get too winded and just let her go on ahead. Once in the lobby she commandeered one… okay, two speeder bikes. And off they went, Basca clearly zooming ahead towards the skyscraper, weaving recklessly in and out of traffic, trying to lose her contact. Like a one-night stand who’d worn out his welcome, she didn’t need him getting in the way if anything violent went down.

While they were a mile away from it still, they would pass the Pax Metro Station en route to the Financial District.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
"You are the guy?" The slicer gave a man dressed in ragged clothes a once over, making sure he was clean and that nobody had followed either of them. "You owe me 125.000, half on delivery was our agreement. I already got half in advance. Pay me and I'll give you what you need."

In this line of work, there was no such thing as being "too" cautious about things specially if you were doing this on a place like Ethos City were organized crime ran rampant on the streets. The contact could be anyone ranging from a cop to your competition trying to get ahead of you and hopefully murder you to obtain the glorifying respect that many of the prospective slicers seek to increase their networking.

"Here's your chip, encrypted as you asked." A handshake between the two disguised the transaction from being too noticeable at first glance, making it seem more like a friendly chatter between two old acquaintances. "Mr. Z will contact you on the regular channels if he needs you again. Good work."

"Have fun."

Done. Another day, another payday and trouble was nowhere in sight but things were never that easy. Doing a quick readout of the credit chip gave him a glimpse of what kind of tricks people loved to pull on others and the chip was infected with some sort of virus that shut down all your terminals if you slotted it in, kind of a security measure that only those worthy of identifying at first were going to receive their payment.

Thankfully Ar'ekk was smarter than anyone out there and the money was his. After a minute the former Jedi turned slicer boarded the first train that would leave him at the doorstep of the skyscraper where his apartment was located at, unaware of the little surprise that awaited him...
——————————————————————

Basca couldn’t remember if Jovim’s was open twenty-four hours, but as her stomach growled at a red light, she hoped the operation would be over soon so she could order some of those delicious noodles for dinner. She recalled a menu item with cholla meat and chando peppers.

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

But Bas knew that the more she wished something to happen, the likely the opposite would occur, meaning she’d probably be up for another twenty-four hours without nothing but a melted protein bar in her pocket.

She was about to speed off when the light turned green, but a giant hologram of legs in fishnet stockings strolled by in her visual path. Lost zoomed forward, and now she found herself following him. Before Basca could move her speeder bike past him, her GPS alerted her to the destination: 339 Gentian Way, Financial District. Hopping off the bike, she headed straight in, past the doorman, flashing her badge as an afterthought and took the elevator up until she and Lost were at the apartment door.

“Ready?” she whispered, still preferring to do this alone but Lost pulled out a vibrodagger from his boot - something Bas hadn’t stripped off him before - and thinking, if it’s two against one, she’d be glad for the help.

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
"What's new, Deker?

The elderly man at the front desk was clumsy and liked to sleep on the job but had a good soul, Ar'ekk had become friends with him the first day he moved in to the apartment after departing Je'daii territory. They trusted each other just enough to ask for favors and whatnot, the slicer paying him a hefty "bribe" from time to time for information and to have a heads-up in case someone came looking for trouble.

"A woman and a scrawny looking teenager took the turbolift, she flashed her badge but didn't say a thing." The guard reclined on his chair and eventually explained Ar'ekk what had transpired only a few minutes before he entered the main hall. "I will stay put. You be safe up there, who knows what they want."

"Thanks. Have dinner on me tonight, here."

A credit chip was launched the guard's way and up the turbolift the fallen Jedi turned slicer went, arriving to the floor below his apartment and using the stairs to reach his own floor to avoid being detected. The service door slowly opened just enough for him to watch Basca and Lost's every movement as they stood outside the apartment, K-16 Bryar Pistol stirring nervously inside his leather jacket.

"Bad idea for you two."

He mumbled to himself before closing the door, waiting for the right moment to confront them.
——————————————————————

There was one final thing that Detective Terrix had to before she knocked on the door. Blaster still in her hip holster, she pulled out a small bioscan device which was equipped with a mini-life form indicator. This would tell her if there was anyone inside - especially important if there were multiple individuals and if there was more than one perp, Basca would call for backup, and hopefully Ethios City was not so corrupt that the joint agreement between the local authorities and the CSF would be honored as Lt. Sarlin had assured her it would.

As she concentrated on the scanner viewport, noting how there seemed to be no one in the apartment, not even a four-legged creature, she could hear Lost’s lungs rattling behind her. Fripping hell even his breathing annoyed her. But then the rattle became a buzzing noise, and in a split second, she tried to whack the slicer in the face with the back of her fist, but he snatched her, arms locked tight around her body, and she could feel the vibroblade humming against her pale throat, just hovering a centimeter above the skin.

“Right here? Now? You’re going to turn on me. You had me alone for hours before. Why is betrayal so important at this very moment!"

Basca was shouting so loud she didn’t care who heard her, or if it allowed the target inside the apartment to get away. She not only hoped to make a commotion, but she was as furious as a rancor caught in a sting-brush patch. Again Lt. Sarlin handpicked Lost as her contact for this assignment. Was anything trustworthy on this godforsaken rimkin rock?

[member="Arekk"]

Arekk

——————————————————————
[member="Basca Terrix"]
Trust no one and you will never be disappointed.

Almost considered to be Ethos City's unwritten motto, that was the truth if you were going to toy around places where you shouldn't and Basca had seen the bad part of such thing. She had been backstabbed by the scrawny slicer that she had for a companion and to see the female detective being surprised because it happened made Ar'ekk feel amused somehow, though not helping her would mean she'd die.

"Feth." He mumbled once again while peeking through the gap in the service door, watching the situation unfold. "Save the cop or scare the guy. What's it gonna be?"

Probably waiting a couple of minutes was the best idea and he went ahead with that, his blaster pistol was at hand's reach if things turned uglier than expected. Eavesdropping on their conversation, the fallen Jedi turned netrunner collected enough information from the dark secrecy of the emergency stairs. If either of them decided to make their way towards him then they'd struggle to escape, having to confront Ar'ekk with a pistol to their face even if they managed to get it open.

"Karking cop at my door though she doesn't seem local. Nobody's that dumb to trust another person here."
——————————————————————

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom