Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Nobuna Projector

Status
Not open for further replies.
e6cx69g.gif
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
SPECIAL FEATURES
STRENGTHS
  • Sleg - Quintessence Power Source: A heavier battery designed to give off high levels of heat and energy. The sleg makes the gravity well projector highly explosive if they don't have an advanced heat sink installed.
  • Synthetic Tobal Lens: An advanced heat sink, designed to convert heat at high efficiency into extra energy. For the train to gain increased levels of speed and use its advanced systems that have been installed and built into it.
  • Kyber Enhancement: Using methods of the first orders finalizer kyber crystals to enhance the energy output of the systems.
  • Sub-Hyperspace Interdiction Project: Designed with amplified gravity well projectors that use sub-hyperspace to project across intersteller space.
  • Surprise: The design of the projector is made to provide one of the biggest surprises from being able to keep an enemy fleet from jumping out of their system for a brief moment by tripping the ship safeties to artificially making asteroid fieldsdebris fields to place them within hyperspace lanes to create surprises and obstructions.
WEAKNESSES
  • Power Draw: Designed to be a newer model with emphasis on its advanced systems. The power draw from the reactors can be massive and the use of Atrisias new Iso-Didact reactor while providing the power.
  • Timing: The projector itself runs a high risk.. while the power required is massive the ability to sustain its gravity projector is secondary after making it. The greater the distance the less time the protector can be on with the best test being Atrisia to Eisei one of its furthest colonies on the edge of the galaxy near Dac. The projector could be run without incident for sixty minutes while places like Sakura could be up to eight hours.
  • Heat generation: Internally a very big thing. With the amount of weapons to power and repulsors the engines run hot. Easier to pick up on thermal and more visible in visual scans. The synthetic tobal is designed as the main heat sink converting excessive heat into energy but if fractured the internal systems can start to melt. The sleg itself when exposed to high heat can become unstable and highly explosive. Making each of the trains a potential bomb.
  • Highly experimental: There is no real tests done in the use of sub-hyperspace and punching a hole through quintessence energy can and likely will have dangers. Gravity sensitive species can see its manipulation and spaceborne creatures like predators can be attracted to the anomaly.
  • Superstructure: The experimental housing and design makes this a massive beast and it requires both power and mass. Ships below 5,000 meters are ill equipped to handle it normally without severe reconstruction. Usually by building the ship around the projector and not having additional weapons.
  • Stretching: The gravity well being projected diminishes with the distance between. The opposite end presents a small cone like area instead of a large well as normal and it can get smaller with the more distance. While i can touch other areas it isn't the end all be all and relatively simply distancing can clear the gravity it projects.
  • Duel modes: The tractor/pressor that projector is capable of it powerful but switching between it and the well projector take several hours and leaves the ship vulnerable.
  • Crew size: Continual monitoring is required and needed to make sure the crystals are aligned and not fracturing to damage and blow up the projector.
  • Warming Up: Traditional gravity well projectors can spin up and function within minutes, to reach full power the projector can take a handful of hours and requires preparation.
  • Accuracy: The gravity well at longer ranges is frequently imprecise enough that many ships can maneuver in short order to an area clear of gravitational disturbances and jump into hyperspace.
DESCRIPTION
Designed on a smaller scale to test out gravitational and hyperspace technology... with some surprising results. Using quintessence energy allows punching through not just hyperspace but real space in a way that large distances can be traveled... The idea of using ships is possible but a chance to test out what can be sent was there. So magnite and kyber crystals were used to supercharge gravity well projectors and testing it out to sustain a small tunnel that allowed it to be projected. They didn't have the data and information for mass production but several prototypes were produced to try and create a scaled down version of ancient hyperspace tractor beams. Even with the magnite and kyber while it is powerful the projectors can't move celestial bodies but making a gravity well in different systems that can create surprise interdicition fields and keep the ships with them in relative safe space. It isn't perfect though, stretching the gravity well across such distance makes it strink on the other end and even then it is mostly for the element of surprise rather then a tactical advantage.

NOTE: I KNOW THIS IS HIGHLY AMBITIOUS AND WILL GLADLY TAKE MORE BALANCING IF NEEDED AS THE SUGGESTION

Last edited:
Junko Ike Junko Ike I'll be your judge for this submission.

As you've said, this is a highly ambitious sub that seems to draw on some speculation, and some topics where I likely need to do more research.

But one thing immediately sticks out to me:

Even with the magnite and kyber while it is powerful the projectors can't move celestial bodies but making a gravity well in different systems that can create surprise interdicition fields and keep the ships with them in relative safe space. It isn't perfect though, stretching the gravity well across such distance makes it strink on the other end and even then it is mostly for the element of surprise rather then a tactical advantage.

What sort of range are we thinking about here? Something within the same sector? Across the galaxy?

Gir Quee Gir Quee

I will preface with when I was discussing this with John Locke John Locke he asked me many things and we traied to make it initially balanced. His help in no way meant it would be automatically approved.

That being said the distance was meant to be dependant. Closer systems would be easier to reach and the further out it is like across the galaxy would only have some small area that would be able to surprise near the helioplause of the system. Closer ones could get a larger gravity well but stretching it through sub-hyperspace would greatly reduce the effects.

Krass Wyms Krass Wyms , I think that this probably requires a more clear/explicit guidelines in terms of effect and range.

I can see this possibly reaching across the galaxy but having a very small, almost miniscule effect, whereas the closer the targets are to the interdictor, the more effective this will be. This part is simply a matter of power. Both gravity well projectors (conventional) and the ability to access sub-hyperspace both use extreme amounts of power (and while I'm at this, it should probably be explicitly restricted only to battlecruisers, SSDs, and similarly sized battle stations). As power is projected over greater distances (or should I say over longer periods of time?) more power is going to be needed to get that range rather than getting the practical interdictor effect.

The amount of power needed by this is also likely to impact charge up and cool down times, as well as limit the duration that this field can be active. It takes about 30 seconds for a traditional gravity well projector to come online. The cool down time in some sources is listed as 40 seconds (8 'rounds' in WEG). Duration is something that is implied to be time limited in a number of sources, but there aren't any explicit times or guidelines that I'm aware of. These are areas that I'd like to see described in here as well.

Aiming is another consideration with this. With conventional gravity well projectors, the further away a target is, the harder it is to get accurate fire. This is one of those kind of intuitive things for anyone who's fired a weapon (or played a videogame in which one is fired). We also have to consider that there is going to be a huge number of potential factors that could interfere with the successful projection of such power (other masses in hyperspace, rotational differences between different parts of the galaxy, etc) that are going to limit practical accuracy. I think that this should probably have some disclaimer in here that accuracy is effected by range from the target, meaning that the further it is away, the more likely that this gravity well won't be in the right spot to interdict a ship or a fleet, or that it won't take a whole lot of movement in subspace for them to clear the gravity well's practical effect.

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Thank you and I altered the weaknesses, the size restriction was always there with 5k meters and above but the power and ability to run it was added as well as the accuracy.

If more needs to be done I shall get upon it when I wake up in the morning it is late.

Junko Ike Junko Ike , the changes look pretty solid to me.

Of the changes, my only request would be to make the accuracy at long ranges a little more explicit in its limitations. Saying something like "the gravity well at longer ranges is frequently imprecise enough that many ships can maneuver in short order to an area clear of gravitational disturbances and jump into hyperspace".

It's late here, and I may be missing this, but did we cover radius of effect in here? If it's about the same as a normal interdictor field, I think it's a no-brainer to approve it. Otherwise, that may be something else for us to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom