Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No one takes care of you quite like family

Shae had to pause to really think about it. "184?" she answered, though she didn't sound entirely certain. Once she reached a certain point, she stopped counting the years so diligently, but she was somewhat sure that she was in the general area of correct. "My father was Ruferalahuin and that is where I got my need to consume Force-rich substances. I don't know how long I will live since I'm only a halfling, but our people have been known to live for centuries."

Urz had found the prey they were tracking and flushed it out. Without even thinking, Shae raised her bow and fired, her arrow striking the beast true in the flank. It was still moving, so moving purely on muscle memory Shae drew another arrow and fired again, this time striking the beast in the spine. It went down but it was still struggling to escape. Shae padded over and knelt beside it, whispering a few words in her native tongue to thank it for its sacrifice, and planted a hunting knife at the base of its skull to finally kill it. Then she set about harvesting blood and the liver, the parts that would be the most useful to her specifically, but it was still a perfectly normal beast and it's meat would still be good for the rest of the crew; and Kenna could cook a killer steak, so waste not want not...

"My father and little brother were killed by pirates when I was just a young thing. I don't remember how old I was at the time, but I was tiny," Shae continued as she dressed her kill, tossing scraps to Urz as a treat. "My mother was a merchant and all of us lived on her ship. After we were raided and Father died, she couldn't bear to continue her routes, so she sold her ship and we returned to her home world, and that's where I stayed until old age finally took her from me as well. Since I was never really accepted on her world, I left and tried to find someplace where I would have some peace, but the galaxy has not been a kind place for me..."

[member="Malcom Renolds"]

What would probably be surprising to her was he didn't react almost at all at the number she gave him. What none of them, even Kenna knew, was most his entire family were Shi'ido. They too lived for centuries. So he was quite used to the concept. "Well, lookin' good. Somehow, I doubt I will look so well at that age." He finished with a bit of laughter.

The conversation soon stopped when they noticed they had picked up the trail of a possible target. Malcom had raised his rifle to take a shot if Shae missed. But it was a pointless concern as it turned out. As tired as she seemed to be, she still was able to take out the animal with little effort. "Nice." He said casually as he walked back up to her.

Malcom nodded as she continued her story. "Aye, it's a cruel galaxy. I never knew my folks. I was adopted into the clan just like you. But we make the best of it, and remember the stuff that is good. At least that is how I try to live my life."

Casting another glance at the kill, he tilted his head curiously. "So is that it? Or do we need more?"

[member="Shae Kalin"]

"This is sufficient," Shae answered as she finished skinning the beast, deciding to take the hide as well. She rolled everything up in the hide, looking at the beast's remains sadly; the beast was large and there was only so much they could take back with them, so this kill was a bit too wasteful for her liking, but at least the critters in the wilds would eat well tonight... "It is difficult to remember the good times when there are so many bad ones, but I have a feeling things will get better now," she said in a hopeful tone. As they began their trek back to the ship, Shae glanced out of the corner of her eye to the man she would call brother. "You were adopted as well? What happened?" she asked, then blinked, "I-if it's alright for me to ask, that is, I do not wish to pry. And will I be required to take make any changes to my name?" she asked as an afterthought. It was silly to ask, she knew, and it wasn't like she minded taking the name Renolds, but there wasn't much she knew about Mandalorian culture in regards to this sort of thing. Much of her knowledge was second hand and hearsay, but she did know some of the language and knew that the armor was an important aspect of the culture, but when it came to familial customs, her knowledge was sparse.

A small smirk tugged at the corner of his mouth while she spoke and they packed up the last bit of the animal they could realistically haul away. "Aye. I am indeed. And it's no bother. I honestly don't remember my birth parents. They died when I was very young. But my family took me in without reservation, even with me being a different race than most of them. They cared for me as any parent would. And I love them as any son would his natural birth parents." Shouldering his load, he started to walk back to the ship.

"As for changing your name...it is up to you." He added with a shrug. "Most do, but not all. My people believe believe a parent is one that actually takes care of you, loves you, and brings you up in the ways of the warrior. Blood lines matter little us. Which is why most will change their name." A bit wordy perhaps. But he wanted to make sure she got a good understanding on how she would be viewed.

[member="Shae Kalin"]

"I will seriously consider the matter," Shae replied. "I have no ties to my name anymore, any remaining family I might have would not acknowledge me, and yet I've had this name for 180-some-odd years, the idea of changing it suddenly seems strangely bizarre," she admitted candidly, offering a small laugh as they walked. Oh, how was it that the return trip felt longer than the walk out, wasn't it supposed to feel shorter? That's how it always worked before. She could practically hear her bed calling her name and she so desperately wanted to answer it's call by feeding her weary body to its warm embrace, but the walk back to the ship seemed to be taking forever.

"Okay, my first act of business as your new 'little' sister... Carry me," she stated bluntly, grinning mischievously. "I want a piggy-back ride, and don't you dare tell me you can't, because you're a big, tough Mando and I weigh practically next to nothing." Yeah, just ignore the fact that he was wearing a jet pack and heavy armor and they were both carrying a load of goods from the hunt; he could do it, she believed in him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom