Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Nightmare Child' Is Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
Catalyst Submission - Take a good, long look.

Before I begin, this needs to be addressed no matter what, for obvious reasons.

Valiens Nantaris:

I'm thinking that to accept this I'm going to have to ask for the hyperspace ability to be removed.
Darth Praelior:

That can be done and it is, all references to it being able to travel through hyperspace have been removed.
Still contained within the submission:

Able to travel through hyperspace: The nightmare child is able to travel and make hyperspace jumps to transport itself to follow its master or search for good.

It can make hyperspace jumps to find food or when directed by a controller... but it will not be creating complex plans or learning in its single minded path of destruction.

Now, my second point is that this is nothing less than a superweapon. We are talking about a creature that is longer and fatter than a capital ship. It wouldn't even take both hands to count the amount of current capital ship models on the board over this length. And if this creature is not a superweapon, then the person capable of controlling said creature is a superweapon themselves.

I know the judge imposed rather significant challenges on the submission in the form of huge dev threads and the like. I realize it was reluctantly approved and I believe in the integrity of the judge. But this should not exist. Ever.

This is a ticket to one-hit a capital ship. This is a ticket to one-hit an entire invasion objective. This is an instrument that can wipe out an entire NPC army and really is just about invincible. The weaknesses are pitiful and some even are disguised strengths. The fact that one person can control this basically means that they are the creature in question and can maneuver it however they wish. It's an extension of the controller and can be used to attack anything it can drill itself into. It could be used to scrape entire armies off the ground like a bug off a car windshield, or it can be used to target PC characters and force death or at least some ludicrous writing just to escape. This is a world devastator in a biological form.

This 'Nightmare Child' is ridiculous for a faction to control outside of a specified event, as per the superweapon rules. This is absolutely broken. B-R-O-K-E-N. I don't care if what I say is unpopular or if the OS players hate me. There needs to be a little commonsense around here. A 2km-long creature with a diameter of 500m that can be controlled by an individual is indecent at the least.

This is why the Chaos brand of Force gods are disgusting, and I'm not ashamed to say that. Don't tell me I'm ruining your fun. This is ruining mine and plenty of other people's fun. You can't have it both ways. And it's only going to get worse from here. People are going to start one-upping crud of this caliber, and I know this because this 'Nightmare Child' is in and of itself intended to one-up.

This isn't even Star Wars. This is an RP nightmare.

[member="Beowoof"]
Hmm, I had assumed that all the references had been removed. I'll go manually remove them.

As for your other points, they are well noted.

However, there are some occasions when one must trust a member. This is one of those occasions. Since it is stuck in one system it will only be encountered there.
That's one point. The other is that if the writer was stupid enough to do that the submission would be instantly denied, and I would be questioning their fitness to be a Codex Judge. They know this. We've discussed it. I approved this because I trust them to use it properly, in the full understanding that what is given can be taken away.

Give and take.

Think of it as a test of character. As it were.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
Yeah I missed those sorry I thought I had gotten them all and to note. The sith have had a 2km worm able to be controlled at times by a single member since... before I joined it appeared at the sith dominion of metalorn and as recently as the battle of Alderaan where Val'ryss used it to destroy the palace. As it was made before submissions were required by a handful of alchemists along with its transportation a large carrier specifically built to transport it. Believe me this has went through several people and made to be worked for.

At least it is not a 19 km worm (approximately the size of the Super-Star-Destroyer Executor from movie VI).

I agree that it should be watched, not that my opinion has much pull, but I am saying it anyway. I would keep a close eye on it, but if the judges deem the owner trustworthy then I guess there is not too much to complain about at this time.

I don't think immediate action should be taken, unless there has already been a breach in what is considered proper use. However, from the judges' posts above, I would safely assume that so far the worm has not been used improperly.

On another note, I find it rather disingenuous that we’re having this discussion. Practically everything can be misused if you have the mind to do so. Calling out another writer for something they submitted before seeing it used seems petty to my mind. If it is used improperly, by all means report it, and I will attend to it personally. However bringing up how it might be abused is unhelpful, especially considering that every faction had ships which can BDZ a planet.

No one is more aware of the dangers of giving one player a power up. However, it is, in the end, a simple paradox to resolve. If [member="Matsu Ike"] doesn’t abuse it there is no problem – enemies will come up with counter-measures to deal with it. And let’s face it…how many fleeting battles have actually gone full term this year? Zero? One?

Also, since you were so kind as to be upfront with your opinions regardless of others' feelings, I think I'll be upfront with mine.

Beowoof said:
This is why the Chaos brand of Force gods are disgusting, and I'm not ashamed to say that. Don't tell me I'm ruining your fun. This is ruining mine and plenty of other people's fun. You can't have it both ways. And it's only going to get worse from here. People are going to start one-upping crud of this caliber, and I know this because this 'Nightmare Child' is in and of itself intended to one-up. This isn't even Star Wars. This is an RP nightmare.

This is probably the most pretentious bullcrap I've heard regarding a Factory submission. If you were being forced to interact with this fluffy superweapon in order to do any kind of RP, "ruining your fun" would be a legitimate complaint. You are not required to interact with it, or the person who controls it, or anyone in that faction. You're not even required to interact with any faction, and indeed a lot of us have plenty of fun without touching the bothersome politics of the site.

A superweapon is a plot device. It exists to fill a role in someone else's story. If it is not your story, and isn't affecting your story, and isn't forcing you to pursue other stories, there is no reason to complain about it. There is absolutely no reason to fling venemous words at others over a makebelieve creature they workshopped to have some fun with other people who are workshopping makebelieve creatures. Get off your high horse, please, and go RP.

Hijinks

Cheshire Shi'ido
f8a.gif

Beowoof said:
Catalyst Submission - Take a good, long look.
This is why the Chaos brand of Force gods are disgusting, and I'm not ashamed to say that. Don't tell me I'm ruining your fun. This is ruining mine and plenty of other people's fun. You can't have it both ways. And it's only going to get worse from here. People are going to start one-upping crud of this caliber, and I know this because this 'Nightmare Child' is in and of itself intended to one-up.

This isn't even Star Wars. This is an RP nightmare.
I believe we've had this discussion over EU, and why apparently a select few hate it for the above mentioned "1+ the next villain".

I have absolutely no idea where you're drawing from that this absurd submission is trying to one-up anything, as there is not even a comparison between it and an Exogorth, which ranges up to 900 meters fully grown - and is the largest creature in EU lore.

Now, I'm going to go ahead and address the actual issue I have with your post, and that is that you obviously dislike the use of the Force in Star Wars in any method beyond push, pull, and lightning. Now, that would be perfectly fine if you would not have gone a step or ten further and completely disrespected every single member of the board that happens to use any force characters ever. If the major aspect of Star Wars "ruins your fun" then I suggest you re-think what you find as fun and why you are involved in a universe where the Force exists. To be quite honest, pretty much everyone is wary of this creature, and I'm sure it'll die in the first thread it is introduced in - if one even takes place, but your scathing dislike for every single force user and petty name calling is beyond insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom