Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private New Tide on Distant Shores

PSncKiJ.png

:: Resa, Kestri

The Briirud was built upon a bluff in Resa, a village buffeted by looming peaks of a nearby mountain ranges from the biting winds of Kestri. Like much else in the reclusive community, the Round House had been hand-built. It was a large structure designed to hold the Mandokarla that resided there, their students, and their guests. At its center was a circular room with an eternal flame that brought warmth to the chamber where mentor and student alike could share, train, or meditate. Other rooms dotted the corridors for small gatherings or private exchanges. Most of the rooms with sparse furnishing often consisting of cabinets and beds were largely on the second floor of the building that was nearly as tall as it was wide. Even the art or displays that could be seen lining the Main Hall that stretched from the towering from doors to the central chamber were largely hand made or reflected Mandaloran culture.

There were a few amenities that were not handcrafted of natural materials. The Mandokarla sought to offer a retreat from the everyday distractions of the wider galaxy, but they were not ascetics that shunned technology. While candles or lanterns could often been seen and used for lighting, modern lighting ensured ample illumination in the halls of the Briirud. Heating elements ensured the bitter cold of Kestri did not make the matter of survival its own distraction. Those that needed to train in the cold were given plenty of opportunity to do so, when the training regimine called for it.

Many that came to the Mandokarla required counsel, but that did not limit counselor or guest from engaging in physical activity. They were still Mandalorian, after all. Even the Mandokarla's own rites involved elements of battle though rarely with blasters. Their Speaker's own wooden swords were known to correct unruly students, as well as test the prepardedness of rising pupils among the Mandokarla's ranks. It could be hard work, and a simple life, but the food was plentiful and the satisfaction in helping their brothers and sisters get back on their proverbial feet well worth it.

Adorned with her cloak of many dark feathers, the Speaker stood at the ledge of the bluff. Her hazel eyes peered out over the village of Resa below. A few residents could be seen moving through the streets. Some exchanged words or bartered their trades to furnish their dwellings with the arts and crafts of their people. Every now and then there was even the ring of someone at work at a forge. They might not be a Great Forge that would supply countless armaments for a War, but there were many things you could build with a good hammer that didn't involve bloodletting.

The air was crisp and untouched by industry. Only the scent of burning wood danced on the currents of wind that blew by now and again.

Q1C3xHp.png

| Location | Resa, Kestri
| Objective | Rest, and Grow

Jenn had never been to Resa before. Perhaps because of how little attachment she felt for Kestri - in spite of the location of Kayatr'ade Forges in Tor Valum. No, her cyar'ika wanted to do business somewhere less desolate, more heavily populated, and so the both of them had opened a joint venture on Hefi. A chance for people to stop by, get their weapons and armour looked at, as well as their ships: more often than not, Mandalorians preferred to tend to the many needs required by a hunter in one go. It was expedient, profitable, and allowed the both of them to buy a pleasant little apartment above their shop.

But Resa was exactly what she needed. A place of utmost beauty, to be sure, yet one blessed with a sense of appreciation for nature. For a simpler existence, far away from all the bustle of city life... a peaceful village where all present were honored vode, united in their desire to seek enlightenment. Peace and clarity were so much easier for her to find here - and, unlike the waters of Scarif, Jenn was at no risk of losing herself. Although it had certainly taken her some time to adapt at first, the Ersansyr had eventually come to appreciate Resa and its peaceful existence. There was no need to fear the looks other gave her here. Why, she had the utmost pleasure of sharing anecdotes with other smiths by the forge.

All the best to temper her ambition, let it cool, and ultimately come to the realization that she knew what she wished to do, and to become. There were but few of her Clan, and, loathe as she was to seek glory in a bid for leadership, she found the confidence within herself to reach for something more. To become Alor of Clan Kryze - if the Speaker judged such a course of action to be prudent.

And, at last, she felt ready to approach the woman who had invited her here. Runi had made a point to give her some time before adopting the role of teacher, but with her mind far more quiet now that it had been during their first meeting, she dared to approach the mystic, the sound of snow crunching under her footsteps no doubt alerting the mystic to her arrival.

"I have come, Jorhaa'ir, should my presence not be an intrusion."

Runi slowly turned her head to the side to look over her shoulder at Jenn as the woman announced herself. In due course, the Speaker slowly pivoted to better regard the woman as she stood there in the cold. Resa was not spared the chill of Kestri, but it did have many hills, outcroppings, and of course the mountain range to stave off the worst of the winds -- enough to make it habitable on the surface, if not balmy.

"Jenn." A small smile graced her lips. She extended a hand out toward the other woman. "All are welcome here. Have you settled in?"

While the Speaker had given the young woman her space, Runi hadn't put her out of mind until that moment. Other Mandokarla spoke of Jenn's well-being and that she received whatever she required to be comfortable. Not lavish accommodations -- Resa was not a resort -- but enough. Everyone received their share of all resources based on their physiological and psychological needs. Naturally, Runi was pleased things had gone progressed for Jenn to approach her now.

What decision had Jenn made? Their time on Scarif had certainly indicated much weighed on her thoughts. Fortunate the other woman had not acted in haste, but equally so she had not taken too long to take the next step. There were many more that would need to follow. Jenn might have her entire life ahead of her to do so, but Runi knew few felt like waiting so long to see tangible 'progress.'

Q1C3xHp.png

| Objective | Speak truly

The sights offered by Resa were certainly breathtaking - and so very rooted in nature that she found herself lost in admiration on more than one occasion. Most people were afraid of nature, she realized, of its raw and naked beauty... but not her. Meditation came far more easily here, away from all the noise, all the people, all the worries that came with those densely populated areas.

"I have, Runi. Thank you for inviting me to Resa. This is a place of... great beauty." Reaching out to clasp her hand around the Speaker's forearm in a warrior's salute, she accompanied her words with a firm nod, before bringing her hands to her helmet in order to remove it. Keeping it on when in the presence of someone who did not was, if she was honest with herself, rather impolite. Inhaling deeply through her gills, she took some time to ponder on how to voice her conclusions after settling in with the rest of the Mandokarla and their visitors. Theirs was a different existence to her own, and yet one she respected, and found herself compelled to emulate.

"Vengeance will be mine... one day. But, right now? That is not a path I care to thread." As soon as she uttered those words, the Nite Owl felt a great weight being lifted off her shoulders. Being a slave to necessity was not nobility, but folly: she knew that much. Denying one's aspirations in the name of duty led only to repressed emotions, and eventually, ruin. Looking into Runi's eyes, she made her choice, then.

"I seek to join the Mandokarla. For my own sake - and also in the interest of being a wise Alor to my Clan."

Runi regarded the woman for a long moment. It was good to hear that Jenn would be mindful of her desire for vengeance. There was more to it than that, but the sentiment spoke of having time to explore the deeper currents that might wash away whatever else Jenn gained. It would not do for all her hard work to be for naught. Especially given the declaration that followed.

It was not unheard of for an Alor to be of the Mandokarla, but neither was it common place. Most Clans were influenced by if not dedicated toward hunting, bounties, or war. Someone steeped in the more spiritual elements was not often a boisterous leader of masses -- though Runi was loathe to admit it. If Jenn wished to try... so long as Runi did not feel she was only interested for learning how to use the Manda for battle. True, better her than a Sith, but the Manda should never be used for personal gain or elevation -- even for a Clan.

"You are welcome to our fire, Jenn, but know as a Student of the Mandokarla there is no distinction between Alor and another." Not that Runi suspected the woman wouldn't understand, but it needed said anyway. Best expectations be set early on. "I would enjoy speaking to you about your vision for your Clan, as well." Seeing how it was not often such a union occurred, Runi was curious of Jenn's thoughts.

"We will have much time to exchange ideas along the way. There is much to learn, of yourself, the Manda, and all between." Jenn wouldn't be bored that much was certain. As with so many other things, the Mandokarla stood somewhere in the middle of the Jedi and Sith. As Mandalorians a rigorous physical workout was not unfamiliar even to the 'spiritualists' among their society. Philosophy was shared, of course, and even training in the use of powers, but never an over-reliance on those powers (if the student even possessed any).

"Would you care to begin now, or have you a few matters to see to first? I do not think you require the Rite of Recognition, unless you demand it, Jenn," Runi added. That Rite was more often used for someone that had yet to don their first beskar'gam, or was still young in the ways of the Mandalorian. However, an initiate could always ask for it regardless of their time among their own. It was not quite as formal as the later Rite of Dedication when a Student graduated, of course; it would be predominantly symbolic in Jenn's case.

Q1C3xHp.png

| Objective | Speak Truly

Runi's words were met with a polite cant of her head from the Alor-to-be, ever the humble soul - no matter where her ambitions might rest. This was still the honest smith the Speaker had met on Scarif, unchanged in the purity of her intent as well as her aims. "I would expect nothing less", answered the Ersansyr, hoping to make her lack of interest in preferential treatment as clear as possible. "It would be my privilege to share my vision for Clan Kryze with you, Jorhaa'ir."

Jenn had much to learn, still - and so she armed herself with humility and patience, all too aware that she was far, far out of her element. Resa proved to be a haven where she could turn her gaze inward and work on bettering herself, rather than drowning herself in anxiety... but it was a place of mysticism she scarcely understood, too.

"I am ready to begin, Runi", answered the proud smith with a nod. "I see no reason to undergo the Rite of Recognition. My days as a foundling are long past." Simpler days, to be sure... although she had lost her family with the fall of Mandalore, Jenn had been given a rare privilege: to be raised as a true daughter of Clan Kryze, treated no differently from one born in the Clan.

The Speaker gave a slight nod of her head in recognition of Jenn's choice. "So shall it be."

Runi completed the turn and faced Jenn. One hand lifted as her wrist rolled. Five small balls of blue energy began circling a shared center over the open palm of her hand. "The first lesson: all that was, all that is, all that will ever be is a dream. We come from the Manda. We return to the Manda." Her hazel eyes faintly flowed from the light of the orbiting balls of energy. "Do not mistake what I say. It is a dream given form, eager to be shaped and shape in turn."

The five balls shrank into the circle and became one as more, large balls joined it in a slower dance. "I say this so that you may think on it in your time with us. To ponder its meaning to you as you grow. And to understand that when I say that all is the Manda, all is the Manda and is worthy of respect. To do harm to another is to harm yourself."

"There is no shame in defending you and yours. As Alor you are responsible for all those in your Clan. Their well-being, their lives all rest with you and hard choices will be demanded as your dream clashes with others. But take to heart that while such is your duty, and your heart, all dreams with you now. Those ignorant of their Mandalorian soul are deserving of an open hand as much as your brother or your sister in the hope that one day, one life they may come to understand their place in all things."
The balls of energy grew in number a she spoke until they formed a lose array that spun idly about a single point, brighter toward its center.

A small smile graced Runi's lips. "The first lesson is often the most important, is it not?" No one said the first lesson had to be easy or simple. They were Mandalorians -- difficulty was merely a challenge for them to overcome and grow stronger.

She stood in observation of Jenn, awaiting questions or silence of contemplation that might become understanding. If the latter, Runi would move to the next lesson in introducing the broad-strokes of the Mandokarla to the new initiate. They would not all be lecture by word, but much would be given to think upon in the woman's time with them.

Q1C3xHp.png

| Location | Reasa, Kestri
| Objective | Listen and Learn

Determined as she was to pay close attention to the teachings of the honored Jorhaa'ir, Jenn's brows furrowed as the mystic went on, calmly explaining the truth of existence, her eyes following the balls of energy with rapt interest. Evidently, the notion of all she has ever known being a dream left her a little puzzled at first, the practical approach she held to the world as a smith seemingly conflicting with the teachings of the Mandokarla - until Runi spoke of the idea of the dream being malleable. Something to shape, and to be shaped by. That much, she could clearly understand.

No words escaped her lips, but her eyes betrayed her amazement as the balls shrank to form a circle. Transformation of one thing into another was mercifully easy for one such as herself to understand: not merely a smith, but a shapeshifter as well. As new, larger balls emerged to dance around the circle, Jenn found her interest piqued even further with Runi's mention of the duty she would need to fulfill as the Alor of her Clan. It was a daunting proposition, to be sure: looking after the well-being of those who sought to become part of her family was one thing, to be sure, but the words of wisdom that followed? Those evoked something else altogether.

"As important as it is complex", mumbled the would-be Alor. And yet... a gentle smile soon pulled at her lips, mirroring Runi's own as her gaze finally parted from the wondrous sight before her, choosing instead to look upon the shaman. This, she realized, was vindication. Her duty was to defend her Clan, to provide for them - as a Protector should! And that was precisely what kind of person she chose to be.

"My dream will clash with others outside of my Clan, I am sure of it - and I have accepted that truth. But... I am not quite sure I understand your meaning, as you speak of those ignorant of their Mandalorian soul."

No one said dreams were orderly, the Speaker thought as the younger woman spoke a truth. Runi listened attentively until Jenn suggested a question. "All life cannot be of the Manda and not be Mandalorian," she replied calmly. "Most simply have not realized it. Our ways are not ones of comfort or complacency. They do not seek to enrich or empower the individual. Whether in this life or the next, perhaps they will awaken to understanding their connection to the Manda," and the greater whole. Everyone could become a Foundling and find new purpose in their lives if they dedicated themselves to the cause.

"One that acknowledges their place among us are welcome. And they will be known by their deeds, not their words. Those that claim to live for the Clan or the Manda, and claim to strive to become stronger as a whole, and yet act only in dishonor and bring shame upon themselves..." The Speaker trailed off for a moment. "They can find swift correction, or new opportunities in their next life." Some did claim to be Mandalorian and yet acted nothing of the sort. They were damned by their own actions, especially as so many refused to repent and seek to make up for their transgression. Runi was not opposed to sending someone on to be reborn for another chance, if the situation warranted it; it was simply better for a soul to find strength in this life sooner than in the next later.

Q1C3xHp.png

Jenn's eyes widened in surprise in the face of Runi's words. Evidently, it was... somewhat difficult, for her to understand (and accept!) the facts presented by the Speaker. After all, she had met plenty of people she would rather have seen erased than having even the slightest chance to become her kin! And even then, most outsiders who chose to become Mandalorian were foundlings, taken in from a young age and raised in the ways of their rescuers. An adult choosing to uproot their life in such a manner was unusual, although not unheard of. And then, there was the manner in which Runi presented it, as if all were already of the Mando'ade, if merely blind to a truth the shaman understood.

"Could a Jedi?" The words left her lips before she could truly stop herself, borne of her immense curiosity. For all of the respect she held for the Jedi and their creed, Jenn felt naught but frustration before the hypocrisy they shrouded themselves with every single day. Were they peacekeepers, or warriors? Each and every single time, she struggled against her own perception of them, trying not to judge them as hypocrites pretending to be one or the other depending on what would best suit their interest at the moment.

A mere nod was all she gave in answer to Runi's point about those who spoke rather than acted. Those who promised much, but delivered little were to be held in contempt. And yet, her features betrayed some measure of thoughtfulness, and perhaps even a hint of conflict. So many accusations levelled against her people for lacking honor by aruetii, whose words mattered little to a proud child of Mandalore... but what if some of them were true? What if some had brought dishonor to themselves and their clan through their actions?

"A Jedi?" There was a brief pause, but Runi continued in short order, "They are no less a Child of the Manda, Jenn. Do not expect them to act as one that dons beskar'gam," more a statement that Runi was not a hopeless philosopher, "but they return to its embrace in the end. Take care prejudice does not cloud your interactions with others. Even the beasts or the inanimate may be deserving of more respect than some hold for them. Life is the most evident of the Manda's presence, but all is the Manda." Not that everyone was prepared to hear and accept such a sentiment. Some often felt uncomfortable with the idea. Only because they did not understand the Manda did not sit in judgment, but Runi would save such rumination for if the woman inquired now or later of it.

Additionally, the Speaker added, "If you study long enough with us you may learn how to commune with the Manda in such a way you can shape it -- what Jedi or Sith call 'Force Abilities.'" If you could perceive the Manda at its fundamental, and could touch it, then you could influence its shape. Another deep topic for those in the Mandokarla with such aptitude. Some did not posses it; they were not held in any less esteem.

Hazel eyes regarded the younger woman for a moment to see if she had more questions. There was much to discuss, but Runi was no in a rush to drown Jenn in the ways of a spiritualist.

Q1C3xHp.png

"I hold no prejudice against the Jedi - there is one among them I call friend. Perhaps the dearest friend I have." A particularly delicate truth for her to share with others, particularly those among her people who looked upon the Jedi as lying, betraying sorcerers. They were, after all, easily vindicated by Catechisms XII and XIV: enmity, when made a significant part of their creed, could not be so easily left behind. And yet, she chose to share such a dangerous facet of her life with the Speaker without fear, trusting her unconditionally. Her greatest weakness, perhaps, in the eyes of some - how intensely she trusted.

"I understand your wisdom, Runi, I only - find myself wrapping my head around it all." A nod followed her words, her hand waving towards the world around them, her expression one of thoughtfulness. "If all life is of the Manda, then... is all life not sacred? If any one soul may one day realize that their place is among us, then... hatred feels - well and truly pointless." Evidently, the notion was, while accepted by the Alor, one that brought about a great deal of consideration.

Runi nodded with Jenn's statement a Jedi was one of or the dearest friend she had. In the current clime, a risky statement to share with certain parties -- whose membership may not be known until their reaction registered. The Speaker, however, had no such compunction toward hostile or violent regard. Did she agree with them in all things? Hardly. They were arguably closer to her own beliefs than the Sith, however; a Jedi could grow strong without succumbing to their emotions. Nonetheless, the Mandokarla were not driven toward policing the galaxy -- a lesson she taught vigorously and often among their number.

The feather-cloaked woman stood patiently as Jenn mulled over some implications of Runi's statements.

A small smile pulled at the Speaker's lips. "Were the foundations of this galaxy not skewed since its inception, such would be the truth. Such should be what all strive for in the end. Hatred can be a useful tool in desperate times, but as the Sith often discover -- yet refuse to acknowledge -- it can be as equally ensnaring as any shackle."

"But life is not 'scared' as most use the term, Jenn. It is not something to sacrifice all to ensure the greatest number. Many lifeforms must consume others in order to survive; that does not make them vile, evil, or deprave. All life, however, is worthy of respect. Senseless or needless slaughter may kill the victim, but it wounds the killer. They lose respect for all that is around them. They lose respect for their own existence -- what does anything matter when all is so easily crushed? And a soul may come to recognize its place in the greater embrace of the Manda."
Runi gave Jenn a small smile again. "I always say it is better to embrace the Manda in this life rather than wait for the next."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom